Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RotoWorld: Washington adds Bill Callahan as OL coach

StepyagameuP

Wasn't this board up in arms yesterday saying that only coaches from Allen's past are being looked at???

I guess this one is different because we all like the hire...

I think most people have examined the merits of the hires beyond the simple ties to the current FO, it's just that those guys have so little record to back up their hiring that the most logical explanation for them getting hired are their ties to Bruce and Jay, and so when we potentially have a bad hire everyone is playing six degrees of Bruce and Jay separation to try and explain the reasoning, which makes it look hypocritical when someone else has ties but is well liked.  It's less that it's hypocritical, and more that there are actually legitimate believable reasons for the hiring outside of close ties to the brass.

Like with Barry, he had a relatively poor track record outside of his time in Tampa.

Contrast with Callahan, however, who has a decent track record on his own.  It's not perfect, but it can stand on its own (8 teams don't chase a guy without him having something going for him).

I thought they hired him to be the LBs coach.

Good point - with all the misinformation being fed out there yesterday, how in the world could anyone know which direction is up?

I think he's probably been brought in to coach the LBs... at least I thought I read that somewhere.

We don't need a LB Coach we're really fine with Olivadotti and Baker.

Except if we promote either one of them to DC.

Or maybe Barry as DL Coach where we could use some upgrade.

And as VC alluded to earlier it's a bit worrisome that Jerry Jones didn't put up a fight whatsoever.

Callahan has a history if pissing off his employers. I'm surprised everyone is so excited about this

I'm not crapping on it, I'm willing to see what he can do, but all of this gushing is mysterious to me

The gushing is because many fans assumed that the O-Line was the weakest, saddest line of all time and the Cowboys is seen as the best in the league, so now we will be the best in the league.

I like the hire, maybe Jerry got frustrated because he thought for himself and didn't simply smile and nod when Jerry spoke?

Now we just need to get some big guys up front and give him something to work with in the terms that Scot and him plan on doing.

And as VC alluded to earlier it's a bit worrisome that Jerry Jones didn't put up a fight whatsoever.

Callahan has a history if pissing off his employers. I'm surprised everyone is so excited about this

I'm not crapping on it, I'm willing to see what he can do, but all of this gushing is mysterious to me

Pissing off Jerry Jones doesn't bother me.

Zoony,

First, please provide a link to how he pisses off his employees.  Secondly, he was given a 3 year deal, quite lucrative to the 2 year ONLY deal that Dallas was willing to give. 

Stating what I have made in my post don't blast away at me as we all have opinions and I respect yours as I am expressing mine.:)

hasn't been reported at all yet here on ES. you can believe it if you want to, that's fine. but until theres an "official press release" thread about it, i'm still holding out hope that we get Fangio :D

wishful thinking though.

jeez.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/386248-zoony-bin-the-official-15-offseason-twitter-thread-whine-room-now-open-serving-francis-copious-speculation-cab-lavar-buffet-incl-tips-included/?p=10108075 and

http://es.redskins.com/topic/386248-zoony-bin-the-official-15-offseason-twitter-thread-whine-room-now-open-serving-francis-copious-speculation-cab-lavar-buffet-incl-tips-included/?p=10108116

that's not that it's real, it goes toyour telling people it wasn't reported here---and how did you miss it since you've been posting all long in that very thread?

but given your just-made "darn it danny" post for which you almost got a time out for spam, and too many others that are the same type, i need you to go make rule 3 your best friend so you can stick around. because I really want you to. and you already have a couple rule violations.

you seem like a well-meaning guy and other members have been trying to help you just as I am now.

but you need to do your part.

not being mean, just want you to stick.

I don't know the exact details of his departure from the Cowboys, but couldn't the fact that 8 teams were going for him have driven his price up?  Potentially outside Jerry's price range?

It's possible Jerry saw the flood of other teams and just decided not to try and negotiate when he's going to have 7 other teams upping his bids.

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel like 8 teams pursuing > Jerry not pursuing, and that lowers my level of concern.

I agree with most of your post, but I think you are over-estimating when you say "most" people have examined much of anything before making quick judgements.

Let me rephrase that.

