Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Changes Would You Make?

Koolblue13

I really don't understand what Joe Barry is doing on 3rd down.....you can give him a pass for not having enough talent up front, but on four of the Cowboys scoring drives; they completed 3rd and long.....he's rushing 3 or 4.....our zone coverages never seem to work.....people are killing Breeland, but he's getting no support from Safeties or Linebackers.

on the last Cowboys scoring drive; they had a 3rd and 11...Barry has Bruton on Beasley....WHY???????....If you're going to do that, at least blitz...make Dak get rid of it quickly.

Usually the defense tries to confuse the offense, but we confuse nobody...except ourselves.

Man, today made me sick. I can think of a bunch of changes but need to wait for emotions to air out. 

Time to start holding GMSM accountable for this team, too. Applaud him for not throwing Monopoly money at Kirk, but if we weren't gift wrapped 24, look at our offseason. I mean, seriously? Dline play is terrible, center play is terrible, safety play is terrible. This hasn't been addressed for TWO years!! If Kirk plays just an ok game today do we win? Absolutely. But this still reaks of a 6-10 team; with the best supporting cast on O in the NFL. Just terrible. 

First, I would say that there needs to be more accountability.  I would start implementing hitting and tackling in practice.  The best teams do this.  The Steelers self-impose this (even if it's against league rules) and the Seahawks have gotten in trouble with the league on it. 

I don't really know what to suggest at this point. Our biggest problem seems to be defense, but I'm not well versed enough to know how much of it is coaching and scheme as opposed to talent and execution. I'll say this: Whether or not Barry is to blame, he's certainly not looking good right now. 

I don't think we have the pieces in place to be legitimate competitors this season. Still, I'll give it one more week before I start insisting that changes need to be made. If we lose to NY, however, then we're in dire straits.

I think it's likely that the powers that be will show Gruden and his staff the door if we finish with double digits in the loss column. 

4 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

GMSM drafts BPA, supposedly.....He must have been the only person in America, besides the Scherff family; that had Scherff as a better player.

except for thos mock draft people who had us picking Scherff, us picking him wasn't actually a surprise you know

40 minutes ago, carex said:

and with that he's completing almost 70% of his passes and has over 300 yards passing in both games

Come on, he missed throws early on MNF or we are up 14-0. Should have scored 50 today. He is completing 70% but should be completing 80% with how open guys have been. He's been inaccurate. He's been poor. 

RZ playcalling has been suspect, but unless he is not allowed to audible inside the 20, that is a QB duty as well. Get to the line and see the damn fade is covered and opt to a run instead. Again, third year with the system and fifth year on the league. Reasonable expectations.

2 minutes ago, TheCoach22 said:

Come on, he missed throws early on MNF or we are up 14-0. Should have scored 50 today. He is completing 70% but should be completing 80% with how open guys have been. He's been inaccurate. He's been poor. 

RZ playcalling has been suspect, but unless he is not allowed to audible inside the 20, that is a QB duty as well. Get to the line and see the damn fade is covered and opt to a run instead. Again, third year with the system and fifth year on the league. Reasonable expectations.

has he had reason to audible?  A play simply not working is not reason to audible after all, you audible when you see a weakness or when you see the other team is perfectly set up to just blow up the play.  That's not how they went down IMO

1 minute ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Getting rid of Bruce Allen has gotta be up there on my things to do.

We have an owner, a GM, and a HC.

What exactly is he doing for this franchise except "playing dress up like my daddy's team"?

hmm, if he's not doing anything then how is he hurting the team?

I haven't read the entire thread, some of these are probably repeats:

1. I'd probably sign Knighton.  Not because he's going to be great, but because he's big, knows the system, and is probably better than the absolutely nobody else we have playing DT/NT at the moment.  (And because my wife bought me a "Pot Roast" custom jersey last year, and I'd like at least 1 more season of use out of it.)  NOTE: I'm not saying that this would really make anything all that much better.  Just that they need a body, and he's a big body.

