Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Schedule News, Rumors, and Mocks

kleese

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Tampa game is a 4:25 game. Hate that as far as watching other games goes. Only one 4PM home game though. So that is good. 

I think the weather played a role as to why this game is at 4:25 versus at 1PM in the boiling Florida heat and humidity.

• Like 1

I like how we will be coming off extra rest (TNF) and Dallas will be on short rest (MNF) when we host them.

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Also, having to play a road game on the west coast coming off a road MNF game is absolutely brutal.

Agreed, that's a tough scenario.  Would be back breaking to lose to AZ.

One big takeaway that I noticed that I didn’t see mentioned yet is the fact that our only two primetime games this year will be both on the road (@CIN and @PHI).  The league is telling us what kind of HFA we have at (formerly) Fed-EX Field.  I don’t see us hosting any more primetime games again, even if we do have a decent season, because the stadium is terrible and the optics of it being occupied mostly by away fans is not ideal to the Commanders or their brand.

I booked my hotel for Arizona and New Orleans. It’s cost effective move to book refundable rooms now. If prices go down you can always cancel.

Tickets to the game are usually not a good time to buy now. Most teams don’t transfer tickets to season ticket holders until late July/early August so prices will come down.

Plane tickets I usually wait for a sale which is normally around 90 days before the game. Exception being games around holidays and you should book those seats early.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, samy316 said:

One big takeaway that I noticed that I didn’t see mentioned yet is the fact that our only two primetime games this year will be both on the road (@CIN and @PHI).  The league is telling us what kind of HFA we have at (formerly) Fed-EX Field.  I don’t see us hosting any more primetime games again, even if we do have a decent season, because the stadium is terrible and the optics of it being occupied mostly by away fans is not ideal to the Commanders or their brand.

We are awful on nationally televised home games. Absolutely awful. 

On the road we're actually not terrible. Like .500 ish. But at home we're like probably under .200 and routinely lose by double digits. Its actually kinda ridiculous.

• Like 1

Really short reminder: nobody really knows anything about how good any team is going to be in May.  

We have one elite team (outside of any division games) on the schedule, and that's the Ravens. I define them as elite because they consistently win 9+ games a season, even when their QB is hurt.  It's fantastic it's an away game (virtually no travel), on regular rest, and middle of the season. 

The only schedule quirk I don't love is playing the Eagles away on a Thursday night.  Good our Thursday night game is very close.  But I generally hate Thursday night games, the home team still has a significant advantage, and I REALLY hate them when they are division games.  Shrug.  Oh, well.  

I don't love the really late bye week either.  But we have a mini-bye week coming off the Eagles game, play Dallas, home to Tennessee, then the full bye week.   Which isn't terrible.

Overall, no major quirks.  It is what it is.  Gotta play what's in front of you.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Really short reminder: nobody really knows anything about how good any team is going to be in May.  

We have one elite team (outside of any division games) on the schedule, and that's the Ravens. I define them as elite because they consistently win 9+ games a season, even when their QB is hurt.  It's fantastic it's an away game (virtually no travel), on regular rest, and middle of the season. 

The only schedule quirk I don't love is playing the Eagles away on a Thursday night.  Good our Thursday night game is very close.  But I generally hate Thursday night games, the home team still has a significant advantage, and I REALLY hate them when they are division games.  Shrug.  Oh, well.  

I don't love the really late bye week either.  But we have a mini-bye week coming off the Eagles game, play Dallas, home to Tennessee, then the full bye week.   Which isn't terrible.

Overall, no major quirks.  It is what it is.  Gotta play what's in front of you.

Well they are playing @ Dallas at 4:25 before that Thursday game while we play home against Pittsburgh.  They'll have less time to prepare, plus. are coming back from a 3 hour plane ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

The stadium is being refurbished. We will

get home prime time games. The new stadium is 4-5 years away.  They aren’t going to not give home prime time games. When we have a record worth earning it, we will.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

While there are a few teams like Philly, Dallas, and Pitt whose fans probably make it close to 50-50, people see the rest of the games where the visitors side of the lower bowl has a lot of opposing fans and think the whole stadium is taken over. I don't think that is the case and you generally have more Commanders fans than the opposition by a large margin.

The narrative of the team losing HFA exploded after the 2008 Steelers MNF game and then they started removing seats in 2010. Since then we've played as many primitive games at home as we did away. In 2018 we played two away primetime games and none at home. We were coming off an 8-7-1 seaon. Granted, we did lose Cousins (but replaced him with Alex) that off-season.

