Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Post Draft- Your expectations for 2024

We seem to have decent coaches. We have a legit GM.   We seem to have added some solid players in the draft and FA.  The great unknown is how well they jell together as a team and how well JD plays if he starts.  If he plays well, like C.J. Stroud did in Texas as a rookie, I think we could win 8 games.  But I am 100% confident that the product they put on the field will be competitive and our embarrassing days are behind us. I am patient. I just want effort and competitiveness. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

But I am 100% confident that the product they put on the field will be competitive and our embarrassing days are behind us. I am patient. I just want effort and competitiveness. 

Hear, hear!

The sh** storm of the last 30 years isn’t going to be reversed overnight but the team is finally moving in the right direction and patience is key here. 

PS: the Debbie Downers need a f*ckin slap upside the head! We’ve come so far in such a short time and we can see the light. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Mariota plays 3-14.

Otherwise I think we beat the over.

Why the lack of faith in Mariota? Perhaps you've forgotten, Wylie will be his rock in protection...

Turnstile Gates for Enhanced Security ...

Edited by DWinzit
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Why the lack of faith in Mariota? Perhaps you've forgotten, Wylie will be his rock in protection...

Turnstile Gates for Enhanced Security ...

With Wiley there Mariota may just walk out. Oh wait…

• Haha 1

Expectations with this team is always low.  The fact that we have new ownership and coaching is the only thing that gives me hope, but I realize it will take time.

I think 7 wins is the ceiling.  My guess is 5-12.

• Thumb up 1

17-0 until proven otherwise.

Realtalk, I feel like anywhere between 7-10 and 10-7 is very possible.  Pretty much a perfect bell curve.

Like sure, this is an incomplete team, BUT, overall, there's some thing to be optimistic about.  I think our coaching will be much improved, especially on defense, and that should hopefully elevate that side of the ball from...bad...to at least good.  Unit to unit, DT rotation should be good.  Edge rushers are not gonna be elite but should be serviceable.  Linebackers have the potential to surprise us, I am never gonna bet against Bobby Wagner's unit.  Secondary is the iffiest but if there was ever a guy who could turn around that unit it's probably Quinn.

Offensively, the biggest hole, aside from the ?? that is QB, is tackles.  But I like our interior OL for the most part, and I like our skill position guys.  Are they elite (outside of maybe Terry)?  No.

But like, a lot of our units are now likely "good" even if they aren't great.  So we should be able to score some decent point totals, and if the secondary can hold up (or the DLine can bully opposing Olines) then I feel like we can win some games in a decent fashion.

7 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Realtalk, I feel like anywhere between 7-10 and 10-7 is very possible.  Pretty much a perfect bell curve.

Like sure, this is an incomplete team, BUT, overall, there's some thing to be optimistic about.  I think our coaching will be much improved, especially on defense, and that should hopefully elevate that side of the ball from...bad...to at least good.  Unit to unit, DT rotation should be good.  Edge rushers are not gonna be elite but should be serviceable.  Linebackers have the potential to surprise us, I am never gonna bet against Bobby Wagner's unit.  Secondary is the iffiest but if there was ever a guy who could turn around that unit it's probably Quinn.

Offensively, the biggest hole, aside from the ?? that is QB, is tackles.  But I like our interior OL for the most part, and I like our skill position guys.  Are they elite (outside of maybe Terry)?  No.

But like, a lot of our units are now likely "good" even if they aren't great.  So we should be able to score some decent point totals, and if the secondary can hold up (or the DLine can bully opposing Olines) then I feel like we can win some games in a decent fashion.

Yeah, I’m pretty much with you here, though I’d lean towards 6-8 wins as most likely.  This team is going through a sea change though, so I can’t say I’d be shocked by 4 or 5 wins, or by 9 or 10 wins.

Personnel-wise, barring injury, I think the notable (potential/likely) negative changes are Leno to Lucas/Coleman, Curl to Chinn, and Fuller to Forbes (or whoever).

I think the FO has improved the DEs, the DT rotation, RB, IOL, probably TEs, and greatly improved our linebacker group.  QB is the big question mark.

Depth is mostly better across the board.

