Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Dune

I've never seen the Lynch movie or read the books so I went into this completely blind. And it blew me away. 

Starting with the obvious, it looks absolutely incredible. This is why you pay to go to the movies. Everything from costumes, to the ships massive or small, the buildings carved out of the sand rock, and the various worlds, the sand worms etc are all creative, grounded, and fully realized. Combined with the cinematography, there are jaw dropping shots and set pieces. It’s a treat for your eyes and a science fiction fans dream. The audio does a lot of heavy lifting too. Zimmer nails it and the score puts you into the moment and enhances every scene. Another benefit of watching in theater. The movie is ****ing loud though but I loved it. 

Aside from Villaneuve being attached to the project, the other thing that initially made me excited for it was the cast. They deliver 100%. Everyone is perfectly cast. The question of whether pretty boy Timothy Chalamet can carry a big budget Hollywood film has been answered. He is awesome in this. The rest of the cast as I mentioned perfectly fits their roles whether it’s Jason Mamoa being the charismatic and badass Duncan, to Josh Brolin’s military leader, to Oscar Isaac’s wise yet rightfully cautious leader of House Atreides, everyone was believable and served the story. 

speaking of the story. Wow, it gives you a lot to get through. This really felt to me like early season Game of Thrones with the different houses, the political maneuvering, and the massive amount of well-done world building. I loved that the movie throws a ton of stuff at you and expects you just to grab it and go. It doesn’t hold your hand. There were a couple points where characters were whispering during intense scenes that I couldn’t make out what they were saying but I didn’t feel like I missed anything or was lost because of it. The story grabbed me right away and didn’t let go. It’s easy to see how this story inspired people like George Lucas and GRRM in their famous works. There is a lot going on and it moves quickly. The fact it stops right in the middle is a tragedy. I could have watched 10 more hours of this world and characters. I want more and I really hope the second part is made. I need a conclusion to it so I can unravel all the mystery still perfectly left unresolved.  

As it stands, it’s the first half of a science fiction masterpiece. Bring on part 2 and if you can, watch this theaters. I imagine there is a massive difference in seeing how I saw this and watching on a tv. The visual and audio is damn near mind blowing in theaters 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

On 10/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Dune

speaking of the story. Wow, it gives you a lot to get through. This really felt to me like early season Game of Thrones with the different houses, the political maneuvering, and the massive amount of well-done world building. I loved that the movie throws a ton of stuff at you and expects you just to grab it and go. It doesn’t hold your hand. There were a couple points where characters were whispering during intense scenes that I couldn’t make out what they were saying but I didn’t feel like I missed anything or was lost because of it. The story grabbed me right away and didn’t let go. It’s easy to see how this story inspired people like George Lucas and GRRM in their famous works. There is a lot going on and it moves quickly. The fact it stops right in the middle is a tragedy. I could have watched 10 more hours of this world and characters. I want more and I really hope the second part is made. I need a conclusion to it so I can unravel all the mystery still perfectly left unresolved. 

my first thought after the credits rolled was "i wonder how people who havent read the book will like this movie". i read the book and finished it about a week before i saw the movie, so everything was fresh in my mind, but i could definitely understand if people were confused. the book is so dense and they threw most of the major concepts at you very rapidly. i also agree that there were major pieces of the story that were whispered and hard to hear, and i only knew what they were saying because of the book (i couldnt believe how faithful the movie was to the book - almost exactly with the same dialogue and everything)

even after all of that, they still left out a few storylines from the 1st part of the book (

Spoiler

(harkonnens making everyone believe Jessica was the traitor, more on Yueh's deception, etc)

)

to be honest, i feel like they couldve split it into 3 movies instead of 2 to help develop the characters even more. i thought the movie was amazing, but they had to spend most of the time explaining the houses/plot/etc, and not so much the characters.

anyway, im very excited for part 2

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

my first thought after the credits rolled was "i wonder how people who havent read the book will like this movie". i read the book and finished it about a week before i saw the movie, so everything was fresh in my mind, but i could definitely understand if people were confused. the book is so dense and they threw most of the major concepts at you very rapidly. i also agree that there were major pieces of the story that were whispered and hard to hear, and i only knew what they were saying because of the book (i couldnt believe how faithful the movie was to the book - almost exactly with the same dialogue and everything)

even after all of that, they still left out a few storylines from the 1st part of the book (

Reveal hidden contents

(harkonnens making everyone believe Jessica was the traitor, more on Yueh's deception, etc)

)

to be honest, i feel like they couldve split it into 3 movies instead of 2 to help develop the characters even more. i thought the movie was amazing, but they had to spend most of the time explaining the houses/plot/etc, and not so much the characters.

