Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever had major surgery and if so what was it?

Springfield

Similar for me. Had a "suboccipital craniotomy" 4 weeks ago (what is it with Feb brain surgery).  

KAO MS is no joke either, and I hope that you are reading this in good health and high spirits.

Wow, it's always a trip when I run across someone who's experienced something similar. I'm very glad to see you're up and at em. Only advice I'd give you is to take it slow, I had trouble with that.  Mine was on my left side around the speech center and rehabbing my speech was an undertaking but you'd never know now.  And yeah, the anesthesia is about the worst thing.  Specially when your head is understandably not functioning at 100% anyway.  If I can ever be of assistance the offer is there.

The MS has been another issue but things are actually really good lately.  Just got back from a weekend fishing (and watching spring breakers from the balcony of my buddies condo) on the Sea of Cortez.  My spirits couldn't be higher. B)

Also, I had all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time. Not nearly as bad as everyone claims.

Everyone is different.  I know a girl who went out to the club the same night she had the surgery.  Some I know were miserable for almost two weeks.  It took me about 10 days before I felt pretty decent and closer to 3 weeks before I could comfortably eat hard, crunchy foods.  I got mine out at an older age, so it required more surgery to get them out due to the long roots, which were becoming fused into the jaw bone.  They were a **** to get out.

Mine was on my left side around the speech center and rehabbing my speech was an undertaking but you'd never know now. 

Lower right / vision lobe for me. I got very lucky that while the tumor was quite small, it was filling with fluid so I noticed the effects to my vision much sooner than just solid tumor tissue growth would have. Extra lucky that it was near the skull and not close to any danger areas, so it was about as straightforward as brain surgery gets.

It was kinda scary and cool at the same time to wake up in recovery and notice an immediate and noticeable gain. I hope you had the same experience, but in the end it sounds like you are back to full function regardless. Cheers to you!

I had a cochlear implant surgery two years ago.  This is one where they cut into your head (behind the ear).  The cutting into my head part didn't concern me as much as the anathesia (its theoritcally possible to have a life-threatening adverse reaction, although nowadays its like getting struck by lighting) .  Recovery wasn't that bad, surgery in early morning then out of the hospital in the afternoon ... I needed a bit of help to walk the first day, but in a few days was able to get around.   I didn't even really need the painkillers after about a day I was back to work part time in about a week, then full time in two weeks

• 1 month later...

Just had a pneumonectomy on May 5th, had my follow up today and I'm cancer free.  All 16 lymph nodes they pulled were negative and it turned out to be stage 1 once the final pathology was completed post surgery.

Hail!

i put a rather large glass object through my hand freshman year of college. severed a bunch of ligaments. had surgery. 12 weeks of physical therapy.

the surgery was fine. i've never had an issue with needles or any of that. i was knocked out anyways.

but physical therapy... after that surgery my muscles were bound together and the first few weeks of physical therapy were focused around breaking them lose and getting them going again. the way they did it was they super glued clips to my finger nails and to my brace around the inside of my wrist. they then ran rubber bands to connect the clips on my wrist to the clips on my finger nails. i had to extend my fingers against the tension from the rubber bands.

i was eating an ungodly amount of percocet (even for me back then, when we just ate those things for the hell of it..) and the pain I felt when doing physical therapy was enough to make me cry the first few weeks. it was awful. i've never felt a pain like it before. it felt like someone was slowly, but steadily, ripping my hand apart from the inside out (which... is kind of what was happening...) and it felt worse than that sounds.

i was on percocet for probably 6 weeks, then down to Vicodin for another 4-5 weeks. it probably took 10 weeks for the pain to really go away.

never regained full feeling, probably have somewhere around 80%. makes typing hard, i'm 100+wpm and used to have great accuracy, but now i have tons of mistakes. took me over a year before i could throw a football anything close to decent (and i played qb in my youth...). you know the hang loose hand jester? yeah i can't do that.

but otherwise i'm fine. i'm going to have terrible arthritis when i'm older, i can already tell. so i look forward to that...

