Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Draft Day Thread

Wildbunny

21 minutes ago, bh32 said:

I just don't see a saftey having more of an effect on this defense as Payne does..Lets get real Sean Taylor was a once in a lifetime player probably played with better players on Defense and it still didn't put them over the top...None of these safety's in this draft are even close to him in talent or even on Laron Landry's level when he came out..

Don't see why the conversation is about what's more important a safety or D line unless you think the two players are equal.  I don't think they are equal.  I'd hazard a guess I must be one of the most prolific posters about the value of the D line in various threads.  It's my mantra in the FA thread.

But again, I am done arguing about it.  If you told me before the draft they'd end up with Payne, Guice and got a third rounder to me it would be a home run.  So I am going to stop worrying about how it happened.   And just focus on the full picture.  I love the full picture.  Especially Guice. :)

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't see why the conversation is about what's more important a safety or D line unless you think the two players are equal.  I don't think they are equal.  I'd hazard a guess I must be one of the most prolific posters about the value of the D line in various threads.  It's my mantra in the FA thread.

But again, I am done arguing about it.  If you told me before the draft they'd end up with Payne, Guice and got a third rounder to me it would be a home run.  So I am going to stop worrying about how it happened.   And just focus on the full picture.  I love the full picture.  Especially Guice. :)

Whats so great about James? I just don't see it...I think Payne is a better talent than James and its not close..

I was skeptical of the pick at first but now looks like a good decision. Having a jack of all trade S is great but doesn't solve the number 1 problem in this defense. Maybe James was rated slightly higher the Payne in our draft room but given our woeful run D, I would go Payne. he is the second best NT in this draft class and skipping him at 13 meant we run the risk of settling for a NT in the later rounds which could not address stopping the run. 

Maybe James will be the second coming of ST, well I'll feel sad on missing James but if Payne can clog the running lanes for Zeke, Barkley and Ajayi going forward and makes opposing offenses one dimensional, to me that would be better than having a pro bowler S but we continue to be gashed by opposing running games.

Hankins to me is not part of this equation in that he will be an expensive option, and one that is not guaranteed even if we took James.

James ain't Sean Taylor, lets be real. Taylor was hyped up from day one and lived up to it. James is a good prospect but he's no more or less special than any other top rated Safety in a particular draft.

I have nothing against James, and would have been perfectly happy taking him, but I'll always take an equal caliber DL over a FS and I do think Payne and James are similar tiered prospects.

We could have had:

FA:Hankins

1st Rd: James

2nd Rd:Guice

3rd Rd: Christian

4th Rd: Hurst

5th Rd: Settle

That is surely a better haul than what we had. And it isn't hindsight. Tons of us were clamoring for the FO to sign Hankins so we could pick the BPA. The draft was a good one, but it could have been a great one if we had signed Hankins and drafted BPA all the way down the board. 

Do we know what Hankins was offered? If he wanted to be here, he probably would be.  Think his asking price is more than what we are probably willing to pay.  I like the way the draft played out.  Young and affordable talent that our coaches can develop. Now, we just need to see improvement on the field.

I see so many ppl talking about us reaching for Payne w/ the 13th pick. That makes sense if we weren't the worse against the run in the league. Our run D was dreadful. We shored that up with a run stopper in Payne and drafted an actual NT. Insurance for Nicholson at FS against injury. As well as a gunner to replace Fuller on ST. Added a slot corner/PR. The Bama LB could be a great role player if he can stay healthy. 

I understand the hype around James. But he and he alone couldn't solve our run D. Ok you slide him over to play some nickel. But if he's playing SS then where does that leave Swearinger? Swearinger can play FS but he's best suited for paying around the LOS. He doesn't have the range or top end speed to play over the top like Nicholson. 

Outside of not getting our LG I love this draft. The FO took care of our biggest needs on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not really concerned about LG. Arie sinks or swims and it's only May. Between the reserves, active roster, FA, and UDFA it'll get taken care of. He addressed the DL and drafted a bell cow back. I'm good.

10 hours ago, bh32 said:

Whats so great about James? I just don't see it...I think Payne is a better talent than James and its not close..

