Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Changes Would You Make?

Koolblue13

I do think that but for the unexpected playoff run, Gurden may have been out. We look like a JV outfit on the field. Teams are just running simple plays against us. No adjustments and no real game plan on either side of the ball. It can't go on like this. Gruden was a terrible hire to begin with. He's just too dumb to be a head coach. Simple as that I'm afraid. 

I'm not sure I like RJF saying that, true or not. That should be kept behind closed doors, go off in team meetings about it.

What's weird is I felt like they adjusted a little bit defensively this game because the way it was going was about to be a blowout with wide open bootlegs, passes in the intermediate middle and getting gashed on the ground. I guess not, though. :/    

Force more balance on offense, even it means threating someone's play calling responsibilities.  46 pass attempts and 17 run attempts when its a close game and averaging 4.8 ypc is insane.  Defense played better in second half, and even though it took forever to see Norman move around, looks like bootleg is the next "what's taking so long" here thing.  That lack of Dline talent is hard to say they need to try harder, it effects every other level.

1 minute ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Put in Kendall Fuller for Phillips or whoever that guy is

Oh God yes, 35 is so horrible.

I think this depends if you think the season is salvageable.  Your view may inform what changes you make.  I for one, do not thing the season is lost.  In addition, there's no point in rehashing mistakes that were made over the off-season.  It's not productive and isn't going to help the team now.  So at this point, here's what I would do. 

1.  Fire Barry.  You need to make a statement.  At this point, I'm just not sure who you replace him with.  So that needs to get figured out.  Perry Fewell has DC experience, but he was flat out awful in that position in NY......but what other alternative is there on the coaching staff? 
2.  Switch back to the 4-3.  I know, I know.  But that's the only time the D seemed to get consistent pressure. For the love of God, Trent Murphy had 2 sacks from his natural DE position. 
3.  In combination with #2.  Sign Pot Roast, put Kerrigan at DE, and Chris Baker at DT, give Caravens more playing time at OLB, give serious consideration to bringing Perry Riley back, and find someone...anyone to play SS.  Bruton sucks.  (I think Hall looked good this game at FS). 
4.  Run the F***ING BALL!!! If you need to go out and make changes to the OL to do so...then do it!!! JESUS!  The offense is 1-demensional and we wonder why Kirk doesn't look amazing.  It takes away the thing he does best...play action. 
5.  Better offensive play calling. Why the hell was McVay trying to force a damn fade to Doctson in the red zone?? Run the ball...hell call a draw for F***'s Sake! Hell you can even do it out of the shot gun!
6.  Kirk has got to get better, no sugar coating it, but having him throw the ball nearly 50 times a game is insane.
On a positive note the 'Skins are t 6 WR's deep and we've got 3 TE's....that's going to serve them well next year when they possibly loose the top 2 WR's. 

45 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:

Sorry. The "Kirk needs to crowned as a starter to perform" excuse was last season. He is getting paid like a top QB and he has to perform as one. No more excuses.

Oh don't get me wrong; I'm not at all making an excuse for his performance. He needs to be better. But people saying to bench him or find a new QB in the offseason are acting incredibly short-sighted. 

33 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Only change I'd make is one that I believe is personally responsible for the disappearing act of Alfred Morris, the run game, and the ghost of Griffins knee: Licht! He has been terrible from day one. I have no idea how he has started this long. The failed trade with New England was a huge blow. 

After his series of false starts these first two games, he needs to be benched. Watching him today was awful. 

Agree with the 6 point plan above - and get lich out of there, I don't care who you replace him, he cannot be the 32nd best center in the world..  

Must get Joke Barry out of here, he has the distinction for being the DC for the worst teams in NFL history, then we pass on Wade Phillips who was openly  petitioning teams for a job (worked out well for him) to give this guy his second chance.  Experiment failed - we were calling their plays from the stands and team looked clueless and unprepared.  Realize we can't clean house at this juncture, but as stated above a statement needs to be made, immediately.

Another change I would make would be stop referring to our home games as home games, every game feels like its on neutral turf; Cowboys fans were strong in the lower bowl and louder than our fans.  Maybe we will have a better showing in London.

14 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

Oh don't get me wrong; I'm not at all making an excuse for his performance. He needs to be better. But people saying to bench him or find a new QB in the offseason are acting incredibly short-sighted. 

He has to take a step forward this season... If not, you have to prepare for the possibility of moving on yet again. He is a fifth year player who is in his third year in the system. The majority of the resources have gone into putting talent around him. They bring in an OL guru and although the line isn't stellar, he hardly gets hit on Sundays (in part because he doesn't hold the ball very long... Keim stated in his wrap that Cousins should have thrown the ball away, I think he should have extended the play because he wasn't in any danger).

This team was in position to put up a lot more points last week and they should have scored 50 today.  He failed to make plays that most NFL QBs make by their fifth year. The miss to Crowder set a tone for a terrible day. He missed DJax twice. The bomb to Josh should have been An easy TD. The decision to throw the ball late, soft and back over the middle on the INT. I don't remember any drops, I do remember several times his target saved him with  great effort.

Am I wrong Cousins has the authority to change the call at the line, even on the redzone? The fades were bad calls, but opt out and to pop a delayed handoff in for a score.

