Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just read that both Whitt and Kingsbury had dads who were football coaches.  Usually that means they lived and breathed football 24-7.

As Cousins would say, How do you like that?

So does Howell.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, profusion said:

From that article, here's one place where Adam and Josh had a clear, viable alternate direction to go:

The Commanders could have short-circuited their process the way the Falcons did and just gone with Raheem Morris, if I'm reading this correctly. Morris and Quinn seem like comparable candidates in this hiring cycle, and it'll be interesting to see how their tenures compare over the next few years. Morris starts with a better roster (apart from QB).

Otherwise, I can't find anything the Commanders reasonably could have done differently.

Like Morris more personally, but neither of them were ideal for me. I wanted an offensive guy, I think Kliff+Dan Q, puts us over the top there, but then again I can't remember their OC hire. 

3 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Like Morris more personally, but neither of them were ideal for me. I wanted an offensive guy, I think Kliff+Dan Q, puts us over the top there, but then again I can't remember their OC hire. 

Zac Robinson via LAR is the Atl OC.

13 minutes ago, sinews said:

I don't follow the national media all that closely although I respect Schefter. That said, does it feel like Schefter just really likes Harris, maybe even on a personal level? He just seems more positive toward the franchise since Harris took over and he's had our back on the BJ incident. 

I know he's a professional and all but it's something that comes through to me. Although of course it could always be the Snyder effect, can't underestimate the positive value of simply having him gone and out of sight. 

It's possible.  But regardless,  it doesn't change how unprofessional Johnson handled the situation. And considering what's come out about how everything unfolded, Schefter isn't the only one condemning Johnson for his behavior. 

Again, there's a right way to handle these situations and a wrong way. Johnson, unfortunately, chose the wrong way. And that was echoed by several anonymous executives across the league.

Personally,  it sounds to me that the young man was overwhelmed by the process and realized he just wasn't ready/equipped to handle being a HC yet. Just my take.

As far as Schefter going to bat for Harris, I see it as I'm sure many in the league do. They are thrilled to have the scumbag gone from the league and one of the cornerstone franchises. And more importantly,  it's now in the hands of a respected businessman and an ownership group of likewise individuals. 

Enjoy the positive feedback and defense of our organization.  It's been entirely too long since we've been privy to that type of praise.

HTTR!

Edited by skinsfan4128
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Its not just the timing on the flight that hurt Johnson, its that they found out he was canceling via twitter.

Couldn't even contact us first?

That would piss off any org.

They found out by text - apparently from his agent - while they were on the flight to Detroit.

Its fine that he decided he was staying in Detroit - fair enough for him to make up his mind that he didn't want the job (or any HC job this cycle). But he handled this poorly - I would have called Peters myself after he had landed and discussed it with him. Having a whole ownership and front office team on a flight to meet you and blowing them off by a text from your agent is just not the way to do this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Right not you can get Powers-Johnson as OG/OC and either Guyton or Paul at OT with our 2nds.  Both OTs have a few issues but Johnson Powers is solid!  

Not sure who will be there in the 2nd but I like Jordan Morgan or Guyton as possible 2nd round OTs and Troy Fautanu (moving inside to G from T) or Cooper Beebe as guards.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

After days of back and forth "anonymous source" leaks, the final verdict on the Ben Johnson vs the "basketball owners" story seems to have coalesced with Schefter's recent take below.

Hey now i only leak Facts!.....and in the absence of those i substitute my own reality as needed lol.

Edited by ANONYMOUS SOURCE.
  • Haha 4

Yeah, it sounds like Johnson needs to find a new agent. He's going to have a slightly more difficult time looking for a job next time, IMO. His agent should have told him to just do the interview anyway. Seems a little immature now.

31 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I wanted an offensive guy, too. However, once Ben Johnson flaked out, I'm not sure there was a Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay to be had in this hiring cycle. The OCs that were hired up to HC this year all seem awfully green, apart from Brian Callahan, and he's an unknown commodity having coached under Zac Taylor for several years. 

I'm coming around to the idea that Quinn might have been the best available coach in this cycle. His hiring doesn't bring much excitement by itself, but maybe it's time to stop winning the offseason and start winning the actual season. :D

Edited by profusion
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 5

37 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I would look to sign a vet G and OT but the free agent class does not look great. Tyron Smith is the standout but he's got that chronic back issue and is a big health red flag. Should be some quality option in the 2nd round for those two 2nd round picks we have.

I'd probably take a look at Jonah Williams from the Bengals. A RT but Only 27, played 100% of snaps last year. If not him maybe Mekhi Becton.. he came back from injury pretty well this year.

7 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah, it sounds like Johnson needs to find a new agent  psychoanalyst   . He's going to have a slightly more difficult time looking for a job next time, IMO. His agent should have told him to just do the interview anyway. Seems a little immature now.

Fixed it for you ;)

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Right not you can get Powers-Johnson as OG/OC and either Guyton or Paul at OT with our 2nds.  Both OTs have a few issues but Johnson Powers is solid!  

Lance Zs mock on nfl.com has both those guys going in the late first.  Might have to have a list of backup plans with our 2nd rounders unless we trade down in the first:

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-falcons-patriots-make-trades-to-land-qbs

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

I'd probably take a look at Jonah Williams from the Bengals. A RT but Only 27, played 100% of snaps last year. If not him maybe Mekhi Becton.. he came back from injury pretty well this year.

I'm concerned his stats are on the way down though, but who knows ?.

Max Sharping (27 yrs old) is a free agent and solid. His grade jumped from 56.7 in 2020 to 78.3 in 2023.

