Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Well our orignal plan was Darnold so....

Darnold was nobody's plan.

The Vikings got to closing time, and he was the last girl in the bar...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sinews said:

Someone mentioned it earlier but JD is aloof and difficult to get a read on but I take it as an encouraging sign that the most animated I've seen him so far is on the field after the Florida game with his former teammate/friend Ricky Pearsall.

Small moment in this clip but I thought it was cool to see a side of him that I hadn't yet. It's going to be great once he gets on this level with the people in our building:

That was great to see how animated he was. Makes me wish even more that Pearsall fell to the Commanders. Instead he will be teaming with their other buddy Aiyuk. Or maybe his replacement? 🤔

• Like 2

Hey guys, been dealing with some health issues and didn't want anyone to think my absence had anything to do with me sulking about this pick.  :ols: 

Everyone (and their mother, father, priest, dog, cat, and fourth cousin twice removed) knew I preferred Drake Maye. That being said I'm 100% here now to root for JD. I still have concerns but this is one of those times I hope I'm completely wrong and he makes a fool of me. He's certainly talented and has elite potential if he can stay healthy.

Welcome, JD.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

On 4/26/2024 at 12:53 PM, Berggy9598 said:

There are dozens if not more highlight reels and full game cut-ups available to the viewing public now a day. It's very hard to watch those and still conclude he's not a good pocket passer, unless someone has already made up their mind and would rather die on that hill. 

I think it's reasonable to watch the film and compare it to the metrics and conclude that there may be legitimate concerns about his ability as a pocket passer in the NFL. There was a post on a blog where a guy did a very thorough metrics comparison and concluded that Daniels seemed to be far closer to Justin Fields and Marcus Mariota as a passer than Lamar Jackson.

Again, I fully support him now, and now that he's a Commander I certainly hope he bucks those trends and doesn't remain in that company and reaches elite potential. But acting indignant that anyone would question his ability as a pocket passer in the NFL is a bit silly.

https://www.dabearsblog.com/2024/jayden-daniels-looks-hauntingly-familiar

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Keim put up a chonky new article on ESPN. Its a long read but it is packed w/ info we did not know b4. I recomend reading it if you got the time. On top of recounting events there are also things in there that will give you the warm fuzzies we all so desperately seek.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40057487/why-commanders-drafted-jayden-daniels-no-2-overall

In terms of stuff that stood out to me:

-At the scouting combine Peters told a small group of higher ups that it would take "a lot" for it not to be JD. This group included Quinn and Kliff. Looks like the guys that are putting together out O have had a pretty good inkling for quite some time.

-Peters solidified the selection w/ the org in the draft war room b4 they made the pick. Really kept it close to the vest and till the last minute outside of a select few.

-Peters said he never considered trading back, only got one offer.

-After the top 30 visit, JD was telling people he was "Quinn's Guy". Good early indication that Coach n GM are on the same page. Always good.

-JD's demeanor completely changes when he gets to talk about football. Gets excited and locked in.

-They really liked the work ethic stuff. Dragging teamates to 5 am workouts, making LSU change their rules to give him more access

-Peters liked JDs use of VR. Another massive sign that it will continue.

-They love his processing ability and the environment he worked in going against the SEC

-During the private plane ride home after his presser JD spent an hour pretending to go thru plays from our playbook. Real Russell WIlson lunging in the aisle vibes lol.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

-During the private plane ride home after his presser JD spent an hour pretending to go thru plays from our playbook. Real Russell WIlson lunging in the aisle vibes lol.

Keim mentioned this on his podcast too.

I mentioned John Beck in an interview on 106.7, mentioned the day after the draft Jayden asked him to get together so they can work

The work ethic stuff feels real

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

-After the top 30 visit, JD was telling people he was "Quinn's Guy". Good early indication that Coach n GM are on the same page. Always good.

I noticed a few times before the draft that JD addressed Quinn as DQ.  Seems like they have already established a good relationship which is good.

• Like 2

Just now, jg77 said:

I noticed a few times before the draft that JD addressed Quinn as DQ.  Seems like they have already established a good relationship which is good.

