Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Changes Would You Make?

Koolblue13

14 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Don't forget Long

Long was getting used on the stretch runs, though.  Hopefully that'll come with reps.  But there was one outside zone to the right in the 4th where it's probably a 20 yard gain because of the blocking but Long gut bull rushed at the snap and never recovered.  Everything was perfectly blocked except for Long's guy and sometimes that is all it takes.

I have a couple of requests for this week, and they're all cliche:

1)  Bring in John Sullivan immediately.  He should probably already be here.  If he can play, sign him. 

2)  Call Pot Roast, have Bake pick him up from the airport, and sign him as well.

3)  Fire Joe Barry - two dudes got into him last week, one during the game.  And arguably the two most mature and "team" oriented guys on that side of the ball.  Enough is enough.  Promote either Perry Fewell or Greg Manusky.

@pjfootballer I agree. Running the ball is not exclusively about gaining yards. I think Jones being soft is the issue. I don't know how he draws Lynch comparisons. 232 pounds and goes down with the first threat of contact every time, although he did seem to get better later in the game.

I think Jones and Cousins need to be hit more to succeed.

@DC9 I originally said Fewell, but I was wrong. He had Buffalo looking good as an interim coach, so maybe that's an answer, but at this point it'd be interesting to see how Olivadotti or Manusky could do.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's two ways that a player can be responsible for calling plays. The good way, like a Peyton Manning who's basically a coordinator and the bad way, which is team leaders following coaches around on the sidelines yelling at them or players on the field waving off the coaches calls.

I will say, Joe Barry got a lot more aggressive with his play calling after Chris Baker gave him what for.  The second half defense was so much better!

59 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I will say, Joe Barry got a lot more aggressive with his play calling after Chris Baker gave him what for.  The second half defense was so much better!

He's putting the defense in 3 man fronts, dropping the ILBs back into coverage, rushing the outside guys and the running backs are 5 yards down passed the LoS before running into Compton with a head of steam or worse, with a Guard (like Pugh yesterday) in front of them untouched.

It's pathetic.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's putting the defense in 3 man fronts, dropping the ILBs back into coverage, rushing the outside guys and the running backs are 5 yards down passed the LoS before running into Compton with a head of steam or worse, with a Guard (like Pugh yesterday) in front of them untouched.

It's pathetic.

Who is: Baker or Barry?

6 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

The fact that you have your players giving you what for, for playcalling speaks volumes tbh. Regardless how we do this season, Barry and possibly McVay need to go tbh. Even though Gruden has a lot to do w/ some of the offensive playcalling.

1 hour ago, youngchew said:

I thought we here on ES told the skins last week to quit it with that bull**** ass fade in the endzone. Not even close enough to say "not even close." :( 

There's nothing wrong the play call. It's a legit pass.

You don't call it for the smallest WR in the league or 3 times in a row, but ultimately the fade is a legit call. 

I am not sure if it's a problem, but not taking a timeout near the end of the first half, to ensure 3 throws into the end zone, was a mistake. Ok, why fight it - 3 fades and likely still time for a FG. Something where Kirk wouldn't feel the need to sit in the pocket too long. A slant to Garcon.

I think I read that Jay stands by his opinion to not call the TO. I would think he should say we will discuss it internally and learn from it.

Something has to change on D

2016 Redskins Defense:

-30th in points per game
-32nd in 3rd down % (dead last when it comes to getting off the field)
-30th in total yards per game
-30th in defensive penalty yards

WTF, man.  Kirk and the offense have been down by 10+ in every single game this year.

Question I can't get an answer to...  in the 3rd quarter the Giants had the ball on our side of the field and and they did a running play and gained about 6 yards... there was a flag on the play of illegal formation by the offense and we declined the penalty.... no one seemed to question it on the broadcast but I did... why would we do that? 

EDIT:  Found it here...   

http://www.nflpenalties.com/game/washington-redskins-at-new-york-giants-09-25-2016

Illegal formation on NYG, 3rd qtr 9:22 remaining.  Shows penalty was declined.

I'm not sure what can be done in the short term to improve the defense, especially with the injuries suffered yesterday.  The play of Compton and Foster needs to improve for sure -- I'd love to see more of Cravens and Spaight (hopefully he can go next game). 

4 hours ago, Gizmo 3squire said:

Establish the run game - this will be crucial down the line, especially w/ Red Zone offense. Plus it lessens the wear on our receivers. They are our only scorers on offense and if a key player goes down, and have to rely on the run, it's curtains.

- Sign Ray Rice (We need another backfield threat)

- When we had dual threat at RB, Matt Jones thrived

- (See Eagles Run Game)***

Beef up the defensive line

- I still say sign Pot Roast for another year

- We will need it for Dallas and Philly down the trenches

Red Zone Offense absolutely has to score - Drill that in practice

- Instead of games being so close, it would've been a decisive victory over Dallas and NYG

Please find a safety that can replace Litch. Jesus Christ.

Let the young talent play, rotating the roster is helping.

great points, but i can't sign Ray Rice...and I dont care if he is the 2nd coming of Jim Brown...f' that ****er...period...

I really liked Pierre Thomas....lil' Kelvin Bryantish...

/Does anyone know how Reiter played for the Browns yesterday?

4 hours ago, DC9 said:

Long was getting used on the stretch runs, though.  Hopefully that'll come with reps.  But there was one outside zone to the right in the 4th where it's probably a 20 yard gain because of the blocking but Long gut bull rushed at the snap and never recovered.  Everything was perfectly blocked except for Long's guy and sometimes that is all it takes.