2. I would force Joe Barry to figure out a way to have Norman "travel" and always cover the #1 receiver, and make sure everybody else knows their job in that event.  He's always locked up man-to-man on the #1, and then just go from there.

3.None of the defensive players are playing very well right now, so just keep rotating guys in until you find guys who can play.  The DHall at safety experiment needs to bear more fruit really soon, or it needs to end.  

4. After the season, if this mockery of defensive game planning continues, I'd fire Barry.  There really is no point in firing him now.  I would then hire somebody who never coached in Tampa Bay from 2002-2010. 

5. I would never, ever, ever, in any way shape or form, run sideways on a short yardage situation.  Our OL is NOT going to get it done.  Our RBs are not going to get it done.  Don't try and trick the opponent.  Go fire off the damn ball and push somebody back, and get 1 yard.  None of this trap bull crap.  

6. No more calling a play 3 times if it isn't working.  If it doesn't work after the second time, find a new play. (See: Fade to the corner of the end-zone to Dockson and then Reed.) I'd personally can that fade entirely.  

7. Any OL that false starts at home has to buy every person attending the game a beer or soda, depending on the age of the consumer.

8. I would inactivate Tres Way the rest of the season. The defense is so bad, never punt.  Even if it's 4th and 23 from your own 2, just go for it.  Chances are, if you punt, you're giving up at least a FG, and more likely a TD anyway.  So, if you turn it over on downs, at least you save some time...

8b. I would almost pass up a FG in any "reasonable" 4th down situation.  4th and less than 4, even in FG range, I'd probably go for it.  

8c. I might be tempted to go on-side every single attempt, with the assumption you're going to get a few here and there.  Again, the defense is SO bad, kicking deep really doesn't buy you anything.  You need to steal possessions any way you can.  And preserve time for your offense.

8d. For any of this to work, Kirk has to get his head out of his tucus and play like a $20m guy.  

My "Delorean Time Machine"  things I would change (this goes back only to last season.  I'm not going to go back and say things like, "don't trade for Griffin, draft the doobie in Seattle, etc.  Just more recent stupidity that I would rectify...) :

1. I would never have hired Barry.  He's not a terrible coach, I don't think.  But he's the coaching equivalent of "just a guy."  I heard rumor that Wade wanted a certain number of draft picks allocated to defense, so you can't have that kind of an agreement.  But I would have tried to find somebody else who's either had good success as a coordinator, or somebody who is an up-and-comer looking for his first opportunity.  Not a guy who coordinated the defense of an 0-16 team. 

2. I would have played a lot of guys a lot more in the preseason.  Some of the timing of the offense is just off.  And the only thing that really works on timing is playing. 

3. I would not have drafted JD in the first round, whatever the value might have been, even if they are looking down the road at DJax and Garcon both on the last year of their contracts.  They have NOBODY on the DL.  Baker is a good rotational guy/backup.  And he's the best of the bunch.  That means you've GOT to throw draft picks at the problem.  

4. I don't think I would have hired Callahan.  He's a great OL coach.  But the run scheme and the pass scheme don't seem to be in sync.  If you hire Callahan, I think he should have been the OC.  It's interesting, the RBs fit more the style Callahan has traditionally run, but the OL fits more the style Gruden runs.  And they're not exactly the same.  Which is also odd because Callahan was on the Jon Gruden staff on the Raiders.  It's all odd, but I think it's a bad fit. 

7 minutes ago, illone said:

I think it's time to move on from the Joe Barry experiment.  his defense is just horrible, always playing on their heels.  Who on the existing staff has some DC experience, Fewell?  Let him take over for the rest of the year...

The chance of firing Barry 2 games in is the same as my chances of having sexual relations with Natalie Dormer.  Possible, but extremely unlikely.  