Either that or he's hungry. He is kinda skinny...

Those DQ chicken strip baskets are legit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Keim put up a chonky new article on ESPN. Its a long read but it is packed w/ info we did not know b4. I recomend reading it if you got the time. On top of recounting events there are also things in there that will give you the warm fuzzies we all so desperately seek.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40057487/why-commanders-drafted-jayden-daniels-no-2-overall

In terms of stuff that stood out to me:

-At the scouting combine Peters told a small group of higher ups that it would take "a lot" for it not to be JD. This group included Quinn and Kliff. Looks like the guys that are putting together out O have had a pretty good inkling for quite some time.

-Peters solidified the selection w/ the org in the draft war room b4 they made the pick. Really kept it close to the vest and till the last minute outside of a select few.

-Peters said he never considered trading back, only got one offer.

-JD's demeanor completely changes when he gets to talk about football. Gets excited and locked in.

-They really liked the work ethic stuff. Dragging teamates to 5 am workouts, making LSU change their rules to give him more access

-Peters liked JDs use of VR. Another massive sign that it will continue.

-They love his processing ability and the environment he worked in going against the SEC

Some key parts that I either liked or found interesting

He told them, according to one person in the room, they are getting a "young man who loves football" and would help them "change this franchise forever." Then, according to the source, Peters finally said: "We're going with Jayden." The room erupted with cheers, clapping and high-fives.

"It was like a room of joy," said a person who was there. "It put everybody at ease."

...He liked Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy more than presumed second choice Drake Maye, the North Carolina star QB, according to multiple sources. But Daniels -- due in part to his experience, polish, resilience and game-changing ability -- became the organization's top pick early in their evaluations and never lost ground as Peters & Co. finished out the process.

While every No. 2 pick is of huge importance, this pick could alter the trajectory of a franchise trying to establish a new identity under new owner Josh Harris -- who purchased the team last summer -- new coach Dan Quinn and first-time GM Peters. Washington is attempting to get beyond more than two decades of futility under previous owner Dan Snyder, and solving its decades-long quarterback quest with a long-term answer at the position would go a long way toward accomplishing that goal. Washington has started 33 quarterbacks since last winning the Super Bowl after the 1991 season; the Commanders started eight in the past four years; no quarterback has served as the No. 1 guy for more than three years since Mark Rypien from 1989-93.

They needed to make sure they had the right guy. In the end, their process led them back to where they began: Daniels.

"We knew it was Jayden for a while," Peters said. "It would have taken a lot for it to not be Jayden. The whole building I would say was unanimous on that one. It's easy to see why."

...DANIELS HAD ADVOCATES outside of Washington as well. Former Arizona State coach Herm Edwards, who recruited Daniels and coached him for three years, told Peters that Daniels "was a man; don't let his youth fool you." One source said San Francisco receiver Brandon Aiyuk, a close friend of Daniels', sang his pal's praises to Peters. And San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan, with whom Peters worked for seven years, also gave Daniels a glowing review.

From that Florida State film on, nothing changed Washington's opinion of Daniels. The Commanders spoke to people from Arizona State, where Daniels played three years, and LSU. One source checked out his high school transcripts. They asked about his character.

Peters also liked that Daniels had the passcode changed at an LSU facility so he could enter after hours for more work. He also organized 5 a.m. workouts with his receivers; Washington's officials were impressed that he could cajole his teammates to attend at that hour. That, one source said, resonated as much as anything with Peters.

The boxes kept getting checked in Daniels' favor.

But the interest still went back to his on-field exploits. Like Peters, Quinn said Washington liked the level of competition Daniels played in the SEC, and the sophistication of the defenses he faced.

"They had looks and different things that Jayden has been able to really process things quickly," Quinn, a former defensive coordinator, said. "He has a real decision-making process that's fast."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If we accidentally made that field goal against the Jets last year - a game I turned off early because I was disgusted we were going to win - we would be welcoming JJ McCarthy right now. It seems like Peters' board was probably QB1) Jayden, QB2) Caleb, QB3) JJ.

