Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

On 3/4/2022 at 10:47 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

like I said, it’s a Batman movie for Batman fans. It’s a graphic novel come to life. 

enjoy. 

On 3/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, Metalhead said:

The Batmobile starting up is the best thing I've EVER seen on film. Seriously. The sound alone is perfection. In flashpoint moments of hype, excitement, and sheer power in a movie, they nailed it.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:39 PM, Warhead36 said:

The Batman: 9.5/10. Damn near a cinematic masterpiece.

AFE20AC1-F1F3-404D-BEE4-34D3148F4AB4.jpeg

• Haha 4

Enjoyed The Kings Man yesterday on Hulu. Definitely not a Kingsmen movie in any way, but still entertaining. 

Also watched the movie sequel to the 1 season Wu Assassins show on Netflix. Movie was utter trash but the 10 episode series was a guilty pleasure. 

Started Synchronic finally but got interrupted.  Hoping to get back to that one since it has such good reviews. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

This was an A movie imo. I love movies that cause emotional responses. My wife squirmed a bit. I did too, which is unusual for me. I’m usually separated from what I am watching, but couldn’t with this one.  A lot of gritty and rough scenes to watch. It’s long, but 100% worth it. 

it’s currently on Netflix

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

how so? Actually haven’t seen any of them but thought this was just a prequel 

Spoiler

The actual Kingsmen weren't  talked about until the end scene. The movie set up why they were created but it's definitely a departure from the first two movies. 

Was really hoping more for the early days of the Kingsmen going in. 

• Like 1

Beyond the Black Rainbown HBO.  It’s from 2011 but Rotten tomatoes gave it a 61% and I’d never seen it.

This is the worst movie I’ve seen in some time.  Have you ever watched a really drunk person try to get their shoes on?  You know the entire time that they’d fail, but seeing as you yourself are drunk and in no need to move at that moment you allow your gaze to linger.  Have you ever wanted to watch a horror movie, in which nothing happens, that has that same vibe from beginning to end?  Well, you’re in luck!  

I'm here to pump the brakes on The Batman.  Not in an anti-establishment kind of way like @TradeTheBeal!does when he takes shots at anything that's popular which he hasn't seen or given a chance.  :)   I actually, you know, saw it.  

I liked it a lot but...

Spoiler

C'mon, when Batman and Catwoman are fighting in that scene when she's cracking the safe?  And then they have to hide around the corner when the cop comes in?  Dude, the ****ING SAFE IS OPEN!  It's not like they were being quiet either, it was a full out brawl and he's acting like he heard a bump in the closet.  

That said, you can see the tension between the two of them, how he's holding her, etc.  It's ****ing hot, and I don't think they really re-created that tension between the two of them for the rest of the movie.  As much of a smokeshow as Zoe Kravitz is, she's a lightweight in this role.  Pattinson, Jeffrey Wright, Colin Farrell, Turturro, and I didn't know who Paul Dano was before this movie but he was fantastic.  She just couldn't hang with them.  She wasn't terrible like Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3, but she also wasn't as great as the others, either.  

Speaking of Dano/Riddler, I also thought it was weird that he was the main bad guy throughout, yet for 75% of the movie all you saw from him was through video footage shot on iphones.  The scene where he gets taken down in the cafe and the face to face meeting with Batman, he was ****ing awesome, so much so that I think the face to face meeting he had with Batman rivaled that of Batman/Joker in The Dark Knight.   So much of the movie was wasted with him just being a weirdo sending out video messages that lacked terror and tension but no real terror or tension with him actually being on screen.  Why waste at talent like Dano by giving him hardly any screen time?  

