Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Counterpoint (and I believe it from what I know of Sirianni):

There is a push to lay all the blame for the Eagles’ offense at the feet of Brian Johnson. The logic is that this offense ran fine with Shane Steichen, so the new Offensive Coordinator must be the problem. But is he? Or is the scheme he is being asked to call plays in the problem? Can he be held accountable for bad play-calling if the playbook is flawed to begin with?

Nick Sirianni has said it himself. This is his offense. He designs the plays, he makes the gameplan. Brian Johnson just calls the plays. Eagles fans may hope the solution is as simple as changing Coordinators. That is far easier to do than changing the head coach. But Sirianni is at the core of the issues when it comes to the Eagles’ late-season struggles on offense. The problems with the blitz, the lack of throws over the middle of the field, the predictable plays. That is all Nick Sirianni. Even if fans want to pin it on Johnson.

Dont take my word for it though. On Thursday, Tim McManus joined the show for the full 3 PM hour. They talked to him about his recent article about the rift between Jalen Hurts, Brian Johnson, And Nick Sirianni. And while he was on, he talked about how little Brian Johnson had to do with the direction of this offense.

“All Lurie has to do is pick up the phone and call people who know Brian Johnson. The response from those people will be that is not Brian Johnson’s offense. You can see the confliction play out on the field because you can tell it is not what he would be calling in that situation. That is not Brian Johnson’s offense.”

https://975thefanatic.com/2024/01/19/firing-brian-johnson-wont-fix-the-eagles-offense/

I hope you are right? I was just going by what I was seeing and watching what was not happening and the comments being made. Seems like a good hire. 

Another article on the situation with the Eagles offense last year: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39309562/philadelphia-eagles-nick-sirianni-jalen-hurts-disconnect

A source described Johnson as having to fit his own philosophy within an offensive structure belonging to Sirianni. And just how much autonomy Johnson has as a playcaller is unclear. Sirianni has acknowledged that he'll step in to overrule a call on occasion, as he did on a critical third-and-long play against the Washington Commanders in Week 4, when Johnson wanted to pass and Sirianni dialed up a run, which didn't pan out. The line is blurred enough that some offensive players don't know for sure who is calling the plays and when, a team source said.

Hurts, meanwhile, is trying to find the groove in the middle as he navigates his fourth NFL season.

As the uneven play hints, the Hurts/Sirianni/Johnson triumvirate has struggled to get fully aligned.

A victory over Tampa could get the focus off Sirianni's job security and the ailments of this team that have come to light in recent weeks. But those conversations might only be put on hold.

"I believe whatever happens Monday," a source said, "the problems and issues are still there."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seantaylor=god said:

As a QB coach, presumably. But isn’t he more of a read-option guy than air raid?

I’m starting to get Frankenstein’s monster vibes with our offensive staff…

I think the idea that Kingsbury is a pure air raid guy who will try to force that on all of his NFL personnel is a bit misleading.

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/what-to-expect-from-kliff-kingsbury

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/fiction-and-non-fiction-on-kliff-kingsbury-offense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Loving what I’m reading about Brian Johnson — another QB whisperer!

Both Kliff and Brian have been lauded for their work in developing young QBs and that’s exactly what we need. If Johnson comes on as Pass Game Coordinator, I’ll be keen to see whom they hire as QB coach.

Hopefully we end up with a three-headed monster of QB developers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the idea that Kingsbury is a pure air raid guy who will try to force that on all of his NFL personnel is a bit misleading.

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/what-to-expect-from-kliff-kingsbury

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/fiction-and-non-fiction-on-kliff-kingsbury-offense

"The concerns around Kingsbury’s offense stem from his system in college. Kingsbury used the popular “Air Raid” system in college, which involves spreading out the defense with three and even four wide receivers and trying to attack down the field. There’s very little running game, lots of bubble screens and everything is run almost exclusively out of the shotgun. There’s also very little huddling as the offense looks to use tempo to play fast and exploit defenses that aren’t ready for the snap. 

In the NFL, however, Kingsbury’s offense was quite different. In fact the offense in his last year in the league back in 2022 was much more conventional than the system he used in college. That’s not to say he changed everything, some of the traits like heavy shotgun usage and up-tempo periods carried over, but Kingsbury was also wise enough to know he needed to add more to his system for it to be successful at the NFL level. 

One of the main concerns surrounded his run game, as there was very little running in the Air Raid system in college. The Cardinals ran the ball plenty during Kingsbury’s four years and were actually pretty efficient at it too. It certainly helped to have an athletic quarterback like Kyler Murray that could add on to the run game and create issues for the defense from a numbers perspective, but the Caridnals run game was more than just Murray. They deployed a gap scheme rushing attack with some fun twists to change things up."

