Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Age Card

One Shot

Let me get my pulse back under control :)

I was just thinking about you - cruising through the 'Show Yourselves' thread for some reason. Hope life is great!

But really since we have moved to Boston we have made ZERO friends out age. The only friends we have made are my coworkers and all of them are in their 40s.

I suppose the odd comment gives away soemones age but not sure how long being a member of ES would work for judging us UK fans. We've had football in the UK since the early 80's (and some bits and pieces of stuff in the 70's too). Thats 25+ years of following the game, either live games on TV or trying to pick up a 'skins game on AF radio or anywhere we can find it, yet I only signed up here recently.

People probably recognise that experience because of the brilliant analysis I offer.......:doh: :rolleyes:

:point2sky :helmet:

I generally don't like the Age Card... but that doesn't mean it doesn't ring true from time to time. I know teenagers who have domain expertise beyond that of 98% of 40 somethings. I know some 19 year olds who are just generally more intelligent than many adults I know. That said, there are certain behavior traits associated with certain age ranges, and they can have quite an impact on kids/adults of those ages.

When you hit 16-19 (when it hits and how long it lasts, and if it hits at all are all things that vary of course), you have a tendency to think you're always right. Maybe you are 90% of the time. The main problem is that one tends to think they are right when they've reached an initial conclusion on the matter. Any attempts to convince them otherwise result in insanely annoying snarkiness.

So like I said, sometimes it's valid, sometimes its not. Sometimes "kids" are just dumb because they are dumb. They are dumb when they are 16, and they will be dumb at 38. That's not an age issue, it's a general stupidity issue. And sometimes you'll have that dumb 38 year old railing against a 16 year old by throwing out age because they can't actually argue with the kid that happens to be kicking their ass in an argument.

Age is nothing. People come on message boards and say they are 17 and it turns out they are really 40; just to get props.

Then they open up a thread on the subject, just to drive the point home. J/k

:laugh:

check the Show Yourselves thread, I ain't no 40 year old.

I'm getting old. YOUNG fans are starting to constantly annoy me of any team' date=' including the Redskins.

15-20 year olds for the most part. And yes I used to be one myself, but this is where you are supposed to crossover from the "WE'RE #1, YOU SUCK!" to some smarter football knowledge of the game whenever you open your mouth. But the majority of this portion I come in contact with still seems to be stuck in time back when they used to jump up and down on daddy's sofa as daddy is spilling beer all over the place. Around that 5-10 range.

Dear Generation Z,

Grow up or shut up.

Sincerely, middle aged ranter.[/quote']

ZING

caught one.

I've been here since 2003. And besides a few times I put my foot in my mouth (not because of age, but because I wasn't thinking clearly) I've ALWAYS been taken seriously around here. Some people actually enjoy my posts... Which I find odd :laugh:.

Age doesn't matter around here, it's content. If your content is on point, no one cares. If you make a pathetic/incorrect statement, your age does seem to matter, but it really may be a factor in that case.

Seems like you are the one trying to make an issue out of nothing. I dont ever look at the users profile info. To me it will always be about the quality of the post not the statistical info on the left hand side of the page. Hey buddy forget the birthday and keep the enthusiasm!!!!! :):):):):):):) Gosh that was good!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

To me the info to the left outside of name is pretty much all the same, irrelevant. As other have stated, there are plenty of old codgers that make little to no sense and plenty more young whipper-snappers that do.

I couldn't even tell you my post count or member number unless I make a point to look at it. The only time that happens is when it's relevant to a thread like, "what's your member number?"

Not that my insight matters, because I am 20, and am included in the group that is being discussed, but 90% of the time, I don't even know who has typed the post, that is how much I look left :D.

I have sometimes thought the same question as the op. I do enjoy having lengthy conversations with older individuals, but I do that more face-to-face than I do on here. More times then not, I don't feel like typing a lengthy post. If I feel passionate about something, I may.

My girlfriend is 27 and a high school teacher, so I have had to actually adapt my ways of speaking to the way she is use to holding normal everyday conversation, it seems to be helpful if you want to hold credibility with some posters on here.

Archived