I'm getting fired up but still can't help but feel nobody has really pressed into his durability beyond hand-waving about big hits. I'd be curious for Keim to speak to a sports science expert or sports doctor and ask some of those questions. Cooley felt that his build was not a concern and that his frame could accommodate 5-10 pounds of additional muscle over time no problem. It seems hard to believe looking at how skinny he is, but maybe it's the truth. I just wish we could hear from a true expert in the field.

Again, if Jayden looked 10 pounds beefier and were anywhere close to as fast as he is now, he'd be a Chicago Bear and we'd be welcoming Caleb to DC right now. I'm not as concerned with his throws between the hashes or sack rate. I was never worried about his work ethic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

If we accidentally made that field goal against the Jets last year - a game I turned off early because I was disgusted we were going to win - we would be welcoming JJ McCarthy right now. It seems like Peters' board was probably QB1) Jayden, QB2) Caleb, QB3) JJ.

I'm getting fired up but still can't help but feel nobody has really pressed into his durability beyond hand-waving about big hits. I'd be curious for Keim to speak to a sports science expert or sports doctor and ask some of those questions. Cooley felt that his build was not a concern and that his frame could accommodate 5-10 pounds of additional muscle over time no problem. It seems hard to believe looking at how skinny he is, but maybe it's the truth. I just wish we could hear from a true expert in the field.

Again, if Jayden looked 10 pounds beefier and were anywhere close to as fast as he is now, he'd be a Chicago Bear and we'd be welcoming Caleb to DC right now. I'm not as concerned with his throws between the hashes or sack rate. I was never worried about his work ethic. 

As for the work ethic stuff I know we are accustomed to some stories about dudes who don't have it.  But for me its not about having it or not having it -- for me its reading about many of the greats in all sports that their work ethic is through the roof.  

Brady for example didn't just have a good work ethic but it was legendary-insane.  Too early to know on Jayden but some good early indications that he might be in that insane work ethic category that some of the greats have.

My concern is also durability.  I'll say though this isn't a dumb organization anymore, so I'd guess 100% they have a plan to beef him up.  Heck Jayden himself said in an interview he has a plan working with a nutrionist

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Durability is always going to be the concern for any player. I feel like it’s doubly so for us, after what has happened here in the past. And doubly again for Jayden cause, duh. 

So it’s for sure a roll of the dice. I’m just glad they a rolling with what they see as the highest upside. I don’t want them to play scared that high in the draft. Go for broke! 

• Like 3

On 5/3/2024 at 1:12 PM, FootballZombie said:

Either that or he's hungry. He is kinda skinny...

Those DQ chicken strip baskets are legit.

I used to murder those chicken strip baskets back in college. With the honey mustard and ranch. Had to put myself on a strict diet after that

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 1:46 PM, CapsSkins said:

That Jets game last season was a nightmare. I’ve never wanted a loss so bad :lol: it would’ve royally screwed us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

New Hoffman interview of Keim on what was really going on privately behind the scenes at Commanders Park while they were publicly telling everyone that they hadn't made a decision which qb they wanted to draft...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

New Hoffman interview of Keim on what was really going on privately behind the scenes at Commanders Park while they were publicly telling everyone that they hadn't made a decision which qb they wanted to draft...

I listened to it the other day, it was a good listen.

He doubled down that this regime was very sold on Daniels.  And the runner up with them was McCarthy not Maye.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Greg Zeirlein needs a statue and a spot in the parade after JD5 wins us a Lombardi in 2028

28? The year yes, the season we will

be defending Super Bowl champs

24: 8-9

25: 11-6, wild card and playoff win

26: 13-4, nfc championship appearance

27:  15-2, Super Bowl

• Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, illone said:

Wild how some of the narratives around each player changed when more "NFL guys" got to jump into the breakdown sphere after the professional season ended for everybody following the super bowl and they kind of took things over from the "youtube randos".

We saw key negatives/positives for a variety of prospects absolutely flipped on their head.

Just further fuel to the fire about how I devalue those kinds of vids and will continue to do so in the future. Gimmie guys w/ some clout.

• Like 2