Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

It's all good Jerrah.  We might poach a few more D position coaches from ya once Mikey or RR or Ryan take the DC job.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SkinsFanPA said:

Have some of you even bothered to read the very detailed articles on how the interview process went, and how Quinn wasn't an afterthought?

Or are you convinced, in your mind, with NO inside information into the situation at all, and with facts to the contrary at your fingertips, that the organization "settled on a retread"?

Good grief.  What a weird hill to die on.

I feel most people here have moved on, so not sure who's exactly "dying on that hill". But as someone who at least read some of those articles, not sure they say what you think they say. For example, this article:

https://theathletic.com/5242976/2024/02/05/commanders-head-coach-dan-quinn/?source=emp-shared-article

talks about how Washington held Johnson in high regard and implies he was still the favorite before pulling out. And then goes on to say a job offer was made to Macdonald. Even going so far as stating that the Commanders thought they were going to get Macdonald. It's basically saying Quinn was option #3 once Johnson pulled out and Macdonald went to the Seattle Seahawks. That kind of sounds like settling, even if they really, really like Quinn.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

That kind of sounds like settling, even if they really, really like Quinn.

I don't think that is settling. You know you may not get the guy that is at the top of the list so you put together several names that you are happy with and see how it plays out.

• Thumb up 1

So I'm not sure if this news source can be trusted... its msn after all, but not sure how some of us will feel that a ownership member may have been meddling in coach hiring decisions for Quinn and Peters....

NFL News: Magic Johnson makes his first big decision as co-owner of the Commanders (msn.com)

If you go through a list of names, that is say ten  or 20, and you pick 6 to make it to the next round, and 3 bow out, leaving 3, and you end up with #3 of those 3 is that settling?

You could have hired the other 3 of the 6, or anyone in the ten or 20?  I think saying its settling is to misunderstand the process, and how hiring works.

They likely would have been happy with a number of different people, but the combination of skills, leadership ability, communicatin, availablity etc..... ended up leading to Quinn.

If you want to depress yourself by continuing to regurgitate the 'settled' for 3rd best when there are hundreds of coaches they could have picked, that's on you.

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I gave Quinn a B.

Whitt an A.

Kingsbury an A.

For me.

Quinn: C+ Not a bad hire, just not pumped up about it.

Whitt: B+ Dallas wanting to keep him and having him on their short list means a lot to me.

KK: A- Great hire. There are questions about his O but his XP with young high value QBs is insane.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

Yeah, I saw the MJ/Kliff thing the other day but not sure how much was discussed here. As to the article and this quote, it's difficult to glean a lot:

"However, Johnson stepped in to convince him to join the Commanders by offering a more lucrative contract." 

To me this very well could simply mean that MJ had an inside track to Kliff and was operating on behalf of Quinn and/or Peters. Given everything we know about this group, I'd be very surprised if MJ took it upon himself to land Kliff and there weren't prior discussion about doing so. 

"According to reports, he was the one that lured Kliff Kingsbury to Washington."

I know what the above sounds like but it doesn't necessarily mean MJ was acting alone. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

For those interested you can take a quick poll on your initial impressions of our new coaching triumvirate.

They ask respondents to give a letter grade (A thru F) for each hire, Quinn, Whitt and Kingsburry.

Poll below

https://www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2024/2/6/24063475/washington-reacts-survey-the-commanders-coaching-hires

I gave Quinn a B.

Whitt an A.

Kingsbury an A.

Glad I was not the only one who could not get it to submit. 

I did fill them in and gave the following: 

Dan Quinn - B - His Atlanta tenure did not end well and you can see the argument that after his superstar staff left after the SB he did not fare well. However, he is very smart guy, has the right kind of leadship skills, is very well respected by both coaches and players and seems to be very self-aware - knows his mistakes and is determined not to repeat them. And sans the last game the Dallas defenses under him have been brutal. I am cautiously optomistic. Can't call this an A but his experience alone gives him a B. 

Kliff Kingsbury - C - My least enthusiatic hire. He has never actually been an Offensive Coordinater in the NFL, at least not that I can tell. He may have been responsible for the offence in AZ but he was the HC, meaning he was not able to put the kind of energy into it he should have. And it's not like that offense was great while he was there. But he seems to have some decent schemes and maybe given just the OC duties he can focus more and be successful. 

Joe Whitt Jr - B+ - I honestly knew nothing about him until word started circling he would be the hire. So this is all from what I have learned since then. He comes from coaching lineage (His father coached Auburn for 25 yrs, something I should have put together). He choose to follow Dan Quinn who has brought him with him from Atl then to Dal now here. The Dallas secondary last year was very good to great. They were disciplined and ball hawking. Yes, the last game did not go so well. But one game does not make a career - or it should not. He appears to be on the rise and his players will run through walls for him. His greatest endorsment for me is from Charles Woodson CB from GB who turned into a Pro Bowl CB under Joe Whitt -   "I 100% and whole heartedly vouch for Joe Whitt Jr. for any team out there needing to fill their staff.. Great teacher, and coach, that players can trust.. hard to find that combo,"

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Veretax said:

If you go through a list of names, that is say ten  or 20, and you pick 6 to make it to the next round, and 3 bow out, leaving 3, and you end up with #3 of those 3 is that settling?