This is an awful division and anything less than a division title will be an epic fail in my opinion. More talent around him than just about any QB I can think of. Four legit WRs and three TEs. Two guys who can catch out of the backfield. Just demoralizing.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

*Please keep it to changes, with solutions*

0-2 0-1 in the division and the Giants coming up. We are not a good team.

Bench Bruton- Start Nacho

Fire Barry- Promote Perry Fewell

Bench Foster- Start Spaight/Cravens

Sign Knighton, which I was completely against the other day.

Bench Litch- Start Long

I agree with everything in your post. I would also run the ball in the redzone. 3 straight passes inside the 10 yard line is awful. And Bruton needs to be cut. Not just benched.

20 minutes ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

What we r seeing is we really LACK NFL talent.Norman is light years better than Kerrigan or Smith or Hall etc;

You don't think DJax, Reed, Garcon, T Williams, Moses etc. could start on just about every NFL roster. Should have scored 40-50 today and we have 39 points in two games. Inexcusable coaching.

1 hour ago, skins4eva said:

I do think that but for the unexpected playoff run, Gurden may have been out. We look like a JV outfit on the field. Teams are just running simple plays against us. No adjustments and no real game plan on either side of the ball. It can't go on like this. Gruden was a terrible hire to begin with. He's just too dumb to be a head coach. Simple as that I'm afraid. 

If something doesn't happen, this is going to be a repeat of Zorn in 2009 

On offense I start going no huddle hurry up pass pass pass. Screw balance. If the ship is gonna go down let it go down doing what we do best. Spread em out wide and start attacking down the seams with Reed. I'd let Docston get some snaps over Garcon as well. Crowder should wreck the slots.

Defense I'd start gambling a LOT. We're gonna give up plays and scores anyway, but start being creative. Throw some CB blitzes, Safety blitzes. I NEVER EVER want to see Kerrigan or Smith in coverage. Start having Norman follow the other teams best WR around.

1 minute ago, Skins Wingman said:

why is compton getting a pass here? if you really watch him, he gets blocked out of every run play, hits the wrong hole, and cant cover anybody. i believe he was the lowest ranked run defender by far last year. not sure about all the hype about him

He's high motor and high effort but just doesn't have the talent. Our front seven needs an infusion of talent and we haven't had a quality MLB in a long time. 

6 minutes ago, Skins Wingman said:

why is compton getting a pass here? if you really watch him, he gets blocked out of every run play, hits the wrong hole, and cant cover anybody. i believe he was the lowest ranked run defender by far last year. not sure about all the hype about him

He's so ****ing terrible 

but hes a "scrappy underdog" so some fans like him 

If the Josh Norman signing has shown us anything so far, it's what legit all-pro talent at a position looks like.  For the entire Haslett era and now into the second season of the Barry era, we've been trying to get by with a "sum of parts greater than the whole" patchwork defense. The way Norman has let little to nothing be caught in his direction and then when something does get caught, he makes a damn play on it.  Imagine if we just had 3-4 players of THAT caliber on the defense.  It's becoming perfectly clear that "had a great training camp by all accounts" does not translate to being a pro bowl player in the regular season. (No that's not a knock on Breeland, just more the overall sentiment about anyone/everyone we get fluff pieces about).  

There's a reason defenses like Seattle, Carolina, 49ers (from a few seasons ago), Ravens (see: 49ers) carried their teams to the superbowl despite having lackluster offenses.   They were full of Josh Norman caliber players.   

Also, as far as changes go?  On offense, I'd start by running the ball more, which is obvious.  Matt Jones was pretty effective today from what I saw. He had what, 2 carries for no gain, but otherwise was doing just fine. The game was close the entire length yet they decided to abandon the run for who knows what reason?

Besides that?  Make the QB......connect on wide open easy passes?  I am not sure how you "change" that, it is on Cousins himself to change that.  Score TD's instead of FG's.   

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If the Josh Norman signing has shown us anything so far, it's what legit all-pro talent at a position looks like.  For the entire Haslett era and now into the second season of the Barry era, we've been trying to get by with a "sum of parts greater than the whole" patchwork defense. The way Norman has let little to nothing be caught in his direction and then when something does get caught, he makes a damn play on it.  Imagine if we just had 3-4 players of THAT caliber on the defense.  It's becoming perfectly clear that "had a great training camp by all accounts" does not translate to being a pro bowl player in the regular season. (No that's not a knock on Breeland, just more the overall sentiment about anyone/everyone we get fluff pieces about).  

There's a reason defenses like Seattle, Carolina, 49ers (from a few seasons ago), Ravens (see: 49ers) carried their teams to the superbowl despite having lackluster offenses.   They were full of Josh Norman caliber players.   

Speaking only about the defense... it seems he's on a different planet right? Norman is a straight stud. I'll enjoy watching him lace em up at least. I'm jealous of those teams you mentioned who play (or played) defense the way it was meant to be played. It is absolutely fun to watch a defense fly around and punk the opposition into submission. 

The biggest change I would make is start running the #$%@ football!!!! How do we expect Kirk to succeed when the defense is just pinning their ears back knowing that the next play is most likely just another pass? I mean you can just sit there and run a zone and watch Kirks eyes all day long when you know we aren't going to run it! RUN THE FOOTBALL! SHOW SOME BALANCE! MAKE THE DEFENSE GUESS!!!!

Right now there is no play call creativity and no balance! It's why we just lost 2 games in a row! You just drafted a very good linemen in the 1st round last year, use those big guys up front to control the game!

Archived