Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Setting aside Kelly, something I’ve probably mentioned once or twice a year for some time now - the benefits of running uptempo practices.  You can (roughly) double the amount of reps in a practice.  With about 55 spring/summer practices (I think?), running 90 reps per practice rather than 45ish, you’re talking about (again, roughly) 2500+ additional reps.  Easy to see how that could be a huge benefit to a young qb, to the backup qbs (who often get minimal reps), and of course to any rookies and free agents brought in.  That’s not to mention how the increased reps can help with installing a new offense/defense, and the effects on player fitness.  It’s implied, but I’m going to spell it out anyway… those additional reps could be a big help with getting olineman more used to each other, ie fast tracking the continuity aspect of oline play (not to mention other units).

Back to Chip Kelly, I’m not a fan of the man, of how he came across in his first stint in the NFL.  The tweet earlier suggesting he’s altered his scheme at the college level (and its relevancy to the NFL) is a positive.  Serving as an OC vs a HC could help reel in some of his excesses, but that’s speculation.  I guess if I had to weigh bringing him in vs a young guy that hasn’t had to craft/coach/call plays for the offense, well… there’s risk in both avenues.  I wouldn’t be thrilled about Kelly, but the potential of uptempo practices (as well as game usage) is really appealing to me.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I can't remember who it was, maybe it was @Skinsinparadise mentioned that the vibe inside the building is that the chances of keeping EB are very slim....I think due to issues that us on the outside don't know about.  Like I said I may be way wrong and can't remember who here posted that and apologize if I'm mentioning the wrong person 

Yeah Keim has talked about it some, but more Sheehan hit hard that he'd be very surprised if Bieniemy is a coordinator here this year.  He hinted that there are stories that happened relating to him last season that fans don't know about but media knows.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Keim has talked about it some, but more Sheehan hit hard that he'd be very surprised if Bieniemy is a coordinator here this year.  He hinted that there are stories that happened relating to him last season that fans don't know about but media knows.

That eases my mind a little for sure. If I had to settle for Chip Kelly over EB then I'm cool with that,  but still Kelly is wayyy down on my list lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CommandB11 said:

Im thinking Brian Griese, Klay Kubiak or Anthony Lynn

You realize that Lynn was fired midseason by the Lions in his last OC stint and then Ben Johnson took the offense over and turned it around right?

Why would you discount Fleury? Doesn’t it tell you something he has gotten considered for multiple OC gigs despite spending most of his career on the defensive side of the ball. I think he could be a more experienced Slowik given the prior experience on the defensive side of the ball and the time spent in football research (many here probably don’t know Slowik worked at PFF for a bit)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

This part I'm not so sure about.  Maybe not another NFL job, but I saw that he was interested in the Boston College job.  If the right college job comes along, he would leave an OC job here.  He's ambitious and clearly liked being a head coach.

It's possible but I think Chip wants out of the college game. 

The reason Kelly is willing to flee the NCAA  for the NFL is because of the way that NIL money has radically changed the entire landscape of college football.

Without a source of big money and the will to freely dish it out to recruits you have no chance to compete at the highest level.

Even if you manage to get lucky and recruit some unknown diamond in the rough from out in Iceville North Dakota you can lose him the following year when he gets offered big bucks to switch to another school.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

6 minutes ago, method man said:

You realize that Lynn was fired midseason by the Lions in his last OC stint and then Ben Johnson took the offense over and turned it around right?

Why would you discount Fleury? Doesn’t it tell you something he has gotten considered for multiple OC gigs despite spending most of his career on the defensive side of the ball. I think he could be a more experienced Slowik given the prior experience on the defensive side of the ball and the time spent in football research (many here probably don’t know Slowik worked at PFF for a bit)

I do. Im not discounting Fleury. The question was who else besides Fleury.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So if we did hire Chip Kelly, one of my biggest gripes of the offense going back … literally my entire life, would come to an end: 

We never use up tempo.  Ever.  

Gibbs I didn’t, but he gets a pass because 3 Lombardi’s.  

Then, Norv, Marty, Gibbs II, Zorn, Shanahan, Jay, Junior and EB have all been allergic to it.  

The number of times I scream “TEMPO!!!!” or “HURRY THE **** UP” during games is insane.

So, while Chip would not be my first choice, we’d get some tempo for the first time in 50 years and that would make me smile.  

There's going to be fake injuries on the field to the opposing defense I'm looking at you NYG..

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Someone here mentioned Keim and Bram, I just listened to that segment.

A.  Bram said everyone he talked to around the league called it a homerun hire

B.  Keim said a similar thing.  Including him getting a text from another FO saying in caps great hire

C.  They politely goofed on the fans who are so adamently opposed to the hire.  Saying its a major gap between the league perception -- players, personnel guys, people who played against Quinn and with Quinn who love the hire versus some of the fans who hate it.  They referenced Fassel but Keim goes that was apples to oranges too because people he talked to around the league weren't raving to him abour Fassel.  But they did rave about Quinn.

