Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

56 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Except Samuel was better the year before. 

Was it a good signing for the contract then. How was he better? I must have missed it, thought he did pretty good this year nothing stood out last year to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Veretax said:

I saw the tweet about Samuels maybe being a fit in Kingsbury's bubble screens etc.

Dyami Brown could do those routes too, and it would be easy to pick up a mid round WR with speed that can do that also.

I have found a certain USC WR particularly interesting, not just because of his pedigree

As for LB There are three I really like, and they might be there in late 2nd or mid 3rd round:  Edgerrin Cooper TX A&M, Jeremiah Trotter JR Clemson, and Cedric Gray (UNC)  Trotter's highlight reel is not as exciting to me as the other two, Gray showed incredible athleticism on several plays in the Senior bowl or East west Shrine Bowl....

But Coooper, man that guy has tape showing him as a spy, a pass rusher, and incredibly physical tackler.   I'd love to see him on this team.

UNC grad here and Ced Gray was an absolute beast that never quit 

9 hours ago, redskinss said:

I couldn't agree more, he doesn't display a ton of confidence in himself.

Quite possibly why it's taken him this long to land the big gig.

Quinn on the other hand is uber confident, the more I hear him talk the more I like this choice.

I sort of see Peters a little different. I think he's 100% genuine. He listens to every word that is said and absorbs it like a sponge. He doesnt just sit there staring off into space as if he knows it all, although I think he is incredibly brilliant. He's humble. He's enjoying the process and building relationships. He knows he doesn't have to be the voice of the franchise or the motivator of men. He has a quiet confidence about him but I believe behind the scenes he will command respect by his actions, not his words. I'm not sure its so much nervousness that you're seeing as much as it's a guy being overjoyed with the journey he's about to embark on. Kid in a candy store moment for sure!!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

talks about how Washington held Johnson in high regard and implies he was still the favorite before pulling out. And then goes on to say a job offer was made to Macdonald. Even going so far as stating that the Commanders thought they were going to get Macdonald. It's basically saying Quinn was option #3 once Johnson pulled out and Macdonald went to the Seattle Seahawks. That kind of sounds like settling, even if they really, really like Quinn.

It's not hard for me to believe Dan Quinn wasn't our first choice but it's also hard to believe Ben Johnson was our #1 target without having 1 in-person interview with him. What was it about Ben Johnson that made him so special the team supposedly forgot about every other candidate and only focused on him? Thats the part I have trouble believing but I wouldn't have trouble believing Macdonald was our first choice.

Listened to Quinn on Hoffman's show.  

As an interview he's great.  I know some say he's apples to apples to Rivera.  But those two are different cats.  I said so before the hire but the more I digest, I'll double down on that even more.

Hofffman once said Ron comes off like he's playing a HS coach in a movie and going through the motions to come off like that dude to the world.  Like he was playing a part.

Quinn comes off so authentic and detailed.  Ron was about platitudes and he showcased his own incompetence by making misstatements and contradicting himself so he wasn't even that good playing that role for the media.  As a dude I believe that Ron had strong principles and consistent ones that he lived by.  But as a coach, he wasn't consistent or seemed to have a clear vision or had any self awareness.

Quinn's takeaway from his first stint was how can he do things better the next time and obsessed on it.  He said he talked to 40 people about it.  Ron on the other hand didn't seem to think anything at all went wrong in Carolina.  Not only didn't he think he needed to learn new tricks and change -- if anything he thought his problem in Carolina was that he needed to put an even bigger stamp on his next team and run personnel too.  In retrospect the whole exercise was ridiculous.  And it hit me like a ton of bricks once Dan was gone which is Ron isn't actually good at his job and without Dan Synder overseeing the team it didn't matter to me to the same extent that our coach was a good person.  

I am not saying i know if Dan Quinn will be some miracle worker.  But I do believe Sheehan and Keim's reports that they heard Quinn killed it in his interviews.  They said that BEFORE the hire.   Quinn IMO has come off very impressive at the start. 

