Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Changes Would You Make?

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Barry should not have been allowed to sit at our table [ be hired ].

His record speaks for itself, and his lack of adjusting or giving help early to the secondary showed up against Pitt, and against Dallas it appears he didn't stress enough that Dak will take off or run a bootleg or 2, which he did on both opening drives of the game.

Yea, there is a big lack of talent on the front line, but the secondary is too talented to give up this many points and yardage.

I agree there were better choices as DC. But he's at the table. And coaching changes usually hurt more than help (there are circumstances that's not the case).

i don't think our secondary is as good as you think it is, for the record.

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree there were better choices as DC. But he's at the table. And coaching changes usually hurt more than help (there are circumstances that's not the case).

i don't think our secondary is as good as you think it is, for the record.

Coaching changes might hurt, but when you are the 32nd ranked defense in the national football league, what kind of repercussions are we talking about here?

I agree, outside of Norman our defensive backfield isn't very good.  And it certainly isn't helped by our defensive front 7.  

2 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Absolutely hate myself for thinking this, but I'm inclined to think we should have Toler start for Breeland. Maybe for just a game or two until Breeland practices his way out of this slump he's in. 

He's just completely lost his confidence right now and it's showing up with how soft his coverage is. I'm worried he's not going to work his way out of it soon, especially with the WRs he's about to face this week. :/

Breeland is getting way too much criticism....I think his coverage has been fine, for the most part.....let's remember that he got beat by Brown and Bryant.....Let's also remember that he got no support from a pass rush and it seemed like Safeties and Linebackers were not in position underneath; which makes the throws much easier for the QB

10 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

He's a highly regarded personnel guy, not a GM....hes only been a GM for 3 years and has a mediocre record.

Bruce Allen did a better job in 2014 then GMSM has done the past 2 years....I'm not saying Bruce is better, but....

Spare me the Skins won 9 games with Scot and 4 games with Bruce....it was all about the QB that Scot had nothing to do with

Having said that, I'm definitely giving Scot another year.

Why didn't Scot McCloughan address Redskins needs this offseason? Theory: Wasn't trying. Just read his quotes. http://foxs.pt/2d4eScx 

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

Unless your Dan Snyder, you giving him another year doesn't really hold any weight. 

This franchise was a train wreck, had given up a hefty sum for a QB that didn't work out, had an aging roster. Scot inherited one of the most dysfunctional franchises that existed. Bruce is the GM Bruce we all know from Tampa. If we as Fans can't give Scot a full five years to see his vision develop, the ship will continue to circle. And then we can replace the Browns.....

grasping.jpg

I don't care what GMSM inherited....I'm strictly looking at the decisions he's made since he got here.....not good enough....period

5 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I don't care what GMSM inherited....I'm strictly looking at the decisions he's made since he got here.....not good enough....period

Please list out the decisions you would have made vs. the ones he made. Oh and make sure you read that link I posted above.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Although, despite my earlier comment that we missed the boat not hiring Phillips, I think it's important to point out the total lack of defensive talent.

I don't think Barry is going shopping for the groceries.

First point, Jim Schwartz is the guy I've wanted since 2009 and I still do. Now he's in the division and we will pay for that.

The Groceries. I guess we've invested in the defense. 2 DEs in Smith and Murphy. 2 late late round ILBs, despite that being our biggest hole for 25 years, minus a couple of Londons good years. A corner and an OLB who we're trying to create a position for at ILB/SS. Someone has gotten some acceptable groceries, but nobody knows how to use the ingredients.

First point, Jim Schwartz is the guy I've wanted since 2009 and I still do. Now he's in the division and we will pay for that.

The Groceries. I guess we've invested in the defense. 2 DEs in Smith and Murphy. 2 late late round ILBs, despite that being our biggest hole for 25 years, minus a couple of Londons good years. A corner and an OLB who we're trying to create a position for at ILB/SS. Someone has gotten some acceptable groceries, but nobody knows how to use the ingredients.

