What to do at LG?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. What should Skins do at LG?

• In Kouandjio we trust
    • Move Ty Nsekhe
    • Find Vet to compete with Kouandjio- best man wins
    • Our starting LG is not currently on the roster

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/05/2018 at 04:55 PM

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

A name to keep an eye on is Sean Welsh.  We picked up him up at an UDFA but he was projected to go in the draft somewhere between 4th and 7th round.  Looks like he's a little undersized, but with NFL training he could easily build up some of that strength.  They say he plays stronger than he is, and he's versatile having played G and T at Iowa.  I'm not expecting him to come in day 1 and challenge for a spot, but if he can come into camp and work with Scherff (former teammate) to develop some of those skills, as well as add some weight, he could be an option to at least give it a shot as the season goes on.  

Yes, I think another reason he fell was reported bouts with depression.  But I think the potential is there to be a contributor in the near future.  And I also like the idea of a friend such as Scherff being a mentor, especially given his supposed depression.  

I also like the potential of Kalis and am anxious to see how he does in August, but I believe the obstacle he will have to overcome is lack of versatility (can only play guard, whereas Welsh is hoping to contribute as both center and guard).  Kalis will really have to shine to earn a roster spot as a one-dimensional backup.

Another name that not many people are talking about is Bergstrom.  He seemed to play well in his spot duty last year, maybe an offseason in the system and under Callahan's tutelage will make him a good option for LG.

43 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed 100%.  But I do think the front office deserves credit for their approach.  I have plenty of criticism for Snyder and Allen for some of the things they have said/done over the years, but I am not going to deny giving them credit for this because of my frustration with them for other issues.  If you like the approach, why wouldn't you give them credit for their approach?

I was trying to avoid the subject.  As in I was trying not to get into a discussion over who deserves credit and how much, but rather stick to how the overall idea (addressing needs) applied to the LG position.  

Regarding the more recent tangent, yep, we’ve addressed a large number of our concerns heading into the offseason.  

Of our biggest needs, we shored up DT and NT, QB, RB and didn’t do much at LG.  

To a slightly lesser extent, we needed an ILB, slot corner, a speed rusher, a swing tackle, punt returner and safety depth.  

After that, further depth, ST help, and a plan for our future FAs.  

Considering all of that, I think the FO has put themselves in a solid position, and not just for this year.  

14 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Yes, I think another reason he fell was reported bouts with depression.  But I think the potential is there to be a contributor in the near future.  And I also like the idea of a friend such as Scherff being a mentor, especially given his supposed depression.  

I also like the potential of Kalis and am anxious to see how he does in August, but I believe the obstacle he will have to overcome is lack of versatility (can only play guard, whereas Welsh is hoping to contribute as both center and guard).  Kalis will really have to shine to earn a roster spot as a one-dimensional backup.

Another name that not many people are talking about is Bergstrom.  He seemed to play well in his spot duty last year, maybe an offseason in the system and under Callahan's tutelage will make him a good option for LG.

Great op-ed piece from Sean Welsh about depression:

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2017/7/19/football-my-toughest-opponent-depression.aspx

"The simple truth is that it doesn't matter if it's on the football field, in the classroom or in a corporate office – success doesn't immunize you from depression."

"I now know that my depression is genetic and that I will always have a predisposition to it. This isn't the end of my relationship with depression but so far I've learned a lot about my condition."

"It can make your successes feel unimportant and your problems seem monumental. It made me feel empty, like I had nothing."

I quoted these sentences because they describe my experience with depression. Once you know it's there and recognize it, you can treat it. The struggle will likely never end for me, but I know what it looks like when things are heading south and I know what to do. It sounds like Sean Welsh is very aware of that. With treatment he should continue to be a very good football player. I don't think it's likely his depression will be a hindrance to success. Whether he succeeds or not it will probably not be influenced by depression.

Here's another good clip:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2017/12/21/leistikow-when-topic-depression-can-uplifting-sean-welsh-all-big-ten-lineman/971918001/

Choice quote: "The more you talk about it the more it takes the teeth out of it." 100% agree. Thanks for listening ES!