59 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

2 games, 89 passes, 29 rushes per Chris Russell and confirmed from ESPN stats. You don't win games with that ratio unless you have Rogers/Brady. Cousins ain't bad, but he ain't those guys either. They're putting too much pressure on him and the defense.

You do if you can't freaking run.  They were ever so slightly better today.  But they still average about 0 yards on 1st down runs.  

The first thing I would do is pack up Joe Barry's office and have his stuff waiting for him when he gets in tomorrow. He is just a piece of sheet as an NFL DC. I can't take this idiot anymore. Everyone is shouting for this stupid fool to put Norman on Dez yet his arrogance and inability to make the most simple adjustment tells me he has an ego problem. I've seen enough, he must go. Hell ...look how lost he was against Green Bay last year?  What do they see in this dummy?  Why was he hired in the first place? Oh wait...maybe it's good old boys club over at Redskin Park. Or Tampa North. Pathetic hire, especially since Wade Phillips was sitting there. 

The glaring blinding light change that must be done is removing Barry from this organization. Everyone wanted Haslett gone, but to hire someone with equally bad track record doesn't make sense.

Bruce Allen, dude, this isn't 1974, take your bottle of Gin and go far away; everywhere you've been there has been utter failure. Oakland, Tampa, anywhere you go teams begin to tank.

Find a FB free agent to help with blocking/offense.

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Honestly I think certain things can't be changed during the season. We aren't going to magically fall into a great pool of talent that improves the D-line consistently. Soooo what do you do?  For starters, blitz more.  You start taking more chances.  The conservative approach on the pass rush is not working.  It'd be different if they were bending and not breaking, but they aren't.   So you start bringing the heat more often.  Will it lead to possibly giving up a few more big plays? Sure, but it is also going to force the QB to rush some throws, possibly make mistakes.

On offense, run the ball, especially when it is effective like it was today.  Stop going away from what is working, especially in close games.  

Get more creative in the red zone. When Doctson runs into the game for goal line plays the opposing defense is looking to stop the fade, so how about you design a route where he runs towards the goal line but instead cuts inside sharply like a slant or cross......Do SOMETHING to that shows opposing defense different looks.

This is so true. I don't know why we don't dial up more blitzes. Our DL sucks and can't generate any pressure with a 4 man rush. We are giving the QBs all time to throw comfortably. More blitzes will most definitely result in more big plays but what's the point in taking a conservative approach when we can't make a god damn stop anyway. The offenses just march down on us anyway. We had the Cowboys to a third and considerably long (8+ yards) a couple of times and we constantly rushed 3 against that o-line. We did that against the Steelers as well and it did not work. After watching two games against us every OC will be like "alright guys we can do anything on first and second down because if we face 3rd and long they'll just rush 3 so our QB can scan the field for a minute or just wait until our TE/slot receiver beats his horrific opponent."

I, like everyone else, didn't like the Barry hire in the first place and a scheme that has Preston Smith covering Dez Bryant in the slot is probably the worst ever seen but our defense is just straight awful aside from maybe 3-4 players. As I don't think we'll see Barry gone in the next weeks someone should please tell him that we should try to overcome that lack of talent with riskier playcalling.

48 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

The glaring blinding light change that must be done is removing Barry from this organization. Everyone wanted Haslett gone, but to hire someone with equally bad track record doesn't make sense.

Actually, Barry had a much worse track record than Haslett.

16 hours ago, zoony said:

I'm just not sure what changes can be made when the BACKUP to Keric Golston is playing NT

glad we ignored DL to get Doctson and Cravens. 

Yup, best DL draft maybe ever and we dont address our biggest need.

Im fine with the Cravens pick b/c our LBs are slow and they stink IMO. Cravens will hopefully take Comptons spot soon. 

And im completely done with the 3-4. We need to switch back to the 4-3.

We dont have a NT, we dont have elite pass rushers and our LB cant cover anyone. Disaster for a 3-4 D

Archived