Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Can't Think of a Witty Giant Pun

KDawg

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think we as fans are mired in this QB over everything routine. And to some extent that is absolutely the truth… An elite QB makes you a contender for a decade plus. The problem is that it’s hard to find that elite QB. They are difficult to find and there are more than a few who were had beyond the first round that are currently NFL starters. And some who are starting just because of the investment. 

I’m not saying you don’t need a QB to be successful. You absolutely do. 

But our offensive line is so bad that throwing a QB back there isn’t going to change much. Right now we’ve allowed 40 sacks. If we had a QB other than Howell it would be what? 30? That is still near the worst amount of sacks in the NFL. And that’s with a young QB making great decisions on nearly every play.

Drafting a QB to draft one is a strategy that can pay off if you repeat it over and over, but no one wants to do that every year. So what winds up happening MOST of the time is they give the draftee a few years.

In our case, putting anyone behind this current line should be considered criminal.

I don’t see how, with a top pick, you don’t go for the best tackle available and continue to look to the IOL in the next rounds. As long as you have guys graded close to that range, pull the trigger. Don’t reach beyond a guy’s worth. Take the best players. 

Now, if we draft 5th and Drake Maye falls in our lap you HAVE to think about it. Maybe a trade is better for us, maybe drafting him is better…

But you have to consider it. 

I’d probably try a short trade back and go OT and roll with Howell another year. 

If he still takes a ton of sacks with a revamped OL then the eval is complete, the team will struggle and we’ll find ourselves in a place to take a QB. 

But before anyone is put behind center here we need to fix the OL. That needs to be the absolute highest priority, imo.

Until they are drafting 10-14 again in 2025 with a better Oline. If they are drafting top 3-5 with a chance at Maye they have to take the chance 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not great.  Dotson seems to have regressed.  

The odd thing is how Jeckle/Hyde the offense is:  Either it's scoring 24+ or <7.  

Bills/Giants, 3 and 7.  The others: 20, 35, 31, 20, 24.

The problem with Turner's offense is it NEVER touched 30.  But it was more consistently 17, with less <10's but no >24s.  

Yesterday the offense was God Awful and the plan was terrible. So I'm not defending anything.  But the one silver lining is at least we've seen some higher point totals than we've seen in years past.

Also, the offense (not the coordinator) is absolutely rock solid.  It's the Any Reid variant of the WCO.  That's one of the best offenses in the league over the last 25 years.  You can't complain about the offense.  You can complain about the execution of the offense.  Which, I will.  

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It’s not hindsight either. We had people in the game thread calling for the adjustments after the first series and pointing out what they should be.

Unacceptable.  

There was one play that had me laughing--as two Giants ran right through the middle of the line, untouched. This was quite literally Nick Gates on the play:

John Travolta Meme GIFs | Tenor

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Until they are drafting 10-14 again in 2025 with a better Oline. If they are drafting top 3-5 with a chance at Maye they have to take the chance 

I disagree.

If you don’t address the line you are risking another destroyed prospect who the fans turn on 6 games into the season.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I talked about this on the QB thread.  For the Giants last night if they didn't have:

Deonte Banks, Jalin Hyat, Darren Waller, Isaiah Simmons, Bobby Okereke they'd definitley have lost.  But these are dudes they acquired in the off season.

As the Junkies are saying right now on the radio, this team lost this game in the off season.  The off season was pure crap. 

I'm not entirely sure that's true.  I think they could have rolled out the practice squad + the backups from William and Mary and won that game.  

(This is a joke.  I agree with the point.  The Junkies are still idiots, though.)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think we as fans are mired in this QB over everything routine. And to some extent that is absolutely the truth… An elite QB makes you a contender for a decade plus. The problem is that it’s hard to find that elite QB. They are difficult to find and there are more than a few who were had beyond the first round that are currently NFL starters. And some who are starting just because of the investment. 

I’m not saying you don’t need a QB to be successful. You absolutely do. 

But our offensive line is so bad that throwing a QB back there isn’t going to change much. Right now we’ve allowed 40 sacks. If we had a QB other than Howell it would be what? 30? That is still near the worst amount of sacks in the NFL. And that’s with a young QB making great decisions on nearly every play.

Drafting a QB to draft one is a strategy that can pay off if you repeat it over and over, but no one wants to do that every year. So what winds up happening MOST of the time is they give the draftee a few years.

In our case, putting anyone behind this current line should be considered criminal.

I don’t see how, with a top pick, you don’t go for the best tackle available and continue to look to the IOL in the next rounds. As long as you have guys graded close to that range, pull the trigger. Don’t reach beyond a guy’s worth. Take the best players. 

Now, if we draft 5th and Drake Maye falls in our lap you HAVE to think about it. Maybe a trade is better for us, maybe drafting him is better…

But you have to consider it. 

I’d probably try a short trade back and go OT and roll with Howell another year. 

If he still takes a ton of sacks with a revamped OL then the eval is complete, the team will struggle and we’ll find ourselves in a place to take a QB. 

But before anyone is put behind center here we need to fix the OL. That needs to be the absolute highest priority, imo.

You are of course right in what you say K, and in such a situation the QB and O Line are so intertwined that it can be difficult to gauge who is responsible a lot of the time. We all know this O line is just plain horrendous, but perhaps there’s a world we can have our cake and eat it?

Say we’re around 5 which is entirely possible and a Maye gets that far, we could then address QB in round 1 while beginning a line rebuild with a combination of other picks and rebalancing the roster in Free Agency.

As much as I want Howell to be the one, I think he’s a smashing kid I’m not sure he’s showing at least enough to stop us from going down that road if it presents itself to us in the off season.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim was asked by the Junkies doesn't Ron come off checked out.