You could have hired the other 3 of the 6, or anyone in the ten or 20?  I think saying its settling is to misunderstand the process, and how hiring works.

They likely would have been happy with a number of different people, but the combination of skills, leadership ability, communicatin, availablity etc..... ended up leading to Quinn.

If you want to depress yourself by continuing to regurgitate the 'settled' for 3rd best when there are hundreds of coaches they could have picked, that's on you.

I kind of see it like buying a house.  You have certain particular features that you are looking for.  You come up with a shortlist of, say, 5 homes.  A couple more get removed due to price (or location, etc.).  You’re down to three homes.  You visit each one.  Then, your realtor tells you that two of the three have contracts that have been submitted, and you find out that the owners have accepted the offers.  You’re down to the last one, and it’s a good fit for you, so you make an offer, and it’s accepted.

Call it whatever you want.  I’m good with how the process went from our side.  I’m happy with Quinn.

• Like 1

Been digesting this hire for the past few days and i think i like it.  For most of The man that shall not be named ownership he went for flash over substance.  Mary/spurrier/gibbs/ron.  This hire is substance over flash.  I like what i heard from Quinn during his presser being retrospective is a huge trait that leads to growth.  Constantly stating about staying in his lane forgot the exact quote.  His relationship with peters.  All giving me the warm and fuzzies.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Kliff Kingsbury will be the best OC we have had since Mcvay.

Not if he can't overcome his past inability/refusal to adjust to the defenses in the back half of the season that have adjusted to him.

Keim had an Arizona reporter who covered Kliff during his entire tenure in Arizona and said it was a major issue.  The players were extremely frustrated with Kliff because he kept saying in his pressers that they were adjusting when everyone could see they weren't.  Keim said that is was a question that will definitely be asked in a presser here with Kliff because it's a huge issue.

I can only hope that Quinn was aware of this problem (that has haunted Kingsbury during his college and NFL tenures as OC) when he hired him and the two of them had a long talk about it.  In that talk, we better hope that Kingsbury supplied Quinn with some very concrete answers as to why that will not happen here.  If those things did not take place, then that's a huge oversight on the part of Quinn and a bad, bad look, and a very possible future black eye. 

I truly hope Kingsbury has answers for this. I really don't want to have to fire another OC a few years from now because of that issue.  😧

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

I don't think that is settling. You know you may not get the guy that is at the top of the list so you put together several names that you are happy with and see how it plays out.

This describes a typical big boy org approach and outlook I was familiar with being in big (enough) boy hiring positions in the two careers I've had.

There certainly exceptions where you have a wunderkind or well known hot dog you're really focused on snaring, but such situations are more rare than not ime. But it is fun when you can poach a superstar from your competition. :evil:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, sinews said:

Yeah, I saw the MJ/Kliff thing the other day but not sure how much was discussed here. As to the article and this quote, it's difficult to glean a lot:

"However, Johnson stepped in to convince him to join the Commanders by offering a more lucrative contract." 

To me this very well could simply mean that MJ had an inside track to Kliff and was operating on behalf of Quinn and/or Peters. Given everything we know about this group, I'd be very surprised if MJ took it upon himself to land Kliff and there weren't prior discussion about doing so. 

"According to reports, he was the one that lured Kliff Kingsbury to Washington."

I know what the above sounds like but it doesn't necessarily mean MJ was acting alone. 

Yeah, Magic Johnson knew they had interviewed Kliff and had interest in him but this SI article kind of explains the situation best.

Per Rapaport, "This is as big as it gets for the Washington Commanders.  To look at the flop that happened when he was with the Raiders, my understanding is Magic Johnson, who is a limited partner with the Commanders, was actually the one to kind of step in and pull Kliff Kingsbury back and go, 'You know what, if this deal with the Raiders isn't perfect, maybe there is a home for you in Washington."

Meanwhile, hilarious

Edited by HigSkin
  • Haha 7
  • Thumb up 1

Was listening to two different reporters who covered Klingsbury

One gushed, thought Klingsbury was brilliant.  He was on Sheehan's show.  I have to relisten to that one because I was working and wasn't focused on the interview much.

The other was on Keim, that was more mixed but more positive than negative.

A.  Klingsbury in Arizona was stretched too thin.  He was basically the O coordinator, QB coach and HC.

B.  His passion is offense and he believes he's better suited to be an offensive coordinator

C.  He comes to work sometime between 3:30-4 am everyday.  He's obsessed with football. He will pore over plays around the NFL, college, anything and everything to get an edge

D.  His superpower is finding and developing QBs

E.  His weakness was defenses ultimately adjusted to his scheme and he didn't adjust back to it.  He thinks he's a smart dude and will learn from that experience

F.  he's a players coach, maybe too much so, nice guy who doesn't yell, etc.  Sort of the opposite it sounds like than Bieniemy

G.  His relationship went south with Murray when over the years Murray didn't feel like Klingsbury adjusted enough.  But the bigger thing is apparently Murray liked hard coaching.  Lincoln Riley would curse Murray out and get on Murray's case.  Supposedly Murray dug that and didn't like that Klingsbury wasn't that type of person who would do the same.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One gushed, thought Klingsbury was brilliant.  He was on Sheehan's show.  I have to relisten to that one because I was working and wasn't focused on the interview much.