"Most people here."  And even then I'm setting the bar low, like 51%.  If you polled people why they didn't like Barry among the general fanbase, it's kinda tough to gauge.  But here, most people knew of his SD and DET ties and results, and that's seemingly the main thing people are concerned about (his exact role in DET notwithstanding).

But yeah, among the main fanbase, it's kinda a crapshoot.  I'm sure there are people attacking Callahan's hiring because he worked for our dreaded rivals, the Cowboys, while others are probably attacking him for having ties to this franchise.

That exact scenario happened with Wade on FB, some said we'd always lose to the Boys while he was here, while some others attacked the fact that he had attended games and his son was on staff.  Still most people I read took an even-handed approach to the examination of his credentials, and that type of examination was the main focus here.

jeez.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/386248-zoony-bin-the-official-15-offseason-twitter-thread-whine-room-now-open-serving-francis-copious-speculation-cab-lavar-buffet-incl-tips-included/?p=10108075 and

http://es.redskins.com/topic/386248-zoony-bin-the-official-15-offseason-twitter-thread-whine-room-now-open-serving-francis-copious-speculation-cab-lavar-buffet-incl-tips-included/?p=10108116

that's not that it's real, it goes toyour telling people it wasn't reported here---and how did you miss it since you've been posting all long in that very thread?

but given your just-made "darn it danny" post for which you almost got a time out for spam, and too many others that are the same type, i need you to go make rule 3 your best friend so you can stick around. because I really want you to. and you already have a couple rule violations.

you seem like a well-meaning guy and other members have been trying to help you just as I am now.

but you need to do your part.

not being mean, just want you to stick.

sorry. the "darn it danny" post was just a joke about not being able to track the private jet. didn't mean anything by it. i'll read rule 3 now. and what i meant by the hire hasnt been reported here is just there hasnt been an actual official press release thread.

Ah gotcha. Just checked Rule 3. I'll refrain from dong that.

sorry. the "darn it danny" post was just a joke about not being able to track the private jet. didn't mean anything by it. i'll read rule 3 now. and what i meant by the hire hasnt been reported here is just there hasnt been an actual official press release thread.

i knew all that.

see what i'm saying? 

everything you just typed was totally superfluous (look it up) and no apology was necessary, but thank you.

i know you mean well.

don't reply to this:)  ;)  :lol:

i like you.  :D

Oh man, this is quite a coup....First off, this weakens the Cowboys.  From reports he was VERY well paid by Dan to make this move.  If reports are to believed 8 teams were vying for him, and adding him with McCloughan means we could have quite the offensive line in a few years.  Dare we dream?  Dream that it turns out Barry was only being signed up for the LB coach job, and Fangio comes in as DC with Donatell becoming the DB coach??

I really like this move, we've needed to get away from Foeererererester for some time!

I couldn't be happier for our Redskins than than to see this hire. forrester never seem to get any  of the olineman  to progress or improve, but i have seen some regress under him. Callahan is just the opposite. So picture this, BIGGER olineman and a much better oline coach.big step. now brin g in gangio and schwarts for interviews and then it will be a perfect picture. HTTR

Are we sure Jerruh didn't put up a fight whatsoever?  I kind of got the impression that once it became clear how many teams were interested in him in one capacity or another, he just decided early on he wasn't going to break the bank for Callahan.

Would be more understandable if the real story is that his employer pissed off Callahan with the stripping of playcalling duties in favor of Linehan (sp?).  Maybe Callahan just didn't want to be around any more because of that, and that explains Jerruh not making a big play for him.  Because making that big play and then not keeping his man would make Jerruh look bad.

Zoony,

First, please provide a link to how he pisses off his employees.  Secondly, he was given a 3 year deal, quite lucrative to the 2 year ONLY deal that Dallas was willing to give. 

Stating what I have made in my post don't blast away at me as we all have opinions and I respect yours as I am expressing mine.:)

I'm not in the habit of doing research for folks because they ask for it. You could start with what happened in Oakland and go from there. Or not, doesn't much matter

While I beleive it to be upgrade at the coaching position, does this mean that the zone scheme is being scrapped for a straight ahead style? I don't think Callahan does zone blocking.

I hope so. It's a smoke and mirrors scheme, doesn't give you any benefits of running the ball. Opposing defenses don't get tired, you don't control the ball, and you can't grind out tough yards in the four minute offense or at the goal line.

Archived