Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Adam Schefter on Sheehan just now.

Quinn was hot in the running the whole time.  He believes they like that Quinn has previous coaching experience considering the context of the organizations (new GM, etc)

Among these candidates they got more people backing-supporting Quinn than any other candidate with unsolicited calls, people they were surprised to even hear from. An unusual amount of support to quote Schefter.

Ben Johnson after meeting with Seattle he realized that the idea that he wasn't excited or perhaps ready to be a HC.  He suggested that he's the type of personality that might not dig change.

Yep, we needed a grey beard head coach.  We've got a new ownership group, a young first time GM, and we're about to have a rookie QB.  Someone in the leadership circle needed some actual experience in order to set standards for the organization.  In hindsight, Ben Johnson was never going to be that guy.

I like Quinn.  I like him way more than Rivera at the time of his hiring, and I like this org chart about a million times more.  I'm not going to jump off the bandwagon on this build unless they do something idiotic at QB.  We'll see what happens in April, but I don't think they will.  That part of the equation is the biggest no-brainer choice for us to make IMO.  GM and HC were as tricky as they were critical, and not at all obvious decisions to a bunch of dummies on the outside like all of us in here.  Bob Myers is really good.  Harris and the other owners have done well this offseason.

• Like 16
  • Thumb up 3

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yep, we needed a grey beard head coach.  We've got a new ownership group, a young first time GM, and we're about to have a rookie QB.  Someone in the leadership circle needed some actual experience in order to set standards for the organization.  In hindsight, Ben Johnson was never going to be that guy.

I like Quinn.  I like him way more than Rivera at the time of his hiring, and I like this org chart about a million times more.  I'm not going to jump off the bandwagon on this build unless they do something idiotic at QB.  We'll see what happens in April, but I don't think they will.  That part of the equation is the biggest no-brainer choice for us to make IMO.  GM and HC were as tricky as they were critical, and not at all obvious decisions to a bunch of dummies on the outside like all of us in here.  Bob Myers is really good.  Harris and the other owners have done well this offseason.

Couldn't agree more with this summary, after much reflection on what we genuinely needed for the franchise at this stage.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Let's get something straight, and I shouldn't have to even say it.

We DO NOT hire anyone named: 

Chip

Tad

Biff

Skip

Show some respect for yourselves.

I feel attacked.

Edited by Bifflog
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Agreed. Chip Kelly isn’t even my top 2-3 options lol.

So you chose a random ass hill to die on that you didn't really even believe in in the first place?

This place is ****ing weird.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

So you chose a random ass hill to die on that you didn't really even believe in in the first place?

This place is ****ing weird.

My argument of Chip Kelly did a decent job with crappy quarterbacks stands. Mike Vick post jail, Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez and rookie Nick Foles. He bit off more than he could chew in Philly. We have seen it here with plenty of coaches. This doesn’t mean he cannot run a decent offense and not a good candidate. Even when you think back to his college days, he over inflated Marcus Mariotta. I have more reservations about the person he is than his football IQ.

I can also still prefer a young coach from the Shanahan tree. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Very odd quote.

Shula was great with the Colts. 71-23-4? How is that remotely close to Quinn's .500+1 record?

Reid was great with the Eagles. 130-93-1

Coughlin was great with the Jags. 68-60. yeah it went south eventually? 36-12 with Brunell with a functioning arm though from '97-'99. 

Just odd. I do agree some coaches can bounce back, Bellichick and Shanny (admittedly the Raiders situation was a ---- show), and Carroll, nice examples, just avoid piling in contrary examples. Shula was fabulous in Baltimore, Reid was great in Philly until McNabb fell apart, Coughlin was fine until Brunell and Boselli went sideways on him. 

I'm curious about Seattle's candidate hierarchy.  I think it's odd that they didn't even interview Mike MacDonald before this week, then in two days they make the decision to hire him.  That suggests to me that Ben Johnson really was their first choice candidate, and if Dan Quinn was their fallback option, they got spooked by the mutual interest between him and us.  I think we were further along in negotiating with him and were more serious about him than Seattle was.  I think they rushed the process with MacDonald to hide the fact he wasn't really on their radar to begin with.  Giving him a sixth year is another sign they were desperate, he shouldn't have had that kind of leverage over them.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

Well the Quinn hire has settled with me. Don’t love it, don’t hate it. I see the merits of what he can bring in terms of turning this disaster zone around. He’s going to build a very strong defensive staff too.

The make or break is going to be the obvious - OC and QB decisions.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

My issue isn’t necessarily hiring Quinn, it was hiring him over the other available options (eg Vrabel, BB). 

