Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever had major surgery and if so what was it?

Springfield

So, do I win? ;):D

I'll give you a run for your money.  It relates to how I got the name Buzz.

Brain surgery to remove the guys left blinker from my brain.  Followed by a small plate to cover the hole in my skull.  Also surgery on my neck to fuse my spine back together where it cracked in two places.  Years of physical and speech therapy.  Luckily I was young so my bones were able to actually heal, at least that's what I am told.  I don't remember much of it.  Just flashes.  Though to this day I still can't be inside a house on a corner lot. 

:rolleyes: My plate has started to click or, I assume, the rivets that keep it in place more specifically.  Doesn't hurt, I'm told it's not a problem but it bugs the ever loving **** outta me.  Every time I put on or adjust a ball cap (or when I'm washing my hair) I can hear and feel it like I got a pod of dolphins swimming around up there echolocating.  No shortage of echo I'm sure. 

Happy to hear things are any semblance of normal, twa.  Right on

I'm like Predicto, nothing major, and some of it self-inflicted.  I was born with only two wisdom teeth, the lowers, and was told by my dentist to get them out.  I didn't listen.  Was told again at 18.  Made the ortho appointment and never showed.

Over the next several years, I would occasionally get jaw pain but would wait it out and it would go away.  Finally gave in at 28, a full 10-11 years later, and got it done.  What an ordeal.  My regular dentist (where I lived at the time, not the same guy as above) thought he could handle it himself.  I got local anesthetic (was completely conscious through the whole thing) and he went to work.  The first tooth shattered, so he spent a bunch of time trying to get the pieces out before giving up. 

He calls the local ortho (I'm still in the chair, numbed up and bleeding) and sees if he can work me in.  They have an opening, so off I go.  Keep in mind, at this point, I have blood dribbling out of both sides of my mouth, and I'm completely numbed up so I can't form words or speak coherently, and I'm being told to drive across town.  I can only imagine how well that would have gone over if I had been pulled over by a cop on the way.

Also, I got the snip after child number two was born healthy.  I suppose that isn't major, but it felt major to me dammit.

There's probably other things I "should" have had taken care of.  I know I've broken several fingers/toes via sports of accidentally smacking/running into things, and have never bothered to get anything done about them over the years.  If I hold my hands out with my fingers spread normally, the pinky on my right hand veers off a bit.  I had one incident playing in an adult soccer league, some combination of a collision and a large stone on the field, which resulted in a large gash in one of my knees, which I tried to fix myself with a combination of Neosporin and bandages.  Three days later, my work of all places sent me to the doctor after my boss saw me limping around and was wondering why blood was seeping through my pants/sock.  The doctor was a bit put out that I hadn't come in for stitches immediately, but they left it alone since scar tissue was forming.  That scar will never go away.

I guess I'm a bit stubborn about this stuff, but as I said, in the context of what others have shared, I've got nothing major to complain about, and most of it was my fault anyway.

Archived