I believe the top level changes will have the greatest impact - better position coaches, having a clear philosophy, greater maturity/leadership, culture turnaround (yes, I went there, lol).

Not sure about whether our schemes will be improved, but I’m confident we’ll run an offense that is more balanced, caters to personnel better, and overall takes pressure off our young qb.  Defensively, I think we’ll see a lot of improvement in communication and in terms of everyone knowing their role.

Ceiling: 7-10 or 8-9, but I think 8-9 is based on that RGIII '12, CJ Stroud '23 kinda thing, where all logic goes out the window due to QB madness. 

Expectation: 5-6 wins, and a top 10ish pick with top 5 upside

Floor: 4-13 Daniels early injury means 4 wins or less, probably, Daniels "bust" level bad means the same. 

As previously mentioned, I am hopeful the team takes its time building out over the next two seasons and is aiming for a playoff season in 2026, rather than .500 in '24 and playoffs in '25, I think the team will be much better if its full turn around happens around year 3 for Daniels, as the build simply isn't remotely there yet (no depth, and tons of position groups aren't only thin, but also lacking in high end talent). 

So for me, lets get another free agent and draft haul in '25 before we start considering when we can win 9-11 games (hopefully in '26). I'm patient, I don't want quick fixes/short cuts. 

15 hours ago, FuriousD said:

Hear, hear!

The sh** storm of the last 30 years isn’t going to be reversed overnight but the team is finally moving in the right direction and patience is key here. 

PS: the Debbie Downers need a f*ckin slap upside the head! We’ve come so far in such a short time and we can see the light. 

Not DD, we're just realists.

It's a brutal league and we still have some huge needs at key positions (OL for starters). And we'll be starting a rookie QB.

Hope springs eternal I guess...

2 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

I too am optimistic and would bet the over on 6 1/2 wins. But I don't agree with you on the weapons. Terry is very good, he also had a lot of drops last year and is at the low end of the WR1 group throughout the league IMO.  On the other side is a receiver who in year 3 is still an unknown and had really bad moments last season.  Other than they they have an unproven rookie and a bunch of JAGs.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We have seen drastic turn arounds multiple times recently simply by getting rid of bad coaches. I think with dq and staff om defense we will have a top 10 defense. Jayden daneils is pro ready. We go 9 8

Edited by 757SeanTaylor21
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I too am optimistic and would bet the over on 6 1/2 wins. But I don't agree with you on the weapons. Terry is very good, he also had a lot of drops last year and is at the low end of the WR1 group throughout the league IMO.  On the other side is a receiver who in year 3 is still an unknown and had really bad moments last season.  Other than they they have an unproven rookie and a bunch of JAGs.  

Agree. We’re missing another go to WR in my opinion.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Mariota plays 3-14.

Otherwise I think we beat the over.

The three wins is optimistic. Imo Mariota was a bad pick whether we kept Howell or not. The QB room is shaky other than (hopefully) our shiny toy.

If Mariota plays I'll be asking for a refund from the JD Fanboy Association cuz it means Mr. Already A Pro isn't, or his beanpole frame took one of his signature big time hits and broke.🫣

(Just kidding, tone-wise re: JD 😁, but seeing Mariota play would mean bad things and I don't like our back up roster)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree. We’re missing another go to WR in my opinion.

I really though this was the draft they would find that guy, but with that said we all know they can't fill every need and I'm happy with the picks. 

• Like 1

If Daniels is truly ready to start like so many have been saying then this team could win 9-10 games.

I don't expect that though. More like 6-7 with an upside of maybe 10 if things go right and some go wrong for the opponents throughout the season.

Anything less than 6 and they probably screwed up considering all of those FA signings and several high end draft picks.

If Daniels can't protect himself and gets hurt early and Mariota has to start most of the season then they're in for a few "I told ya so's".

6-11 or 7-10 with many of those wins in the latter part of the season, I think Daniels should start from the beginning because he’s so much better then Mariota but I don’t think he does till around the 4th-5th week of the season.

I think once he gets his feet under him the offense will thrive and I could easily see us running off several wins at the end of the season  (despite not knowing till next week sometime when the schedule is released) but despite the record being a losing record I this this team is/will be in every game as I think this defense will be intense and hold a lot of teams under wraps ….. 

• Like 1