Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

I want to add that I'm halfway through my first time seeing Desperado (wife picked it), and not only am I giving it an A already, I'm giving myself an F for not already seeing this.

I am ashamed of myself right now, fn ashamed.

Antonio Banderas smacking people with a guitar and blood spitting out their mouth?

Selma Hayek, period.

Machete out of nowhere?

Quinten Tarantino in a movie not dropping the n-bomb with impunity, let alone even once?  I thought that was impossible :ols:

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I want to add that I'm halfway through my first time seeing Desperado (wife picked it), and not only am I giving it an A already, I'm giving myself an F for not already seeing this.

I am ashamed of myself right now, fn ashamed.

Antonio Banderas smacking people with a guitar and blood spitting out their mouth?

Selma Hayek, period.

Machete out of nowhere?

Quinten Tarantino in a movie not dropping the n-bomb with impunity, let alone even once?  I thought that was impossible :ols:

If you haven't seen it, watch El Mariachi. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Liam Neeson is like Keanu Reeves in that he's basically the same person in every movie now, jus slightly different scenarios / backstories.

When I saw the trailer for this, I was like "damn, what is this Taken 16: Taken Again?"

Great actor, love him, but damn, for real, b?

Good actor though. I watched “Honest Thief”, a movie of his that came out in 2020, on Amazon Prime.

Gets a solid B from me.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

1824636778_200(3).gif.f42a6be4b7016473b19e17be6dd17810.gif

Ohz noz, you went there :ols:

It's true, though, no argument from me on that one. *tips hat

That's why I respect the hell out of Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio. Even Justin Timberlake. And I'm filled with envious rage towards them LOL

They've taken some pretty big risks in their career... showed some serious acting chops (range).... and have really put some incredibly unflattering scenes of themselves on tape.... because they're F'n professionals.

• Like 3

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (new one on Netflix).

Meh.  Has some moments but overall it's just extremely forgettable and pretty bad.  It feels so low budget too (probably is).  The very end of the movie was just really stupid too.

The violence/graphic'ness is so extreme and over the top that it is comical and made me laugh instead of cringing.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1

"Summer of Soul" on Disney+. Incredible music. It's amazing how little I knew about this festival and how long it lasted. if you don't know it was a music festival in Harlem in 1969 that lasted weeks.
A good mix of history and incredible footage of the festival. Great performances by Sly and the Family Stone, Chambers Brothers, Stevie Wonder, The Staples Singes, and my favorite performance, Gladys Knight and the Pips. 
Good stuff.

~Bang

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Bang said:

"Summer of Soul" on Disney+. Incredible music. It's amazing how little I knew about this festival and how long it lasted. if you don't know it was a music festival in Harlem in 1969 that lasted weeks.
A good mix of history and incredible footage of the festival. Great performances by Sly and the Family Stone, Chambers Brothers, Stevie Wonder, The Staples Singes, and my favorite performance, Gladys Knight and the Pips. 
Good stuff.

~Bang

Summer of Soul is incredible.  Sly is absolutely on fire.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Seeing The Batman in an hour. Will provide my full report to all the bataholics out there 

I just saw it. Wow.  A great movie. A little dark and broody; perfect for the Dark Knight. Robert Patterson was perfect as Batman. He wasn’t much of a Bruce Wayne though. Micheal Keaton and Christian Bale were better Bruce Wayne’s.

They probably could cut 30 minutes from the movie but it didn’t feel like a 3 hour movie.

Who’s the best Batman? I don’t know but this movie might be if not the best Batman; then second after The Dark Knight.

Movie gets a solid A. Not A+, because it did get slow at one point; the 30 minutes they could’ve shaved off.

Spoiler

That Riddler reveal was WTF. That’s who the Riddler is. I assuming The Joker will be in The Batman 2.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

Just got home. Blew me away. 

It’s up there with the best Batman movies hands down but it’s really hard to compare with them because it’s such a different movie. Like this isn’t a Hollywood blockbuster Batman with sarcasm or banter or rah rah hype moments. The Nolan trilogy had those moments that were just pure adrenaline pumping hype. Don’t expect that, this is something different entirely. It’s a dark, disturbing, tense, and brutal murder mystery detective thriller. It’s not a fun movie if that makes sense but it is crazy enjoyable. It’s like watching Seven, or Zodiac but with Batman. This was the showcase for the detective Batman that we never really got to see before. That’s not to say there aren’t badass moments because there certainly are. There isn’t a weak fight or action moment in the movie honestly. It’s all shot and choreographed really well while staying grounded to what this movie is trying to be. 

I expected Pattinson to be great in this because he is a terrific actor but he exceeded my expectations. Easily my favorite Batman. Everting about this Batman is perfect from his suit, his fighting style, his bat mobile, his voice… it’s amazing. I love that the deep cut in his cowl so you get a lot more emoting out of Batman than you usually get when all you can see is their mouth. I think it’s the best interpretation of Batman yet. They really understand the character, everything that he is and should be as a year 2 hero, seasoned but still learning the ropes. Batman owns this movie too. This isn’t like previous movies where Batman shows up for 20-25 minutes of screen time. He is in damn near every scene in this movie. The small amount of time he is Bruce Wayne I enjoyed too. I like his interpretation of Bruce, just a guy that doesn’t give a **** about his money or status or what the world expects of him. He doesn’t put on a show. And little characterizations make a lot of difference. Like one scene Bruce squints while walking into a room in the mansion and you realize he really doesn’t come out much during the day at all. 

We get started right away and the world building that takes place in the first 10 minutes or so tell us everything we need to know.for the first time we get some Batman narration or inner monologue too which works so well for the character, he’s got a Rorsach from Watchmen feel. As a whole, it almost had a Mask of the Phantasm or animated series vibe to everything including Gotham which worked well for the story they wanted to tell. It really leaned into a the Long Halloween and even the Telltale Batman games in terms of story and tone. I loved this Gotham. It really annoyed me how in TDK and TDKR, it was so obviously Chicago or Pittsburgh. The city didn’t feel unique at all like in 89 Batman or even Batman Begins where they used CGi to add buildings or put the narrows in to set it apart. This one feels unique too and I really couldn’t tell where it was shot. We get to see how Batman impacts the city through fear and hope and it serves to help give Batman an actual arc in this movie that can be missing in a lot of others. 

the rest of the cast is fantastic as expected. Paul Dano stands out as the Riddler, a terrifying demented serial killer. I had a vision of this type of Riddler when ideas were being floated for TDK sequel but it wouldn’t have worked in that world. It’s perfect here and like so much else, works really well together with the other design and writing choices. Jeffrey Wright is a great Gordon and I love the dynamic between he and Batman while they work together as true partners, Farrell as the penguin is a serious take on the character as a mobster rather than a comical umbrella swinging weirdo. Zoe Kravitz shines as Selina Kyle and has white hot chemistry with Pattinson. 

The soundtrack is great too, with the original score standing out as well as the use of Something in the Way for the narration parts. When the first time through a movie you can recognize “wow that sounds awesome” you know it’s good. The Cinematography pops too with some shots that are sure to be iconic in the Batman world. The movie is very dark, I mean not much daylight at all but in some cases the rare lighting is used to brilliant effect such as gunshots in a dark alley being the only thing that can illuminate the action, or a silhouette against a rising sun. The Batmobile is badass and has the best introduction of any Bats movie prior.  Just an exhilarating wow moment 

overall, a fantastic edition to Batman mythology and what they appear to be setting up in a future movie is pretty exciting. I hope they continue this because it’s a Batman movie for Batman fans not a causal nonstop fan service parade. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2