Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

interesting point from a PFF guy on a podcast about Jayden which is he would like to see him leave the pocket more. 

Some have discussed Jayden needs to throw more off platform when leaving the pocket.

My point was he’s good throwing off platform when he does do it.

The PFF’s guy point is also that he agrees hes good off platform.

But he took a diiferent approach to that point which is that Daniels hangs too much in thr pocket.

Stays in the pocket too much .... well, that's a new one. 

To me, if he can throw from the pocket and not hold onto the ball too long and move within the pocket, that's the preferred. He gets outside the pocket, the %ages go way down and he leaves himself open to injury. 

No thanks.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Stays in the pocket too much .... well, that's a new one. 

To me, if he can throw from the pocket and not hold onto the ball too long and move within the pocket, that's the preferred. He gets outside the pocket, the %ages go way down and he leaves himself open to injury. 

No thanks.

The point from Trevor from PFF that he leaves the pocket much less than some other mobile QBs and he's so good when he throws off platform that he should use that super power more.

It was interesting to hear that point because there is so much debate about Jayden running too much when he does leave the pocket.  But Trevor's point is this is indeed so but Jayden doesn't leave the pocket period as much as the typical mobile QB.

QBs who throw off platform aren't per se vulnerable to injuries versus throwing static from the pocket from what I recall.  Injuries happen when mobile QBs run.  But I haven't noticed off platform is that much of an injury risk.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

The point from Trevor from PFF that he leaves the pocket much less than some other mobile QBs and he's so good when he throws off platform that he should use that super power more.

It was interesting to hear that point because there is so much debate about Jayden running too much when he does leave the pocket.  But Trevor's point is this is so but Jayden doesn't leave the pocket period as much as the typical mobile QB.

QBs who throw off platform aren't per se vulnerable to injuries versus throwing from the pocket.  Injuries happen when mobile QBs run.  But I haven't noticed off platform is that much of an injury risk.

Just to be clear, is he suggesting that Jayden pass more when he leaves the pocket vs. run or that he simply needs to leave the pocket more often and either pass/run when he does? 

If it's the former, I would agree because it would spare his body. If it's the latter, I respectfully disagree.

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Just to be clear, is he suggesting that Jayden pass more when he leaves the pocket vs. run or that he simply needs to leave the pocket more often and either pass/run when he does? 

If it's the former, I would agree because it would spare his body. If it's the latter, I respectfully disagree.

Basically he's saying he plays a bit too much as if he's not mobile, he sits in the pocket and delivers and doesn't move much and plays a lot that way.  He believes he's overcompensating from earlier in his career when he tended to move too much.

Basically he is saying he's impressed that Daniels can play like he's Kirk Cousins-Bledsoe, etc -- or name that immobile QB who don't move much in the pocket.  But he thinks he overdoes the point because sometimes you can escape pressure if your instinct is to use your legs to dodge pressure versus hang in the pocket and at times get sacked. 

So its a different point that when Jayden actually does move in the pocket he tends to run versus throw off platform.  More or less his point is Jayden should move in the pocket more than he does now to use his full powers. 

I get the logic of wanting him to leave the pocket more.

From what I comprehend it seems like wanting the best of all worlds. When JD leaves the pocket, really good things tend to happen, pass or run. One would think you would want him to leave the pocket at a similar rate to other mobile QBs to take full advantage of that. Essentially JD is leaving plus plays on the table by NOT bailing at the same rate as other guys with major wheels.

Not sure I agree/desire that pathway myself tho. I liked the balance he had last year. If he had the pocket dude was more than willing to do a statue impersonation. That is what I want.

If he needs to run a bit more until the NFL game slows down for him that would be fine tho.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

I get the logic of wanting him to leave the pocket more.

From what I comprehend it seems like wanting the best of all worlds. When JD leaves the pocket, really good things tend to happen, pass or run. One would think you would want him to leave the pocket at a similar rate to other mobile QBs to take full advantage of that. Essentially JD is leaving plus plays on the table by NOT bailing at the same rate as other guys with major wheels.

Not sure I agree/desire that pathway myself tho. I liked the balance he had last year. If he had the pocket dude was more than willing to do a statue impersonation. That is what I want.

If he needs to run a bit more until the NFL game slows down for him that would be fine tho.

