Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Age Card

One Shot

Simple question:

How much does a poster's age affect the way you look at their posts? Be honest here.

Obviously a person in their 30s will be smarter and more experienced than someone like myself, who's only 17. I know people my age are still taken seriously, but do you look at a younger persons posts differently because of their age?

Do you react to an older person's post differently because of their age?

It doesn't seem like the whole "respect your elders" theme applies that much around here, even though I try to as much as possible. I cant recall ever saying "go **** yourself" to a guy in their 40s, even though there have been many times when it could have been warranted.

I remember in a game thread last year, back when I was 16, some guy was being an all round ass so I called him out for it. His response was "shouldn't you be working on driving, little boy?" :laugh: I just remember thinking "damn, this guy's 35 and he's actually trying to diss me like that?"

But anyway, refer back to the top of this post and think about the question.

While I think age,along with experience has value,I find some of the younger posters have a fresh outlook not poisoned by bias like some of us older ones.

I have been guilty of it at times,but also can recognize experience is not always needed or helpfull.

The beautiful thing about a messageboard is, depending on the intelligence level, I might not even notice the age of someone I'm interacting with. I've said it before - the internet is one of the few places where someone my age (gasp!) can have a meaningful conversation with someone 20 years my junior. Personally, I think thats pretty cool. I ain't dead yet, and those in their teens and 20's have a lot to say.

In real life though, we don't interact. Not at all. Thats too bad.

Age to me means diddly-poo. I know a few 50 year olds who are complete morons. There are some pretty smart ****ing people on this board, no matter what age they may be currently. I know I can't tear an engine apart ala MIKESELLARS45 who I think is 17 or do programming work like a few on here I have seen that are in their 40's. I wouldnt dare compare my writing skills to OM or MURPH or ART. That being said, not many of them could make half of the culinary delights that I could make with my experiences in food for 20 plus years. So sometimes its not about age but about peoples life experiences and what they do. I mean if your 18 and your going to school to be a history teacher and I graduated from HS over 20 years ago...chances are your gonna know more about history.:D

Then again, I dont consider myself an "intellectual" (I just had to check the spelling on that;) ). I'm more likely to take the down to earth common sense approach to things and in conversations. It also depends on if you can get along with different types of people. I can mix well and hold a conversation in most any crowd because I think of myself as a well rounded person. Some people cant mix like that, they need to feel comfortable with their own age.

I do think that I may take advice from an older person more to heart, the old "been there done that" theory.

The ONLY time I look at it is when we start comparing era's. For example RIGGINS vs Taylor and I probably shouldnt look then, its just hard not too.

I kinda went on bit of a rant there, hopefully I made my point.:cheers: :logo:

I don't even normally bother to look at the age. If somebody says something that strikes me as extremely immature or something that otherwise seems to date them (younger or older), I'll give it a look sometimes. I just sort of assume there are a decent number of people that are lying about their age. I haven't done so here, but sometimes, I just like to do that to screw w/ things. You know if you try, there are odd things. I know when I registered for the Washington Post, it wouldn't let me put in an age that would have made more than a 100, but it let me put in a date that made me less than 1.

I'm sort of border line, but sometimes, I think some older people still have a hard time letting go of cold war mentalities and what can be done w/ technology.

I don't even normally bother to look at the age. If somebody says something that strikes me as extremely immature or something that otherwise seems to date them (younger or older), I'll give it a look sometimes. I just sort of assume there are a decent number of people that are lying about their age. I haven't done so here, but sometimes, I just like to do that to screw w/ things. You know if you try, there are odd things. I know when I registered for the Washington Post, it wouldn't let me put in an age that would have made more than a 100, but it let me put in a date that made me less than 1.

I'm sort of border line, but sometimes, I think some older people still have a hard time letting go of cold war mentalities and what can be done w/ technology.

Another thread entirely, but I'd love to investigate what it means when you feel the need to lie about your age on the internet? No smiley. Seriously? WTF? Way I see it, you're either afraid a) you're young and afraid you'll look stupid due to inexperience, or B) you're old and afraid you ARE stupid and can't blame it on inexperience :)

Guess what? I'm 45. How old are you Peter?

age is not as important as join date :silly:

I agree with you on this one.

Regarding the age thing. I have learned that listening to my players' suggestions on and off the field that they do provide a fresh insite on different things.

"out the mouths of babes" still holds true. If you are old, like me :D, and you aren't open to the opinions or ideas of a younger generation , you are living blindly

In real life though, we don't interact. Not at all. Thats too bad.

Well, I don't know, for me it depends. With friends of the family, I have no trouble holding a conversation and interacting. I've never been put into a room full of adults I didn't know, though, so I don't know how that would turn out.

Well, I don't know, for me it depends. With friends of the family, I have no trouble holding a conversation and interacting. I've never been put into a room full of adults I didn't know, though, so I don't know how that would turn out.

But thats my point!

This is the ONLY place you'll find yourself interacting with folks my age, who you don't have some genetic imperative that requires the interaction.

Now get out there tomorrow and mow that lawn. Son. :laugh:

The beautiful thing about a messageboard is, depending on the intelligence level, I might not even notice the age of someone I'm interacting with. I've said it before - the internet is one of the few places where someone my age (gasp!) can have a meaningful conversation with someone 20 years my junior. Personally, I think thats pretty cool. I ain't dead yet, and those in their teens and 20's have a lot to say.

So true. In fact, the first person I thought of when reading the original post was Renegade7.

you can usually tell by reading the content of a post, the aprox age of the poster skewed somewhat by maturity (i'm my case that's about 25 years :laugh: ). What impresses me is how mature and intelligent the teens and twenty something posters on this board are. I don't discount at all, in fact I look up to my 20 yo son for guidance :doh: :silly:

But thats my point!

This is the ONLY place you'll find yourself interacting with folks my age, who you don't have some genetic imperative that requires the interaction.

Now get out there tomorrow and mow that lawn. Son. :laugh:

that's not necessarily true, i sit down and talk with the older players on my hockey team about just about anything. after the last game we got into politics

that's not necessarily true, i sit down and talk with the older players on my hockey team about just about anything. after the last game we got into politics

Its not 'necessarily true' - but on a wider front, its absolutely true. Even with your example, how common is it for 'older' guys to be playing side by side on an athletic team. Its rare. And so is significant intellectual discourse between folks of different generations. Why does it occur on the internet? Because, before we allow our internal filters to bias us, we find ourselves interacting.

I think thats an amazing thing.

Archived