On another note, I hadn't thought of Bergstrom in that light. Unless something big changes he's likely a quality depth guy. He's played 53 games and started 7 over a 6 year career. I hadn't realized he was a rookie at age 25. He has played G and C in the pros, and was a T in university. It's great that he has that positional flexibility. 

I'm excited for some good competition along the OL this year, and a HEALTHY group. Hail.

31 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I saw that, and I saw a quote that I would need a bit more context on. 

“I’ve always wanted to do something more than football and play football. This has kind of been something that has become a purpose for me in my life, shedding light on the issue and sharing my story. Whatever I can do to kind of move the ball forward in the discussion.”

Sean Welsh

Now reading that, initially it felt like he was saying Football is basically secondary and he had bigger and better dreams, so you wonder how he's going to work.   That said, reading it a few more times, is he more saying that he basically wants to use football as a platform for a bigger cause? 

19 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Now reading that, initially it felt like he was saying Football is basically secondary and he had bigger and better dreams, so you wonder how he's going to work.   That said, reading it a few more times, is he more saying that he basically wants to use football as a platform for a bigger cause? 

Right, because fair or not, the best way for people to receive and accept your message is to be rich and famous.  Hopefully he turns into a beast, redskins benefit, and he is able to do some positive things in the community, everyone wins!

23 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Right, because fair or not, the best way for people to receive and accept your message is to be rich and famous.  Hopefully he turns into a beast, redskins benefit, and he is able to do some positive things in the community, everyone wins!

I wasn't faulting him for that, just a quote that can be interpreted different ways.  I will be rooting for this young man, and I hope he's able to maintain his current path of doing what makes him happy, whether that be football, or something else... or playing football and using the platform to better the community around him.  

1 minute ago, thebeermonkey said:

We've re-signed Lauvao. Good grief

As long as the deal is cap friendly if we cut him I am ok with the signing. We need to have a back up plan if we cannot move someone else over into the LG spot. Almost everyone else on the roster who can play that spot has a higher upside but they also come with a lower floor. 

50 minutes ago, gatito said:

As long as the deal is cap friendly if we cut him I am ok with the signing. We need to have a back up plan if we cannot move someone else over into the LG spot. Almost everyone else on the roster who can play that spot has a higher upside but they also come with a lower floor. 

Scary, but true.  

Re-signing Lauvao is a competent move.  As was said above, we know what we have with him, and that's all-in-all mediocre play.  He is injury prone, which is an issue.  But assuming he starts, he gives the team a bit more flexibility as they'll have time to develop or transition people behind him.

It's not sexy, it's not a fix, but it's a decent stopgap option.

20 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

From reading a few articles and watching a few videos, my take on things is that he loves football and wants to play as a pro. He also likes to have a purpose to his life. His unfortunate encounter with depression has taught him a lot, and he wants to share that so he can help those with depression and educate those who don't have it. This has become a purpose for him, satisfying that need.

I don't think this is at all about not putting focus on his game. If anything I think it helps him focus.

1 minute ago, MassSkinsFan said:

From reading a few articles and watching a few videos, my take on things is that he loves football and wants to play as a pro. He also likes to have a purpose to his life. His unfortunate encounter with depression has taught him a lot, and he wants to share that so he can help those with depression and educate those who don't have it. This has become a purpose for him, satisfying that need.

I don't think this is at all about not putting focus on his game. If anything I think it helps him focus.

And that's the way I was leaning... and furthermore it makes me want to root harder for him, and wish him more and more success... regardless of the logo on the helmet that he's wearing. 

On 4/30/2018 at 9:08 AM, Wyvern said:

There are some possibilities:  Arie K., Kalis, and the UDFA Sean Welsh (Iowa) are a few the Skins have in-house.

Open market:  I suspect the Skins could re-sign Lauvao to a very cheap contract, and sadly he's one of the better free agents still available.

its possible the Skins are looking for guards who might get released soon, or as a last resort, late pre-season waiver-wires.

I don't see the Skins trading for a decent guard.  I suspect the Skins FO are relying on Callahan to coach one up from the grab-bag they've given him to work with.

*If LG ARIE KOUANDJO #60 is able to play like THIS -- CONSISTENTLY, We SHOULD be 'AH-ITE'.