We seem to have put all our eggs in the Adam Peters basket.  Hope he’s good…

This new ownership doesn’t leak to much out.But this fan base definitely jumps to it’s own conclusions.Let the truth be told and there it is.Good listen and lesson.Believe in the process something we haven’t know for 25yrs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

So far I’ve loved Peters and Whitt. Didn’t like Quinn. Would hate Kelly. 

I expect Peters, Quinn and Whitt will work well together so am good with those decisions. I look forward to seeing the personnel moves as we hit FA then the draft.

I am not a member of the Kelly fan club. The first time I heard Chips name associated with Washington I cringed. This reminds me of a Ron move. It's the first time I have made any Ron comparisons through the hiring process and never thought it with Quinn. They wanted a strong leader and got one in Quinn. I sure hope they already have their OC and are just waiting to announce whether today or if they need to hold off until after whoever it is if free after the Super Bowl. I do admit I was very intrigued by MacDonald as HC and to a slightly lesser extent Weaver. 

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

2024: The Dan Quinn/Jabril Cox reunion Tour. Get you tickets now!

That's actually a solid point. He was a decent prospect pre-injury.

One possible sticking point with it though, Cox had an option between Dallas and Washington and chose to leave Dallas and DQ

So more info is starting to come out, doesn't make me feel any better yet, but I'm willing to let things unfold for a bit before I put this hiring in the same category as the Carson Wentz trade (I'm trying to be objective...I really am.). Still doesn't look like a win in my eyes (at this time) and some of the ways some people are trying make this an easier pill to swallow really need to work on their bed side manner. I don't know who would be happy or excited about this hire, so lets not pretend we all should be baking a cake right now. We were promised young, fresh and new...we got none of that.

Now, some of you are trying to say that we need Quinn as a bridge hire until we can get a young, fresh, coach...how is this completely different from Rivera? The coaches involved may not be exactly the same, but this situation seems quite familiar.

8 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

So more info is starting to come out, doesn't make me feel any better yet, but I'm willing to let things unfold for a bit before I put this hiring in the same category as the Carson Wentz trade (I'm trying to be objective...I really am.). Still doesn't look like a win in my eyes (at this time) and some of the ways some people are trying make this an easier pill to swallow really need to work on their bed side manner. I don't know who would be happy or excited about this hire, so lets not pretend we all should be baking a cake right now. We were promised young, fresh and new...we got none of that.

Now, some of you are trying to say that we need Quinn as a bridge hire until we can get a young, fresh, coach...how is this completely different from Rivera? The coaches involved may not be exactly the same, but this situation seems quite familiar.

Stop conflating chatter on the internet or even journalists with team positions.  The team never talked about young, fresh, or new.  

Also even if some posters are talking about bridge hires, I would seriously doubt that anyone associated with the team has any interest in bridge hires.  No one has to like the hire, but some of the discussion surrounding it makes gameday threads look like roundtable with Nobel Laureates.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 3

It sounds like Ben Johnson wasn't ready to be a head coach.  There was a lot of smoke to that fire and his decision to pull his candidacy (and the way he did it) confirmed that.  He might not be head coach material period, although he is still a talented young coach with a lot of career ahead of him.

We dodged a bullet with him and should actually be grateful that he is self aware enough to pull out because he knew it wasn't a good fit.  I've been thinking about the stories of Robert Saleh and Brian Daboll and Hue Jackson and how their team culture was just atrocious because they were unfit and unready to be head coaches.  Their insecurity becomes metastisized and they became team cancers even though they were each super impressive coaches at a lower level.  It's the kind of experience where their careers never really recover either.  The job is not for everyone, and timing matters.  It's really clear in hindsight that this was not the time for Ben Johnson to make the leap.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I'm curious about Seattle's candidate hierarchy.  I think it's odd that they didn't even interview Mike MacDonald before this week, then in two days they make the decision to hire him.  That suggests to me that Ben Johnson really was their first choice candidate, and if Dan Quinn was their fallback option, they got spooked by the mutual interest between him and us.  I think we were further along in negotiating with him and were more serious about him than Seattle was.  I think they rushed the process with MacDonald to hide the fact he wasn't really on their radar to begin with.  Giving him a sixth year is another sign they were desperate, he shouldn't have had that kind of leverage over them.

One of the theories I had when it went down was the interviews didn't go well.   Now we got three different reports from national reporters that it didn't go well.

In contrast, heard that MacDonald interviewed very well.  So that juxtapostion for Seattle of back to back interviews with those two might have shifted it with them.  I find it maybe relevant that Johnson dropped out after that Seattle interview and he gave it enough time to get feedback on it.   

I don't buy what some here seem to which is personality doesn't mean much and that we are simply hiring the best coordinator and giving him a higher title, case closed.  And all this leadership, adminstrative, motivation, culture building stuff is nonsense or a minor part of the job.   I don't know 100% of that's what some think but I've read plenty on this thread about these coaching prospects purely as playcallers.  And with some when I mention leadership, it gets shrugged off. 