In that interview, Quinn also talked about Klingsbury, said he too learned from his stint at Arizona and that Klingsbury is supercompetitive.

But if I had to take away one thing that Dan Quinn stands out compared to the others we hired.  With the exception of Gibbs on his return, Quinn comes off through the roof level stoked to take on this job.  He seems to equally appreciate that he has a 2nd chance and also appreciate running THIS specific team.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, sinews said:

Yeah, I saw the MJ/Kliff thing the other day but not sure how much was discussed here. As to the article and this quote, it's difficult to glean a lot:

"However, Johnson stepped in to convince him to join the Commanders by offering a more lucrative contract." 

To me this very well could simply mean that MJ had an inside track to Kliff and was operating on behalf of Quinn and/or Peters. Given everything we know about this group, I'd be very surprised if MJ took it upon himself to land Kliff and there weren't prior discussion about doing so. 

"According to reports, he was the one that lured Kliff Kingsbury to Washington."

I know what the above sounds like but it doesn't necessarily mean MJ was acting alone. 

"According to reports, he (Magic Johnson) was the one that lured Kliff Kingsbury to Washington.."

You can say what you want about our so called "basketball owners", but Magic Johnson was absolutely brilliant in how he handled this matter-- complete out of the box planning combined with fearless execution. Jack Jent Cooke, would have been proud.

From Schefter,  "...Magic Johnson used every last iota of his considerable persuasive abilities and magnetic personality to convince Kingsbury to join the team."

This is what he said to close the deal...

Magic: "Kliff,  this is gonna surprise you about as much as it did me, but it just occurred to me that if you go ahead and sign a  contract to be the Commanders offensive coordinator, my best guess is, you would then be free to begin coordinating duties for the Commanders!"

P.S. We need to have Magic as our first point of contact when free agency opens next month.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"According to reports, he (Magic Johnson) was the one that lured Kliff Kingsbury to Washington.."

You can say what you want about our so called "basketball owners", but Magic Johnson was absolutely brilliant in how he handled this matter-- complete out of the box planning combined with fearless execution. Jack Jent Cooke, would have been proud.

From Schefter,  "...Magic Johnson used every last iota of his considerable persuasive abilities and magnetic personality to convince Kingsbury to join the team."

This is what he said to close the deal...

Magic: "Kliff,  this is gonna surprise you about as much as it did me, but it just occurred to me that if you go ahead and sign a  contract to be the Commanders offensive coordinator, my best guess is, you would then be free to begin coordinating duties for the Commanders!"

P.S. We need to have Magic as our first point of contact when free agency opens next month.

Magic is going to get Caleb to go full Eli/Elway. All of these players dream about becoming billionaires after they retire. Magic can sell them on that dream as a mentor. Kliff is not as susceptible as a free agent or rookie and he still closed him. Magic is going to be a massive bonus for us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He seems to equally appreciate that he has a 2nd chance and also appreciate running THIS specific team.

I get that sense too. I think he really feels this team is special and has amazing history. He will do everything he can to bring us back to prominence.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Magic is going to get Caleb to go full Eli/Elway. All of these players dream about becoming billionaires after they retire. Magic can sell them on that dream as a mentor. Kliff is not as susceptible as a free agent or rookie and he still closed him. Magic is going to be a massive bonus for us. 

Even if Caleb goes full Eli/John and Chicago decides to trade him; that doesn’t mean he’s coming here.

If Caleb refuses to play for the Bears; they aren’t going to just trade him to where he might want to go.  Also, if Caleb gets drafted by Bears and then traded; it will be for a ransom of picks.  I don’t see us doing that but some other qb desperate team; paying the Bears price.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Even if Caleb goes full Eli/John and Chicago decides to trade him; that doesn’t mean he’s coming here.

If Caleb refuses to play for the Bears; they aren’t going to just trade him to where he might want to go.  Also, if Caleb gets drafted by Bears and then traded; it will be for a ransom of picks.  I don’t see us doing that but some other qb desperate team; paying the Bears price.