17 hours ago, OlufemiBiz said:

*If LG ARIE KOUANDJO #60 is able to play like THIS -- CONSISTENTLY, We SHOULD be 'AH-ITE'.

Absolutely! He had a good game. You know who didn't? T.J. Clemmings. Godawful.He consistently failed to pass guys off to Kujo quickly. That slowness led to some sacks and lots of hurries. Even when he properly diagnosed stunts and picked up the guy coming around the outside he whiffed or was turned around very easily. 

For anyone doubting that our OL will be decent this year, just remember we were so banged up that T.J. Freakin' Clemmings started at LT.

Let that sink in.

5 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Maybe Arie is our best bet. This is going to be his 4th season. If he can't beat out SL and a bunch of rookies this year, he will probably never start. 

How many games did Arie start in last year and were the other performances as good as this one?

4 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

How many games did Arie start in last year and were the other performances as good as this one?

I'm having a look. He started 6 games and appeared in 2 others. I've looked at his second start and the game after it where he came on for Nsehke (who didn't do well at LG in that one). I hope to post my thoughts on what I see soon.

I've been saying this all along but no one was listening Arie played like this in all the games he started down the stretch, Kalis, Bergstrom nor Catalina could beat Arie out and I predict he will be our LG.

What the Lavaou signing says to me is that  he's competition/security blanket for the other guys, I also predict that Timon Parris will make the 53 as the backup swing guard.

Here's the 9 OL I believe make the 53 man roster :

Trent Williams - Arie Kouandio - Chase Roullier - Brandon Scheriff - Morgan Moses

Ty Neske - Timon Parris - Sean Welsh - Geron Christian

4 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

I also predict that Timon Parris will make the 53 as the backup swing guard.

Trent Williams - Arie Kouandio - Chase Roullier - Brandon Scheriff - Morgan Moses

Tell me what you like about Parris. I know nothing of the guy. 

10 hours ago, skinsOLfan said:

I've been saying this all along but no one was listening Arie played like this in all the games he started down the stretch, Kalis, Bergstrom nor Catalina could beat Arie out and I predict he will be our LG.

What the Lavaou signing says to me is that  he's competition/security blanket for the other guys, I also predict that Timon Parris will make the 53 as the backup swing guard.

I cannot see them going with two UDFA and a third round project as out backups.  Especially since I'm pretty sure Parris was a T in college.  Of course after last year's debacle I can see the Skins keeping 10 OL

On 5/8/2018 at 6:43 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Re-signing Lauvao is a competent move.  As was said above, we know what we have with him, and that's all-in-all mediocre play.  He is injury prone, which is an issue.  But assuming he starts, he gives the team a bit more flexibility as they'll have time to develop or transition people behind him.

It's not sexy, it's not a fix, but it's a decent stopgap option.

But he wasn't "mediocre". By every measuring stick he stunk, one of the worst in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

But he wasn't "mediocre". By every measuring stick he stunk, one of the worst in the league. 

I assume he is a camp body with a chance to compete. 

If Im the Skins, I think I want as many OL bodies as possible in camp just so they can work out and get familiar w the playbook. Then if injuries happen mid season, we can bring them back and at least its better than bringing a guy off the street who did not go through some of PS with us. 

Bergstrom was signed in Oct and I think he started right away. He wasnt with us in PS and had to catch up on the fly. He did pretty good considering. 

I think we signed and started another O line guy later in the season as well who didnt go through camp w us. 

Trent, Moses and Ty will not be ready to go when PS camp starts (I heard that on the radio). Hopefully we dont have a repeat of last year but at least we can be better prepared.  

On 5/8/2018 at 5:40 PM, thebeermonkey said:

We've re-signed Lauvao. Good grief

He'll be a training camp cut. Keep an eye on Arie Kouandio, Sean Welsh, or Geron Christian to take his place.

Did Brandon Scheriff played tackle at Iowa, but was drafted as a guard? 

1 hour ago, MEANDWARF said:

He'll be a training camp cut. Keep an eye on Arie Kouandio, Sean Welsh, or Geron Christian to take his place.

Did Brandon Scheriff played tackle at Iowa, but was drafted as a guard? 

Kouandjio is out for the season as of this morning with a torn quad. My money is still on Welsh.

http://rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?ls=roto:nfl:gnav

Archived