The thing is for eons people on this board used to think the reverse.  Hey so many good playcallers suck as head coaches, leadership matters more.  But over time, this seems to have reversed with some.  I blame this some on Rivera because he was touted for his personality but especially with the power of hindsight, his version of it was being a nice guy and liking to surround himself with nice players and nice people.    That's not IMO real leadership in the context of building a winning culture.  Also, he had some negative traits too -- scapegoating, complacency, so much excuse making and I got the vibe this wasn't a hard working staff compared to others.  I could more easily argue Ron's personality-leadership was a negative not a positive in the context of winning

7 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah am good with Quinn.  He wasn't my #1 choice.   But as I joked a few days back, even though he wasn't my #1 choice I likely have put more pro Quinn propaganda on the thread than anyone.  It was hard for me not to because I like to share what I hear in podcasts, etc and as I mention no one got praise to the extent as Quinn. That dude is billed around the league as a great coach.  Whether he is or not that remains to be seen.  But I can't argue against that he's hailed around the league as a stud even though the fans here aren't jazzed about him.

Again, I think Rivera has made this hire less sexy feeling to say the least.  But as Craig Hoffman said yesterday the praise around the league about Ron versus Quinn was quite different.  For Ron most of it was that he's a great person. Nice dude.  Some was about his coaching but that usually wasn't the plot line.    With Quinn its about him being a great X's and O's guy along with being a great motivator.  

I read an article about how Kyle was somewhat damaged goods when Quinn hired him, that hire of Kyle wasn't lauded by many fans in Atlanta for example.  Quinn is connected around the league with the reputation of building good staffs.  Ron valued comfort usually in his hires over hiring top people.  Ron comes off like that paternal nice guy, calm dude personality who seems to want to be liked more than anything.  Quinn is from what I've seen and heard is all fire with a hunger to win.

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/dallas-cowboys-dan-quinn-create-culture-washington-commanders

“I think [Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator] Dan Quinn is certainly in the mix,” Breer said. “A guy who can create a culture, we’ve seen that in Atlanta. He built a great staff there so you know he’s a guy who has the connections to lure in good offensive coaches.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I can also still prefer a young coach from the Shanahan tree. 

It is running out of young leaves

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4kUTt8L3r0g9CTJqv6pe

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Stop conflating chatter on the internet or even journalists with team positions.  The team never talked about young, fresh, or new.  

Also even if some posters are talking about bridge hires, I would seriously doubt that anyone associated with the team has any interest in bridge hires.  No one has to like the hire, but some of the discussion surrounding it makes gameday threads look like roundtable with Nobel Laureates.

That was aimed less at the team and more  aimed at the posters on this board. The ones acting like the current unhappy fans are being irrational or unreasonable giving the unfolding of events. Obviously, we won't know if its starting to work until at least a month into the new season, so everyone is going to have to wait.

Now, Harris may not have come out, looked into a camera and said "We're hiring a young, fresh coach.". However, everything he's done with current hires, his past hiring history and what he has said points to a different direction. I can tell you he definitely didn't say he want an "old, stale, 2nd chance coach". When he said he wanted to model the Ravens, I didn't think he meant with an older coach.

Whatever, no point in arguing or "debating" this anymore until week 5 in my eyes.

12 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It sounds like Ben Johnson wasn't ready to be a head coach.  There was a lot of smoke to that fire and his decision to pull his candidacy (and the way he did it) confirmed that.  He might not be head coach material period, although he is still a talented young coach with a lot of career ahead of him.

We dodged a bullet with him and should actually be grateful that he is self aware enough to pull out because he knew it wasn't a good fit.  I've been thinking about the stories of Robert Saleh and Brian Daboll and Hue Jackson and how their team culture was just atrocious because they were unfit and unready to be head coaches.  Their insecurity becomes metastisized and they became team cancers even though they were each super impressive coaches at a lower level.  It's the kind of experience where their careers never really recover either.  The job is not for everyone, and timing matters.  It's really clear in hindsight that this was not the time for Ben Johnson to make the leap.

Some are definitiely better fits to be coordinators than having HC jobs.  Keim mentioned talking to different people in the league over the years about coaches, and he'd hear from some hey this dude is a really good coordinator but he isn't a HC.

this will shock @Voice_of_Reason :ols: but Keim said when Jay was hired here, half the people he talked to said good coordinator but they don't think he will be a good HC.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, DWinzit said:

One great thing about all the smoke around the HC hire....the leaks from the FO were very minimal. I love that!

Haha! That was impressive, but I don't think the forums can handle all the swirling speculation its going to create.