Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RotoWorld: Washington adds Bill Callahan as OL coach

StepyagameuP

Don't celebrate to quick.  Coaches like to grab their old players if they can

This means Doug Free could be our RT next year

Free has been solid except for a stretch after his contract extension in 2011.  And he's a FA this year - I'd be fine with Free at RT.  For a bit, he was one of the better LT's in the league after Flozell Adams left.

Trent / Long / Lichtensteiger / Leribeus / Free could be a solid starting line.  Or replace Leribeus with Scherff if we can snag him in the draft.

I know they spent 1st rounders on those guys, but someone still has to coach them up.

People seem to forget that their center Frederick was projected by many draft analysts to be a mid-round pick.  Dallas was heavily criticized for reaching for him with a 1st rounder.  Yeah, Frederick is now a probowl player, but Dallas could've drafted another player in the 1st round, then grabbing for Frederick in the 2nd.

But...wait... Jay Gruden doesn't know what he's doing - he's a complete dolt!  Right?!?!?! It's the only thing I've been reading since December 30 on here.  How about some kudos for bringing in a guy that will definitely help this team.

I'll wait and see, depending who the D-coor hire is.

I'll wait and see, depending who the D-coor hire is.

My gut is telling me it's going to be Fangio.  You don't think he'd want to work with Scot McLoughan again, who found him several studs for his defense later in the draft while in SF?

IT'S OFFICIAL: #Redskins hire Bill Callahan as offensive line coach. #HTTR

B7a5epBCAAACkRo.png

Why does every Redskins staff picture look like they got caught saying something in the middle of taking it?

Glad it's official.  We've been moving in the right direction, but we've had a couple "It's happening," "No, it's not," "It's happening again!" "wait..." "Ok, now for reals!" moments the past couple weeks.

Get him in house and get him fixing that OLine immediately.

My gut is telling me it's going to be Fangio.  You don't think he'd want to work with Scot McLoughan again, who found him several studs for his defense later in the draft while in SF?

I don't think they technically ever worked together, but Fangio's stock has indeed been helped by the crew that came before him, including McCloughan, with Patrick Willis and Dashon Goldson being the two big draft names from pre-2010.

They hired Joe Barry already. It's a done deal. Still scratching my head

I also think the notion that the Redskins haven't been able to attract coaches is largely a fiction.  I mean look at who we have attracted... they're almost all HOFers or people highly thought of. The only exception being Zorn.

Ah but the difference is most of them, since Snyder bought the team, had already won big.  We haven't been able to get many coaches on the rise. 

They hired Joe Barry already. It's a done deal. Still scratching my head

I thought they hired him to be the LBs coach.

How do you know this for certain?

Good point - with all the misinformation being fed out there yesterday, how in the world could anyone know which direction is up?

I think he's probably been brought in to coach the LBs... at least I thought I read that somewhere.

pretty sure it's not a done deal at all, and fangio is still in the mix. but could be wrong. where exactly did you hear that its a done deal?

It was on the internet. A second verifying source was twitter. Although I've heard that not everything on the internet is true, I've never heard that about twitter. So there, bank on it. We've signed Barry, and I'm in line for a fortune from a Nigerian Prince.

Ah but the difference is most of them, since Snyder bought the team, had already won big.  We haven't been able to get many coaches on the rise. 

This is sadly true... or if they were on the rise they failed to make good on their promise (like Norv Turner)

It was on the internet. A second verifying source was twitter. Although I've heard that not everything on the internet is true, I've never heard that about twitter. So there, bank on it. We've signed Barry, and I'm in line for a fortune from a Nigerian Prince.

hasn't been reported at all yet here on ES. you can believe it if you want to, that's fine. but until theres an "official press release" thread about it, i'm still holding out hope that we get Fangio :D

wishful thinking though.

Wasn't this board up in arms yesterday saying that only coaches from Allen's past are being looked at???

I guess this one is different because we all like the hire...

Fact is, I would guess most assistant coaches are people the HC is familiar with.  We often overreact when we hear a name we don't agree with, but more needs to be a part of the total equation than former success/stats, etc.  The HC and all his assistants should probably get along and be on the same page in their overall philosophies.

I think it is fair to argue hiring someone unqualified for a position, but to argue that one hires only those he is comfortable with obviously can go both ways.  Just an observation.

Overall, I am very happy with this hire. I think it will help us get back to a power running scheme, and Callahan is a very effective OL coach.  On the defensive side, I feel like Berry was the "we will settle for him" hire and not the "we need to get him" hire. I hope Fangio is next name to be added to our coaching staff.

How much of the Dallas OL performance was due to the high draft picks as much as Callahan? Prior to this year he had two 8-8 seasons.

Of course, 8-8 looks like Nirvana for the Redskins at the moment.

And as VC alluded to earlier it's a bit worrisome that Jerry Jones didn't put up a fight whatsoever.

Callahan has a history if pissing off his employers. I'm surprised everyone is so excited about this

I'm not crapping on it, I'm willing to see what he can do, but all of this gushing is mysterious to me

Archived