Wouldn't call any of those aside from Norman and Cravens acceptable groceries. ILB is a mess. Golston is a starting DT for us. I like him, but to start? Murphy is okay... if the rest of the D is in tact he's a good piece. Smith is the same. 

Safety, ILB, DT are HUGE holes. As is OLB/DE depending on who you count in each position. 

59 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wouldn't call any of those aside from Norman and Cravens acceptable groceries. ILB is a mess. Golston is a starting DT for us. I like him, but to start? Murphy is okay... if the rest of the D is in tact he's a good piece. Smith is the same. 

Safety, ILB, DT are HUGE holes. As is OLB/DE depending on who you count in each position. 

Unfortunately and rather heartbreakingly devastating, Kevin Golston is done for the year with an ACL. Iaonnidas is coming up. You know, the 5th round pick and exclusive DL we got in the heaviest Dline draft in history, who didn't beat Golston out and went to the PS.

ILB has been a hole forever. That's where our 1rst or 2nd round picks need to be aimed. Maybe even both. 

Smith is a major disappointment this year, but he probably has Carteritis like Murphy and just needs to play in the position he plays in, DE.

I hate the 34/43 argument as much as anyone, but I think we have the personnel to play a traditional 43. Smith and Kerrigan have no idea what a boot, misdirection or screen look like, at least from the backer position.

You know after injuries to Baker and Golston on Sunday, we only had 3 DL dressed? 3?!?!? How are we only starting with 5 in the first place?

I am done with Barry. It's basic bull**** he's failing at and it's obvious. 

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kevin Golston is done for the year with an ACL.

kedric golston. hamstring

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Smith is a major disappointment this year, but he probably has Carteritis like Murphy and just needs to play in the position he plays in, DE.

I hate the 34/43 argument as much as anyone, but I think we have the personnel to play a traditional 43. Smith and Kerrigan have no idea what a boot, misdirection or screen look like, at least from the backer position.

this has been discussed over and over again. we are rarely in base 3-4.  and yes, kerrigan does know how to player linebacker, because thats been his position for 5 years in the nfl.

11 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

You know after injuries to Baker and Golston on Sunday, we only had 3 DL dressed? 3?!?!? How are we only starting with 5 in the first place?

most plays we only have 2 on the field at a time.  plus murphy is listed as OLB so he can play DL if needed.  that gave us 6.  its not that big of a deal.

We've been getting beat up in the run game when they come out in shotgun or 3 wide and we go to a 2-4-5 look with Phillips.

I would play it different to try to stop the run/get a pass rush and take advantage of our strength in the secondary.

They've mostly been putting a DE and a DT in the middle, and 2 OLBS with Phillips covering the slot.

That's pretty light for my liking.  They're running this on 1st and 10, when teams are trying to run the ball.

On early downs I would get 3 DL out there, with 2 OLBs (Murphy) and 2 MLB (Cravens), and put Hall on the slot.  Hall and Cravens should give us good zone coverage roaming around in the middle with Compton or Foster.  The other safety will have to play deep, so whoever does that best should play.

When it gets to 3rd and long put the other corner in, and take out the 3rd big man. Smith, Murphy, Baker, and Kerrigan should all be out there on 3rd and long.

59 minutes ago, Skins Wingman said:

kedric golston. hamstring

this has been discussed over and over again. we are rarely in base 3-4.  and yes, kerrigan does know how to player linebacker, because thats been his position for 5 years in the nfl.

most plays we only have 2 on the field at a time.  plus murphy is listed as OLB so he can play DL if needed.  that gave us 6.  its not that big of a deal.

Whatever, they called him Kevin during the game and I thought it was funny.

Usually by me. I blast it constantly. You also made my point about Kerrigan being an OLB, instead of a pretend DE in our mystical 34.

