Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

26 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I was driving back from CT during the first half and was listening to the coverage. I know that the timeout with 1:20 to go in the first half has a lot of people riled up. So, just for the record- Cooley, Sonny, and Doc all LOVED it. 

People have an issue with the timeout called while we were on offense, stopping the clock for absolutely no reason.  I know for sure I heard Cooley and Kevin say they hated this too.  It just leaves more time on the clock for Philly in the event we scored, and score we did.

I have no issue with the timeout called while on D going into 3rd down.  You are expecting your D to line up tight and give up nothing to the outside, but instead we gave them plenty of room to do what they did with ease.  I believe this is the one that Doc, Cooley and the gang liked as well.

I can't wait for people to go back and watch tape and see how dreadful Kelley was. Seems way overlooked here with everyone saying the run blocking was bad. It wasn't that awful, he just missed tons of holes and didnt have enough speed to hit them. One run when he was 7 yards into it, totally stopped his feet and got drilled instead of moving forward for another 3-4 yards minimum. He looked like he was running in quick sand all day.

Unfortunately we look like the same team we saw in preseason. Our defense looks better than last year, but still a work in progress; it's not surprising with so many changes. If they can iron out the lapses they may even be good. On offense the team still look to be out of sync with each other. Kirk is Kirk, he'll have better days than this but he'll also have some days exactly like this, and more of the latter until he gets comfortable with Pryor and Docston as targets instead of DJax and Garcon.

Just now, 50yrSKINSfan said:

More than a shame esp when I think of the Giants drafting OBJ in the 1st rd and that wizard SM taking a slug like Dotson with a 1st. Then he has the balls to think he did a good job and wonder why he got fired?

By all accounts at the time Doctson was at the worst the second best WR in the draft. Many thought he was the best. Looks like they were all wrong but you cant do much about that after the fact. 

He still has time to figure it out but hes looking much more Malcomb than Tana at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

I can't wait for people to go back and watch tape and see how dreadful Kelley was. Seems way overlooked here with everyone saying the run blocking was bad. It wasn't that awful, he just missed tons of holes and didnt have enough speed to hit them. One run when he was 7 yards into it, totally stopped his feet and got drilled instead of moving forward for another 3-4 yards minimum. He looked like he was running in quick sand all day.

On that play I said to my wife, who wasn't listening and couldn't care less but that's another topic, "a good running back is still running" on that play.  This was Matt Jones' problem too. All you heard about were the fumbles but he was a crap  runner who never made tough yards.   Watching other team's running backs really shows how short we are at the position and have been for years.  Even Alf was no more than average.  Man Mixon would have really been a good pick.  We need a complete back with explosion, vision, and the ability to move the pile.

14 minutes ago, PortisBetts said:

In real time it didn't appear to be much there but it usually doesn't unless the holes are gaping.  With that said, I also observed Kelly not making things any easier for himself and ultimately looking slow.  I'm absolutely sure that opposing teams look forward to facing Rob Kelley.  I'm ready to abort this mission right now without even looking back at the tape.

45 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Pryor had defenders beat all day.  That play in question was a TD if he finds the ball.

Gotta disagree. All day - it was the first play of the game. :)

The problem with Pryor is not beating defenders. It's the drops.  The other problem, are Kirks throws of late - far too many un-catchable overthrows without even a chance of a gift pass interference.  Kirk needed to lead him inside and Pryor needed to catch it. He had one in the breadbasket dropped a series later. We can't count chickens right now and assume he is catching everything. He was targeted 11 times yesterday, but only had 6 catches. And the most depressing drop, was on a play that didn't even count. 

Next time you are at a tailgate or hanging with friends throwing it around, try to make that same catch from directly behind you without slowing down. Maybe there is a reason he didn't find the ball. His angle he cut at, may have been too early or late too - we can only speculate.

I am curious if anyone can come up with a deep pass route / scenario that is harder to complete. I suspect Kirk also threw that one more on a rope, vs McCoy trying to throw one on a rope. If that was a lobbed slow floater, it's an easier catch of course. Leading the WR to one side or the other, goes a long ways to a completion.

24 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

More than a shame esp when I think of the Giants drafting OBJ in the 1st rd and that wizard SM taking a slug like Dotson with a 1st. Then he has the balls to think he did a good job and wonder why he got fired?

On 4/29/2016 at 9:34 AM, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Your right. The more I watch the clip of of Doctson jumping through the ceiling and catching the ball with 1 hand the more I like the pick. Hard to pass on a guy like that esp if he is a clean kid. Happy for him.  I have always been a disciple of "best player available" and then when we do it I freak out. Many years of seeing teams march down the field on us with little resistance will do it to you.