Not to worry, with our offensive line I doubt he will have a clean pocket very often.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would just like to see him develop a feel for sliding away from pressure within the pocket. Having him bail anytime there's pressure is a recipe for disaster (aka, broken leg).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

I would just like to see him develop a feel for sliding away from pressure within the pocket. Having him bail anytime there's pressure is a recipe for disaster (aka, broken leg).

I’m more concerned with what he does after bailing the pocket, not how often he bails.

If he embraces the slide/getting out of bounds instead of always going for the extra yards or big play, we’re good

show him tape of rg3, this is what happens when you don’t listen to your coaches and act like you’re invincible

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And I like the fact that Peyton knows Daniels and endorses him. Peyton isn't always the easiest dude to please.  I recall watching some of his QB takes on Wentz and Trubisky and it wasn't all kind and that was before it was cool to trash those QBs.

Obviously it's early and there are no pads and guys arent getting popped, but im a fan of trends, common indicators, and echoed sentiments from a range of individuals. JD seems to be getting the early stamp of approval from various voices and i like it. Hope it continues into camp, and from what ive heard thus far theres no reason to believe it wont:

- Peyton: We can now add one of the best to ever do it as a fan of the kid

- Saban: One of the best in college ball was a fan during the draft process, also not known for being effusive with praise; admitted JD was toughest dude they played/defended (Believe Bill Belichick said he was a fan of JD watching him at LSU's pro day last year, but dont remember full quote)

- Kingsbury: Says JD is ahead of the game and super impressed with his study habits and love for the game

- Adam Peters: Blown away from/after diving into JD's tape 

- DQ: "Dog ass competitor", talked about JD already being on top of playbook and being a leader

- Herm & Brian Kelly: Might seem easy to include them but we all know college coaches arent always fans of former players going to the league or are very clear guys need a lot of work/arent ready. Clear opposite with both

- Team mates with varying experience: Hartman, Dotson, Sennot, Ertz have all been high on the rookie and very impressed with his showing and preparedness

- Media: Not really including them because it can be a toss-up, but i follow so many accounts on twitter and truly havent seen a real critique or concern thus far. If anything, it's nice to hear media members say he looks bigger/more built in person than they thought. Keim and Paulsen are the two that i really pay attention to and they seem to speak highly.

Fully aware it's early, but i like what's being said from different voices. Especially from a spectrum of folks who have been around and seen it all whether playing, coaching, or covering players. Surely exciting times.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, FrFan said:

Sorry, Bears fans. While I expect No. 1 overall pick Caleb Williams to post impressive numbers for Chicago, I am even more intrigued by the statistics the dual-threat Daniels might generate in Kliff Kingsbury's offense in D.C. 

Much has been made about the Bears' weapons (and for good reason), but the Commanders' runners, receivers and tight ends are arguably just as talented. If Daniels can stay healthy, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner will justify this pick and lead this year's celebrated quarterback class in passing yards and touchdowns.

Saying our offensive skill players are just as good as Chicago's is an outrageous overestimation of our surrounding talent.  Maybe our backs are kind of close, but almost anyone would take Swift/Herbert/Roschon over our three guys.  TE is not a good position for us next year unless Sinnott breaks out way earlier than TEs typically do.  And everyone would take Odunze/Moore/Allen over McLaurin/Dotson/McCaffrey.  Their third guy is probably better than Terry.  Beyond that, their OL is way better than ours too, with high end tackles and guards that have already been together and were the second best OL behind Philly in block win rates last year.  Set aside the question of who is better between Jayden and Caleb, there is no question that the Bears have a better surrounding roster.  I think people have assumed that Caleb is walking into this terrible situation because his coach might be a lame duck.  But I think it's more likely that they saved the coaching staff by pulling in one of the prospects of the decade, and that their roster is already built up and looks like a future power team.  The biggest thing working against them is the quality of their division, but ours isn't a cake walk either.

This reminds me of 2012 when everyone underestimated the quality of the Colts roster surrounding Luck, and overestimated ours.  We seemed to be right there with them for one year, mainly because RGIII individually outplayed Luck that one season, and Morris was special in that system and situation.  But it quickly became very apparent that the Colts roster was much better than ours.  Expectations for Jayden's rookie year are getting set too high.  We have a ton of building on offense left to do.