D.  They think its a good sign that this FO ignored fan sentiment.  Dan might have caved.

E.  Doubled down that Ben wasn't a slam dunk, MacDonald either as hires.  Ben didn't interview well the first time.  They were headed to interview him again to get more info when he bailed on the interview.   Neither were offered a deal.  He heard doubts around the league with some about Johnson and also MacDonald, not so much about Quinn

F. Keim had some doubts that they'd hire Chip Kelly but seemed to suggest he might get an interview but didn't think he'd get the job if he had to guess.  As someone else mentioned, he mentioned Brain Fleury as a possibility

G. Quinn was telling people he would hire Joe Whitt but Keim doesn't think that's a done deal

Quinn was telling people he would hire Joe Whitt but Keim doesn't think that's a done deal

Damn, I thought that was already secured. It would be a big loss if we miss out on Whitt. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

45 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, so they did it 4 times in 10 years. 

It was not what they did normally.  

Buffalo with the K-gun did it.

Gibbs wouldn’t even run 

No.  He’s failed spectacularly as an NFL coach twice from the people management perspective.  He’s not getting a third shot.  

He could be a Spagnolo though: insanely good coordinator who sticks with a team for ages.  

That is, if he’s good.  He might be terrible.  I don’t know.  I’m more open to it than @KDawg.  But I think it’s going to be somebody from the SF staff and I think it’s already done.  But Harris runs a tight ship and theee isn’t a leak.  

You’re probably right, though teams have made allowances for offensive minded coaches provided some concessions are made (e.g., personnel control).

15 hours ago, bearrock said:

Then you should try googling whether an internal interview qualify for one of the two required Rooney Rule minority interviews

you honestly obtuse enough to believe that FOs and coaches don't agree to wink nod contracts prior to satisfying all the legal requirements prior to an 'official' offer?  what are you 12?

I think we are so used to leaks, dumb decisions, etc with our FO we are getting played by agents. Since we aren’t leaking stuff, all that is out there is things from agents (Chip Kelly). They still use us to drum up interest and leverage. Then, 2 weeks from now when Kelly is signed by someone else, we hear that we didn’t want him. We are so used to lies that we don’t even realize this is completely likely, and instead act like we screwed up somehow.

The Ben Johnson stuff is a great example. We liked him, we liked a few candidates though.

14 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I want one w/ legalized "yo mama" jokes.

I got bangers and am capable of hurting feelings.

I got a "Yo Mama" joke book from 1988, I've been waiting to have a reason to dust off.....

I want ALL smoke if that thread gets created LOL

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, so they did it 4 times in 10 years. 

It was not what they did normally.  

Buffalo with the K-gun did it.

Gibbs wouldn’t even run shotgun.  

Again, that’s all absolutely fine because 3 Lombardi’s, 4 SB appearances, 5 conference game appearances.  

But Gibbs I didn’t run tempo much.  But they did everything so well it didn’t really matter.  

No.  He’s failed spectacularly as an NFL coach twice from the people management perspective.  He’s not getting a third shot.  

He could be a Spagnolo though: insanely good coordinator who sticks with a team for ages.  

That is, if he’s good.  He might be terrible.  I don’t know.  I’m more open to it than @KDawg.  But I think it’s going to be somebody from the SF staff and I think it’s already done.  But Harris runs a tight ship and theee isn’t a leak.  

You must have missed my post earlier. It’s okay, we can’t read everything.

I’m super amped for Kelly.

Woo. Hoo.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

I hoping I’m right and there’s sarcasm in there cause I’m not liking Chip Kelly at all, to many proven young play callers out there in the NFL.. names have been mentioned and many more we don’t even know… 

And each one has been already interviewed for OC for other teams they just can't name them until the end of the season. 

The overwhelming majority of new owners aren't "football guys" so to speak, they come from varying backgrounds usually associated with longtime family money but pretty rarely was that money made in football, they all have to learn football as they go.

Having a background in professional sports is a huge leg up not a hindrance. 

Now if harris was acting as general manager and hired magic Johnson to be his coach that would be a significant problem but as i see it the experience they have is very advantageous for us.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Honestly, Johnson just seems like a prick who is way too full of himself right now. Dude, you've been running an above average offense for two years now. Settle yourself down, sir 🙄

Hopefully the league humbles him sooner than later. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Yeah, beta male Ben is definitely on my **** list now.....You go against the MOB, we at chu.....**** the Lions or any team he coaches. Next time we play his team, get to the Quarterback and sweep the leg Johnny.....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21