Keim's response is that he feels that Ron is very surprised, Ron thought he built a really good roster and so referenced that he might be a bit shell shocked.  He didn't use the word shell-shocked but that's the vibe he gave about what might be hitting Ron.

And Keim goes Ron knows his fate is sealed it the season doesn't go well

This part was Keim talking about his own take.  This schedule is favorable early, they had to get off to a good start, another bad start likely would doom the season.  He didn't say whether he thinks Ron feels that way.  So this clearly doesn't bode well.

Only Ron thought he built a good roster. The entire media (full of well respected evaluators) had us as a bottom 10 team. Most evaluators and fans hated the last couple drafts. Forbes and Dotson are severely undersized. Ron is just awful at drafting. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I just keep telling myself that Snyder is gone and that the full blown reboot does not start until all of his hires are removed from their positions.  This season is meaningless to me; outside of seeing how Howell plays.  

I went into the season feeling this way as well, it would have taken a good start to pull me back in but Ron Rivera never has good starts to the season.  Now I'm officially checked out and will treat these as preseason games to get a look for the future, specifically Howell. That usually happens after Halloween.  Thanks Ron Rivera.

After the pic 6 was dropped I felt this was the worst NFL game I have seen all season.  I watched most of it as I would a train wreck, it was so bad I just could not look away.  All the comments about the weaknesses were all well known by everyone all offseason was very accurate.  I definitely wanted Gonzales over Forbes, didn't like the draft after it was over but like an idiot I trusted our staff to know more than we do. 

As for the game

Not sure what that did for my opinion of Howell.  Of course he is in a bad situation but if you are a good QB you can overcome bad situations to some extent.  He doesn't.  His performance was meh.  We all know now that some of the sacks are on him, for being "mobile" he just doesn't seem to escape well, I know for sure his footspeed is not up with so many of the other mobile QBs.  He misses too many throws.  But I'm pretty sure with a good OL and not a terrible one he can be productive.  But is he really the long term answer?

Gates and Wylie were terrible signings.  Obviously the draft may go down as an all time failure. For a group on the hot seat they are about as clutch as Jahan Dotson.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

You are of course right in what you say K, and in such a situation the QB and O Line are so intertwined that it can be difficult to gauge who is responsible a lot of the time. We all know this O line is just plain horrendous, but perhaps there’s a world we can have our cake and eat it?

Say we’re around 5 which is entirely possible and a Maye gets that far, we could then address QB in round 1 while beginning a line rebuild with a combination of other picks and rebalancing the roster in Free Agency.

As much as I want Howell to be the one, I think he’s a smashing kid I’m not sure he’s showing at least enough to stop us from going down that road if it presents itself to us in the off season.

Free agency occurs prior to the draft. So, if we have addressed OL situations change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

D was alright.

D-line did their job, but its hard to look good when you gotta visually compete w/ whoever is playing our O-line

Sweat and Young both look like guys that want to get paid, and that is good.

Quan got back in the game after an injury scare and got some burn. Forbes got some reps late... Small steps for the young guys.

O was... Unspeakably bad.

Just terrible, nonfunctional and lead by pure incompetence and hubris.

At this point you might as well lock the O into the black jerseys. If they are gonna play like trash they might as well look like trash bags.

D gave up I think 7 20+ yard explosive plays yesterday. Against a bunch of backups.

O was way worse, but the D was not alright.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The odd thing is how Jeckle/Hyde the offense is:  Either it's scoring 24+ or <7.  

Bills/Giants, 3 and 7.  The others: 20, 35, 31, 20, 24.

The problem with Turner's offense is it NEVER touched 30.  But it was more consistently 17, with less <10's but no >24s.  

Yesterday the offense was God Awful and the plan was terrible. So I'm not defending anything.  But the one silver lining is at least we've seen some higher point totals than we've seen in years past.

Also, the offense (not the coordinator) is absolutely rock solid.  It's the Any Reid variant of the WCO.  That's one of the best offenses in the league over the last 25 years.  You can't complain about the offense.  You can complain about the execution of the offense.  Which, I will.  

Turner was handicapped by a terrible QB. Maybe if Ron wasn't asleep at the wheel and noticed Howell could play at the bye last year, we'd have seen a much different offense with Turner.

Beyond the OL just appearing physically outmatched too often, the more I run this back - I see an OL that simply doesn’t know what it’s doing.  Guys are blocking air way too often while guys are coming free.

I’ve long been a talent over coaching guy as it pertains to the NFL, but there is clearly something missing between the ears for much of this line.  Ron’s fumbling at OL coach is front and center.

• Like 1

Just now, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

Apologies if it's been asked already, but why's Chris Rodriguez being highlighted more over the other running backs?

No clue why we're taking carries away from BRob, who gets better with more touches, but CRod comes in in the second half when we're mostly throwing so he looks good and the fans love it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Absolutely. If you believe Maye has a chance to be a franchise QB you take him and then figure out how you proceed. Can go O-line heavy from round 2 onwards, can sit him a year and addresse the issues in the meantime, whatever...but you don't pass on the possbilitiy of drafting a great QB prospect if you need one. Don't think the Bengals, who were atrocious, regret drafting Burrow, or that the Chargers regret drafting Herbert even though that wasn't a plug and play roster. Many ways to build a contender, none without having a QB. If you don't pick very high, which tends to happen if you build your roster first, the chances are significantly lower that you'll actually get a franchise QB.

• Like 1

I look at a guy like Brandon Cooks who has been traded by three teams and in those exchanges, the Saints got a 1st round pick, the Patriots got a 1st round pick, and the Rams got a 2nd round pick. We need to be the type of organization who exploits and not get exploited.

Edited by dyst