Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Changes Would You Make?

Koolblue13

17 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

A few changes I would make to the red zone...

1) more 3 TE sets.

2) Use some read option

3) Stop using Ryan Grant...He should never see the field if you have other options.

1. Yes. But don't be afraid to spread it out from 3TE.  

2. Yes.

3. Grant is the blocking WR. Him being in the field is a 90% tip off that it's a run. 

On 9/26/2016 at 8:38 AM, Burgold said:

If it's true that Vernon Davis kept overriding Sean McVay and forcing them to call runs... I think one play we should make is that Vernon Davis should be co-offensive coordinator.

For whatever reason, this reminded me of a post game interview between Sonny and Zorn.  

Somny said that he would have over-ridden a Zorn play call, and Zorn said he would have "Sat him down." After going back and forth a few times, Zorn said,"What's wrong with my play?" And Sonny retorted, "It didn't work."

ah, Redskins nostalgia....

@DC9we do not fire coaches who coached for the Lombardi packers ... err I meant the 2003-2008 Tampa Bay Bucs.

On 9/26/2016 at 10:18 AM, Koolblue13 said:

There's nothing wrong the play call. It's a legit pass.

You don't call it for the smallest WR in the league or 3 times in a row, but ultimately the fade is a legit call. 

It can work to a small receiver.  Griffin threw a DIME fade to Moss in the road game against Philly in 2012.  It was a thing of beauty.

On 9/26/2016 at 8:04 AM, DC9 said:

I have a couple of requests for this week, and they're all cliche:

1)  Bring in John Sullivan immediately.  He should probably already be here.  If he can play, sign him. 

2)  Call Pot Roast, have Bake pick him up from the airport, and sign him as well.

3)  Fire Joe Barry - two dudes got into him last week, one during the game.  And arguably the two most mature and "team" oriented guys on that side of the ball.  Enough is enough.  Promote either Perry Fewell or Greg Manusky.

One down... two to go.

Re-watched the game and a few things stood out to me, so similar to last week I'll post a few thoughts.

1. Joe Barry needs to find a way to get this defense off the field more. Giving up WAY too many 3rd down conversions, the defense is too vanilla and he has got to draw up some blitzes to throw QB's off of their game. This needs to be done soon or our D will stay as one of the worst in the league. If he can start scheming better this D has a chance to at least be middle of the pack.

2. I'm not putting all the blame on Barry. Contrary to popular belief I don't think our fat boys on the D-line are playing that poorly, but Will Compton and Mason Foster have been absolutely piss poor and that's crushing our run D. Murphy and Smith played well but where is Ryan Kerrigan? We are paying him to be a force and he simply hasn't been much of a factor at all. He was up against a below-average backup tackle and had no QB hurries from what I could see. Maybe we need to move him around more I'm not sure.

3. I mentioned last week our offense was close to being very good. Sunday was a big step in the right direction. Yes, I know our redzone O is worse than kidney stones, but I have a gut feeling all it takes is the Browns defense for us to bust through that wall. Once we score a few TD's I think it'll bring a big swagger to the O. Kirk missed a couple of opportunities but he played a solid game in a hostile environment.

4. Huge props to a few guys- Crowder is a special player. Cravens is going to be the leader of this defense for years to come. Baker is picking up where he left off, how did Eli get up after that sack? Dunbar- what a story he is. Tress Way/Hopkins, can't say enough about how good these guys are. Trent Williams is a HOF talent. 

Moving forward, we need Breeland and Lavuao healthy soon. As a few have mentioned, I want to see some 3 TE sets inside the 10. I want more disguise blitzing from our D. These next two games are massive for us. We need to avoid the trap and take care of business Sunday, and we then need to win at Baltimore against a beatable Ravens team. The NFCE isn't a joke at all like last year and the league has been put on notice. All 4 teams could very well win 8 or more games so it is imperative to win these games early 

11 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Except the for the fact that pot roast was useless last year

People keep saying this... and yet our run defense the first few weeks (last year) wasn't bad.  Our short yardage run defense was also better... and we didn't have teams saying "**** the Redskins and their 4th down defense" 5 times in the first 2 games.

Pot Roast is a package player... you have to use him as such. 

12 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Play Rob Kelly. Minus the slips.

Yeah get him some longer spikes for that field turf.  His vision is much better than Jones' but if Jones can run like he did on that last drive we'll be alright.

Maybe Jones just needs more carries and more contact to get fired up. He seriously goes down at the first bit of contact. It's like he's playing touch football.

Once Robinson damn near knocked him the **** out, after he was falling down and fumbling, he came back and looked like an actual legit RB.

I was very against Pot Roast earlier. Now I have no idea why he's not employed by us.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe Jones just needs more carries and more contact to get fired up. He seriously goes down at the first bit of contact. It's like he's playing touch football.

Once Robinson damn near knocked him the **** out, after he was falling down and fumbling, he came back and looked like an actual legit RB.

I was very against Pot Roast earlier. Now I have no idea why he's not employed by us.

Jones is not a starting RB...he may look like Lynch, but plays nothing like him....runs too high...He's not decisive...Just not impressed

Honestly, I think they should at least attempt to sell Trent Williams the idea of continuing the experiment of the O-Line group we were forced to use last week. 

Did anybody else see him out there taking the dignity away from any defender in his path? Particularly when he was pulling. Look at a highlight of the Crowder screen if you want to know what I mean by "taking away the dignity" of anybody in his path. 

Ultimately, I know this was a 1 week treat & that the optics of moving our franchise LT to guard mid-season would be reason enough on its own for the team to not do it, but it changed our offense in a big way with Trent playing on the interior. And Nsekhe played decent enough at tackle vs a pretty nasty pass rush that it wouldn't end up being the end of the world if he stayed at that position. He did draw a lot of praise for his improved play during training camp, so maybe there is something there. 

But you could tell a difference in the aggression with which we ran the ball with Trent at guard. Our RBs started bursting upfield immediately & decisively, resulting in 5+ yard gains instead of getting happy feet & being tackled for no gain like they've been doing for two years now.

If moving Trent to guard allows us to run the ball with some sort of consistency, I think that it shouldn't even be a discussion, they should just do it. And as a captain and a guy who leads by example, I could definitely see Trent swallowing some pride for the sake of doing what is best for the team. 

(P.S. Longtime reader, finally decided it'd be fun to join in the discussion instead of just reading posts. So this is the first of many posts you'll hopefully be seeing from me. Hail!) 

Apparently Duke played only 14 snaps while Bruton played 3 times that much.  WHY?

Can we look into what the hell is wrong with Kerrigan this year?  He just seems off in every possible way.

We miss way too many tackles on D.  If we are going to be a ****ty defense at least tackle right.  Coaches need to hold players accountable.

Love what others said about 3 TE sets, we need to do this a lot more and either run or pass from such a formation.  It could totally confuse Defenses.

Archived