Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When did you have your first kid???

Renegade7

When did you have your first kid???  

55 members have voted

1. 1. When did you have your first kid???

• I don't have any kids
    • under 18
    • 18 - 24
    • 25 - 30
    • 31 - 34
    • 35 - 40
    • over 40
    • I don't want kids

Just curious.  Friend of mine mentioned to me that he thought I was taking to long (has two and older than me), and I kinda just smirked it away since I'm 28 about to be 29.  I'm thinking long-term relationship style dating in my early 30s and Lord willing kids after that.  I'm genuinely looking forward to it, but there are some things I need to take care of first. 

It's weird knowing that most of my cousins and my little sister will have teenagers by then, and I've had more than one tell me they liked that they had them in their 20s because they feel they can relate more to them.  I don't know the science behind that, but I figure if I keep an eye on their interests and support on them, be honest, and stay consistent, I'll be fine.  For the most part, that's what I wanted from my parents as a kid.

Had my oldest when I was 30 and youngest when I was 32. It felt like a good age because I was old enough to not feel like it was too soon but still young enough to have the energy to chase them around and go almost 3 straight years without any semblance of consistent sleep. I also like that I'll be late-40s/early-50s when they are graduating high school, moving on to the next stage of their lives, etc. 

32, which isn't on the poll.  Second at 34.  Both boys.  I'd like to have a girl but I can't take more kids for a few years at least.

Having two kids is exponentially more difficult than one.

At this rate, I'll be 52 when the second turns 18.

Kids make you think big picture in life.

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

32, which isn't on the poll.  Second at 34.  Both boys.  I'd like to have a girl but I can't take more kids for a few years at least.

Having two kids is exponentially more difficult than one.

At this rate, I'll be 52 when the second turns 18.

Kids make you think big picture in life.

Fixed the poll for you, nice catch.  Experience with two kids is interesting, they can distract each other or try to destroy each other on a good day.

Is there any truth to the whole "good to have them before you get too old so you can relate to them more" thing?  Seems like a lot of people I know that waiting until their 30s did that because that's what worked for them, but didn't want to wait to late and either not be able to keep up with them, or be too old once the kids were out the house.  Seems like empty nest in early 50s works for a lot of people. 

At least half my company doesn't have or want kids.  I can dig the whole wanting to live your life thing, which is the answer I typically get to "why?"

17 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

28 ... not a bad age. Second one soon after so parenting is done as we entered our 50s and have a whole new life ahead of us while we're still healthy, wiser and wealthy. 

Similar to me. Had just turned 27 when my first was born and my second is due this October before I turn 29 (they'll be about 21mo apart). 

Dont have any. Just got out of a long relationship that had some potential, so I don't know if it will be anytime soon.

Don't want any right now, because it's not ideal, but i do think about it from time to time. I don't have to worry about continuance of my family into another generation since my brother and older sister already have kids, but personal legacy is important to me. We'll see.

I was 32 yo (turned 33 three months after) and my wife was 31 when our daughter was born in 2008.  We started dating my senior year in high school (I was 17, she was 15).  I wanted kids right away when we got married, she wanted to wait and enjoy married life for a little while before having kids.  I just asked that we start trying after I turned 30 years old, so if it took a while, then we wouldn't be too old when they graduated high school.

I'll turn 51 a couple of weeks after she graduates in nine years.  In comparison, my dad turned 25 right after I was born and my mom was 23.  

20 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I'm curious why you say that.

Why i cant stand them?  They just annoy the crap out of me.  And the sound of a baby crying will literally give me a panic attack.

Funny story.  I was in the ER amd they wouldnt release me because my heart rate was super high.  They couldnt figure out why.  As soon as the crying baby in the waitimg room left earshot, my rate dropped and i was released.

32 for #1 

35 for # 2

No more for me.  My daughter got a little sister.  Predictably I wanted a son the first go around, but after having a daughter, I was actually stoked that the second one was a girl.  Now, in 7-10 years I might not be so stoked that I have two daughters.  Haha.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

32 for #1 

35 for # 2

No more for me.  My daughter got a little sister.  Predictably I wanted a son the first go around, but after having a daughter, I was actually stoked that the second one was a girl.  Now, in 7-10 years I might not be so stoked that I have two daughters.  Haha.

People wonder why Obama's hair went white grey while president, imagine being leader of the free world in this political climate and having two teenage daughters on top of it. 

42 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Is there any truth to the whole "good to have them before you get too old so you can relate to them more" thing?  Seems like a lot of people I know that waiting until their 30s did that because that's what worked for them, but didn't want to wait to late and either not be able to keep up with them, or be too old once the kids were out the house.  Seems like empty nest in early 50s works for a lot of people. 

At least half my company doesn't have or want kids.  I can dig the whole wanting to live your life thing, which is the answer I typically get to "why?"

I don't think so, you can relate at any age if ya try.

Being young enough so they don't wear you out helps some, but it is a losing game.

Neither of my older brothers had kids and they relate just fine....then go on a long vacation. :ols:

Honestly id rather be older. I plan on staying in shape well into middle age, god forbid i suffer some injury that jeeps me from working out normally.

I think it helps to be wiser, and i stilling that wisdom in  children early. Every kid I knew growing up that had an older parent, i. Talking late 50's/60's, or for some reason was raised by their grandparents, was absurdly more mature and smarter than the average kid

Archived