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 2

If Brian Johnson doesn't deserve much blame because it's Sirianni's offense, does Brian Johnson deserve a lot of credit when it was Sirianni's offense? I don't really care either way, a passing game coordinator is a passing game coordinator to me, I just don't understand the hype if he had no control.

48 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

I think he just had no one to throw too from replays and it was strange the middle of the field was wide open. I am sure teams took advantage of his injury too. 

The inability to deal with pressure/blitz was what killed them. The book is out and they will continue to see a ton of pressure looks until they prove they can deal with it. How much of that was on Siriani compared to Johnson (or Hurts for that matter) is conjecture.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If Brian Johnson doesn't deserve much blame because it's Sirianni's offense, does Brian Johnson deserve a lot of credit when it was Sirianni's offense? I don't really care either way, a passing game coordinator is a passing game coordinator to me, I just don't understand the hype if he had no control.

The hype is hes got a good record of developing QBs. He's not going to be designing the offense here or calling plays - thats Kingsburys role.

• Like 5

What a change a year makes.

Ron hired cronies and they hired their own cronies. Reid dumped off EB on his "friend" Ron in a masterstroke.

We will be so much more prepared this year.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 9
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Hooper said:

What a change a year makes.

Ron hired cronies and they hired their own cronies. Reid dumped off EB on his "friend" Ron in a masterstroke.

We will be so much more prepared this year.

This is what pissed me off with the "witch", Reid fooled us with McNabb, we should have learned. Nevertheless this ridicule wasn't enough, we gave him a couple of extra shots with Smith and EB. Thanks God it's over, time to kick some asses.

• Thumb up 1

Another possible benefit of Brian Johnson joining the staff is that he knows the intricacies of installing and executing the so-called "tush push" short yardage play.

Assuming it doesn't get legislated out of football it could gives us a serious edge next year allowing us to think more often of having 4 downs to get 10 yards vs three.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Another possible benefit of Brian Johnson joining the staff is that he knows the intricacies of installing and executing the so-called "tush push" short yardage play.

Assuming it doesn't get legislated out of football it could gives us a serious edge next year allowing us to think more often of having 4 downs to get 10 yards vs three.

giphy.gif

1af5c22bac677ebb3a7198bae11beb4e-origina

• Haha 4

One of my favorite concepts I learned in business school (maybe the only useful concept I used in business school?) was the Peter Principle.  The Peter Principle simply states people will rise to their level of incompetence.  

You do really well in one job, so you get promoted to another job, which requires a different skillset.  Sometimes, you survive that promotion, get really good at that job, then you get promoted again.  Eventually, you're going to get promoted to a job you can't do and you will fail, and everybody thinks you're an idiot.

I think that happened to EB.  By all accounts, and even in the meeting this week where he apparently went up and visited with the Chiefs before the game in Baltimore, he did a good job, had a good role, was respected, and the players liked and respected him during his time in KC. 

In that situation, he was the OC, but Reid ran the team, and EB fit under Reid.  Reid also called the offense.  

When EB had to do all of it on his own, he failed.

An almost perfect example of the Peter Principle.  

• Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, illone said:

Mike Tannenbaum thinks the Bears have ALL the leverage

I watched that yesterday. And I disagree with Tannenbaum. Caleb is the first NIL superstar. he is already a multi millionaire who does Dr. Pepper commercials on every single major NFL broadcast. He could easily tell the Bears to shove it, sit our for a year and reenter the draft next year. 

• Like 2

I'm very excited to see what Kliffy brings to the offense.  In one of the season with the Cards, they accumulated the 11th most rushing attempts in the NFL.  So, most likely, it's not going to be a true chuck and duck type of system.

Here's what I'm expecting:

- A lot of gun runs.  For those that want under-center runs and play-action off of that, I don't think you're going to like this offense. I also think you should watch non-Commanders football, because the entire league apart from the Lions and to some extent the Shanahan offenses, all run primarily Shotgun systems (including the Ravens and Eagles) and run a ton out of Gun.  

- A spread offense.  They're going to stretch the field horizontally to create space.  Which is one thing which makes running inside more effective.  

- Tempo.  It won't be like a Chip Kelly pace, but I think you're going to see some no-huddle and a much faster, in general, tempo.  

- A lot of bubble screens.  Extension of the running game.

- Less traditional screens.  

- A lot of attempts to get the ball down the field.  Probably several on every possession.  They're going to try to be explosive. 

I'm down for all of this.  I do think it's going to be more balanced than last year's offense from a run to pass ratio perspective.

• Like 4