Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever had major surgery and if so what was it?

Springfield

I don't know why. Thought just crossed my mind and figured ES could talk about it. Major surgery scares me.

Most I've had is wisdom teeth extraction which put me under general anesthesia.

What about you folks? We're you scared? How did it go? Tell us about it.

I suppose, if it hurts that much or poses that much risk to health then undergoing a major procedure is a small price for relief.

Chances are for your wisdom teeth you were not under general anesthesia. Most likely twilight - which can be administered by a doctor, specialized nurse, or dentist while doing surgery. Same drugs. Knocks you out but not as deep. General is usually for more more significant surgery and requires anesthesiologist and much longer recovery time. I could be wrong. Every dentist is different and some use general anesthesia.

I had a percutaneous nephrolithotomy for a massive kidney stone that could not be taken out or broken up other ways....

The surgery was simple and recovery was easy. The OR is weird. They don't put you out before you go in. They roll you in and you stare up as tons of people taking and prepping the room. They ask you like 10 times to say out loud the surgery you are getting for malpractice. Then suddenly they put a mask on you and your out. No countdown. Just gone.

Woke up what felt like 10 seconds in recovery with crazy machines on my legs keeping blood circulating. I think surgery was an hour they said.

The Idea of general anesthesia was scary but they gave me some baller drugs while to waited to go to the OR. I was laughing as they rolled me back.

Do three spinal surgeries and a dbl bypass count?  :P

I have to do a heart stress test monday (which is scary as hell) for gallbladder surgery soon to follow. And I may very well need more spinal and/or hip surgery very soon after that if I want to continue to be able to walk.

Surgery sucks but the alternative is almost always worse. As for myself, that final step of going under anesthesia is when the fear comes to a head. 

My first major surgery (ruptured disk in my lower back) was the absolute worst. I went under in a panic and came out from anesthesia even worse. Like a groggy nightmare that is hard to wake up from. 

Since then I've learned to handle it better and when I tell them in pre-op that I have anxiety they have given me something to make the wait for that final step of going under much easier.

Oh, and Stents... I have five so far. Those are always fun... someone is poking around your heart while you are awake....

OK. I'm going to stop now, I'm starting to freak myself out.  :lol:

I had a right tympanomastoidectomy.  That's doctor speak for surgery to remove a tumorous growth from my ear.

I also had surgery to remove my gall bladder, as I had a large gall stone that needed to be removed.

Unfortunately yes. Several. Born with a double hernia. Just a few months shy of my 14th birthday,I was tripped up by a friend of mine,(while chasing each other off the school bus),and landed ribs first on one of those old,classic NOVA curbs. Ruptured my spleen. Went nearly 3 days before the docs at Fort Belvoir discovered it. Gee that was fun. But wait,there's more. Fast forward 6 months to mid-November,and I had a bowel resection done as a result of the first one. Apparently scar tissue wrapped around and strangulated the bowel. Thanksgiving dinner that year was an IV with proteins. That about covers it.  Oh yeah. Scared before the last one. Excited and then a little scared for the second one. 

Bunionectomy. 15+ years of hard work on my feet at a couple different jobs. My foot looked like a flipper, and I couldn't really get a shoe on that foot anymore. I learned the value of good shoes, and to buy new shoes for work more frequently.

I was a little nervous, but I was also tired of being in pain every step I took, and wanted to get it over with. Anesthesia is crazy. I remember the nurse talking to me:, "Ok you're going to start falling asleep and I'll count down from 5." All I heard was 5 and I woke up later in recovery, loopy as hell. No memory of anything. The recovery from the surgery was the hard part. 

I guess I should mention the surgery was at a hospital that I worked at, so maybe that's why I wasn't really scared. It was a familiar environment, and I knew everyone who was staring down at me as I faded off into lala land. 

Any surgery makes me jittery.  I don't care how minor it is.  I had four of my wisdom teeth removed last year.  I was very nervous because I only had one other minor surgery back when I was a teenager.  What made me nervous is being put under.  I talked the surgeon into going with local shots only.  He tried to talk me into getting IV sedation because my wisdom teeth needed to be cut out and some jaw bone needed to be removed to get the bottom ones out.  It wasn't simple extractions.  GA or IV sedation throws the words "possible death" into the disclaimers so I refused to do it.  I know it's very, very rare for it to happen, but I still didn't want to do it.  Plus I didn't want to go 8 hours without eating or drinking before the procedure.  He was like "okay, but I've had other patients who said the same thing and as soon as they sit in my chair, they freak out and want to get knocked out."

I did one side at a time on two different days.  I got the full wisdom teeth removal experience because I was fully awake and alert the whole time.  It wasn't that bad, but it was intense.  I could hear the crunching and popping of breaking teeth.  I could feel the pressure in my sinus cavity as he was pulling the top ones out.  The vibrations of the saw and drill on my bottom teeth and jaw bone was pretty intense.  It was rattling my skull.  Every few minutes or so he would stop and say "are you still with me?" and "are you doing alright?"  I was calm the entire time. 

The cool thing about going with the local shots only was that I was allowed to eat a big meal an hour before the surgery.  IV sedation must be a very strong drug if people are completely unaware of what's going on during that procedure because it is pretty damn intense.

All the dudes in RTT will claim "penis reduction" if I don't do it first.

What about penis reductionS (plural). First one wasn't effective, wife was still having pain

Not sure if it counts as "major" surgery but I had three pins put in my ankle after a nasty break & dislocation during football practice.

All the dudes in RTT will claim "penis reduction" if I don't do it first.

Plastic surgery to make my junk 13 inches long.

Oh, you had one too?

What about penis reductionS (plural). First one wasn't effective, wife was still having pain

Yeah, penis reduction surgery sucks, but you gotta do what a brother gotta do.  It's hot and humid in the dirty south, can't tuck your junk in your sock and wear shorts.  :/

Somehow dislocated my hip my senior year of high school. Doc didn't want to do hip replacement since I was young, so he recommended hip reconstruction. I'm usually good with pain, and I usually reject pain meds, but that first week out of surgery I was taking everything they would give me. Easily the worst physical pain I've dealt with in my life.

Archived