TBH most of Rob Rang's picks felt like edgy, inaccurate takes.  Nabers is walking into the worst situation of all of the WRs taken in the top 34 picks.  There is no world where Cade Stover ends up being better than Brock Bowers, I don't care who is throwing them the ball.  They weren't even remotely close in college and that was with CJ Stroud and Stetson Bennett as the QBs in question.  Fashanu over Latham and Alt is putting a lot of unwarranted trust in the Jets.  And I like Corum way more than Benson for multiple reasons.  Kyren Williams is easier to compete with for touches than James Conner, McVay is a way better coach than Gannon, and that Rams offense is stacked compared to Arizona's, especially the passing game.  Corum will get to play complimentary football for a Superbowl contender.  Haynes as the top guard feels more justifiable, but even still, JPJ is the clear choice.  Beebe at center for Dallas probably ends up being right though.  It's interesting that they moved him to that position.  Kind of feels like an even better fit for him than Guard, and that he can compete with Linderbaum and Humphrey for All Pro selections.  Dallas is getting perilously close to one seed territory.  I don't understand how they can afford to keep such a stacked roster together.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Saying our offensive skill players are just as good as Chicago's is an outrageous overestimation of our surrounding talent.  Maybe our backs are kind of close, but almost anyone would take Swift/Herbert/Roschon over our three guys.  TE is not a good position for us next year unless Sinnott breaks out way earlier than TEs typically do.  And everyone would take Odunze/Moore/Allen over McLaurin/Dotson/McCaffrey.  Their third guy is probably better than Terry.  Beyond that, their OL is way better than ours too, with high end tackles and guards that have already been together and were the second best OL behind Philly in block win rates last year.  Set aside the question of who is better between Jayden and Caleb, there is no question that the Bears have a better surrounding roster.  I think people have assumed that Caleb is walking into this terrible situation because his coach might be a lame duck.  But I think it's more likely that they saved the coaching staff by pulling in one of the prospects of the decade, and that their roster is already built up and looks like a future power team.  The biggest thing working against them is the quality of their division, but ours isn't a cake walk either.

This reminds me of 2012 when everyone underestimated the quality of the Colts roster surrounding Luck, and overestimated ours.  We seemed to be right there with them for one year, mainly because RGIII individually outplayed Luck that one season, and Morris was special in that system and situation.  But it quickly became very apparent that the Colts roster was much better than ours.  Expectations for Jayden's rookie year are getting set too high.  We have a ton of building on offense left to do.

TBH most of Rob Rang's picks felt like edgy, inaccurate takes.  Nabers is walking into the worst situation of all of the WRs taken in the top 34 picks.  There is no world where Cade Stover ends up being better than Brock Bowers, I don't care who is throwing them the ball.  They weren't even remotely close in college and that was with CJ Stroud and Stetson Bennett as the QBs in question.  Fashanu over Latham and Alt is putting a lot of unwarranted trust in the Jets.  And I like Corum way more than Benson for multiple reasons.  Kyren Williams is easier to compete with for touches than James Conner, McVay is a way better coach than Gannon, and that Rams offense is stacked compared to Arizona's, especially the passing game.  Corum will get to play complimentary football for a Superbowl contender.  Haynes as the top guard feels more justifiable, but even still, JPJ is the clear choice.  Beebe at center for Dallas probably ends up being right though.  It's interesting that they moved him to that position.  Kind of feels like an even better fit for him than Guard, and that he can compete with Linderbaum and Humphrey for All Pro selections.  Dallas is getting perilously close to one seed territory.  I don't understand how they can afford to keep such a stacked roster together.

1 seed for Dallas, more like 6 or 7 or even missing the playoffs.

Dallas can’t pay Dak, Micah and Cee Dee and likely one of them not returning in 25.

Listened to Steve Sands from the Golf channel on Sheehan's podcast, he's a big Commanders fan.

He said he knows people who are close with Jayden and they double down that he's a football junkie, obsessed with football.  And he feels that point alone is a big deal.

He correlated to saying he knows some around Jonathan Allen and Payne who have told him Allen is better in part because Allen is more obsessed with football than Payne is.  As to the Allen-Payne stuff I heard the same thing from another beat reporter, forgetting which one last year, that coaches told him that Payne isn't the most self motivating dude.  They didn't say he's bad on that front but he's nothing special as to his drive and sometimes needs to be pushed.  

But anyway in short it looks like at a minimum Daniels has that Rocky like drive to be great.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Agree with you that the Bears supporting cast > Commanders.  