During extraction of my wisdom teeth my jaw broke.  I guess I was in twilight, I was pretty well out, but I woke up and my jaw was wired shut.  It was kind of like a horror movie.  Didn't even get all the teeth out, the ones on the left are still in.  The dentist said that was supposed to be the easy side, too...

I've had surgery on my left knee to repair torn cartilage.  

And I apparently had hernia surgery when I was a baby.

I've had some random other stuff happen that was pretty traumatic, but not really major surgery so I'll leave that for another time I reckon.

Do three spinal surgeries and a dbl bypass count? :P

:

Had one laminectomy/dissectomy 4 years ago

Had two rounds of steroid injections and I'm in the middle of my third. By the way my back feels now, I'm sure I'll have a second operation soon :(

How's your back doing now?

First one, emergency C-section with the up and down incision.  Result, healthy daughter.

Second, tubal ligation when I was still doing the Great Heterosexual Experiment.

Third, appendectomy.  Drove myself to the hospital when I thought it was the appendix.  Operated on that evening.  Was put in a room with a roommate that had "a non-specific infection".  Panicked, asked when I could go home and was told when I my white blood cell count cleared me to go home.  Left at 3pm, and it wasn't soon enough for me.  While under, surgeon found a small hernia and repaired that for free.

While under, surgeon found a small hernia and repaired that for free.

Gotta love the freebies!

I'm in the "perimenopause" phase & want all this **** ripped out. I just have the biggest fear of anesthesia. If you've got any advice, I'd love it...thanks! (I'll take a PM unless you think the fellas need to hear it, too, which they probably should...hubby's learning for sure!)

No. Nothing. Never.

and I'm terrified about the inevitable day when it finally is going to happen

Same here until last November. Tore my right bicep tendon off the bone at work 2 days before my vacation started. Still was able to go cover the Indy game & the 9ers game. I was in the sidelines shooting in SF & kept trying to get Doc Andrews to notice all the pretty colors on the inside of my elbow. Hoping he'd offer to fix it. No such luck. Surgery was in December right at 3 weeks after the tear happened. Had to sleep that night sitting up because when I layed down it was damn near impossible to breathe. Wore a hard cast for about two weeks. Got out of the cast on Xmas eve. Still joke that it was the best thing my I got to open that Christmas. :D

Was originally told by the surgeon that he'd drill the bone once & attach an anchor on the back of the bone. After getting the cast off & the 36 staples out, the X-Rays showed no anchor. Instead he ended up drilling the bone 4 times & sutured it. Five-six months post surgery & the only issues I have with it right now are supination, the elbow joint is most likely inflamed, the forearm nerve is still irritated & feels like it's full of Novocain. Fun stuff. :)

• 5 months later...

not quite as bad as I feared, but I did get to find out what heart palpitations feel like.

Doc: you OK?

Me : I got a broomstick and someone shooting a needle gun up my ass and my heart is doing flip flops....I think it's love  :rolleyes:

Doc called, time to consult on cut,slash or burn apparently....or just say **** it.

Damn, sorry about that, twa.

You're gonna investigate your options thoroughly, and get the best care available, right? 

The tailgate needs your input, if for nothing else than comic relief.   :)

Snapped my lower leg in half, cleanly broke both the tib/fib. The injury didn't end up too bad because my knee and ankle are fine. I could still wiggle my toes even though my leg wasn't attached. 

The entire process of surgery for me was a cakewalk. The surgeon was able to get the rod down from my knee to my ankle and I didn't need any plates. Only had the hard cast for like a week because I didn't need much structural support. That cast might've been more painful and uncomfortable then my broken leg. 

The screws are a **** though. Def, getting those taken out someday. 

Only bad experience were with the nurses in the ER. They ****ing SUCKED. The Blackfish documentary had just came out and they were all watching it and talking about it, while I was sitting there with a floppy, unattached leg. The nurse missed my vein twice putting in the IV talking about ****ing killer whales. I've never cared less about killer whales in my life. 

The nurses upstairs were way more attractive and fast on the meds.  :)

Archived