Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Schedule News, Rumors, and Mocks

kleese

I create this thread yearly… while most fans are deep in draft mocks, I am dreaming of the schddule release and those mocks. As avid of a fan as I am, I do not enjoy much draft talk as I think no one really knows anything. But we DO know that a 17 game schedule will be released sometime in mid May and that’s even more important to me than the draft because every year when the schedule drops, it’s like MY schedule for the fall is being released as well. 

I started doodling mock schedules on my folders at school in the 80s and 90s— back when the scheduling rules and patterns were less set in stone. Also clearly remember checking the newspaper daily from sometime in late March as there was never any sort of announcement in advance. One day it was just there (used to be released much earlier in spring). 

As far as the 2024 schedule goes, we don’t know much… and I’d take any rumors at this point with a grain of salt. Rumors swirled that the first Brazil game was going to be Browns-Eagles and turns out it will be Packers-Eagles. 

We do know who (and where) we will play. 

What else do we know? 

—Bears, Jaguars, Vikings designated as London teams. I THINK this means they will “host” those games— we do not play road games with any of them. 

—Panthers designated for Germany. We host them this year so I don’t believe we’d be eligible for that either. Only asterisk would be if there isn’t a home or road designation for those games yet. But I don’t expect us to be on the International slate this year. 

—We will not be opening up on the first Thurs or Fri of season. Chiefs will host Thursday and we do not play them. Eagles will play Packers that Friday from Brazil, so we obviously also know Eagles won’t be our week 1 opponent. 

Gonna wait until post-draft to drop Mock 1.0; in general, I’d expect us to be handed a “modest” allocation of games on the national plate. Probably 1-2 more marquee spots than we’ve gotten the last couple of years for mostly obvious reasons. It was a surprise last year we weren’t on MNF—especially with the added games; I expect that to change this year. I WILL be surprised if we land on SNF; only way I see that is if it’s one of the Dallas games; probably early in the year. 

The NFL tries to limit travel for Thursday games, so I’m leaning hard to predicting at Ravens could be our Thursday game this season. I would not expect us on Thanksgiving this year. 

• Thanks 4

Regarding international games, the "home" team will always be an NFC team this year since NFC teams have the extra home game. So that would make the Jags the designated road team when they go to London, and will be playing against an NFC team. It also means we could be playing an international game this year. Perhaps against the Bears? Promote the future of the league, 1st pick vs 2nd pick, overseas. There are probably better matchups though for the Bears.

I also feel like we're kinda due to open the season on the road. We opened at home every year in the Rivera era. We'll probably get a boring opener like @ New Orleans or Tampa.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I also feel like we're kinda due to open the season on the road. We opened at home every year in the Rivera era. We'll probably get a boring opener like @ New Orleans or Tampa.

I still think we will open at home vs. the Cowboys. 

13 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

I still think we will open at home vs. the Cowboys. 

Certainly possible but t hey typically open with a nationally televised or at least 4:25 time slot game and I don't think we have that kind of juice right now.

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Certainly possible but t hey typically open with a nationally televised or at least 4:25 time slot game and I don't think we have that kind of juice right now.

Been awhile since we opened with Dallas… 2010, right? Am I forgetting one? So that has crossed my mind, but as you correctly point out.. Dallas is almost always in one of the marquee W1 spots. We know Chiefs, Eagles, and Packers will be accounted for PRIOR to Sunday… so you need a big time SNF game, a good option at 4:25 and probably at least a decent choice for MNF that doesn’t involve any of those 3 teams. You’d think Cowboys for sure factor in there with the Niners, Ravens, Lions being in mix as well. The only way we land in a big W1 slot is if it’s vs Dallas. 

Right now I’m leaning to a ho-hum opener… at home v Titans or Panthers; maybe on road at Tampa. 

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

We have an away game against the Cardinals in AZ this year. My home patch!

I will be attending and look forward to maybe meeting some of you around that game.

I’m coming to that game for sure. I will probably go to New Orleans as well. I’m hoping that one is in September. UCLA plays at LSU September 21. I would love for Washington to play the Saints the same weekend. 

We really don't deserve any primetime games, except for the random TNF game against the Bears (or Bucs).  We're not good enough for SNF, and I doubt that we're even good enough for MNF, now that it's gotten a better slate of games the last few years, and also for the fact that we have a new coach, and a rookie QB.  I'd argue that we have the most anonymous, least well known roster in the league outside Carolina or New England.  We don't have the star power or the cache to attract any primetime/feature games, except for when we play the NFC East.  I might buy us getting a pity MNF game against the Cowboys or Eagles, but that's all we get.  So, I predict 1 MNF game, 1 TNF game, no main 4:25PM games on FOX or CBS and no SNF.