I was really impressed by the Bengals OL Williams, Sharping, Cappa during their playoff run in 2022, they were litteraly thumping down everything coming their way.

Edited by FrFan

5 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Lance Zs mock on nfl.com has both those guys going in the late first.  Might have to have a list of backup plans with our 2nd rounders unless we trade down in the first:

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-falcons-patriots-make-trades-to-land-qbs

Hmm.Five QBs and Fashanu going 18th as OL4 of nine.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:34 AM, profusion said:

A first-time HC candidate asking for the moon after just one year as a coordinator might have struck Josh the wrong way. I see him as a fairly risky hire, actually.

Gives off Norvitis vibes in terms of "mind for the gig but not mentality for the gig". Some guys are not leaders, and those guys need to be OC's and DC's instead. Walsh and Gibbs were great examples of seemingly nerdy guys who were great OC's AND gifted leaders despite the nerdy vibe. Definitely sounds like the Lions guy was cut from the same cloth as Norv (in terms of just not having the leadership gene/mentality). It's no sin, and it is best to avoid those gigs if you can't hack it, but eventually you have to test yourself to see. Norv spent too much time continuing to look for those gigs when he should have just been an OC period. But I suppose the $$$ back then versus Coordinator money was impossible to walk away from. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, formerly4skins said:

My assumption is that the only reason this walking embarrassment of a failed learn-on-the-job executive hasn't been jettisoned is that Harris didn't want to clean house on the business and football sides at the same time...and smarty chose to focus on football first.

Maybe.

I think for those that want Wright gone, I'd be rooting for snags with the stadium pursuit, stadium improvements and ticket sales.  Judging by Keim those are the three things that Harris cares about and by a mile more than any other.  

• Thumb up 1

As mentioned in a previous post, I generally don't know much about coaches outside of our own, so I haven't really spoken much about Quinn.

I was thinking about the 2013 coaching staff we talk about that had Kyle Shanahan, McVay, LaFleur, O'Connell and McDaniel with a final record of 3-13.  The team was run in a way that it really doesn't seem like success could be had by anyone.  Even while fresh in my mind, there is no part of me that thought Rivera would be this bad.

Having Peters in place, along with a traditional structure really is a decent starting place.  I'll decide on Quinn more on the results then anything else, but at least it appears he has better support than previous regimes at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sinews said:

I don't follow the national media all that closely although I respect Schefter. That said, does it feel like Schefter just really likes Harris, maybe even on a personal level? He just seems more positive toward the franchise since Harris took over and he's had our back on the BJ incident. In any case, it's quite the change compared to where we've been. 

I know he's a professional and all but it's something that comes through to me. Although of course it could always be the Snyder effect, can't underestimate the positive value of simply having him gone and out of sight. 

Shefter was buddy buddy with Brucey... I wont soon forget that.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/media/espn-adam-schefter-bruce-allen-emails/index.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sinews said:

Anyone want to guess as to the timeline for filling out the rest of the staffs on both sides? I imagine it's not quite as pressing as the coordinators, and you still have to wonder about hires from SF after the SB, but I was hoping to see some key people named this week. As others have previously mentioned, we'll all be looking closely at QB coach and OL. 

Further, and you can already see it emerging on the horizon but I have to think that offense will be the hot-button topic come training camp and regular season. Excited about the defense though, we're about to see how much of a difference good coaching makes. 

I'm guessing that with the Super Bowl being this Sunday there probably won't be any new hire announcements until next week, even though we're certainly working hard on it now.

Goodell likes to have the media focused like a laser on the game.

I would anticipate that 80 to 90% of our coaching staff will be  locked in by next Friday.

Hopefully, both of our new coordinators will have, get to know you, press conferences we can watch.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

They found out by text - apparently from his agent - while they were on the flight to Detroit.

Its fine that he decided he was staying in Detroit - fair enough for him to make up his mind that he didn't want the job (or any HC job this cycle). But he handled this poorly - I would have called Peters myself after he had landed and discussed it with him. Having a whole ownership and front office team on a flight to meet you and blowing them off by a text from your agent is just not the way to do this.

Nevermind....

Edited by Skinsfan1311

4 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

So with Ron Rivera now gone and probably not rehired as a coordinator Doofus Dan's streak is finally going to be finalized. This team has been so bad that no head coach hired by Snyder since Marty Schottenheimer has ever been hired as a HC or even a OC or DC position.

That is quite the achievement!

Didn't Jay Gruden hook on in Jax after being here? Or am I mistaken?

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yeah, it sounds like Johnson needs to find a new agent. He's going to have a slightly more difficult time looking for a job next time, IMO. His agent should have told him to just do the interview anyway. Seems a little immature now.

Not everyone follows their paid council. If he is the type then we really dogged a bullet. And he sounds like he is cause what agent would actually do this...it makes them look bad too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sinews said:

I don't follow the national media all that closely although I respect Schefter. That said, does it feel like Schefter just really likes Harris, maybe even on a personal level? He just seems more positive toward the franchise since Harris took over and he's had our back on the BJ incident. In any case, it's quite the change compared to where we've been. 

I think he knows Harris is going to be a foundational staple of this league once he’s settled in. He’s not stupid, he wants to be on the powerful owners’ good sides 

Also so much dirt about Snyder’s org probably came across his desk/phone. It probably is easy from the outside to appreciate people doing things the right way when you’re neck deep in the whole business across the league. 

Edit: also forgot Bruce was his #1 source. He’s seen the sleaze firsthand and been a part of it. Don’t think he had a great source during Rivera’s time. Probably trying to cultivate new relationships now.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1