A.  Klingsbury in Arizona was stretched too thin.  He was basically the O coordinator, QB coach and HC.

B.  His passion is offense and he believes he's better suited to be an offensive coordinator

C.  He comes to work sometime between 3:30-4 am everyday.  He's obsessed with football. He will pore over plays around the NFL, college, anything and everything to get an edge

E.  His weakness was defenses ultimately adjusted to his scheme and he didn't adjust back to it.  He thinks he's a smart dude and will learn from that experience

F.  he's a players coach, maybe too much so, nice guy who doesn't yell, etc.  Sort of the opposite it sounds like than Bieniemy

G.  His relationship went south with Murray when over the years Murray didn't feel like Klingsbury adjusted enough.  But the bigger thing is apparently Murray liked hard coaching.  Lincoln Riley would curse Murray out and get on Murray's case.  Supposedly Murray dug that and didn't like that Klingsbury wasn't that type of person who would do the same.

Nothing is more important than picking the right QB at 2 overall and based on what I've heard, I feel good about Kingsbury contributing to the evaluation and decision-making process along with Peters and the rest of the staff.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting, thanks.

I wonder how G. fits in the with the fact that they tried to put in contract language to make Murray study. 

It seems like Murray might be the type of guy who thinks “hard coaching” is the coach telling you everything you need to do (study these players and these defensive adjustments tonight) vs someone who is conscious and self motivated who just does the work.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sinews said:

I know this is ticky tack but we just call Earvin Johnson "Magic".  There is only one MJ and he ain't it... no matter how good he was.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Nothing is more important than picking the right QB at 2 overall and based on what I've heard, I feel good about Kingsbury contributing to the evaluation and decision-making process along with Peters and the rest of the staff.

Digesting all the narratives about Klingbury its not as unanimous as far as love like it is for Quinn and Whitt as for NFL observors but its still mostly positive.  But the one thing they all seem to agree on is he can scope out QB talent and develop a young QB -- that's his magic power.  And agree that's the key thing we need.

54 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Interesting, thanks.

I wonder how G. fits in the with the fact that they tried to put in contract language to make Murray study. 

It seems like Murray might be the type of guy who thinks “hard coaching” is the coach telling you everything you need to do (study these players and these defensive adjustments tonight) vs someone who is conscious and self motivated who just does the work.

The vibe I get about Klingsbury is he's not a hardass and won't get on players cases.   And Murray didn't seem like a self starter and in turn wanted someone to get on his case.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Maybe it's just semantics then. But to me, if you start with 7 options and one chooses to go elsewhere (Morris) and then you end up picking choice #3 of 6 because 1 and 2 pursue other options. That seems to be textbook settling (i.e. picking and option that's not your favorite, but best of what you can get - see https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/settle-for)

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Leaves me excited about him assisting in identifying and working with a soon to be great QB.

I do worry about the talk of not being able to adjust or change as coaches catch up to his processes. I feel we lived that with Turner, JDR and Ron I guess although Ron didn't do spit so doesn't deserve to even be mentioned with the working stiffs (even if they sucked)

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

Bieniemy was still under contract before the AFC Championship game (when this occurred). It's definitely a weird tweet to claim he was coaching another team while still under contract here. But I doubt anyone cares

We need to be awarded picks from Kansas City for tampering with our coaches while they're hired. 

2 hours ago, Veretax said:

Thanks for that.   I think you are probably right.  I liked Samuel in Carolina, but I'm not sure he did enough to earn another contract here, and there are other people to go There are so many Talented WRs in this draft too, I think we sign a FA and draft at least one.  Heck I'd not be surprised if we draft someone for the return game.

Samuell , on the contract he underperformed, big waist of money. last year was the only year I can remember him doing anything of note. Dynami also was a waisted draft pick. 

48 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Leaves me excited about him assisting in identifying and working with a soon to be great QB.

Me too.  Listening to the different narratives that's his wheel house

48 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I do worry about the talk of not being able to adjust or change as coaches catch up to his processes. I feel we lived that with Turner, JDR and Ron I guess although Ron didn't do spit so doesn't deserve to even be mentioned with the working stiffs (even if they sucked)

It's the concern laid out.  But four things I like on that

A.  His work ethic seems like old school Gibbs 1 version legendary

B.  He is by all accounts super sharp

C.  Those who covered him, at least some of them, think he will learn from that experience

D.  Running just the offense wll help him -- he doesn't have to run the full team

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's the concern laid out.  But four things I like on that

A.  His work ethic seems like old school Gibbs 1 version legendary

B.  He is by all accounts super sharp

C.  Those who covered him, at least some of them, think he will learn from that experience

D.  Running just the offense wll help him -- he doesn't have to run the full team

You are right. The work ethic is so incredibly inspiring and totally resembles Gibbs 1. 

• Like 1