I think you're reading too much into us not having any home primetime games. I'm sure Commanders Field will host several more primetime games in its life.

The problem is that that life is too long. No idea when a new place gonna be built at this point.

On 5/7/2024 at 9:48 AM, zCommander said:

@kleese I don't like your second Monday night game. I rather they play on the 27th instead, at home, which will be on my birthday and I will be more inclined to go to that one. :) 

I just got home... long day... looked at the schedule and this makes me happy. Got my wish! Will be attending the Bears game at home on my Bday. :D 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 5/4/2024 at 2:16 PM, kleese said:

Appears schedule could be released as early as Thursday, so I guess it's time to mock.... 

Sunday, September 8th (1pm): Commanders at Giants 

Sunday, September 15th (1pm): Titans at Commanders 

Monday, September 23rd (8pm): Bears at Commanders 

Sunday, September 29th (1pm): Commanders at Eagles 

Sunday, October 6th (4:25pm): Cowboys at Commanders

Sunday, October 13th (1pm): Commanders at Saints 

Sunday, October 20th (1pm): Falcons at Commanders 

Monday, October 28th (8pm): Steelers at Commanders 

BYE

Thursday, November 7th (8pm): Commanders at Ravens 

Sunday, November 17th (1pm): Eagles at Commanders 

Sunday, November 24th (1pm): Commanders at Cowboys 

Sunday, December 1st (1pm): Browns at Commanders 

Sunday, December 8th (4:05pm): Commanders at Cardinals 

Sunday, December 15th (1pm): Panthers at Commanders 

Sunday, December 22nd (1pm): Commanders at Bucs

Sunday, December 29th (1pm): Commanders at Bengals 

Sunday, January 5th (TBA): Giants at Commanders 

I struggled this year; usually I have some "gut" feels, but not so much for 2024. I will stick to my guns that our Thursday game will be at Baltimore. I think the Thursday game + 2 MNF games sounds about right for us-- and I'd expect them to come within first 10 games of the season or thereabouts. I threw in one 4:25 featured game v Dallas as well, although I'm pretty iffy on that. I don't expect a SNF game, but one of our Dallas games being on SNF wouldn't shock me. I'll say we open AND close with the Giants. 

Well, I got one— sort of. I had us playing Dallas on 11-24 at 1pm; only thing is I had that as the home game. Wasn’t close on much else; I had us with three primetime games and we got two. Some thoughts:

—Considering this is a 9 home game season for us, I was a little surprised to see us open 3/4 on road and 4/6 AND close on the road. That means a TON of home games in middle part of season. 

—We’ve opened with the Bucs before (quite memorably in the Gibbs return game in 2004), but I don’t think we’ve ever opened IN Tampa. I’m straining my brain but can’t recall a w1 down there. 

—First time we do not kickoff at 1pm w1 since 2018 and the first time we’ve kicked off in the late Sunday window in a non-West coast game since 2011 (Giants). 

—I believe this will be first time we’ve ever played Bengals on MNF (or at least since early 80s). 

—First time we’ve played Steelers on a Sunday afternoon at home since late 80s (1988 I think?) 

—On a personal note, I’m a big fan of this schedule. The Sunday late afternoon window has always been my favorite. I like watching the early games and not having the day spoiled early. I also will always associate that window with games that REALLY matter, so I was happy to see we have three such instances early in schedule. Now, NONE of these are due to us being in a marquee window and all of them wound up being schedule-filler, but I’m good with it. Hopefully we are good and have an opportunity to flex into some prime spots later in year. I also think it’s about as “fair and balanced” a schedule as it gets. 

Tampa is a winnable opener; followed by what I hope is another winnable game with Giants at home. Our tougher games (on paper) are very spread out. We really don’t have an overly difficult stretch. I guess the 3 out of 4 games v AFC North with road game at Cardinals is mixed in is pretty tough. Back to back with Eagles/Cowboys leading into Thanksgiving as well. But all in all I think it’s favorable in terms of balance, travel, et

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 of our first 4 games are away games.

Doesn't look like a ton of traveling for the Washington this season. Only one trip to the west coast (week 4 in Arizona). Playing the AFC North this year who are all relatively close to D.C. helps that.

Pretty good schedule.