Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft: Undrafted Free Agent Tracker

RWJ

5 hours ago, FrFan said:

Commanders Outbid ‘Half the League’ for Undrafted Free Agent

Adam Peters wasn’t about to let one of the most sought-after undrafted free agents, cornerback Chigozie Anusiem, get away from the Washington Commanders. So general manager Peters essentially outbid “half the league” to sign the former Colorado State star shortly after the 2024 NFL draft.

The Commanders handed Anusiem “a whopping $50,000 signing bonus and a $300K base salary guarantee, per source. Half the league wanted Anusiem after he went undrafted, and Washington paid up to lock him in,” according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

It’s little wonder Anusiem sounded overjoyed when he posted on X, “Commanders let’s rock!!!,” shortly after joining the team.

Anusiem wasn’t the only member of the Commanders’ rookie free-agent class who received a hefty contract. He was a prospect who visited with several teams as a potential Day 3 pick during the pre-draft process, including one of Washington’s NFC East rivals.

Commanders Paid Heavy Price for Chigozie Anusiem

Peters certainly made sure he got his man when he signed Anusiem to a bloated deal. The hefty terms offered are a sign of three things.

First, the player’s talent. Anusiem logged 3.5 tackles for loss, broke up 11 passes and snatched an interception during two years at Colorado State. He’d transferred from Cal. in 2022 and quickly became a regular starter for the Rams.

His greater playing time revealed a “big, athletic type” with “good IQ,” according to Taylor Kyles of Patriots on CLNS.

Kyles also had Anusiem rated as a “late Day 3 prospect.” He didn’t get drafted there, but instead cashed in because Peters and Commanders’ head coach Dan Quinn are both believers in Anusiem’s ability to transition to the pros.

Perhaps the Commanders’ primary decision-makers also feared seeing Anusiem showcase his talents for a rival. The player was “a surprise 30 visit for” the New York Giants, per NorthJersey.com’s Art Stapleton.

Like Kyles, Stapleton also envisaged Anusiem hearing his named called on Day 3. What’s more interesting is how both Stapleton and Kyles referenced an interview between Anusiem and The Draft Network’s Justin Melo.

While Melo noted Anusiem spoke with the New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals, he also provided an intriguing assessment of the defensive back’s playing style. Specifically, Melo credited Anusiem with “Press-man CB size.”

Quinn’s defense often relies on physical, press-style man coverage, dating back to his days as coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks’ famed ‘Legion of Boom’ unit. Anusiem fits the profile for Quinn’s schemes at a position where the Commanders still need help.

Away from cornerback, the Commanders also paid up to add talent at another key position.

Holy ****, to convince this kid to come here after he had a top-30 visit with NYG is impressive. He’s got a good chance to make the roster as an outside corner 

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

How does a 6-1 200 corner who runs a 3.3 and has decent to food film manage to go undrafted? 

I'm intrigued and encouraged by all 4 of the corners/safties Peters signed as UDFA's. I'll bet at least 3 of them land on the roster or PS. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bifflog said:

He was originally a QB and went to Washington as a QB. Then transferred to UCLA after a year. He was a RB, WR and kick returner for UCLA. He’s a good special teams player not sure he makes the roster maybe a practice squad guy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Yng Lady88 said:

Great interview with the WR from Georgia, Rosemy-JackSaint. Some quotes thats stuck out to me, especially the first. He mentioned the same things i noticed when i watched his clip posted a few pages back.

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint Draft Networking Interview: 'I Can Play Just About Anywhere'

JM: You have outstanding size for the position. You’re 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds with 33-inch arms and 10-inch hands. How do you use size to your advantage?

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint: That’s the thing. I’ve never been a super-fast guy with 4.2 speed. That’s just not my game. I’ve always relied on technique more than anything. Using my size to box out my opponents at the catch point has always been a big part of my game.

I use my long arms to highpoint the football. Most defensive backs can’t match my size or my length. I can beat a defensive back at the catch point. Having strong hands helps. I love utilizing size to my advantage.

JM: We love the way you use your size on tape. Does Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint have a favorite route to run?

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint: The whole route tree, man (laughs). I just love running routes in general. I’ve never felt like I had one specific route that I liked running more than others. I love the entire route tree.

JM: Can you see yourself playing that “Big Slot” position at the next level?