I do like the weapons Daniels has though over the 2012 team.   #1 WR was Garcon in 2012 and he got banged up in game 1.  Morgan and Aldrick, etc were just ok.   TE was probably a wash.   Alfred Morris had a career year his rookie season, wonder though if much of that was the RO which had defenses off balance.  

2012 Oline was better though.  Dismantiling a good O line and failing to rebuild it is among the long list of infamous aspects of Rivera's legacy here.   I also like the coaches and talent on defense now better than in 2012.

There is no world where Cade Stover ends up being better than Brock Bowers, I don't care who is throwing them the ball.  They weren't even remotely close in college and that was with CJ Stroud and Stetson Bennett as the QBs in question. 

Agree.  It comes off ridiculous.

Dallas is getting perilously close to one seed territory.  I don't understand how they can afford to keep such a stacked roster together.

They keep it together in part by doing almost nothing in FA year after year.  Will McClay is a stud drafter, might be the best in the league.  But it feels like this year might be their last shot.  Dak and Micah need to be paid.  Dak supposedly wants 60 million a year.  And I'd guess Michah wants 30.  Something has to give.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Our GM and coaching staff are much better than theirs. I believe they can make our offense quite lethal, and of course some players will improve ( McLaurin / Dotson ).

As @HTTRDynasty said this guy must be a Commanders fan. I do agree he 's probablys overestimating us but it's always good to get some positive vibes. :)

Edited by FrFan

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

Our GM and coaching staff are much better than theirs. I believe they can make our offense quite lethal, and of course some players will improve ( McLaurin / Dotson ).

As @HTTRDynasty said this guy must be a Commanders fan, I do agree he 's probablys overestimating us but it's always good to get some positive vibes. :)

Positive vibes are a nice change, but I just want to establish realistic expectations for the year.  When we set them too high, it tends to cause very harsh negative reactions.  There might be a Bryce Young scenario for Jayden's rookie season where he struggles to adjust to the NFL, and doesn't have the surrounding support necessary for early success.  And that's OK.  Most great QBs either weren't very good as rookies, or didn't play at all.  We just need to stick to the long term plan with Jayden, and build the best possible cradle for his development.  This is going to be a learning year, we're probably not going to be that competitive yet, and we still have a lot of building to do in order to become contenders.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Dallas is getting perilously close to one seed territory.

You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

20240518_134802.thumb.jpg.4258d64fbf55a2e2f5b86db174f5ebb4.jpg

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

18 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

show him tape of rg3, this is what happens when you don’t listen to your coaches and act like you’re invincible

When RG3 ran it wasn't he wasn't listening to the coaches. He just couldn't read defenses and relied on his legs instead because he was good at it. But on that particular play, he knew we needed the 1st down with the playoffs on the line. I don't blame RG3 here for trying to win the game that is what we want a QB to do. Sure he had no idea that Ngata was going to blindside him and  target his lower body instead. Ngata was a dirty player. He could have tackled RG3 above the knee instead of putting his helmet on his knee and a different future would have been written. 

Daniels is a pocket passer and can read defenses unlike RG3. JD will be taught to protect himself in such cases when he has to run. RG3 hit was an anomaly and not the norm. Keep in mind that Brady got hurt with a lower body hit (which was deemed legal) while still in pocket. Again stuff like this happen. I am not going to stress about what can happen to JD5. Hopefully he stays healthy and injury free for the entire season. That is all one could ask for. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Positive vibes are a nice change, but I just want to establish realistic expectations for the year.  When we set them too high, it tends to cause very harsh negative reactions.  There might be a Bryce Young scenario for Jayden's rookie season where he struggles to adjust to the NFL, and doesn't have the surrounding support necessary for early success.  And that's OK.  Most great QBs either weren't very good as rookies, or didn't play at all.  We just need to stick to the long term plan with Jayden, and build the best possible cradle for his development.  This is going to be a learning year, we're probably not going to be that competitive yet, and we still have a lot of building to do in order to become contenders.

It’s tough not to get swept up in the excitement that (usually) comes with change, and that often gets magnified when you have add a talented rookie qb.  And in our case, it’s not just the qb, but the culture change (for real this time!), a lot of talented and competent coaches, and promising FO/ownership that feels like they’re set to lead us out of the wasteland we’ve been stuck in.

But I’m with you, setting expectations high is asking for disappointment.  IMO, the focus should be on making strides this year, with a clear direction for the future.  The good news is I think the FO gets this.  

• Like 3