Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We better hurry because Kubiak and Fleury already have interviews lined up. 

Agreed.  I just responded back to @Skinsinparadise and both candidates via beat reporters/writers have interview or the team(s) are working on getting a deal done (Saints with Kubiak) with both.  This is why the announcement and waiting so long with Quinn put us under the bus somewhat because of waiting so long whoever that falls on and again I have to give the edge to Peters since he's worked with the 9ers the past several years.  Bevell being a somewhat dark horse but like most I want a young up a comer OC.   

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching the PFF guys talk about Kelly.  They love him.  I don't have an opinion on it yet.  But lol it feels a bit like the Quinn hire if they go that directon, loved by some nationally, not so much with some fans.  I'll trust whomever they hire, am not presuming I know better.  Quinn hired Kyle when he wasn't cool, from what I read it wasn't popular at the time with Atlanta fans

But Kyle was still young and that's the direction I hope we go in but in the end it's up to Quinn and he knows how to recruit great coaches and a total coaching staff.  

A few random thoughts:

- Chip Kelly as an OC might actually be intriguing.  There is no question he’s creative and his offenses are generally very productive. Also, he’s not getting another NFL HC job, so the issue of him leaving for another HC job if our offense is successful is lessened.  He might go back to college, but he could provide creativity and stability.  He’s just an “interesting” personality.  But Quinn might be able to navigate that.  

- Has Frank Reich been hired anywhere? I’m somewhat surprised he hasn’t gotten run as anything.  He might be an OC candidate as well, maybe?

- Keim tripled down that the interview on Tuesday with Johnson was not to offer him a job, but to get more information.  This means he’s been told this probably by both sides because he verified everything 7 times.  He said it directly in his spot with Bram on Friday. 

- I kindof wish Jon Allen would shut up.  

- I think there’s going to be a huge flurry or announcements Monday.  But full coaching staff might not be one of them.  Departures might be.  

- An OC off of SF’s staff would make a ton of sense given the Kyle/Quinn/Smith connections.

- Amazingly, FA is a month and a half away.  It’s going to be a wild ride the next few weeks.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Someone here mentioned Keim and Bram, I just listened to that segment.

A.  Bram said everyone he talked to around the league called it a homerun hire

B.  Keim said a similar thing.  Including him getting a text from another FO saying in caps great hire

C.  They politely goofed on the fans who are so adamently opposed to the hire.  Saying its a major gap between the league perception -- players, personnel guys, people who played against Quinn and with Quinn who love the hire versus some of the fans who hate it.  They referenced Fassel but Keim goes that was apples to oranges too because people he talked to around the league weren't raving to him abour Fassel.  But they did rave about Quinn.

D.  They think its a good sign that this FO ignored fan sentiment.  Dan might have caved.

E.  Doubled down that Ben wasn't a slam dunk, MacDonald either as hires.  Ben didn't interview well the first time.  They were headed to interview him again to get more info when he bailed on the interview.   Neither were offered a deal.  He heard doubts around the league with some about Johnson and also MacDonald, not so much about Quinn

F. Keim had some doubts that they'd hire Chip Kelly but seemed to suggest he might get an interview but didn't think he'd get the job if he had to guess.  As someone else mentioned, he mentioned Brain Fleury as a possibility

G. Quinn was telling people he would hire Joe Whitt but Keim doesn't think that's a done deal

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, KDawg said:

Panic. Chip Kelly. Dan Quinn okay. Parsons like Quinn. Panic. People upset about people panic. And pancakes.

I don’t know why we didn’t go with waffles over pancakes! Red flags! Fire Dan Peters!

• Haha 2

So if we did hire Chip Kelly, one of my biggest gripes of the offense going back … literally my entire life, would come to an end: 

We never use up tempo.  Ever.  

Gibbs I didn’t, but he gets a pass because 3 Lombardi’s.  

Then, Norv, Marty, Gibbs II, Zorn, Shanahan, Jay, Junior and EB have all been allergic to it.  

The number of times I scream “TEMPO!!!!” or “HURRY THE **** UP” during games is insane.

So, while Chip would not be my first choice, we’d get some tempo for the first time in 50 years and that would make me smile.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 8

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I read the words very carefully.  "other OC candidates to watch including TE Fleury.  Adam Peters knows them well."  We might still be in the mix for Kubiak and I get the Bevell connecction but who would be "other candidates"?  

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IF we could get a 2nd at least and possibly more I wouldn't be against trading Jon Allen. 

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

And there is one thing Sam showed last year that doesnt get much discussion - he showed he can throw on the run. Make difficult throws. His first TD pass of the year to BRob running out of bounds twisting his body sidearming it was all the proof I needed that he had indeed studied Mahomes after we brought in EB and practiced what he saw. He was stepping out of bounds when the catch was made. Watch the link. Logan still thinks that pass was to him. This the QB thread??

This is what the short QBs HAVE to ace. Call it Mahomianisming.

image.png.1214b8c7a9303ca18d8ee1d56f0e281c.png

Randy, are you trying to make the case to give Sam another chance?

