Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft: Undrafted Free Agent Tracker

RWJ

On 4/28/2024 at 10:18 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Watched a quick game for Anusiem and one from Owens.

Super impressed on a quck glance from Anusiem.  Height-length with sub 4.4 speed and he plays with oomph.  Looked strong against the run.  Feisty in coverage.

Owens on the other hand, meh, looked uncontrolled and at times uninterested in getting in the mix.  Though he looks the part big time -- long and fast. 

How does a 6-1 200 corner who runs a 3.3 and has decent to good film manage to go undrafted? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We’re going to have a lot of rookies on the roster this year.

When you take over a team  that's got a lot of talented players with losing attitudes you work on the attitudes and try to rebuild the players.

When you take over a team with players with poor talent  and great attitudes you try to see if you can find a place for some of them until you can replace them with more talented players.

But when you take over a team filled with poor talent AND a losers mentality-- you clean house and bring in as many new players as you can from any and all available sources.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

But when you take over a team filled with poor talent AND a losers mentality-- you clean house and bring in as many new players as you can from any and all available sources.

65441c3b17fd82.52773429.jpeg?resize=1080

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

So far signed:

• Notre Dame QB Sam Hartman
  • USC RB Austin Jones
  • Georgia WR Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint
  • Arizona RB Michael Wiley
  • UCLA TE Colson Yankoff
  • Toledo T David Nwaogwugwu
  • Virginia IDL Norell Pollard
  • Colorado State CB Chigozie Anusiem
  • Pittsburgh CB Al Woods
  • Texas Tech S Tyler Owens
  • Iowa State S Ben Nikkel 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Speed isnt his game though. He is a possession receiver. Have to have them as well. His hands are ****ing play doh. And his routes are solid too. I will be shocked if he doesnt make the practice squad at least. 

I know I wrote a longish post about him on the draft thread months back and then took him on the board's mock draft.  4.8 though is a turnvoff for ANY WR.  that's even a little slow for an F TE let alone Wr.   But as I said I dig it as a UDFA. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

How does a 6-1 200 corner who runs a 3.3 and has decent to food film manage to go undrafted? 

Don't know.  When I watched Owens for example he struck me as easily an UDFA, toolsy guy but played poorly in the game I watched.

As for Anusiem I just watched one game, maybe I watched his best one?  Brugler had him as a late round CB and expected him to be drafted. 

I liked last year two dudes who went undrafted who ended up good -- Keaton Mitchell and Ivan Pace.  In those cases, I watched both players a lot before the draft.  Keaton with sub 4.4 speed, big production yet teams passed over him.  Pace IMO had the best film and production of that LB class yet passed over.

I never watched this guy until yesterday but he looked good to my eyes, feisty, plenty sticky enough in coverage, good against the run.

Sometimes players slip through the cracks, will see.  Peters said some of their UDFA targets are guys they considered in the late rounds. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know.  When I watched Owens for example he struck me as easily an UDFA, toolsy guy but played poorly in the game I watched.

As for Anusiem I just watched one game, maybe I watched his best one?  Brugler had him as a late round CB and expected him to be drafted. 

I liked last year two dudes who went undrafted who ended up good -- Keaton Mitchell and Ivan Pace.  In those cases, I watched both players a lot before the draft.  Keaton with sub 4.4 speed, big production yet teams passed over him.  Pace IMO had the best film and production of that LB class yet passed over.

I never watched this guy until yesterday but he looked good to my eyes, feisty, plenty sticky enough in coverage, good against the run.

Sometimes players slip through the cracks will see.  Peters said some of their UDFA targets are guys they considered in the late rounds. 

He reminds me of Yiadom who we lost last minute to 49ers. I am expecting he was probably our first call saying to give us last decision. We have Joe Whit Jr who is known for developing corners. We have roster spot to fit him as well.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Still waiting to see who signs OT Julian Pearl. I'm guessing he's weighing offers or he's just done with football.

What have you heard that would suggest Pearl could be done with football? Was he questionable going into the draft?

3 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

He reminds me of Yiadom who we lost last minute to 49ers. I am expecting he was probably our first call saying to give us last decision. We have Joe Whit Jr who is known for developing corners. We have roster spot to fit him as well.

Yeah i didn't expect to be jazzed watching an UDFA especially after reading about his tools.  Toolsy UDFAs usually are meh as players ala Owens who we took too.  Maybe I was just watching the right game but I was impressed and then seeing half the league was after signing this guy, it made more sense.

17 minutes ago, mudhog said:

What have you heard that would suggest Pearl could be done with football? Was he questionable going into the draft?

I haven't heard anything. I just think it's strange he hasn't signed yet, so I was speculating. 

Commanders Outbid ‘Half the League’ for Undrafted Free Agent

Adam Peters wasn’t about to let one of the most sought-after undrafted free agents, cornerback Chigozie Anusiem, get away from the Washington Commanders. So general manager Peters essentially outbid “half the league” to sign the former Colorado State star shortly after the 2024 NFL draft.