The ending, like any comic book movie, IMO was flat as well.  Oh no, here's another terrible situation where a large group of unsuspecting people in public are faced with a terrible situation and the superhero has to save the day.  And wouldn't you know it, he takes a terrible fall and is hanging onto a cliff for dear life...not once, but twice!  And just when you think one of the bad guys (but not the real bad guy, because Riddler's in jail...it's one of his brainwashed goons) gets the drop on Batman, he predictably has trouble with his gun and then, of course, someone comes flying in from out of the frame to tackle him and save the day!  Catwoman coming in to save him was as predictable as a Scott Turner run up the middle on first down.  The one saving grace of the final scene was the water rushing in, an unstoppable force that Batman couldn't stop and had no answer for.  But all he had to do was take out a bunch of random incels with guns on a platform.  Who would believe that a bunch of people that Riddler recruited off the internet would be some lethal death squad?

And so I never really felt that Batman was never in any real danger.  This batsuit was practically 100% bulletproof.  There wasn't any peril for him.  That guy gets blown up by the bomb when he won't answer the third question and Batman's right THERE and nothing happens to him, there's no consequence?  That random funny scene where he's flying along and then wipes out in a terrible way and gets up with a limp?  C'mon.  

But this was a movie that was all about Batman being a fantastic detective and they did a decent job of providing some gravitas to that.  But the flying rat thing, ****ing seriously?  SERIOUSLY?   Oh, maybe it's a penguin, you know a ****ing bird that doesn't fly!  Has anyone EVER ANYWHERE in the history of the world confused a penguin with a flying rat?  Maybe it's a stool pigeon...hey, a pigeon has been referred to as a rat with wings...Falcone!  Yes, because FALCONS are known as flying ****ing rats, not an apex predator!  Oh wait, wait, ****ing WAIT what else could a flying rat be?  What other animal out there has been referred to as a flying rat or a rat with wings????!?!?!?!?  WAIT, I KNOW ITS A ****ING BAT!!!  How can the world's greatest detective who breezes through Riddler's not so great riddles throughout the entire movie not know it's a BAT.  

But outside of the obvious, everything came easy to Batman, he never struggled for too long with a code/cipher.  Maybe he really is the world's greatest detective but again...nothing really pushed back on Batman in this movie, IMO.  There wasn't much of a struggle anywhere for him, outside of reigning in his thoughts/feelings about, of course, the death of his parents.  

But speaking of his parents, it seemed that it was a massive surprise to him that he'd never heard anything about his parents hiding secrets.  I didn't find that believable at all.  He never knew about the articles written about the dark murky past?  He didn't know anything about the scandal that his dad was embroiled in?  No idea, really?  He spent his entire life not knowing anything about this?  Sure, Alfred wasn't going to tell him anything but I find it impossible that no one would have ever mentioned anything to Bruce Wayne that his parents weren't on the up and up.  And this is an amazing detective?

Random thoughts:  

The mayor elect gets shot and Gordon comes flying in to rescue her.  IIRC, she's taken it in the stomach and it looks pretty bad but 10 minutes later she's practically fine and she's wading through the water like it's no big deal?

I'm pretty sure Gordon existed to be at crime scenes and then ask a question and look up at Batman for an answer while being confused.  I don't think he solved anything the entire time.  

That all said, I really liked it.  It's not this film's fault that the ending to a comic book movie is, by nature, formulaic and cliche.  It's not this film's fault that a comic book movie asks you to suspend belief for a few hours but is inconsistent with things it's asking you to believe in.   I thought all the acting outside of Kravitz (who again, wasn't terrible, just wasn't great) was fantastic.  I like Pattinson as Batman and I think he was serviceable as Bruce Wayne.  He wasn't the Bruce Wayne that's jet-setting around with beautiful women, it's just a different take on the character and that's fine.  The way that it was shot, for the most part, was excellent and at times really beautiful.  The Batmobile was ****ing awesome and not used enough, IMO, it could have used another scene.  It also didn't really feel like a 3 hour movie.  

I'm giving it a solid B+ due to the performances of Pattinson, Wright (even though his character was written to be generally clueless), Dano and Farrell.  The Batmobile.  Using the broodiest Nirvana song at an expert level.  The way it was directed, filmed, the colors, and how dark it was.  I would slot it behind The Dark Knight at #1, Batman Begins at #2 and tied with the '89 Batman at #3.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff