Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is Your Favorite Movie Composer?

GhostofSparta

Who is Your Favorite Movie Composer?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Your Favorite Movie Composer?

• John Williams
    • James Horner
    • Danny Elfman
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Alan Menken
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Randy Newman
    • Leonard Bernstein
    • Other

My wife and I were having this discussion the other day. I realize that it's hard to be objective about who is the best, because like most music your taste is influenced by your childhood. I grew up with Indy and Star Wars, so for me the obvious answer is John Williams. I don't think Spielberg is nearly as big a name as he is despite his talent if John Williams didn't do most of his scores. She, however, grew up watching Tim Burton movies so she's a huge fan of Danny Elfman's music library.

So I was curious how the opinion of the Tailgate would break down on this kind of question. And noticing that many of these composers are tied pretty closely to specific directors, I wondered if that more than anything else would influence people's opinion.

John Williams.  Love the Star Wars Trilogy soundtrack.  Battle of Hoth is my favorite movie piece. 

Hans Zimmer is the man too.  The Dark Knight Trilogy soundtrack is my second favorite.  There is this 2 minute part in Bane's theme that I've been deeming "The Pinnacle of music" lately.  Sorta tongue in cheek, but sorta not.  It's unbelievably perfect, to me.

The answer is John Williams.  He will forever define the Hollywood score.  Everything from the NBC Nightly News to Indiana Jones and Star Wars... hes just untouchable

That said, i thought Trent Reznors score for the Social Network was incredible, and i always enjoy stewart copelands scores, mainly because he is stewart mother****jng copeland

I think that for all intents and purposes John Williams is the best, but I agree, Morricone is the 2nd best by a significant margin...The Mission has one of the best themes in the history of humanity.  Zimmer while clearly an amazing composer, doesn't make themes that stick with you after a single listen the way that Elfman, Silvestri, Vangelis, the aforementioned top two, or even John Carpenter (good call on that one clietas) do, which takes away some personal points for me. 

Archived