The Commanders handed Anusiem “a whopping $50,000 signing bonus and a $300K base salary guarantee, per source. Half the league wanted Anusiem after he went undrafted, and Washington paid up to lock him in,” according to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero.

It’s little wonder Anusiem sounded overjoyed when he posted on X, “Commanders let’s rock!!!,” shortly after joining the team.

Anusiem wasn’t the only member of the Commanders’ rookie free-agent class who received a hefty contract. He was a prospect who visited with several teams as a potential Day 3 pick during the pre-draft process, including one of Washington’s NFC East rivals.

Commanders Paid Heavy Price for Chigozie Anusiem

Peters certainly made sure he got his man when he signed Anusiem to a bloated deal. The hefty terms offered are a sign of three things.

First, the player’s talent. Anusiem logged 3.5 tackles for loss, broke up 11 passes and snatched an interception during two years at Colorado State. He’d transferred from Cal. in 2022 and quickly became a regular starter for the Rams.

His greater playing time revealed a “big, athletic type” with “good IQ,” according to Taylor Kyles of Patriots on CLNS.

Kyles also had Anusiem rated as a “late Day 3 prospect.” He didn’t get drafted there, but instead cashed in because Peters and Commanders’ head coach Dan Quinn are both believers in Anusiem’s ability to transition to the pros.

Perhaps the Commanders’ primary decision-makers also feared seeing Anusiem showcase his talents for a rival. The player was “a surprise 30 visit for” the New York Giants, per NorthJersey.com’s Art Stapleton.

Like Kyles, Stapleton also envisaged Anusiem hearing his named called on Day 3. What’s more interesting is how both Stapleton and Kyles referenced an interview between Anusiem and The Draft Network’s Justin Melo.

While Melo noted Anusiem spoke with the New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals, he also provided an intriguing assessment of the defensive back’s playing style. Specifically, Melo credited Anusiem with “Press-man CB size.”

Quinn’s defense often relies on physical, press-style man coverage, dating back to his days as coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks’ famed ‘Legion of Boom’ unit. Anusiem fits the profile for Quinn’s schemes at a position where the Commanders still need help.

Away from cornerback, the Commanders also paid up to add talent at another key position.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

When you take over a team  that's got a lot of talented players with losing attitudes you work on the attitudes and try to rebuild the players.

When you take over a team with players with poor talent  and great attitudes you try to see if you can find a place for some of them until you can replace them with more talented players.

The purging isn’t over. Some of the holdovers won’t make it past training camp and some will fail to perform this season and get cut next offseason.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

How does a 6-1 200 corner who runs a 3.3 and has decent to food film manage to go undrafted? 

Character concerns, likely a puppy kicker, doesn’t hold doors for old ladies, that sort of thing.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:26 PM, Sknsnation said:

ttZPOXZi_normal.jpg

Former Notre Dame QB Sam Hartman is signing with the #Commanders, per source.
The Washington Commanders are signing QB Sam Hartman                                            

And now has instantly become the best looking guy on the team.  IMG_6896.thumb.jpeg.bfdbb7b74140467489262a937d9e6621.jpeg

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

We’re going to have a lot of rookies on the roster this year.

Probably 8-10ish.  

Add 22 FA signings (although I don't expect all to make the final 53).

There is a solid chance 27+ spots change this offseason, meaning more than 50% of the active roster.  I knew roster turnover was coming, but 50+ % in one year is higher than I expected.  Between FO, coaching staff and guys in the locker room, I can understand why a few players have said it feels like they've been traded.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

Character concerns, likely a puppy kicker, doesn’t hold doors for old ladies, that sort of thing.

And now has instantly become the best looking guy on the team.  IMG_6896.thumb.jpeg.bfdbb7b74140467489262a937d9e6621.jpeg

Chris Carter fangirl-ing over him was hilarious.

• Haha 3

Great interview with the WR from Georgia, Rosemy-JackSaint. Some quotes thats stuck out to me, especially the first. He mentioned the same things i noticed when i watched his clip posted a few pages back.

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint Draft Networking Interview: 'I Can Play Just About Anywhere'

JM: You have outstanding size for the position. You’re 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds with 33-inch arms and 10-inch hands. How do you use size to your advantage?

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint: That’s the thing. I’ve never been a super-fast guy with 4.2 speed. That’s just not my game. I’ve always relied on technique more than anything. Using my size to box out my opponents at the catch point has always been a big part of my game.

I use my long arms to highpoint the football. Most defensive backs can’t match my size or my length. I can beat a defensive back at the catch point. Having strong hands helps. I love utilizing size to my advantage.

JM: We love the way you use your size on tape. Does Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint have a favorite route to run?

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint: The whole route tree, man (laughs). I just love running routes in general. I’ve never felt like I had one specific route that I liked running more than others. I love the entire route tree.

JM: Can you see yourself playing that “Big Slot” position at the next level?

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint: Oh yeah, definitely. I feel like I can play inside and outside. I can play slot receiver, or I can play as a boundary receiver. It doesn’t matter where you line me up at. I’m going to make plays and get the job done regardless.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2