I think a lot of fans are more in the mindset of old Dan Snyder. Big names and big flash. James for all his potential talent couldn't address our defensive weakness. Granted I wanted Vea but I love the pick considering. I just don't understand the argument that James was a better pick. Maybe, just not for what we need. I don't understand understand the confusion around here. I never heard anyone on her calling for a SS when we getting gashed in the running game last year.

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

If their ideal scenario was Payne in the 1st and Guice in the 2nd I just have to wonder why they traded back. They could not have predicted Guice would have still been there, wondering what the plan was there.  

Rumor is Skinz were looking to pick up Johnson but Detroit scooped him right before us. So Skinz decided to move back knowing Guice would still be there.

9 hours ago, bh32 said:

Why post highlight hits..look at game tape

I see so many ppl talking about us reaching for Payne w/ the 13th pick. That makes sense if we weren't the worse against the run in the league. Our run D was dreadful. We shored that up with a run stopper in Payne and drafted an actual NT. Insurance for Nicholson at FS against injury. As well as a gunner to replace Fuller on ST. Added a slot corner/PR. The Bama LB could be a great role player if he can stay healthy. 

I understand the hype around James. But he and he alone couldn't solve our run D. Ok you slide him over to play some nickel. But if he's playing SS then where does that leave Swearinger? Swearinger can play FS but he's best suited for paying around the LOS. He doesn't have the range or top end speed to play over the top like Nicholson. 

Outside of not getting our LG I love this draft. The FO took care of our biggest needs on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not really concerned about LG. Arie sinks or swims and it's only May. Between the reserves, active roster, FA, and UDFA it'll get taken care of. He addres

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

We could have had:

That is surely a better haul than what we had. And it isn't hindsight. Tons of us were clamoring for the FO to sign Hankins so we could pick the BPA. The draft was a good one, but it could have been a great one if we had signed Hankins and drafted BPA all the way down the board. 

Provided we paid Hankins what he wanted. Instead we got a rookie for the next 4/5 years at a price we want. Hankins is holding out for big money we didn't want to pay or might not even have. A bird in the hand beats two in the bush. And I wish Hurst all the luck in the world. But I wouldn't put much stock in a guy with cardio issues. 

Funny to me how the debate seems to have come down to Payne vs James. I would have picked Edmunds myself, because the draft was heavy with solid DTs but weaker with ILBs. I also think Edmunds ceiling is off the charts, if he puts it all together.

4 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Funny to me how the debate seems to have come down to Payne vs James. I would have picked Edmunds myself, because the draft was heavy with solid DTs but weaker with ILBs. I also think Edmunds ceiling is off the charts, if he puts it all together.

Edmunds is a guy I was targeting but what I really wanted was an underrated ILB and I'm excited about Hamilton. Hopefully he can beat out Spaight because I think he has speed and smarts to play the position. All the reports I'm reading talk about how much of a steal he was and if he hadn't gotten injured how high he'd be going.

And the funny thing about James is that it kinda reminds me of the debate last year with Adams and Hooker. We wanted them so badly in these forums and maybe if they dropped we would have taken one, but we got a steal in Nicholson later in the draft. I wonder if Aike can be a similar steal. And I wonder how our safety board was set up. Was it Fitzpatrick -> James -> Aike, or how big was the gap beween James and Aike?

3 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Yup, just like Keim picked in his mock when required to make the decision of Payne or Edmunds. I respected his decision and the next day I respected the Redskins decision on Payne. They felt he was the best option for the future of the team. James was a distant third to me.

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Edmunds is a guy I was targeting but what I really wanted was an underrated ILB and I'm excited about Hamilton. Hopefully he can beat out Spaight because I think he has speed and smarts to play the position. All the reports I'm reading talk about how much of a steal he was and if he hadn't gotten injured how high he'd be going.

And the funny thing about James is that it kinda reminds me of the debate last year with Adams and Hooker. We wanted them so badly in these forums and maybe if they dropped we would have taken one, but we got a steal in Nicholson later in the draft. I wonder if Aike can be a similar steal. And I wonder how our safety board was set up. Was it Fitzpatrick -> James -> Aike, or how big was the gap beween James and Aike?

