Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Adam project was fine. Funny typical Ryan Reynolds being deadpool with varying degrees of profanity in every movie how. Had some heartfelt moments and decent action scenes but it wrapped up way too cleanly and easily with 0 consequence and impact imo. 

was looking for something with more emotional or thought provoking punch than this provided  

On 3/14/2022 at 7:07 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm here to pump the brakes on The Batman.  Not in an anti-establishment kind of way like @TradeTheBeal!does when he takes shots at anything that's popular which he hasn't seen or given a chance.  :)   I actually, you know, saw it.  

I liked it a lot but...

Reveal hidden contents

C'mon, when Batman and Catwoman are fighting in that scene when she's cracking the safe?  And then they have to hide around the corner when the cop comes in?  Dude, the ****ING SAFE IS OPEN!  It's not like they were being quiet either, it was a full out brawl and he's acting like he heard a bump in the closet.  

That said, you can see the tension between the two of them, how he's holding her, etc.  It's ****ing hot, and I don't think they really re-created that tension between the two of them for the rest of the movie.  As much of a smokeshow as Zoe Kravitz is, she's a lightweight in this role.  Pattinson, Jeffrey Wright, Colin Farrell, Turturro, and I didn't know who Paul Dano was before this movie but he was fantastic.  She just couldn't hang with them.  She wasn't terrible like Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3, but she also wasn't as great as the others, either.  

Speaking of Dano/Riddler, I also thought it was weird that he was the main bad guy throughout, yet for 75% of the movie all you saw from him was through video footage shot on iphones.  The scene where he gets taken down in the cafe and the face to face meeting with Batman, he was ****ing awesome, so much so that I think the face to face meeting he had with Batman rivaled that of Batman/Joker in The Dark Knight.   So much of the movie was wasted with him just being a weirdo sending out video messages that lacked terror and tension but no real terror or tension with him actually being on screen.  Why waste at talent like Dano by giving him hardly any screen time?  

The ending, like any comic book movie, IMO was flat as well.  Oh no, here's another terrible situation where a large group of unsuspecting people in public are faced with a terrible situation and the superhero has to save the day.  And wouldn't you know it, he takes a terrible fall and is hanging onto a cliff for dear life...not once, but twice!  And just when you think one of the bad guys (but not the real bad guy, because Riddler's in jail...it's one of his brainwashed goons) gets the drop on Batman, he predictably has trouble with his gun and then, of course, someone comes flying in from out of the frame to tackle him and save the day!  Catwoman coming in to save him was as predictable as a Scott Turner run up the middle on first down.  The one saving grace of the final scene was the water rushing in, an unstoppable force that Batman couldn't stop and had no answer for.  But all he had to do was take out a bunch of random incels with guns on a platform.  Who would believe that a bunch of people that Riddler recruited off the internet would be some lethal death squad?

And so I never really felt that Batman was never in any real danger.  This batsuit was practically 100% bulletproof.  There wasn't any peril for him.  That guy gets blown up by the bomb when he won't answer the third question and Batman's right THERE and nothing happens to him, there's no consequence?  That random funny scene where he's flying along and then wipes out in a terrible way and gets up with a limp?  C'mon.  

But this was a movie that was all about Batman being a fantastic detective and they did a decent job of providing some gravitas to that.  But the flying rat thing, ****ing seriously?  SERIOUSLY?   Oh, maybe it's a penguin, you know a ****ing bird that doesn't fly!  Has anyone EVER ANYWHERE in the history of the world confused a penguin with a flying rat?  Maybe it's a stool pigeon...hey, a pigeon has been referred to as a rat with wings...Falcone!  Yes, because FALCONS are known as flying ****ing rats, not an apex predator!  Oh wait, wait, ****ing WAIT what else could a flying rat be?  What other animal out there has been referred to as a flying rat or a rat with wings????!?!?!?!?  WAIT, I KNOW ITS A ****ING BAT!!!  How can the world's greatest detective who breezes through Riddler's not so great riddles throughout the entire movie not know it's a BAT.  

But outside of the obvious, everything came easy to Batman, he never struggled for too long with a code/cipher.  Maybe he really is the world's greatest detective but again...nothing really pushed back on Batman in this movie, IMO.  There wasn't much of a struggle anywhere for him, outside of reigning in his thoughts/feelings about, of course, the death of his parents.  

But speaking of his parents, it seemed that it was a massive surprise to him that he'd never heard anything about his parents hiding secrets.  I didn't find that believable at all.  He never knew about the articles written about the dark murky past?  He didn't know anything about the scandal that his dad was embroiled in?  No idea, really?  He spent his entire life not knowing anything about this?  Sure, Alfred wasn't going to tell him anything but I find it impossible that no one would have ever mentioned anything to Bruce Wayne that his parents weren't on the up and up.  And this is an amazing detective?