After initially shaking my head in utter disgust  when I first heard Chip Kelly mentioned as a possible OC candidate I decided to do some research on him and I'm now starting to warmup a bit to it.

I think, at a minimum, bringing him in for a serious interview is a good idea.

A few things to consider:

1. Chip Kelly took over a 4-12 Andy Reid coached team and led them to two consecutive 10-6 seasons.

2. Replacing a legend (Reid) is one of the hardest things to do in sport.

Kelly dealt with both direct and passive aggressive (anonymous leaks to the media) resistance from players, who were uncomfortable with his admitedly unorthodox methods.

After years of doing things Andy's way, players just didn't want, or see the need to change.

That certainly won't be the case here coming off a year of sleeping with Bieniemy.

3. Chip certainly has his flaws, but he is unquestionably a brilliant offensive innovater, a gifted evaluator, teacher and developer of quarterbacks, and an exceptional play caller.

4. Many of the issues that plagued Kelly in his first go round as a head coach came down to erratic team leadership and overall communication.

This will not be within his purview, in his more limited role, as the team's offensive coordinator.

Dan Quinn, as our new "leader of men" will (fingers crossed) deal with those responsibilities himself.

Chip Kelly will be liberated to focus solely  on what he does best-- offensive preparation during the week and game day playcalling.

5. At 60 years of age, Kelly is highly unlikely to be scooped up and promoted to head coach by another team.

If we draft a quarterback we can expect several years of system and coordinator continuity to better aid his development.

5. Most of all, Dan Quinn, according to media reports, wants Chip as his offensive coordinator.  

Deference should generally be given to the head coach, when it comes to staffing. Particularly, a veteran head coach whose  stellar reputation for picking and developing assistant coaches was one of the reasons you hired him in the first place.

The Commanders chose Quinn, in large part, for his leadership and judgement.

Are we now going to deny him his apparent first choice, for the most critical member of his staff?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I read the words very carefully.  "other OC candidates to watch including TE Fleury.  Adam Peters knows them well."  We might still be in the mix for Kubiak and I get the Bevell connecction but who would be "other candidates"?  

Im thinking Brian Griese, Klay Kubiak or Anthony Lynn

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Someone here mentioned Keim and Bram, I just listened to that segment.

A.  Bram said everyone he talked to around the league called it a homerun hire

B.  Keim said a similar thing.  Including him getting a text from another FO saying in caps great hire

C.  They politely goofed on the fans who are so adamently opposed to the hire.  Saying its a major gap between the league perception -- players, personnel guys, people who played against Quinn and with Quinn who love the hire versus some of the fans who hate it.  They referenced Fassel but Keim goes that was apples to oranges too because people he talked to around the league weren't raving to him abour Fassel.  But they did rave about Quinn.

D.  They think its a good sign that this FO ignored fan sentiment.  Dan might have caved.

E.  Doubled down that Ben wasn't a slam dunk, MacDonald either as hires.  Ben didn't interview well the first time.  They were headed to interview him again to get more info when he bailed on the interview.   Neither were offered a deal.  He heard doubts around the league with some about Johnson and also MacDonald, not so much about Quinn

F. Keim had some doubts that they'd hire Chip Kelly but seemed to suggest he might get an interview but didn't think he'd get the job if he had to guess.  As someone else mentioned, he mentioned Brain Fleury as a possibility

G. Quinn was telling people he would hire Joe Whitt but Keim doesn't think that's a done deal

Hopefully, Whitt but there is Harris too.  If we can do the daily double it would be both Whitt and Harris but that will be tough.  Fleury would be good hire as I've seen and heard good things about him.  Let it happen if we can't get Kubiak.  :)  

2 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Im thinking Brian Griese, Klay Kubiak or Anthony Lynn

Pass on AL but between Quinn and input from Peters we will be good. 

Kelly was just another case of Peter principle with the Eagles and 49ers. He was even labelled "dictator" by Eagles players. Maybe he'll pan out as an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Kelly was just another case of Peter principle with the Eagles and 49ers. He was even labelled "dictator" by Eagles players. Maybe he'll pan out as an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

Count me in the camp that I hope this is just a rumor and we don't hire him. Hopefully, we won't have to ever find out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

There is another benefit of having Chip as OC. We might get a young, hotshot OC with all kinds of pedigree and if he works wonders with whomever is the QB, teams will be coming after him from everywhere at the end of next season to poach him for their teams....just as we were trying to do with Ben Johnson.

With Chip Kelly, we wouldn't have that problem. If he hits on our QB and turns him into another Stroud, for example, other teams wouldn't be coming after Chip to make him a HC the way they would with other OC's.

There's a saying, You don't stop eating for fear of chocking.

That applies here. You don't pass on a young hotshot OC because you're afraid someone may poach him. Do what's best for the team now. In fact, assemble the best group of coordinators you can so if the OC does leave at some point, you can promote from within.