I have not read the books, and I did walk out after seeing the movie wondering what the heck did I just watch. It's also on HBO Max so I had to watch it again after the theater experience. There is a lot going on with the Politics, Economics, Religion, Battle Planning, that the second view really helped with my enjoyment and understanding the movie. The cast is outstanding. Dune part 2 was green lit today as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Hide contents

)

i expected it to be difficult to follow so I tried to make a point to keep up with everything. I guess the biggest question I had was why the emperor wanted to wipe out house Atreides. I assume it’s from Leto’s line in the graveyard about how their house has become very popular among the other great houses and that makes them a threat. But that seems weak imo and not fully fleshed out as a reason to wipe out a great house, especially risking fallout if it’s found out what happened. I assume this will be elaborated on in part 2. 

I also wasn’t entirely clear on what role Jessica plays in the empire. She’s a concubine that defied orders and gave birth to a son in order to attempt to bring about their messiah but it also seems she was doing some political maneuvering in the shadows. I know she wasn’t the traitor but a lot of this along with the great mother chick testing Paul seems setup to push him into this messiah role and either he becomes that or he doesn’t but it pushes him to find out either way. Maybe I’m reading too much into that. 

I would have loved a trilogy but without knowing the story I’m not sure where the breaks would be. I would have loved having even more world and character setup and ending movie one with the invasion but again that’s without knowing where the rest of the story goes. I’m assuming they decided on this because it wasn’t clear if they would have a second movie and had to make sure they didn’t spend too long on characters over fear people would lose interest 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

i expected it to be difficult to follow so I tried to make a point to keep up with everything. I guess the biggest question I had was why the emperor wanted to wipe out house Atreides. I assume it’s from Leto’s line in the graveyard about how their house has become very popular among the other great houses and that makes them a threat. But that seems weak imo and not fully fleshed out as a reason to wipe out a great house, especially risking fallout if it’s found out what happened. I assume this will be elaborated on in part 2. 

I also wasn’t entirely clear on what role Jessica plays in the empire. She’s a concubine that defied orders and gave birth to a son in order to attempt to bring about their messiah but it also seems she was doing some political maneuvering in the shadows. I know she wasn’t the traitor but a lot of this along with the great mother chick testing Paul seems setup to push him into this messiah role and either he becomes that or he doesn’t but it pushes him to find out either way. Maybe I’m reading too much into that. 

I would have loved a trilogy but without knowing the story I’m not sure where the breaks would be. I would have loved having even more world and character setup and ending movie one with the invasion but again that’s without knowing where the rest of the story goes. I’m assuming they decided on this because it wasn’t clear if they would have a second movie and had to make sure they didn’t spend too long on characters over fear people would lose interest 

you basically got everything. they left out a few key story points from the book that would help with both of your questions

1) the emperor move is explained more in the book, and at the end as well, so im guessing theyll say more in the 2nd movie. the book doesn't really have chapters, but different sections broken up by quotes from the emperor's daughter. a lot of those quotes explain the emperor's motives a bit more, but for some reason Denis decided to have Zendaya be the narrator instead. Guess he thought it was more important to bring us into the Fremen world than the emperor's. anyway, yes - there is more to it than the Atreides becoming powerful (deals with the Harkonnens, bloodlines, etc), which im guessing theyll address more in the 2nd movie.

2) i think overall the movie left out a lot of the Atreides storylines from the book, which was a little disappointing. but especially with Jessica. there were some important points for her character that they completely left out. anyway, im guessing a lot of the bene gesserit stuff will happen in the 2nd movie as well, because there's a lot they havent revealed yet about bloodlines of characters, that would be a spoiler if i said it. the bene gesserit basically planted prophecy on different planets of a "messiah", and so when all of their bloodline maneuvering happened, the people would all be ready to be taken over by "the one". jessica having a boy messed up their plans. but since jessica decided to teach paul about the ways of the bene gesserit (which she wasn't supposed to, as only women that are carefully picked are allowed to know their secrets and powers), Paul basically has a step above everyone else (the bene gesserit powers, the best fighting training there is from his dad's men, and heir to become duke). He even surprised the reverend mother with how powerful he was due to Jessica's training (in the book, it says she had never seen anyone get through that much pain as he had). At this point in the story, Jessica doesn't really think he's the one and the Reverend Mother doesnt really either, but the idea has been planted in everyone's head (including the people of Arrakis).

the book is already broken up into 3 parts, so it wouldve actually set up nicely to have it 3 movies. the movie was basically the 1st part (which is longer than the others), but i do wish they spent about 20-30 minutes more building up the Atreides characters more, as there are some emotional storylines in the book that were left out imo

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mammajamma said:

the book is already broken up into 3 parts, so it wouldve actually set up nicely to have it 3 movies. the movie was basically the 1st part (which is longer than the others), but i do wish they spent about 20-30 minutes more building up the Atreides characters more, as there are some emotional storylines in the book that were left out imo

hoping we get an extended edition at some point that elaborates on the house Atreides stuff.