Random thoughts:  

The mayor elect gets shot and Gordon comes flying in to rescue her.  IIRC, she's taken it in the stomach and it looks pretty bad but 10 minutes later she's practically fine and she's wading through the water like it's no big deal?

I'm pretty sure Gordon existed to be at crime scenes and then ask a question and look up at Batman for an answer while being confused.  I don't think he solved anything the entire time.  

That all said, I really liked it.  It's not this film's fault that the ending to a comic book movie is, by nature, formulaic and cliche.  It's not this film's fault that a comic book movie asks you to suspend belief for a few hours but is inconsistent with things it's asking you to believe in.   I thought all the acting outside of Kravitz (who again, wasn't terrible, just wasn't great) was fantastic.  I like Pattinson as Batman and I think he was serviceable as Bruce Wayne.  He wasn't the Bruce Wayne that's jet-setting around with beautiful women, it's just a different take on the character and that's fine.  The way that it was shot, for the most part, was excellent and at times really beautiful.  The Batmobile was ****ing awesome and not used enough, IMO, it could have used another scene.  It also didn't really feel like a 3 hour movie.  

I'm giving it a solid B+ due to the performances of Pattinson, Wright (even though his character was written to be generally clueless), Dano and Farrell.  The Batmobile.  Using the broodiest Nirvana song at an expert level.  The way it was directed, filmed, the colors, and how dark it was.  I would slot it behind The Dark Knight at #1, Batman Begins at #2 and tied with the '89 Batman at #3.  

Thats good stuff, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Check out Paul Dani in There Will Be Blood which is an all time movie and performance by both him and DDL. Or Prisoner with High Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall. 

As for the ending:

Spoiler

The riddlers goons aren’t meant to be a threat to Batman. But mass shooters are a threat to everyone else and something Batman can’t easily stop. And they were drawn to and inspired by Riddler the same way he was drawn to and inspired by Batman. That’s the completion of Batman’s arc in this, realizing he’s out there calling himself vengeance and selfishly working through his trauma by beating people to a pulp and he inspired all of that. He needed to be more and become hope rather than just fear and vengeance on a cruel and corrupt world. He sees the same goon that he beat to a pulp and spoke to at the funeral tell Batman he was “vengeance”  which for Batman showed how he pushed him on that path by offering nothing but anger and rage 

it shows Bruce literally squinting when he finally returns to sunlight early in the film and stating “I am the shadow versus lighting a flare and embracing the light to save people after seeing how the citizens he was trying to help were terrified of him. Then we get the shot of him looking at the signal in the sky, in the early morning hours, covered in filth but with a new perspective and understanding of himself and his mission compared to the earlier shot of him looking at it in the dark with the “it’s not just a call, it’s a warning” monologue 

so to the end that it drove Batman’s journey the riddlers 4chan incel mass shooter goons worked  for me

20 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Thats good stuff, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Check out Paul Dani in There Will Be Blood which is an all time movie and performance by both him and DDL. Or Prisoner with High Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall. 

As for the ending:

Reveal hidden contents

The riddlers goons aren’t meant to be a threat to Batman. But mass shooters are a threat to everyone else and something Batman can’t easily stop. And they were drawn to and inspired by Riddler the same way he was drawn to and inspired by Batman. That’s the completion of Batman’s arc in this, realizing he’s out there calling himself vengeance and selfishly working through his trauma by beating people to a pulp and he inspired all of that. He needed to be more and become hope rather than just fear and vengeance on a cruel and corrupt world. He sees the same goon that he beat to a pulp and spoke to at the funeral tell Batman he was “vengeance”  which for Batman showed how he pushed him on that path by offering nothing but anger and rage 

it shows Bruce literally squinting when he finally returns to sunlight early in the film and stating “I am the shadow versus lighting a flare and embracing the light to save people after seeing how the citizens he was trying to help were terrified of him. Then we get the shot of him looking at the signal in the sky, in the early morning hours, covered in filth but with a new perspective and understanding of himself and his mission compared to the earlier shot of him looking at it in the dark with the “it’s not just a call, it’s a warning” monologue 

so to the end that it drove Batman’s journey the riddlers 4chan incel mass shooter goons worked  for me

Ahhh, yes, I do remember him from There Will Be Blood.  That's a great movie, I haven't seen it in probably 7 or 8 year so that's why he didn't come to mind immediately.  I'll check out Prisoner.

In regards to the ending:

Spoiler

All fair points and I didn't read into it as much as you did.  

But even taking your points into consideration, the final fight scene still doesn't totally work for me.  Correct, mass shooters are a threat to everyone and they're hard to stop but still the whole bad guy fumbling with his gun trope, Batman about to get killed but someone comes out of nowhere to save him cliche...hanging from a cliff...it was still all of the cliches rolled into one.  Mind you, I'm not saying I have any better ideas but when he was hanging there and the guy started creeping up on him and then was fumbling with what was, IIRC, a double barrel side by side shotgun which is pretty easy and straightforward to load, I rolled my eyes. 

• Like 1

Wrath of Man

I barely remember this movie coming out last year and didn't know much about it, but caught it on cable.  I quite enjoyed this.  Guy Ritchie directed, Jason Statham revenge thriller.  Probably the best thing I've seen Scott Eastwood do.  Kinda felt bad for Josh Hartnett, cuz I remember when Hollywood tried to make him a big deal and his role in this was not that significant.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ahhh, yes, I do remember him from There Will Be Blood.  That's a great movie, I haven't seen it in probably 7 or 8 year so that's why he didn't come to mind immediately.  I'll check out Prisoner.

In regards to the ending:

Hide contents

All fair points and I didn't read into it as much as you did.  

But even taking your points into consideration, the final fight scene still doesn't totally work for me.  Correct, mass shooters are a threat to everyone and they're hard to stop but still the whole bad guy fumbling with his gun trope, Batman about to get killed but someone comes out of nowhere to save him cliche...hanging from a cliff...it was still all of the cliches rolled into one.  Mind you, I'm not saying I have any better ideas but when he was hanging there and the guy started creeping up on him and then was fumbling with what was, IIRC, a double barrel side by side shotgun which is pretty easy and straightforward to load, I rolled my eyes. 

that’s all fair and true 

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

that is awesome. I love his design and the actor is doing great work there. Thinking he will be involved in 2 in a similar capacity before escaping to be the main in 3 

That is an interesting take, I can see that.  I mean, you don't want him to be the main bad guy in 2 and draw even more inevitable comparisons to Ledger.  

Spoiler

Penguin is still alive at the end, I'd prefer not to see him be the main bad guy in the sequel.  I just don't think he can carry the villain role by himself.  Who ya got in #2 to be the bad guy?

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That is an interesting take, I can see that.  I mean, you don't want him to be the main bad guy in 2 and draw even more inevitable comparisons to Ledger.  

Reveal hidden contents

Penguin is still alive at the end, I'd prefer not to see him be the main bad guy in the sequel.  I just don't think he can carry the villain role by himself.  Who ya got in #2 to be the bad guy?

Spoiler

I don’t think Penguin will be either. He has a show coming to HBO I think. But I like that he and Joker will exist in the world and will likely be in the movie just not the main threat. I think it helps bring that comic book feel to the movie. 

With them introducing Arkham in this movie and seeing Bats has already put at least two guys there, I wouldn’t mind seeing Hugo Strange as the Arkham psychiatrist that develops an obsession with Batman. Doubt that tho. 

I think the next movie will feature more Bruce as he will realize (part of his arc in this movie) he can fight the corruption and villainy beyond beating people to a pulp and that includes as Bruce. So bringing him out more would be a good chance for Thomas Elliot/Hush as a foil to both Bruce and Batman. And they could play up the court of owls as the rich society secretly running Gotham and he would fit into a Remixed version of that story which would work well in the grounded nature of this world. It might require changing Hush around a bit though since he is very similar to their interpretation of Riddler in this movie. Just thinks it makes sense to push both Bruce and Batman in the next movie as they did Batman in this one 

Finally got around to watching The Last Duel.  You guys have probably already seen it but it is an excellent movie.  It tells an all too familiar story in an entirely different light.  One that feels a lot more like truth, and is a lot less comfortable to sit through.  

Ben Affleck wasn’t the most convincing in his role and it was a little jarring at times.  Not enough to make me dislike the movie though.

• Like 2

Ok so I am going to talk about a couple older movies I  just watched today because I recently purchased them on 4k.  I don't get a lot of "lazy Sundays" anymore, the kind you can literally just sit around and watch movies so since I had virtually nothing to do today and the kids went to their grandparents house, I figured the time was right.  Both of these movies I enjoy a ton but seem to have mixed reactions by the masses. I think part of it is perhaps people were expecting different kinds of movies going in and maybe haven't revisited either since, however for anyone here who has seen either one recent enough or knows them well enough to chime in, feel free. I don't so much want to debate the differences in the versions of the movies although we can if you feel the different versions make a huge difference in how you'd rate them.

First up is Blade Runner: Final Cut.  I think with this movie people might have been expecting a futuristic man vs machines movie when really it is a neo-noir set in what believed at the time would be a near-future world. I love that the central theme is "what does it mean to be a human being" The replicants aren't really out there to destroy humans ala Terminator's machine logic that humans are their own biggest threat. In Blade Runner it is the opposite really, which is machines being so advanced that they actual develop a conscious and start asking the same questions that we all do when we start to become self aware of the universe, mortality, what it means to exist etc etc....Love the performances and i like that all temptation to just include over the top action sequences were resisted.  I do love Terminator as well (since I brought it up in comparison) but I am glad this movie was very different.

