Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Age Card

One Shot

One thing that's cool to think about, is that 20-30 years from now, we'll all still be here talking about the Redskins. Who knows where we'll be, but you look at it, and it's like this person joined in 2004, and that was only 3 years ago. But in the year 2024, it'll have been 20 years since they joined. And it's truely like a family, because it would be impossible not to really get to know and maybe even become close to them after so many years. Look at Tarhog, for example, I'm looking at his age right now.....in 20 years it'll say 65:yikes: damn!

:laugh: just messin Tarhog

As long as this message board sticks around, a lot can happen in that amount of time, but I don't see why it wouldn't still be here.

Count me amongst the ones that never looks to the left :)

The only time you ever look to the left is when you are confused and you seek guidance and clarification. If the words are good, than I'm clueless about the age, join date, and number of posts.

There are some contextual clues though. For example, if someone says the greatest ___________ is the best band ever and you've never heard of them, then it's just another sign of me falling hopelessly from the loop or if blank is the best movie of all time and it just came out last week, or if your sexiest actress ever needs to finish her algebra homework or get grounded then I figure I have got some years on you.

I'll look at the age sometimes, after I've read a post, rolled my eyes and thought, "how old are you now?". But I'm often surprised! Someone wrote a very nasty rant against an OP, turned out to be a middle-ager. Next post down was a very mature, thoughtful, polite response (to the ranter) written by a 16-17 year old. He really impressed me.

I do think that the younger generation has a tendency to see things more black and white, without a lot of shades of grey. Posts like, "I KNOW he's the best QB cuz i ben a skinz fan my WHOLE LIFE!!!!and i no thse things."

And then I look. And am very disturbed if it's a 39 year old from Florida. :laugh:

But overall, the young'uns ;) have a lot to offer. While the internet offers us the opportunity to interact with those we may not normally get to know, the anonymity also makes it that much easier to say rude things we wouldn't normally say. But that crosses all ages - just a maturity/sensitivity/ego thing maybe.

Sometimes, especially in the Stadium, i'll read something, scrath my head and then check the age and understand, but thats about it. Theres one guy around here pushing 55+ and i've checked his age a few times. Besides, the friends I see on a daily basis range from 24 to 43. My now exgirlfriend turned 21 while we were dating and I was 33. So to answer your question, sometimes definitly.

i think the younger posters like myself really have a lot to add to the message board specifically the tailgate, since obviously we do things differently then some of the older guys on the board or see things in different ways. Or just have different views. We obviously get different views when we have a poster who is 17 and a poster who is 40 rather then two posters who are 40. I think the diversity on the board really makes it special, i really think i've learned a lot about life just reading what some of the older posters have said and that again really makes this place special imo.

Not only do we get different views but its also the fact that we would probably never get these views if it weren't for this site. If a 40 year old guy saw me walking down the street im pretty sure he would not come up to me and ask me my opinion on subjects or vice versa. The internet really gives us a chance to see another point of view that we'd never really see if it weren't for the internet.

I think we're very fortunate around here to have a lot of young people with a lot to contribute to the board, to our discussions, and I'm sure, to society in general.

I've been guilty of looking at guys like you, One Shot, or Pucker Factor (;) ) and thinking, "well damn. Maybe the future of this country isn't in such bad hands afterall."

At the same time, there have been plenty of times -- moreso in the stadium than the 'gate (although we're guilty too) -- that I've looked at the age of a particularly whiney poster and thought, "dang, dude. You're 47. Get a friggin' life."

So, no, I don't really consider the age of a poster before I read what they have to say. And if I do look at their age afterwards, I usually find the opposite of what I'd normally expect -- most of the younger guys (and gals) around here have their **** together. Many of us older folks don't.

At least on ES, if you discount someone's opinion because they're 17 or 18, you're going to be the one missing out. :2cents:

When I see a dumb thread I usually look at the join date or avatar rather than the age..Maybe thats because im 17 though lol..And it usually turns out that the person who makes a dumb post or thread just joined, or doesnt have many posts..

Btw- I joined this board when I was 15, and I posted a trade rumor that I heard and I didn't know that there were always dumb trades thrown around in the offseason that had no chance of coming through, and in that thread some people said something like there should be an age limit to post..Because I was 15, they thought I shouldn't have been able to post..*******s.;)

When I see a dumb thread I usually look at the join date or avatar rather than the age..Maybe thats because im 17 though lol..And it usually turns out that the person who makes a dumb post or thread just joined, or doesnt have many posts..

Btw- I joined this board when I was 15, and I posted a trade rumor that I heard and I didn't know that there were always dumb trades thrown around in the offseason that had no chance of coming through, and in that thread some people said something like there should be an age limit to post..Because I was 15, they thought I shouldn't have been able to post..*******s.;)

and that was back in the days when there were less then a tenth as many members as there are now. i guess things haven't changed as much as we thought they had.

I look at the age.

If someone says something completely moronic, and is under 24, they get a pass....education and life experience will generally mold them.

Over 24.... must be a moron, because you can't fix stupid. Plenty of them here.

I don't argue with teenagers, I've got 4 teenage sons at home, enough know-it-alls there.

I don't converse with females under 25, for almost any discussion. Kind of creepy.

All that said, there are some extremely intelligent posters ages 17-24 on here, with some great viewpoints, education and ideas. I wish I was as half as worldly when I was their age. Or not.

Another thread entirely, but I'd love to investigate what it means when you feel the need to lie about your age on the internet? No smiley. Seriously? WTF? Way I see it, you're either afraid a) you're young and afraid you'll look stupid due to inexperience, or B) you're old and afraid you ARE stupid and can't blame it on inexperience :)

Guess what? I'm 45. How old are you Peter?

35. I was born 7-11-1972. I guess I do it just to mess w/ them. I mean at the WP site, which I talked about, I don't do anything, but read articles. I'm not interacting w/ anybody to seem stupid or not seem stupid, which would blow your two ideas out of the water.

I don't spend too much time looking at post counts, join dates, and ages when reading responses, (there are a few times when something said causes me to do so). I assure you I don't spend too much time looking at my age. :mad:

;)

I don't look at the info on the left very often. Mostly just to see the name of the poster most of the time. I just read the post and respond with my take. I think young people have lots to say. Some say it better than others(and this applies to older & younger for that matter). I have a 21y/o daughter who has wisdom beyond belief..but she doesn't convey it well. She wants to use a bunch of slang language that leaves me goin...:wtf: is she talking about? Then I ask her ..what does that mean? And when she explains it..I go...whoa...I've never thought of it this way!...Amazing.

And I agree w/Tarhog on this...the internet gives us all a long reaching hand and enables us to interact w/folks that we normally wouldn't sit and talk with in person.

So, no...age has no effect on how I view posting..sometimes tho I do say..must be a young person after I read some posts..but mostly in the stadium:laugh:

Archived