Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is Your Favorite Movie Composer?

GhostofSparta

Who is Your Favorite Movie Composer?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Your Favorite Movie Composer?

• John Williams
    • James Horner
    • Danny Elfman
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Alan Menken
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Randy Newman
    • Leonard Bernstein
    • Other

17 hours ago, Springfield said:

The only composer to make me catch major feels is Hans.  So, Hans for me.

So much this.  Hanz' music digs deep into your soul.  His music has been part of some of the most memorable scenes in cinema of the 21st century.  I've always been more of a "mind-bending, alternate dimension, new age" soundtrack music fan than your traditional orchestra score.  And that's where Hanzie's music lives.  He owns that realm.

James Newton Howard is good.

I love Alexander Desplat.  He's done a lot of big name stuff but his work on The Tree of Life soundtrack changed my life and the way I look at the world.  It tears my heart out how misunderstood that movie was. 

Clint Mansell's work on The Fountain soundtrack still gives me goosies to this day.  Really helps open your mind to the time travel and "ends of the universe" vibe. Requieum For A Dream, Black Swan main theme, Mass Effect 3.

Two of the most powerful songs I've ever heard in film:

Alexandre Desplat - 48 second mark when it opens up :wub:

Clint Mansell - 2:26 mark when the beat drops after a slow and painful build up.  If you could see the scene in the movie while this song by Mansell plays in the background, it's overwhelming.  Hugh Jackman floating through the galaxy, crying hysterically as he searches for the soul of his dead wife.... my god.  :o

7 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

what a bunch of nerds you guys are...movie scores...jeeez...ya'all into fancy import cheese too i bets...that **** just stinks..

Says the guy that just brought up Herrmann... :chair:

Again, it is Prince. Folks don't typically dance to songs from any of those other composers. 

Between Batman and Purple Rain... it's not even close. 

Bernard Herrmann (born Max Herman; June 29, 1911 – December 24, 1975) was an American composer best known for his work in composing for motion pictures. As a conductor, he championed the music of lesser-known composers.

An Academy Award-winner (for The Devil and Daniel Webster, 1941; later renamed All That Money Can Buy), Herrmann is particularly known for his collaborations with director Alfred Hitch****, most famously Psycho, North by Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Vertigo. He also composed scores for many other movies, including Citizen Kane, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Cape Fear, and Taxi Driver. He worked extensively in radio drama (composing for Orson Welles), composed the scores for several fantasy films by Ray Harryhausen, and many TV programs, including Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone and Have Gun–Will Travel.[1][2]

:headbang:

(we should also recognize john barry and ennio morricone B))

Now in support of my vote for Elfman:

Here is a scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure where Paul Reubens adlibs some singing/humming and Elfman seemlessly works that into the score for the scene.  Also works the attempted wheelies into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFk9SRzY6io

And of course can't mention that movie without the theme used while the Rube Goldberg Breakfast machine is doing its thing.  Its seems to intermix playfulness with epicness.  He adds and subtracts beats on a whim, almost; changing the time-signature for a single measure at a time.

Seeing Elfman's playful side, we can move into a more serious and darker theme.  Any new theme Batman gets will be forever compared to this one that really set the tone:

If the the situation calls for Rock instead of epic orchestration, he can do that, too

Elfman just brings so much variation whether it be light, quirky, dark, epic, eerie.  So many film scores these days are based on The Planets and Carmina Burana (fantastic pieces), its nice to have someone like Elfman who goes in his own direction.

14 hours ago, Burgold said:

I don't think of Leonard Bernstein as a movie composer, but the man was a genius. Went with Williams because Superman, Indy, and, of course, Star Wars are iconic instantly recognizable classics.

Yeah, I think of Bernstein as a conductor.  Always associate him with Beethoven's 9th Symphony.  It's possible the OP mixed him up with the man mentioned in the post above yours.

Overall body of work and renown, it has to be John Williams.  He's prepared such a diverse array of soundtracks for all types of movies.  Other composers have had good film scores here and there but John Williams seems much more consistent.

I like Hans Zimmer but the concern there is many of his film scores sound similar.  They have a similar theme that repeats starting with Gladiator, going through Pirates, and even Batman to some extent.  That same theme was taken from Holst's The Planets - Mars.

I don't have an issue with modern composers sampling themes from prior works; I'm merely comparing the innovation between composers.  I think honestly anyone from that list has produced some great works in general.  

On 2/14/2017 at 7:03 PM, shakinaiken said:

No love for James Newton Howard? Composed a lot of the scores for Shyamalan's films. Most beautiful being The Lady in the Water soundtrack and The Village soundtrack. Unbreakable as well. Look them up on YouTube for confirmation. 

And Elton John's guitarist for a few decades.  The man is a legend.

Michael Kamen's work included some incredible stuff. One of my favorites is the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves soundtrack (good grief, the overture is amazing).

He used his work there as a template for Band of Brothers, which is probably objectively better from front to back. It's kinda weird to hear Robin Hood themes repeatedly expressed, although I doubt there are many people who have the deep familiarity with RH necessary to notice.

Anyway, the guy was brilliant.

Archived