I have a couple of requests for this week, and they're all cliche:

1)  Bring in John Sullivan immediately.  He should probably already be here.  If he can play, sign him. 

2)  Call Pot Roast, have Bake pick him up from the airport, and sign him as well.

3)  Fire Joe Barry - two dudes got into him last week, one during the game.  And arguably the two most mature and "team" oriented guys on that side of the ball.  Enough is enough.  Promote either Perry Fewell or Greg Manusky.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, HtownRocks111 said:

Question I can't get an answer to...  in the 3rd quarter the Giants had the ball on our side of the field and and they did a running play and gained about 6 yards... there was a flag on the play of illegal formation by the offense and we declined the penalty.... no one seemed to question it on the broadcast but I did... why would we do that? 

Illegal formation on NYG, 3rd qtr 9:22 remaining.  Shows penalty was declined.

didnt it force a 4th down?...if it did, we probably didnt want to give them one more chance on a third and long..offenses were making at a 60% clip against us

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

If it's true that Vernon Davis kept overriding Sean McVay and forcing them to call runs... I think one play we should make is that Vernon Davis should be co-offensive coordinator.

We say it ALL the time cause we're fans, but this year it's actually true... the team is talented.  The coaches are ****ing it up and it's amazing.

We should be 2-1 at worst. 

Good news is there is still time, but we have to win these games we should be winning.  These next 3 are monstrous.

22 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

didnt it force a 4th down?...if it did, we probably didnt want to give them one more chance on a third and long..offenses were making at a 60% clip against us

No the next play the kid Darkwah ran for a first down (it was 2nd and 10).

That was the drive that Bruton picked it off but the refs said he didn't.

At that point, taking the loss of downs was more important than backing them up.  So I have no problems with declining that one.

Just now, DC9 said:

We say it ALL the time cause we're fans, but this year it's actually true... the team is talented.  The coaches are ****ing it up and it's amazing.

We should be 2-1 at worst. 

Good news is there is still time, but we have to win these games we should be winning.  These next 3 are monstrous.

We should have the number one offense in the NFL right now. I cant think of a team with these kind of weapons. The old rams maybe. 29 runs in 3 weeks and Cousins terrible throws have really hurt us. Along with penalties, again.

Start a game with equal runs and rhythmic passes, build it up. Keep your defense off the field and score some points, then come out in the second half and stomp the throttle.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Start a game with equal runs and rhythmic passes, build it up. Keep your defense off the field and score some points, then come out in the second half and stomp the throttle.

Man you nailed it there, bro.  It seems like McVay is just picking from a menu but doesn't really have a flow or a gameplan.  That **** works in Madden but it doesn't work in real life.

And I'm probably the most "we don't know anything about playcalling" poster on this board, but I have to admit this has been a ****ed up operation.  Get into a groove, show some balance.

Would we love Cuzzo to come in and slay straight out of the locker room?  Absolutely.  He's not that guy yet and honestly he's probably another year or two away from that.

Run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run. Duh. It's so simple stoopid!!!1!

Half joking aside, man was it tough watching McVay feelin' it, trying to run Jones up the gut late, on that 3rd and 1.  We ran the ball a lot on that drive, the Giant's had to be at their peak riipeness, to CRUSH them with play action. Luckily, our stud kicker saved the day with yet another FG.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Run when they expect pass, pass when they expect run. Duh. It's so simple stoopid!!!1!

Half joking aside, man was it tough watching McVay feelin' it, trying to run Jones up the gut late, on that 3rd and 1.  We ran the ball a lot on that drive, the Giant's had to be at their peak riipeness, to CRUSH them with play action. Luckily, our stud kicker saved the day with yet another FG.

What's heart-wrenching is if Cuzzo doesn't throw that pick in the end zone, he has a similar drive at the end of the Cowboys game and we beat them with a FG at the end.  He's got 2 game winning drives back to back against division opponents.

But that was the first "Jay Gruden Offense" drive I've seen all year and I wish we would've come away with 7.  Just milk the clock and beat the **** out of them up front... be tediously slow and make them impatient.  Milked over 6 minutes off the clock and moved the ball a good ways, that's how you know when this offense is "humming" because that's what it's supposed to look like.  And that was invaluable time given to the defense as well.

Hopefully we'll get to see what this team is supposed to look like against Cleveland this week.  I think the players are certainly fired up. 

There is SO MUCH wrong with the 2016 Skins starting with they have been bullied at the LOS 3 weeks in a row, where is the big boy football we were promised by SM?

The one change that I'd like to make to potentially help in the short term is try starting Kelly or Mac Brown at running back.  Jones isn't quick enough or nimble enough to take advantage of the gaps that are actually there Jones needs to have a hole waiting for him at the LOS.  I'd save Jones for late in the game when the defenses are tired and a hole will be there and Jones could punish the opposition late in the game but I'd try Kelly and or Brown early in the game.  Thompson can't take the hits so I wouldn't change his role but I'd replace Jones early in the game.

Absolutely thrilled we won....a loss would have been season ending...

1) Burgundy pants....thank you....don't change.

2) This is a sub par coaching staff....every time I watch the Patriots, you see what a great coaching staff is all about.

3) The worst part about the win is that it put lipstick on a pig as it relates to Barry.  I would fire Barry now...make Fewell the Coordinator and let DHall help coach the secondary.

4) The inability to execute in the red zone is a disgrace.

5) Sign John Sullivan and Karlos Williams...Fat Rob is a practice squad guy.

Archived