Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

i blame Sam for that more than anyone.

How? He didn't put the game plan together or keep calling the same plays that were not working. It wasn't until late 3rd quarter we started adjusting play calling.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

23 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Was it a good signing for the contract then. How was he better? I must have missed it, thought he did pretty good this year nothing stood out last year to me.

He caught more passes for more yards and a higher YPC. He also ran the ball a lot more, getting about 5 times as many yards. 

Seems pretty evident 2022 was a better year. 

22 minutes ago, MartinC said:

How? He didn't put the game plan together or keep calling the same plays that were not working. It wasn't until late 3rd quarter we started adjusting play calling.

He still put the ball at risk at a horridly bad pace. Sam MIGHT end up a starter in this league though. 

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He still put the ball at risk at a horridly bad pace. Sam MIGHT end up a starter in this league though. 

As noted, Kliff is good with developing QBs.  One of the many reasons Quinn wanted him, I believe.  Two that I can think of right off the bat and not in any particular order:  To work with Maye when we draft him and to try and develop Howell. :)  

Edited by RWJ

29 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'll add to this, I was listening to Phil Longo on Sheehan, Sam's old play caller. Comes off like a nice guy.  While he admitted Sam could do it better and his own nice way he obiliterated Bieineimy without saying his name.  In short, he thought the play calling did Sam no favors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In short, he thought the play calling did Sam no favors.

I think we all agree that EB was a clownshow. And I really dont hate Sam. But over half of his league leading interceptions were straight up awful. As bad as EB was he didnt throw the ball.

• Thumb down 1

17 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I'm not saying Sam did not make mistakes - mental and physical especially in the second half of the season . But in that first Giants game I put 90% of the blame on EB for an awful game plan and play calling. It was like it came as a surprise to him that Martindale blitzed a lot (which should have been front and centre in game planning) and he seemed to have no idea how to adjust when it kept happening.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, sinews said:

Just some choice passages from the EB wapo article for anyone without a subscription:

"As the season progressed, friction remained. Multiple people said there was often confusion on game days because offensive adjustments were not clearly communicated to players, and assistants didn’t seem to be on the same page. Behind the scenes, some players urged their position coaches to beg Bieniemy to run the ball more. The pass-heavy attack placed an extra burden on the offensive line and the quarterback — and when Washington’s offense did run, it averaged the seventh-most yards per carry in the NFL, 4.43 yards.

“I don't think they gave [Howell] a fair chance,” a player said. “I felt like we became a one-dimensional team.”

Another player blamed Rivera for not forcing Bieniemy to run the ball more or fixing the disconnect between the offensive and defensive staffs.

“We didn’t play complementary football all year long, and that came back to haunt us,” the player said.

Some players felt Bieniemy’s intense practices, though helpful in training camp, left them exhausted before games, and they believed the practices created a greater risk of injury. Bieniemy’s title of assistant head coach gave him greater authority than most coordinators, allowing him to script practices and alter players’ schedules during the week. One player felt Rivera delegated too much and failed to step in or make changes quickly when warranted.

“It was EB’s f---ing team,” another said.

Rivera, who declined to comment for this story, did meet with Bieniemy midway through the season to discuss his approach and suggest the offense run the ball more, a person with knowledge of the meeting said.

The Commanders opened the season with two wins, and many players said they welcomed Bieniemy’s changes, especially early on.

“The idea that people were rejecting any sort of change at all is just stupid,” one player said. “ … We needed to have some change.”

But Washington lost its next three games, a stretch that culminated in a 40-20 loss to the previously winless Chicago Bears at FedEx Field. Facing a massive early deficit, Bieniemy called 53 consecutive passes in that game. Howell was hit 11 times and took five sacks. Several players saw that moment as a turning point.

Two weeks later, the New York Giants used blitzes and man-to-man coverage to beat up Howell, who took six more sacks and 12 hits. McLaurin, who almost never critiques coaching decisions or play calls, said he thought the Commanders could’ve countered better."

[...] 

"After the season, when it had become clear Bieniemy’s time with the Commanders was ending, the team gave him permission to speak with Chiefs players ahead of the AFC championship game." 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/08/eric-bieniemy-commanders-what-happened/

Heard about this a on local radio today, what a dumpster fire!  And I actually was a proponent of EB around mid year due to Howell’s development.  I soured on him after he refused to run the rock, but I must admit, boy was I completely wrong. 😑 

• Like 1

EB was a terrible coach. The offense was at its best when Howell was riffing and creating out of system. There was no real structure or rhythm to what we were doing. Somehow we were WORSE than when we had Turner. At least with Turner he could scheme guys open, his biggest problem was getting cute at the worst time and lacking in-game feel. EB had the same problems while also having terrible scheme AND he was hard headed. 

So glad that clown is gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

49 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He caught more passes for more yards and a higher YPC. He also ran the ball a lot more, getting about 5 times as many yards. 

Seems pretty evident 2022 was a better year. 

You ready to resign him. @11.5 mil a year like the last 3 years.

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Ehhhh...Sam Howell and Davis Mills?

Not everything is about results especially when you're as young as he is.

He was highly regarded when we got him last year and now he seems even more highly regarded. 

This league knows who has the potential because they know things we don't know and clearly this guy has potential and when you fire most of your staff but are able to keep a young guy like this that means something.

To me it means this is a place people with skill and potential finally want to be instead of running away screaming. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Cole Popovich: Texans Assistant Interviews for Washington Commanders’ O-Line Coaching Role

https://bvmsports.com/2024/02/08/c-j-stroud-leads-houston-texans-to-dramatic-victory-over-cincinnati-bengals-in-week-10/

By Tyler Greenawalt via Texans Wire, 44m ago

Houston Texans assistant offensive line coach Cole Popovich could earn a promotion this offseason. Popovich interviewed for the offensive line coaching role with the Washington Commanders on Dan Quinn’s staff, according to KPRC’s Aaron Wilson. Popovich joined the Texans this year after one year coaching the offensive line at Troy University. He previously coached with the New England Patriots as an assistant coach from 2016 to 2020. “Great coach, great man,” a league source told Wilson of Popovich.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2016/7/24/12265030/new-patriots-coach-cole-popovich-is-a-great-fundamental-teacher-of-offensive-line-play

Popovich, with his history as a line coach, is a natural successor and can shadow Scarnecchia until retirement day.

“Having [Dante Scarnecchia] back at New England will be great in the education and growth of Cole Popovich,” Coach Hill said. “I feel [Popovich] will be an outstanding offense of line coach in the NFL for years to come.”

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2024/02/08/sources-texans-assistant-line-coach-cole-popovich-interviews-for-commanders-offensive-line-coach-job/#:~:text=Former Patriots assistant coach joined Texans last offseason&text=HOUSTON – Texans assistant offensive line,Quinn%2C according to league sources.

Popovich drew praise from the Texans’ offensive linemen this season for his work with offensive line coach Chris Strausser as the Texans improved to 12th in total offense under offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik after ranking 31st a year ago. The running game significantly improved and C.J. Stroud is the favorite to be named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I think we all agree that EB was a clownshow. And I really dont hate Sam. But over half of his league leading interceptions were straight up awful. As bad as EB was he didnt throw the ball.

We were almost always playing from behind and Howell tried to do too much. He forced throws that weren't there. He also didn't have the luxury of standing in the pocket very long before getting clobbered. If anyone deserves blame besides EB it's the awful OL who couldn't block or pick up blitzes.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Thumb up 2