Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RotoWorld: Washington adds Bill Callahan as OL coach

StepyagameuP

Redskins hired ex-Cowboys OC Bill Callahan as offensive line coach.

The Redskins' offseason of upgrading continues. Per ESPN's Ed Werder, Callahan's three-year deal is "very lucrative." Callahan was humiliatingly stripped of play-calling duties in Dallas last season, but retained his "offensive coordinator" title even though he was limited to offensive line duties. Either way, he's one of the league's very best at coaching up linemen. He's an excellent addition to coach Jay Gruden's staff.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/305973/washington-adds-bill-callahan-as-ol-coach

https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/555799216509829120

What I like is that in the very recent past he took a bunch of draft picks and coached them up into starters that formed a strong line that this year everyone was bragging about.  We haven't had any linemen really emerge (Williams and mayyyyyybbbbeee Compton being exceptions). Worse, we haven't had anyone able to take snaps away from starters whose play ranged from average to terrible.

That has to change.

It's not very hard to coach up Tyron Smith and Zach Martin, though.

Exactly.

He may be a good OL coach but the Cowboys also drafted three OL in the 1st round, and OL are usually the safest picks that high.

I don't expect Callahan to be able to turn bums like Luavao and Chester into studs.

It's not very hard to coach up Tyron Smith and Zach Martin, though.

If I remember correctly, Tyron Smith's scouting report coming into the draft basically said that he was insanely athletic with huge upside but his technique kind of sucked.  Gotta credit Callahan for turning that potential into something great.  Let's hope he can get similar production out of our guys!

Archived