Yes, I am very happy with the move up to snag Hamilton also. Worried a little about his knees, but that's the kind of upside pick you make in round 6. Also swapped 7th rounders, which gave them the opportunity to draft Quinn, who I think has a legit shot at making the 53.

I can't stress enough how well I think the FO did the past few days. They got 3 UDFAs I had rated as the best at their respective positions left on the board, and had a stellar draft. 

For all the **** Bruce gets, he is a football professional...been in and around it his entire life, literally. You can be a dick, and a professional, the terms are not mutually exclusive. 

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

We could have had:

I don't want to pick on James - I think he is a good kid and all but I think HaHa Clinton Dix was a better prospect coming out and panned out okay - but has hardly revolutionized that GB defense. Also the more i hear about him (can play LB) - the more i think of Mark Barron - and that is not the greatest of compliments sorry. 

The one thing I would say is I personally - for his own sake would not have taken Hurst - Sometimes decisions have to be taken out of the player's hands, - Although Jon Gruden seems fine with the issue ... so it might have been nothing - but still .. 

38 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I am not sure why people are just focusing on just James either. For me it was one or the other. What was being thrown around was there were concerns about James's knee. But of course that could just be BS. But I disagree with those saying James was just Ok. That is not why he fell - and let's be clear going 17th is not exactly a free fall with all the QBs going early. James is an absolute beast at the LOS and will be very versatile. 

But if not James - I would have preferred Edmunds over Payne but I do not hate the Payne pick. He certainly filled a need. I am glad they also got Settle and ultimately released McClain and did I see Francis is also gone? I was willing to give McClain a chance but he was just not good.

This Dline suddenly has the potential to be the best it has been in decades. 

1 hour ago, #BgMase76# said:

Rumor is Skinz were looking to pick up Johnson but Detroit scooped him right before us. So Skinz decided to move back knowing Guice would still be there.

Yeah I'm happy with Guice over Johnson.   But I don't see how the Redskins could assume Guice would still be there as far back as they dropped.  

1 hour ago, #BgMase76# said:

I see so many ppl talking about us reaching for Payne w/ the 13th pick. That makes sense if we weren't the worse against the run in the league. Our run D was dreadful. We shored that up with a run stopper in Payne and drafted an actual NT. Insurance for Nicholson at FS against injury.

Reaching for a player means passing better players to fill a need, in other words you just defined what a reach is.  

37 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This Dline suddenly has the potential to be the best it has been in decades. 

If Payne helps the Redskins by making them dominant against the run (and only the run), he will have been worth being picked at #13.  The Redskins have been laughingly helpless against the run for many years.  Being helpless against the run is no small matter.  We Redskins fan can all agree on that.  Let's not forget that Payne is just 20 years old with much room for growth and development.

IMO, a reach is when you pass on a player who is significantly better than the player you draft at a position of need.  For those who say that James is significantly better than Payne, it's a reach.  I don't see drafting Payne over James as a reach.  But time will tell.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I'm happy with Guice over Johnson.   But I don't see how the Redskins could assume Guice would still be there as far back as they dropped.  

On that one Doug admitted there were some in the room who wanted Guice at 44 and didn't want to trade back.  Some wanted to take the chance because they liked another 6 players who were still on the board.  It worked out, though.

Between Doug's comments on the first round pick, 2nd round pick, Jay wanting Quinn earlier, etc.  It paints a picture of they didn't have easy consensus on all that went down.  Not saying that's bad.  Interesting to hear though.

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

But if not James - I would have preferred Edmunds over Payne but I do not hate the Payne pick. He certainly filled a need. I

Yeah I made the point about Edmunds too but its easier sometimes in a debate for me to just isolate one player in a tit for tat comparison.  I think Edmonds is going to be a beast.  But overall I am happy about the draft, love where it all landed.  I think it could have been even better especially considering they got Settle later in the draft.   But I've noticed in arguing with people on this, things get lost in the weeds sometimes about valuing D line and other sidebar stuff, plus it artificially puts me in bad mood about the draft, even though I feel really good about the draft. :)

Archived