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint: Oh yeah, definitely. I feel like I can play inside and outside. I can play slot receiver, or I can play as a boundary receiver. It doesn’t matter where you line me up at. I’m going to make plays and get the job done regardless.

Marcus is a baller, fun watch.  Emphasized him some on the draft thread.  When he ran the 4.8 turned me off a little but watching him again some he looks faster than that as to game speed

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Marcus is a baller, fun watch.  Emphasized him some on the draft thread.  When he ran the 4.8 turned me off a little but watching him again some he looks faster than that as to game speed

I agree that his game speed looked faster than what's been clocked. Long legs make strides look like he's hauling. I'll have an eye and ear out for him in camp.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Holy ****, to convince this kid to come here after he had a top-30 visit with NYG is impressive. He’s got a good chance to make the roster as an outside corner 

Thats almost certainly what convinced him to come here - not just the signing and guaranteed money. He's got a really strong shot at a roster spot.

OT and CB are the two spots with the biggest question marks in terms of both starters and depth.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Thats almost certainly what convinced him to come here - not just the signing and guaranteed money. He's got a really strong shot at a roster spot.

OT and CB are the two spots with the biggest question marks in terms of both starters and depth.

I think it is this guy vs Holmes for a roster spot

1 hour ago, ntotoro said:

Yankoff... now there's a guy who needs to make the team just for that jersey!!!

Edit: I was beaten… to the punch.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

Given our signings at CB does Emmanuel Ford need to be somewhat concerned? 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I haven’t written off Forbes yet. I actually think he’s got major potential still, but he does need to be worried from the standpoint that he’s not this regimes pick and needs to step it up quick to impress.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

I haven’t written off Forbes yet. I actually think he’s got major potential still, but he does need to be worried from the standpoint that he’s not this regimes pick and needs to step it up quick to impress.

Not only is he not the regime’s pick, but he doesn’t seem to fit the type of “run and hit” violent player we want. I hope we can find a role for him due to his ball skills, but it’s not going to be easy for him. He needs to make an impact quickly.

• Like 4

Just now, seantaylor=god said:

Not only is he not the regime’s pick, but he doesn’t seem to fit the type of “run and hit” violent player we want. I hope we can find a role for him due to his ball skills, but it’s not going to be easy for him. He needs to make an impact quickly.

Yep. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is moved before the season. If you have a sense that he is not going to fit, it may be better to cut your losses now and get a 4th or a 5th vs nothing down the road. He is only going to continue to depreciate if his poor play on tape continues. He is going to have his fans around the league who will attribute his struggles more to the coaching at this point

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think he will get every opportunity to prove himself. But the current GM and HC are not tied to him in anyway, if he doesn’t perform it’s a short trip from the bench to the street.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think he will get every opportunity to prove himself. But the current GM and HC are not tied to him in anyway, if he doesn’t perform it’s a short trip from the bench to the street.

I agree, and I think Forbes slight build is gonna be a liability for him compared to the guys Peters has brought in and I don't think Forbes brings anything else to the table as far as versatility. He's pretty much a lockdown corner who can't lockdown.....unless he makes huge strides over this offseason. This is a developing situation!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Conn said:

Hartman to MRJ completions against future car salesmen in the 4th quarter of preseason games are gonna have hearts fluttering here 

Speaking of which, Hartman has been hit with a lawsuit from a pregnant woman who said she saw him walking into the restaurant where she was eating with her fiance and he smiled at her and she immediately felt lightheaded and turned flush and her water spontaneously broke, as a result.

She gave emergency birth to the baby right there in the restaurant-- ably assisted by Hartman, btw. The child was a month premature and thankfully it's apparently doing fine now.

However, her attorney, Gloria Alred, is suing Hartman.  The court filing claims that he should have known how dangerous it is for "a man of his obvious charms and masculinity" to smile at a woman, while she's "in the family way."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Conn said:

Holy ****, to convince this kid to come here after he had a top-30 visit with NYG is impressive

Queue Montell Jordan singing, "This Is How We Do It"...

Screenshot_20240429_213856_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e554ab43152d56e569cf3cecf1aab65a.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Holy ****, to convince this kid to come here after he had a top-30 visit with NYG is impressive

Queue Montell Jordan singing, "This Is How We Do It"...

I'm queueing right now :)

giphy.gif