So the Bene Gesserit stuff is really interesting and seems like a setup for anti-religion or anti-messiah themes down the road in the story if it turns out they’ve been setting this stuff up to to make planets more easily fall under their control once someone met those messianic qualifications. Paul just by virtue of his parentage and genetic traits and the training he had access to may be seen as that but if the prophecy is just garbage fed by powerful people to subject others…I’m really excited to see where it goes. I had been thinking it was basically an anti-colonialism commentary on the exploitation of marginalized people for their resources, sort of a soft critique of capitalism added in there but now I really want to just read the books if there is more religious subtext there 

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

hoping we get an extended edition at some point that elaborates on the house Atreides stuff.

So the Bene Gesserit stuff is really interesting and seems like a setup for anti-religion or anti-messiah themes down the road in the story if it turns out they’ve been setting this stuff up to to make planets more easily fall under their control once someone met those messianic qualifications. Paul just by virtue of his parentage and genetic traits and the training he had access to may be seen as that but if the prophecy is just garbage fed by powerful people to subject others…I’m really excited to see where it goes. I had been thinking it was basically an anti-colonialism commentary on the exploitation of marginalized people for their resources, sort of a soft critique of capitalism added in there but now I really want to just read the books if there is more religious subtext there 

There are a ton of themes in the story (anticolonialism is obviously one of them like you mentioned), and that’s part of the reason why filming it is so difficult, but lots of summaries written on the book mention the “dangers of false prophets” as a major theme as well. But we’ve gotten into major spoiler land now, so I’ll just leave it at that

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Dune, thought it was great.  Reading people’s reviews online it seems those that have read the book thought the movie roared through the story.  Those that didn’t read the book thought the story plodded along painfully slow.  I think a series would have worked better than the traditional movie format. I can’t wait for part 2.  

I also watched Finch on Apple TV.  Tom Hanks is always good, and I love science fiction, so there was no chance I’d wait on this.  I thought it could have been better, it missed a few opportunities, but it’s a good movie.  I don’t want to spoil it but I like that they made a post apocalyptic movie with no heroes or villains to be defeated.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Saw Dune, thought it was great.  Reading people’s reviews online it seems those that have read the book thought the movie roared through the story.  Those that didn’t read the book thought the story plodded along painfully slow.  I think a series would have worked better than the traditional movie format. I can’t wait for part 2.  

I also watched Finch on Apple TV.  Tom Hanks is always good, and I love science fiction, so there was no chance I’d wait on this.  I thought it could have been better, it missed a few opportunities, but it’s a good movie.  I don’t want to spoil it but I like that they didn’t make a post apocalyptic movie with no heroes or villains to be defeated.  

Just watched Finch. I’ll give it B+. A guy, a dog and a robot’s journey in a post apocalyptic world.

Saw Eternals. I’ll give it a C. A different Marvel movie that failed to live to the standards of the other marvel movies.

I saw Dune--never read the book, vaguely remember Lynch's version.

It looked incredible, story was...good enough. I followed it easily enough. Could not for the life of me give a **** about any of the characters, whether they lived or died, whether they succeeded or failed. They pretty much all had the same stoic personality across the board, as if their emotions had been removed at birth. Only when Paul ran excitedly to greet Idaho Jones or whatever Aquaman's name was, did the stoicism take a break lol.

I think only one character (Paul) is given an actual story arc so far...Everyone else seemed to be the same at the end as they were in the beginning. That, along with 2 1/2 hours of stoicism, makes it hard for me to get caught up in the characters or the movie itself.

Edited by Califan007

Seeing Dune's movie and not reading the books, I am only really attached to Paul, but I don't see it as a weakness. To make what's probably a very big stretch, it reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia but on an epic scale. The only character in that movie we were supposed to care about was Lawrence himself and how he gathered the Arabs to attack the Ottomans. Nobody else mattered, and in Dune, nobody else matters for any reason other than Paul himself feeling attached to them, like his mother.

Watching TV series adaptions like GOT and the Expanse have conditioned me to expect multiple story lines. For a movie, a single character to follow in an epic is simple and enjoyable to me.