I think drafting Daniels will actually increase our chances of getting a primetime game for whatever its worth. He has national appeal and sizzle. I could see our game against Baltimore being a MNF or TNF game. Daniels vs. Jackson.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

I could easily see the opener being at Baltimore, they normally open with a easy game as in the past 3 seasons they played the Texans, Jets and Raiders … 

The Ravens will want no part of us after we stomped their streak last preseason behind an excellent game plan orchestrated by Coach Ron and his staff. 

6 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

I'm just glad this team didn't get the Brazil game vs Philly Week 1.  Good luck to GB because they're going to need it

I see this the other way around....GB will throw the ball all over the yard on the Eagles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, MartinC said:

We have an away game against the Cardinals in AZ this year. My home patch!

I will be attending and look forward to maybe meeting some of you around that game.

I live in Utah and took the family to Washington’s 2018 season opener against the Cardinals in Phoenix.

I was most surprised by the number of Washington fans there.

Will definitely be anxious to see when the Commanders will play them.

My prediction for when the game will be played this year:  Another uninspiring Week 1 game.

On 4/11/2024 at 11:04 AM, Warhead36 said:

I think drafting Daniels will actually increase our chances of getting a primetime game for whatever its worth. He has national appeal and sizzle. I could see our game against Baltimore being a MNF or TNF game. Daniels vs. Jackson.

It usually doesn't happen like this.  Rookie QB's are never prominently featured in primetime, unless the team they go to is already a popular franchise (Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, etc),  Jayden Daniels won't move the needle like that in any way for this team.  We're going to have to win and win often out of the gate to earn primetime games later in the season or primetime games for next season.  Washington is too lowly a franchise to be featured in primetime, just because they drafted a Heisman-winning QB.  We'll get a default primetime game on a Thursday night or maybe a MNF game against the Cowboys, but that's all we will get.  This franchise doesn't move the needle enough to be given primetime games.  Our glory years were a long time ago.

10 minutes ago, samy316 said:

It usually doesn't happen like this.  Rookie QB's are never prominently featured in primetime, unless the team they go to is already a popular franchise (Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, etc),  Jayden Daniels won't move the needle like that in any way for this team.  We're going to have to win and win often out of the gate to earn primetime games later in the season or primetime games for next season.  Washington is too lowly a franchise to be featured in primetime, just because they drafted a Heisman-winning QB.  We'll get a default primetime game on a Thursday night or maybe a MNF game against the Cowboys, but that's all we will get.  This franchise doesn't move the needle enough to be given primetime games.  Our glory years were a long time ago.

"It usually doesn't happen like this.  Rookie QB's are never prominently featured in primetime..."

You're probably right, but I could see at least one rookie qb vs. rookie qb game on our schedule having some national interest-- Commanders vs Chicago.

6 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"It usually doesn't happen like this.  Rookie QB's are never prominently featured in primetime..."

You're probably right, but I could see at least one rookie qb vs. rookie qb game on our schedule having some national interest-- Commanders vs Chicago.

Yes, I could see Caleb Williams Vs. Jayden Daniels (or Drake Maye) being a TNF game.  Other than a possible Cowboys game on MNF, I foresee LOTS of 1PM games for us this season.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

17 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Yes, I could see Caleb Williams Vs. Jayden Daniels (or Drake Maye) being a TNF game.  Other than a possible Cowboys game on MNF, I foresee LOTS of 1PM games for us this season.

The caveat here is the ever-changing landscape of the NFL schedule. Adding the W1 Friday game, adding the Black Friday game, adding the MNF DHs, adding the Wednesday Christmas games and more Sat games later in year, et. I think the last few years the league went out of their way to avoid us in more prominent spots for obvious reasons. Now, I think that particular cloud has lifted. For sure, the on-field product isn’t enough to make them want to feature us, but I’d bet we get placed in a few more second tier national slots than most would expect. 

Here’s nfc teams that would get more national slots than us:  San Fran, LA, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas and Philly.

Even though they will have a rookie qb, Chicago was 7-10 and could contend for a wild card in Caleb’s first year.

I think those teams will be more attractive options.  If we get any national games, we will be facing one of those teams or the best afc teams on our schedule.

17 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Here’s nfc teams that would get more national slots than us:  San Fran, LA, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago, Dallas and Philly.

Even though they will have a rookie qb, Chicago was 7-10 and could contend for a wild card in Caleb’s first year.

I think those teams will be more attractive options.  If we get any national games, we will be facing one of those teams or the best afc teams on our schedule.

I forgot about the fact that we play the AFC North this year, so we might have a possible MNF game against the Steelers.  The last two times we’ve faced them at home, it’s been on MNF.

On 4/13/2024 at 12:50 PM, samy316 said:

I forgot about the fact that we play the AFC North this year, so we might have a possible MNF game against the Steelers.  The last two times we’ve faced them at home, it’s been on MNF.

We had made the playoffs in both the previous seasons (2007 and 2015).

29 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

We had made the playoffs in both the previous seasons (2007 and 2015).

That probably had a lot to do with it too.  Pittsburgh might be the only other primetime game we get besides the Bears or maybe the Cowboys/Eagles.