Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Changes Would You Make?

Koolblue13

Immediate and realistic changes:

Sign Pot Roast

Golston is gone

Phillips is on the practice squad... unless he's a place holder that is relegated to teams when Fuller is fit

Sean McVay is not calling plays

Joe Barry is fired and either Greg Manusky or Perry Fewell will be the DC.

You want to be a winning organiztion, start holding folks accountable.  This defense has been an abortion for two weeks.  And the fade routes in the red zone were awful play calls.  Awful.  None were close.  Play calling down there has been bad.  And I'm not one to get on "play calling" like I know better than the coaches... but the red zone play calling is awful.

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

Immediate and realistic changes:

Sign Pot Roast

Golston is gone

Phillips is on the practice squad... unless he's a place holder that is relegated to teams when Fuller is fit

Sean McVay is not calling plays

Joe Barry is fired and either Greg Manusky or Perry Fewell will be the DC.

Fire Barry...hire Klopp......Am I allowed to rip GMSM now?

Cut Kory asap. Its needed and so is the message it brings

activate Fuller for the slot and start Cravens. Let the rooks cut their teeth on this down year. 

Put Long at C if Reiter isnt ready but get him ready quick so he can start and Long moves to LG to replace Lavauo. We are wasting Trent's talent by having B players next to him. Hell, put Arie or fricking Nyseke at left guard as im sure hed be an improvement. 

Put in Nacho

Next two drafts nothing but DL and fill holes on OL, Safeties, and LB as we have youth stars on DB, WR, TE, and a QB to grow with  

Just now, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Fire Barry...hire Klopp......Am I allowed to rip GMSM now?

You could always rip him.  I think this team is built to play a certain way and they aren't playing like it.  That's on the coaches.

I HOPE that's what Cousins 'closed door' meeting with Grudes was about.  McVay was an idiot today and he was worse than Cousins was.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

@carex I haven't seen one single person put everything on Cousins.

However he's getting great pass protection and has the best receiving group in the league.

and with that he's completing almost 70% of his passes and has over 300 yards passing in both games

2 minutes ago, skinsforlife101 said:

Sean McVay should not be calling offensive plays. Barry should be gone ASAP. I don't care who u get to replace him they can't do any worse. 

Well don't say that.  We said that about Haslett.

Being honest about the personnel group that we have, at best this is a top 20 defense.  AT best.  And they're only there if the offense is scoring big points and the opponents are forced to pass.

It is speculation to say McVay called all the fades and bad plays. Kirk missed a lot of open guys that could quickly have us declaring McVay a genius. Including the great decoy by DJax to a wide open Doctson, who hit in stride would have easily scored..  

It has been divulged that there are 3 heads in play calling, with the plays to be used largely determined mid week, or discussed on the sideline before a series starts. 

Make no mistake, McVay is the noob of the group and gets my vote for most likely the one taking orders. He just takes the heat because he calls in the play. 

I think it's obvious Josh's role was decided long before today, as was the plan to throw him fades. Gruden is ALL about the offensive side of the ball, and passing. You know he is heavy into play calling. In the end, Jay has to take the blame for promoting a green horn if indeed McVay is calling plays and failing. 

It's a good question for Jay, whose idea was it to throw the fades to the guy that has barely practiced.  

Agree with most of the comments so far.....This starts with GMSM, the coaching staff and poor play by Cousins....besides that..

1)  Start Cravens over Foster

2)  Bench David Brutal, start Duke.

3)  Bench Deshaun Phillips....insert Fuller, Dunbar or Toler

4)  Re-sign Riley and Pot Roast...replacing Golston and Spaight.

5)  Stop rushing 3 and 4 only....must blitz much more.

6)  Give Rob Kelley some carries.

7)  Stop force feeding Doctson

8)  Start Long over Kory

Some great comments from RJF... who is as straight a shooter as they come on the defensive side of the ball.  Stops just short of asking for Joe Barry's head on a platter.  I like this, it shows that the team knows we're better than this and for the first time I actually truly believe we are better than the coaching staff is coaching:

2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Well don't say that.  We said that about Haslett.

Being honest about the personnel group that we have, at best this is a top 20 defense.  AT best.  And they're only there if the offense is scoring big points and the opponents are forced to pass.

True but the huge mistake that was made last week not having Norman on Brown last week. Then this week having Dez shred Breeland for a quarter plus before u make a move.