I know what Murphy is listed as. It is a big deal when you can't stop the run and your defense is on the field constantly and you don't have DL to rotate.

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Unfortunately and rather heartbreakingly devastating, Kevin Golston is done for the year with an ACL. Iaonnidas is coming up. You know, the 5th round pick and exclusive DL we got in the heaviest Dline draft in history, who didn't beat Golston out and went to the PS.

"Kevin" Golston? Was that a joke because the sideline reporter called him that on Sunday? I'm going to assume you know the longest tenured Redskins' players name.

After watching the Eagles game last night, it just nails home the fact that our coaching staff is awful. That team has average talent, but Pederson and Schwartz had their team well prepared. Last year we started off with vanilla offense and defense, just like this year, but then got more creative throughout the season. We need to flip the switch asap. So tough to have no confidence in shutting down a 3rd & long on defense or converting a 3rd & anything on offense.

59 minutes ago, CTskin said:

"Kevin" Golston? Was that a joke because the sideline reporter called him that on Sunday? I'm going to assume you know the longest tenured Redskins' players name.

After watching the Eagles game last night, it just nails home the fact that our coaching staff is awful. That team has average talent, but Pederson and Schwartz had their team well prepared. Last year we started off with vanilla offense and defense, just like this year, but then got more creative throughout the season. We need to flip the switch asap. So tough to have no confidence in shutting down a 3rd & long on defense or converting a 3rd & anything on offense.

That was the joke. I'm wearing my 64 jersey right now.

9 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

There's a myth that if you hire a new coach it means you're going to stink the first year or two.....first year coaches win all the time in this league....

Agreed..... unless they turnover and reinvent the defense, forget to get the requisite nose the 3-4 requires, and refuse to drag a single QB until year 3...

44 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Please list out the decisions you would have made vs. the ones he made. Oh and make sure you read that link I posted above.

I read the article...If SM was the GM of the Browns, I would understand....I don't agree with his philosophy with the team he had this year.....if you're rebuilding, you don't sign Norman for 75 mil.    I'm not even sure that article is true....I just don't think SM understands D-Line talent.....he has a proven track record of failure in that area.

In regards to decision I would have made.....just about every free agent he's signed has been a failure....by the way, I give him no credit for signing Norman....I don't need SM to sign Norman....Dan/Vinny/Bruce could have/would have done that.

Draft wise - Williams over Scherff.....I would have handled his first 4 rounds in this years draft differently.....I would not have drafted Fuller....I would not have given away our 4th round pick....If there was zero option to trade down from #22, I would have drafted Vernon Butler

12 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

DHall should've never been switched to safety. That was a poor move, IMHO, and in the long run we may suffer for it. We need a real safety back there.

That move rarely works.

The biggest upset in team history may be DeAngelo Hall lasting 9 seasons and a position switch here. It actually concerns me a little that one of the most mercenary players I've ever seen said to himself, "I've GOT to stay around THAT team."

But I've got a thing with Hall. Ignore me.

2 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Breeland is getting way too much criticism....I think his coverage has been fine, for the most part.....let's remember that he got beat by Brown and Bryant.....Let's also remember that he got no support from a pass rush and it seemed like Safeties and Linebackers were not in position underneath; which makes the throws much easier for the QB

I'm not criticizing him, just acknowledging he's not playing at his best. It happens. I was fine with his play against the Steelers, to a degree. But he wasn't himself against the Cowboys. Norman didn't receive the same support and was still making plays, right? The coaching staff recognized Breeland wasn't getting it done and decided to have Norman follow Dez, too. So, yeah, I think it's safe to say he's not himself. 

Maybe that'll get fixed on its own, I just don't want him to continue to lose confidence. 

Our safety situation is sketchy at best. And to that end, I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Barry was reluctant to move Norman around, because they play different coverages to Norman. 

Ill have to watch the film when I get 5-10 minutes free and see what I can diagnose. 

Archived