Image result for laughing animated gif

One thing to keep in mind is the number of players and coaches that are different from last season. A little over a third of the team's starters are new and most are 1st year Skins. Almost the entire defensive staff is either new or in a new role. New OC, change in playcaller. Not to mention the earthquake that hit the front office.

Not an excuse but rather an explanation: no team, regardless of talent level, goes through that much change in one year and comes out of the box fully assembled. 

The one thing that is shocking is how bad the offensive line looked – not just yesterday but ever since the 1st preseason game. I can't figure that out, and it's troubling. This is the most intact unit from last season, same position coach who apparently is one of the best in the league. There's little to no chance of this team righting the ship if that unit doesn't start humming, and soon. If it were up to me, I'd ask "why is Shawn Lauvao still starting?" and consider permanently keeping Chase Roullier at center and moving Spencer Long to LG when he's fully healthy. Because Shawn Lauvao sucks.

17 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am curious if anyone can come up with a deep pass route / scenario that is harder to complete.

Fade. 

Almost kidding Lol. But if there is a route that is more difficult Kirk and Gruden will find it and call it often. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Fade. 

Almost kidding Lol. But if there is a route that is more difficult Kirk and Gruden will find it and call it often. 

Hilarious.  Good pull. Who'd have thought a deep sideline fade was an easier fade than a short end zone fade, but I think that's where we are. I wonder if it's been completely removed from the playbook at this point.  Someone needs to make a failed end zone fade compilation. Laughter is the best medicine.

I assume that was a go or fly route, but may have been a skinny corner or post... hard to say. We don't know the route let alone where the ball should have been.

Combos_1.jpg

Defense looks improved, but needs to stay cool at times. About 4,5 droped INT's is top much. Also, missing sacks was a problem. Foster got there once and just ran full speed past Wentz, probably trying to drill him. On the Eagles miracle TD, Smith missed two times and Allen had a chance for his first one. Just bring the QB down when you have the chance, that's all I'm saying, also a pass to Ertz, two missed sacks on a play.

I didn't read through most of these, so not sure if this has been said.

We did not play great.  Too many players made mistakes.  Defense played good enough.

In my opinion, it comes down to 1 play.  If Kirk hits Crowder for the TD, instead of throwing the INT, we win the game.  As bad as the WHOLE team played, that one play changed the outcome of the game.  TD - we win.  Incomplete, followed by a FG - we might win.  INT - we need some luck to win.

Even after all that, we had the ball at the end of the game and just need 1 TD drive to win the game.  I still don't see how they didn't over-turn the last fumble.  Is their little field-side monitor that much better than my 50 inch HD TV? 

So, we played poorly and turned the ball over too often.  But, even with all that, we were in it until the end.  I will hold onto hope because of that.  We deserved to be crushed with the way we played.  We weren't.  eagles were not good, although their QB did a great job of avoiding our rush and made us pay when he did. 

Swearinger was garbage the entire game.

Everette was disappointing as well.

Smith looked great, along with Ryan, who actually played the other side more often.

D line is definitely better. Even the McReplacements looked pretty good and Allen and Ioan are legit.

Brown was a breath of fresh air. Foster was ordinary, which isn't bad for us.

Breeland looked pretty good and Norman was great.

Question:  just caught bits and pieces so I don't really know how our new crop of rookies did,  in particular Jonathan Allen and Ryan Anderson.  If Allen doesn't turn out to be a matchup nightmare wreaking havoc with Olines on the regular I will seriously consider the possibility that we've been cursed by someone somehow.  That,  and our personnel guys since Beathard and Casserly don't know players from a hole in the ground,  apparently,  Thx in advance for any 411 on this.

For all the (justified) negativity, if our defense puts up a performance like this every week, I will consider it to be a monumental success.  YES, we missed badly on some QB pressures that ended up being spectacular plays.  BUT, I'm pleased by the fact that school yard OMG plays are needed to beat us.  There was a time where we got no pressure and looked outschemed at every turn (haslett, Barry I'm looking at you).  Now, it took a young kid doing his best Big Ben impression to not get destroyed.  I'll take it.  On offense, my main issue is not that people underperformed, it's that THE MAJORITY OF THE OFFENSE underperformed.  Without CT deciding that the madden spin works in real life, we are a 3pt offense.  And if Kirk throws one more backbreaking, late, Ill advised, off his back foot pick, I may have a stroke.

2 hours ago, RedskinsSerbia said:

Defense looks improved, but needs to stay cool at times. About 4,5 droped INT's is top much. Also, missing sacks was a problem. Foster got there once and just ran full speed past Wentz, probably trying to drill him. On the Eagles miracle TD, Smith missed two times and Allen had a chance for his first one. Just bring the QB down when you have the chance, that's all I'm saying, also a pass to Ertz, two missed sacks on a play.