As for including more background to the movie, a bit more would be interesting, but my rule of thumb is that less is more. Without having a sequel already guaranteed and needing to captivate its audience, it keeps a good pace as it is. Any more politics and it might have gotten bogged down like the first Star Wars prequel.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Lawrence of Arabia was on an epic scale.

I suppose it was, but I guess for me, it feels a bit smaller when comparing it to spaceships the size of several football fields rising out of lakes and traveling to distant galaxies filled with skyscraper-sized worms lol

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I suppose it was, but I guess for me, it feels a bit smaller when comparing it to spaceships the size of several football fields rising out of lakes and traveling to distant galaxies filled with skyscraper-sized worms lol

You should watch it again lol…the shots and framing in that movie are on an incredibly grand and epic scale. But to your point Dune has the added “epicness” of incredibly massive and realistic architecture and space ships. And of course space itself lol…interestingly, the desert shots in Lawrence Of Arabia are far more impressive than the desert shots in Dune, at least in part 1. If part 2 is anything like part 1, though, I expect the desert scenes to be just as grand. Still couldn’t get into any of the characters, though lol…

• Like 1

Finally saw No Time to Die. 

I am a bottle of wine deep with Time by Hans Zimmer on repeat. This movie blew me away. I loved it. These have been to the James Bond franchise what The Dark Knight trilogy is to Batman. 

full disclosure, I love the Craig Bond movies. Quantum of Solace is the worst one but I still enjoy it and think it’s a good Bond movie. The humanity he brought to Bond was what always stood out to me in every movie. I think he is far and away the best Bond so I was really excited to see if he received the conclusion to his story that he deserved. And he absolutely did. 

the decision to have a continued  story with the Craig era Bond films has been justly rewarded with an appropriate finale that ranks among the best Bond films ever, which by my calculation already includes Casino Royale and Skyfall and I think this is on par with those legendary films. While it doesn’t work as well as a stand-alone movie as Casino Royale, what it means to the series and the bookend to the Craig movies puts it right there with it. It's just fantastic. It was brilliant and imo the story told through them along with Craig’s raw portrayal of the character is why these movies are on a pedestal above the rest of the entire franchise. I'd argue 3 of the 5 movies are "prestige" movies and elevate themselves beyond a "Bond" movie. Everything comes full circle and closes it out with every question answered and every meaningful moment fully realized. I'm still trying to process it.

What a perfect send off for Daniel Craig. I’m so happy for him that they stuck the landing. I really feel like I have closure and they left with an emotional gravitas befitting an Oscar worthy drama not a recycled spy/action franchise. These movies are so much better than they have any right to be and that falls squarely on Craigs shoulders as he brought this character to life in a way that it never had before 

Spoiler

I cried my eyes out. I tip my hat to you Daniel Craig. What a home run 

• Thanks 1

——//

ok so I did a double feature and right after Bond I walked across the hallway for eternals. 

I liked it. And I also didn’t like it. I think I liked it in the micro but didn’t like it in the macro. 

What I mean is that I think it’s a good movie. It tells a good story and worked well enough for me. It is such a unique addition to the MCU it’s almost jarring. It’s not like anything that has come before it.  

in the macro, I feel the same as I do with DragonBall Super. All the stakes are lost when actual Gods enter the picture. I fear for the future of the MCU when all these powerful beings exist and it makes the struggles of Earth and what Spider-Man or Black Panther can do kinda childish in comparison. I wish we could go back but you can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube. So I think with this and the multiverse stuff, we’ve kinda jumped the shark and lost any stakes that previously existed in this universe 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

So the way they ended No Time To Die, was that the right move? I say yes.

Reveal hidden contents

Killing Bond off, the right thing to do?

Also, that twist was pretty interesting.

Reveal hidden contents

Giving Bond a little girl was interesting.

Spoiler

Yes. It worked in the same way Nolan’s Batman was only actually Batman for like maybe a year before leaving, after he had saved the city. This was never going to be like other Bonds where you could swap actors out and just do whatever you wanted. They chose to tell a 007 story across 5 movies of a version of the character that could be more humanized. They deconstructed Bond and give him a 5 movie arc where he doesn’t spend the entire time casually sleeping with women named **** Galore but can fall in love, be heartbroken and devastated, deal with the ramifications of being an alcoholic, suffer PTSD, have emotional trauma from his past, fail, and in the end find redemption all wrapped around the standard spy stuff. 

I say all that to say, Bond heroically sacrificing himself at the end of their story to save not just the entire world but his child and the woman he loves is a perfect end and decision.

I don’t even care what they do next. They’ll figure it out I’m sure, and if not, oh well. I had kind of soured on Bond after Brosnan mailed in the last couple movies so this was something unique that brought me back in.