Secondly; Apocalypse Now Final Cut 4k.  This was simply a marvel to watch & listen to in the new dolby atmos mix.  When I upgraded to a 4k TV I also grabbed a pretty nice 4k receiver without breaking the bank and it rocks in the sound department. I need to slowly upgrade the speakers themselves since I get a little antsy to really crack the system with older lesser speakers, but even with those it still fills the room with sound and immerses you.  Ok to the movie.  This is another one where I think if people see a bunch of war movies before it Vietnam war based or not plus all the praise this one gets, they might have a false understanding of what the movie is about.  Yes, there are some good scenes with combat that paint a mess of a situation, but the movie is really about the people of the Vietnam war and not the war itself.  What war does to different people, how some seem to bask and relish in the perceived power and some cannot handle the atrocities they witness either through indirect actions, accidents, or things they were actually ordered to do.  I also think it is important for younger viewers who don't have as much frame or reference (I definitely include myself in this category when I first saw the movie at a young age) to understand that the Vietnam war was very different from the two World Wars that became before it.  I know we can debate and argue the justifications for or against any war period, but just speaking in general surface level terms, the Vietnam War was one of the first times it felt like soldiers were being sent into a strange land with no real mission or purpose or objective.   This movie paints that picture accurately IMO. I love how Willard himself is not in a good place mentally when he accepts the mission but does so anyway because he feels he has no real purpose after his time in the war.  I love how one day he looks at other officers with disdain or their embracing of barbarism, while the next scene he himself participates in an unjustified and unncessary killing. This all leads up to the final confrontation which I guess if people were expecting Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris can say was a letdown, but to me it perfectly exemplified two mentally broken men and I have also read opinions that there was some generational conflict themes going on meaning it was old-world thinking  that led to Vietnam War and new world thinking that couldn't make sense of it. 

Anyways, what are everyone else's thoughts on these movies?

• Like 1

I saw Dog. It's a simple movie about an army Ranger who wants to go on another tour but isn't fit for duty anymore, and a military tracking dog that's also no longer fit for duty and needs to be taken to her owner's funeral. The funeral is on the other side of the country, the dog can't fly, so they take a road trip. It was an enjoyable hour and a half.

• Thumb up 1

@NoCalMike highly recommend reading "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" if you havent already.

Its the book the original Blade Runner movie is based off of.

I don't want to spoil it for you, will jus say the ending is different.

I'm overdue to rewatch Apocalypse Now, it's on Netflix, so thanks for reminding me.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

We know you said you like seeing terrible movies. When you watching Morbius so we don’t have to ? 

I’ll agree WH36. It wasn’t a bad movie but neither was it a good one. It was slow  for most of it; until Milo and Morbius fought each other. Dr. Who’s Matt Smith finally got him a decent movie role.

I’ll give a C.   Tuesdays is $4 for matinae showing; so didn’t spend much. Probably can wait till it streams.

Spoiler

So those after credits scenes means Morbius will be meeting Spiderman?

"Never Grow Old"
A recent western I found on Prime, about a town that outlaws liquor and a bad guy who comes in and opens a saloon. I enjoyed it even though it's pretty bleak, short run time helps. John Cusack is good as the bad guy, a role i never really envisioned him in, and he pulls it off well. 

Out of 5 stars, I'd give it a good 3¾ if you like westerns.

~Bang

• Like 1

Saw Sonic 2 last night.

Still a movie that works hard for the young audience with the classic tropes and situations you would expect to see forced into a kids movie, but man, any fan of the franchise would instantly fall in love with the interactions between the animal characters and the final act of the movie is crazy strong and a joy to watch.

Its easy to love Sonic, Tails and Jim Carrey Eggman, but Knuckles... that dude was incredible. Just got better and funnier as the movie progressed and by the end practically every line from the guy put a giant smile on your face.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Saw Sonic 2 last night.

Still a movie that works hard for the young audience with the classic tropes and situations you would expect to see forced into a kids movie, but man, any fan of the franchise would instantly fall in love with the interactions between the animal characters and the final act of the movie is crazy strong and a joy to watch.

Its easy to love Sonic, Tails and Jim Carrey Eggman, but Knuckles... that dude was incredible. Just got better and funnier as the movie progressed and by the end practically every line from the guy put a giant smile on your face.

Was not expecting this post at all.

Damn.

Do I...do I need to watch this one and the first one first? 

Huge sonic fan back in the day, back when I had to hide my Sega Genesis from my dad so he couldn't see it was left on overnight because there was no way to save progress.

"You runnin up my power bill!"

"You lost all my chaos emeralds!!!"

I actually never responded with that, I didn't want to die and never play Sonic again.