Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RotoWorld: Washington adds Bill Callahan as OL coach

StepyagameuP

Arguably one of the best OL coaches in the game right now. And now we have him! Granted he's probably making more $$ than any other OL coach, but we all know Snyder has the dough. Kudos to the front office & Gruden for making this happen.

Now let's try to reel in Fangio, Schwartz or Quinn for DC.

Arguably one of the best OL coaches in the game right now. And now we have him! Granted he's probably making more $$ than any other OL coach, but we all know Snyder has the dough. Kudos to the front office & Gruden for making this happen.

Do people understand Quinn is about to be a HC?

I hope so. It's a smoke and mirrors scheme, doesn't give you any benefits of running the ball. Opposing defenses don't get tired, you don't control the ball, and you can't grind out tough yards in the four minute offense or at the goal line.

But doesn't it get yards and points? It looked pretty good when it was working here.

Gibbs had that grind running game and all it really amounted to was Portis getting pounded into dust each week. Meanwhile Alfred, someone Im sure nobody dislikes but we can probably admit isn't as physically talented as Portis, goes ahead and breaks Clintons season record in his 1st year. Granted Gibbs/Portis never had the defense-freezing threat of rookie RG3 but even with that, I became a believer of the ZBS.

But doesn't it get yards and points? It looked pretty good when it was working here.

Gibbs had that grind running game and all it really amounted to was Portis getting pounded into dust each week. Meanwhile Alfred, someone Im sure nobody dislikes but we can probably admit isn't as physically talented as Portis, goes ahead and breaks Clintons season record in his 1st year. Granted Gibbs/Portis never had the defense-freezing threat of rookie RG3 but even with that, I became a believer of the ZBS.

Id rather throw the ball to get yards and points and run the ball to punch my opponent in the mouth

But I'm old school. The zone scheme puts up big numbers but there's a reason why so few offenses in the NFL really buy in, and why it never helped us win anything. Houston had a few monster years but they were bounced from the playoffs just like we were.

Id rather throw the ball to get yards and points and run the ball to punch my opponent in the mouth

But I'm old school. The zone scheme puts up big numbers but there's a reason why so few offenses in the NFL really buy in, and why it never helped us win anything. Houston had a few monster years but they were bounced from the playoffs just like we were.

The ZBS has proven consistent when it works and if you can get yards and points without relying entirely on an elite QB, it makes things that much easier. I dont know why other teams haven't bought in but I suspect that like most things, it just isn't as easy to pull off as it sounds, which is why Shanahan is respected and regarded as a savant in that area.

As to never winning us anything, we were well on the way until RG3s leg crumbled so I cant put that down as some sort of inherent limitation of the scheme.

Regardless of schemes though, if this new guy can actually get the line to just block competently then I'll appreciate him.

This type of hire (with premium $'s) to help flush away any idea that Snyder or the FO is limiting Jay's ability (through $'s) to bring together a quality staff with the thought that he's probably going to fire Jay after the 2015 season (and perhaps his entire staff).

The team has lost to much recently to walk in with this mentality and virtually give up on next season before anything has happened. Instead we should want to see improvement across the board and we should be willing to pay for improvement especially on the coaching staff front. Hopefully hiring Callahan helps them understand they need to nail the DC hire and have a well experienced staff that Jay can depend on.

I also think the notion that the Redskins haven't been able to attract coaches is largely a fiction. I mean look at who we have attracted... they're almost all HOFers or people highly thought of. The only exception being Zorn.

we've interviewed the top DCs. Lots of them even. Now we hire a great OL coach, after getting a great GM. I think the fan made up "nobody wants to coach us " BS can end. We have an owner who publicly backed off and a pres who's respected. Now we add a top GM and Oline coach. Let it go.

Do people understand Quinn is about to be a HC?

Says who? A few teams are interested in interviewing him, but there are no guarantees. I'm just having wishful thinking that McCloughin can talk him into turning around the Redskins like they did the Seahawks. When it comes to $$ Snyder can outbid the Seahawks. Also if Gruden does a horrible job next season, Quinn would probably be 1st in line to replace him.

I know it's a very, very slim chance of getting Quinn...was just merely throwing his name out here. Good grief!

I know right? and ****, even if he doesn't get a HC gig... why the heck would he want to leave the Seahawk Defense for the freaking Redskins Defense??? I mean, unless he wants to Kirk Cousin his chances at a HC gig...

Well say people pass on him for a HC gig and just believe he had a lot of talent on his defense. Also let's just throw the notion out there that Snyder has the money to make Quinn the highest paid DC in the league. He may want to prove to everybody that he's an awesome DC by rebuilding one of the worst defenses in the league the past 5 years. By doing so could give him huge credentials to be a HC.

Make no mistake I know Fangio is probably the best we will be able to get. It would just be nice if we could get Quinn. Schwartz too (even though I can't stand him)

Just to shed a little light on the subject, it was probably Jones who pissed off Callahan.  Before the 2013 season, the Cowboys gave Callahan play calling duties.  I think that lasted about 10 games, then Garrett was calling the plays again.  When the 2013 season ended, Callahan asked the Cowboys for permission to interview for other OL/OC jobs.  The Cowboys denied this permission.  He could have interviewed for head coaching gigs, but I don' remember if he did or not.  The Cowboys brought in Linehan, made the play caller (and "passing game coordinator", whatever that is) and kept Callahan on officially as the running game coordinator and OC.  This year, his contract was actually over, the Cowboys had 3 days of exclusivity, when no one else could interview him, but I don't think there were any serious discussions about him staying with the Cowboys.

I have to tip my hat to Callahan for being a pro and doing his job well after his employer treated him that way.  Whatever you think of Callahan as a head coach or an offensive coordinator, by all accounts he's a heck of an OL coach.  And you know he'll be motivated to take on the Cowboys.

The ZBS has proven consistent when it works and if you can get yards and points without relying entirely on an elite QB, it makes things that much easier. I dont know why other teams haven't bought in but I suspect that like most things, it just isn't as easy to pull off as it sounds, which is why Shanahan is respected and regarded as a savant in that area.

As to never winning us anything, we were well on the way until RG3s leg crumbled so I cant put that down as some sort of inherent limitation of the scheme.

Regardless of schemes though, if this new guy can actually get the line to just block competently then I'll appreciate him.

There is nothing Shanny does that a college assistant couldn't pick up in one weekend of game film

The commitment to small fast olinemen presents a whole new set of challenges that nfl coaches are not interested in

The zbs is an ineffective tired scheme whose days are past. Some teams like Baltimore keep a few plays in their arsenal but do not make a commitment to it.

Because they are interested in winning.

Free has been solid except for a stretch after his contract extension in 2011.  And he's a FA this year - I'd be fine with Free at RT.  For a bit, he was one of the better LT's in the league after Flozell Adams left.

Trent / Long / Lichtensteiger / Leribeus / Free could be a solid starting line.  Or replace Leribeus with Scherff if we can snag him in the draft.

I want Upati playing on out O-line next season.

When it comes to $$ Snyder can outbid the Seahawks.

They're all billionaires.  Any motivated owner can outbid any other owner, if they're so inclined. 

But if they're both inclined, then no, Snyder cannot outbid Paul Allen.  His net worth DWARFS snyder.  It's not even close. 

Archived