3 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Agree with most of the comments so far.....This starts with GMSM, the coaching staff and poor play by Cousins....besides that..

1)  Start Cravens over Foster

2)  Bench David Brutal, start Duke.

3)  Bench Deshaun Phillips....insert Fuller, Dunbar or Toler

4)  Re-sign Riley and Pot Roast...replacing Golston and Spaight.

5)  Stop rushing 3 and 4 only....must blitz much more.

6)  Give Rob Kelley some carries.

7)  Stop force feeding Doctson

8)  Start Long over Kory

What's Spaight done?  He was inactive today..I disagree on Riley, fwiw.  Agree with everything else.  I think you should be a little more realistic about where the team is/should be in the 2nd year of a new GM, though.

25 minutes ago, FS#21 said:

Could have sworn I saw multiple articles heading into last offseason that he reached out to people who specialize in this and had it "cured." I try to find one to back up this post but when I heard Pam Oliver say that familar look of being defeated was on his face you just gotta wonder if at a certain point the man is too weak to handle it all mentally for his job.

EDIT : Here's an article but I know there was another somewhere. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/after-discouraging-2014-season-kirk-cousins-sought-help-for-his-head-game/2015/09/12/0bebd3a2-588f-11e5-8bb1-b488d231bba2_story.html

I will tell you something else. It may not be well known but Russell Wilson worked with a sports psychologist when he first came into the league under Pete Carroll. It works. Hopefully Cousins will get some help.  

1 minute ago, skinsforlife101 said:

True but the huge mistake that was made last week not having Norman on Brown last week. Then this week having Dez shred Breeland for a quarter plus before u make a move.

Most zone defenses do that.  It's a right side - left side thing and it has to do with communication between the safeties and the CBs. 

10 minutes ago, skinsforlife101 said:

Sean McVay should not be calling offensive plays. Barry should be gone ASAP. I don't care who u get to replace him they can't do any worse. 

So its McVay's fault Kirk missed two wide open TD's today. McVay's a fantastic play-caller, its objective. Players were running wide open all game due to McVay's play calls. Barry, however, can **** off. He's an objectively terrible play caller and overall D coordinator. 

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It is speculation to say McVay called all the fades and bad plays. Kirk missed a lot of open guys that could quickly have us declaring McVay a genius. Including the great decoy by DJax to a wide open Doctson, who hit in stride would have easily scored. 

It has been divulged that there are 3 heads in play calling, with the plays to be used largely determined mid week, or discussed on the sideline before a series starts. 

Make no mistake, McVay is the noob of the group and gets my vote for most likely the one taking orders. He just takes the heat because he calls in the play. 

I think it's obvious Josh's role was decided long before today, as was the plan to throw him fades. Gruden is ALL about the offensive side of the ball, and passing. In the end, Jay has to take the blame for promoting a green horn if indeed McVay is calling plays and failing. 

It's a good question for Jay, whose idea was it to throw the fades to the guy that has barely practiced.  

Speculation indeed. Most fade calls are audibles at the line. I would venture to guess those fade calls were on Kirk. 

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

@carex I haven't seen one single person put everything on Cousins.

However he's getting great pass protection and has the best receiving group in the league.

He's getting great pass protection? It was better today but last Monday he had OL bodies flying at him all night. He was terrible today, but the OL has to share in the blame for both losses.

2 minutes ago, DC9 said:

What's Spaight done?  He was inactive today..I disagree on Riley, fwiw.  Agree with everything else.  I think you should be a little more realistic about where the team is/should be in the 2nd year of a new GM, though.

He might have serious concussion problems...I was saying to sign Riley assuming Spaight might be done.

I'm very realistic....there are no 5 year plans in the NFL.....had SM done a good job, combined with good coaching; this team would look much different....MUCH better

2 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

He might have serious concussion problems...I was saying to sign Riley assuming Spaight might be done.

I'm very realistic....there are no 5 year plans in the NFL.....had SM done a good job, combined with good coaching; this team would look much different....MUCH better

Where did he go wrong and what would you have done?

I'll respond tomorrow cause I'm about to fall asleep.

5 hours ago, zoony said:

I'm just not sure what changes can be made when the BACKUP to Keric Golston is playing NT

glad we ignored DL to get Doctson and Cravens. 

I'll go back to last draft when we passed on Leonard Williams... not an issue with Scherff  but DL was and is still a need...

Archived