To be fair, Wentz is a very big dude and really elusive for his size. He's not easy to bring down.

I'm sure this has been discussed but did anyone go to the game? Looked like a plethora of Eagles fans. I saw on instagram a couple of videos of a few fights and looked like a big group of Eagles fans chanting and carrying around a pitchfork or something. I know these are Philly fans but what gives? Not saying I'm a better human being than these people but I would never walk around an opposing fans stadium with a pitchfork, you just look stupid. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Breeland looked pretty good and Norman was great.

Agreed, but I would really like to see these "almost" picks turn into actual picks.  It's awesome that they defensed the pass, but if the other team goes down and still scores, then those defensed passes just help the other team take more time to score.

I know it's ticky-tack, but they both played well enough where that was my biggest issue.

I'm confident Kirk and the OL will play better moving forward. Very encouraging signs from our defense yesterday, it stinks we opened up with a division opponent. I think the Eagles front 7 is going to give EVERYONE fits this year, not just us. I don't think it's unreasonable to think we win 3 of our next 4, or at least be at 2-3. It was sloppy yesterday but it's nowhere near panic time. 

15 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I'm confident Kirk and the OL will play better moving forward. Very encouraging signs from our defense yesterday, it stinks we opened up with a division opponent. I think the Eagles front 7 is going to give EVERYONE fits this year, not just us. I don't think it's unreasonable to think we win 3 of our next 4, or at least be at 2-3. It was sloppy yesterday but it's nowhere near panic time. 

Obviously I'm hopeful, but not incredibly optimistic. The defense certainly looked better but the run game sucked, the OL wasn't very good (though as you said, the Eagles front 7 is pretty nasty and they did a ton of blitzing) and Kirk was bad. Kirk has bounced back from bad starts before but he looked exactly the same yesterday as he did in 3 preseason games: hesitant, panicking, poor accuracy, poor mechanics, either not feeling pressure or feeling it when it wasn't actually there. Not sure if it's losing McVay, losing Garcon and DJax, or just him plain old not having confidence and being Bad Kirk, but it is worrying and I just don't have a ton of confidence that he's going to return to being Good Kirk any time soon. We'll see.

4 hours ago, Garcon More Wine said:

<Edit>

as a unit they played better than last year by a long shot.  i felt more confident they were going to make a stop or make a big play.  looked like a major improvement from last year.

Agree with all of this. I think it's worth repeating just how good the LB's looked, especially against the run.

Another positive was the lack of penalties (2-15) unfortunately one negated a Galette sack. Overall tackling has improved too.

if only the DB's had Kerrigan's hands!

It's a real shame that the negatives, mostly on offense, far exceeded the positives. I don't know enough to be able comment on Gruden's play calling other than I wasn't concerned about it during the game.

41 minutes ago, maxspruill21 said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but did anyone go to the game? Looked like a plethora of Eagles fans. I saw on instagram a couple of videos of a few fights and looked like a big group of Eagles fans chanting and carrying around a pitchfork or something. I know these are Philly fans but what gives? Not saying I'm a better human being than these people but I would never walk around an opposing fans stadium with a pitchfork, you just look stupid. 

I was at the game.  It was embarrassing.  I'd put the Eagles fans somewhere between 25 - 33% of the total fans in our area.  We sit in 227 Row 11.  I think we see more visiting fans in this area b/c the seats are "cheap".  We always see opposing fans, but this one was pretty bad.  I said last night that it is such a miserable game day experience, I'm not interested in going back next year full time.  We will see.

It's not just the lousy product on the field, but the crazy long lines that would necessitate you miss 20 minutes or more of the game if you want something to eat or drink  unless you get it as you are walking in before the game.  Even bathroom lines were crazy long yesterday in the guys bathrooms outside our section.  I said screw it and just held it until after the game.  The one big thing I don't get are all the people (our fans and their fans) that get up 5X or more a game.  We are in the middle of the aisle, but are constantly getting up for people needing to get out.....especially right in the middle of a play.  I can't imagine what it is like being on the end of the aisle.  

Just barf.

Doctson was in for 20 plays and was not targeted a single time.  Perine did not play a single down on offense.  Gameplan?  Coaching?  Inability to adapt?  Those players should be involved in our offense at some point, to see what we have at the very least. It is hard to contribute if you don't have a single pass thrown to you or if you don't play. Looks like it may be the Ryan Grant show going forward.  That is very, very, very sad.  Hail

Archived