I think we will know after scouting combine if they trade fields they are getting Williams. If they don't trade fields I think we get Williams. Bears will take Harrison. I don't know what the price will be to get him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I think we will know after scouting combine if they trade fields they are getting Williams. If they don't trade fields I think we get Williams. Bears will take Harrison. I don't know what the price will be to get him.

Bears are going Williams. This is like Rosen all over again. There’s no reason for them to keep fields. They gave the dude 3 years and he was meh most of the time. 

8 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Kliff Kingsbury will be the best OC we have had since Mcvay.

Well, that’s not hard:

Jay was a dumbass

Norv Jr was a fool

EB was a buffoon

The bar is literally lying on the ground.  It’s not a hard bar to get over.  

5 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Do you think Jerruh is getting pissed that we are trying to take a lot of his coaches?

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

It's all good Jerrah.  We might poach a few more D position coaches from ya once Mikey or RR or Ryan take the DC job.  

I asked this last week? How the hell do you spell this man’s name?  I always thought it was “Jerrah.”  Now I’m seeing “Jerruh.”

Im so confused.  

3 hours ago, FlyBigBeard said:

We need to be awarded picks from Kansas City for tampering with our coaches while they're hired. 

Nope.  It’s a bigger infraction.  They need to send us a player we get to name.  

I pick Mahomes.  Reunite him with his college coach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

Interesting, thanks.

I wonder how G. fits in the with the fact that they tried to put in contract language to make Murray study. 

It seems like Murray might be the type of guy who thinks “hard coaching” is the coach telling you everything you need to do (study these players and these defensive adjustments tonight) vs someone who is conscious and self motivated who just does the work.

Yeah, sounds like Kyler needed a Copper Kupp in his life.  This stuff really matters. A lot of these kids coming out of school need mentors to look up to to teach them the right way to go about being pros and maximizing their talent. Hopefully Maye has that in Howell… assuming Howell will still be here. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I asked this last week? How the hell do you spell this man’s name?  I always thought it was “Jerrah.”  Now I’m seeing “Jerruh.”

Im so confused.

Honestly, you can call him whatever you want. We'll all understand who you're talking about.

59 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Just like they used to say about Magic in the mid 1980's "It's Showtime"

3 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Keep in mind also, Caleb already has a history of following coaches he trusts to new venues. Had Riley remained in Oklahoma, CW would have stayed as well.

Instead, he entered the portal and followed Riley to $C. 

By all accounts CW has rapport with Kliffy so if he wants a soft landing into the pros, he could certainly attempt a similar transition.

Mike Tannenbaum thinks the Bears have ALL the leverage, but I disagree 110%. Not even sure how that guy worked in the NFL for so long...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, illone said:

Keep in mind also, Caleb already has a history of following coaches he trusts to new venues. Had Riley remained in Oklahoma, CW would have stayed as well.

Instead, he entered the portal and followed Riley to $C. 

By all accounts CW has rapport with Kliffy so if he wants a soft landing into the pros, he could certainly attempt a similar transition.

Mike Tannenbaum thinks the Bears have ALL the leverage, but I disagree 110%. Not even sure how that guy worked in the NFL for so long...

Peters need to have some nads, stand his ground along with Quinn and let someone trade up to #1 and take Caleb or let the Bears draft him and trade him after they select him.  I believe Quinn and Peters want their guy and Caleb isn't their guy.  

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If Caleb's willing to go full Eli, that means he tells those other teams to take a hike and he makes it clear exactly where he wants to go: home.  In fact, I would say the mere threat of him possibly doing that, i.e., possibly holding out, would be enough to scare off those other teams from even offering up that "ransom" of picks.  

Edited by skinsarethebest

13 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

This claim is useless without a pic. Jedi mind tricks.

2015-0414-magic-johnson-darth-vader-stor

Edited by FrFan
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, illone said:

I'm not a fan of this kind of mentality. NFL is about toughness, learning and adapting not about finding your comfort zone, instead it's about improving through tasting your danger zone. He can go to the Bears or wherever.

10e4c135-a9c6-491f-a54c-7e9fc92e1909_tex

Edited by FrFan