Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Can't Think of a Witty Giant Pun

KDawg

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

I look at a guy like Brandon Cooks who has been traded by three teams and into exchanges, the Saints got 1st round pick, the Patriots got a 1st round pick, and the Rams got a 2nd round pick. We need to be the type of organization or exploits and not get exploited.

Meanwhile we trade a GOAT tier LT for…a 5th and future 3rd LMAO

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Close to 80% of the fans who voted in a poll posted by 106.7 on Twitter voted for him over Bill Belicheck to be the next head coach.

I don't want either of them, but apparently Belichick signed a contract extension during the offseason, so it's nonsense at this point to even consider him.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Turner was handicapped by a terrible QB. Maybe if Ron wasn't asleep at the wheel and noticed Howell could play at the bye last year, we'd have seen a much different offense with Turner.

I don’t think so.  I think Turner was absolutely awful at understanding the flow of a game.

Just because EB isn’t good doesn’t mean Scott was. He was terrible but in a different direction. 

I saw enough of Turner running on early downs to know he’s not the answer either.  

Better? Maybe.  I’m not sure.  His offense never sniffed 25 points.  Ever.  At least we’ve hit 30 twice this year.  If Turner got to 30, it probably took 3 years.  

9 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Absolutely. If you believe Maye has a chance to be a franchise QB you take him and then figure out how you proceed. Can go O-line heavy from round 2 onwards, can sit him a year and addresse the issues in the meantime, whatever...but you don't pass on the possbilitiy of drafting a great QB prospect if you need one. Don't think the Bengals, who were atrocious, regret drafting Burrow, or that the Chargers regret drafting Herbert even though that wasn't a plug and play roster. Many ways to build a contender, none without having a QB. If you don't pick very high, which tends to happen if you build your roster first, the chances are significantly lower that you'll actually get a franchise QB.

The key is that they have to think he’s a franchise QB that is better than Howell. I’m not sure yet, but I certainly see the possibility. He’s had an interesting season. Only game I’ve watched so far is Miami and he was extremely unimpressive. But I have watched games from last year and I really liked him so I don’t have a specific opinion yet. 

He has size over him, which would help tremendously with the sack issue. This is why my pov is that you have to look into it and figure it out one way or the other. 

Having said that, I’m fairly positive he’s going to be gone by our selection. So now we’re talking about forcing our hand on a lesser QB.

I’m fine with that… as long as we’re sure. But OL is still going to be a problem. 

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I disagree.

If you don’t address the line you are risking another destroyed prospect who the fans turn on 6 games into the season.

I don’t see fans turning on a top 5 qb pick for the new regime after 6 games. 

I def see us “overspending” on at least one offensive lineman this offseason

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Better? Maybe.  I’m not sure.  His offense never sniffed 25 points.  Ever.  At least we’ve hit 30 twice this year.  If Turner got to 30, it probably took 3 years.  

What?  They scored 25+ points 12 times in three years under Turner.  Once Wince was injured, Turner' offense averaged 20.9 points per game.  This offense is averaging 20 points per game.  

I don’t think so.  I think Turner was absolutely awful at understanding the flow of a game.

Just because EB isn’t good doesn’t mean Scott was. He was terrible but in a different direction. 

I saw enough of Turner running on early downs to know he’s not the answer either.  

I get that, but the offense at the beginning of the year last year, with a healthy Wentz looked really good the first few weeks, until The Eagles game and he was sacked 7 times in the first half and then he was sacked 5 times the first half the following week and Wentz went to absolute ****. Then when Sneakers came in, we had to lean on the run and try not to launch turkey murder balls.

Howell has an arm like Wentz and is more mobile and most importantly, doesn't get rattled as easy. 

I know that it's what ifs at this point, but it was always obvious that QB was the hole in Turners offense.

EB is on par with Spurrier and Zorn.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah but in fairness I feel like a lot of our points have been gifted from super short fields. Even yesterday's only TD was from the muffed punt. But every other game except I think the Philly game we got a TD off a very short field from either a defensive takeaway or special teams play.

There is almost no discernible difference between EB and Turner except EB doesn't call the random gadget play that loses 5 yards when we get into the red zone. 

3 MFers

Good

• Chase and a few others in the front 7
  • Rodriquez... provided a spark and seems quicker than BRob, whose running from gun is too slow to the hole...
  • Holder on FGs and Ron yelling at the officials.

Bad

• EB game plan was too slow to adjust to the world knowing the Giants blitz more than anyone else. Sam was a sitting duck. Shoot the glass. Use. His. Legs.
  • JDR watching the Giants blitz and blowing up our OL while in press man (most our WRs faced all year) yet not doing the same to the Giants patchwork OL meh WRs & backup QB. Letting the Giants get up 14 on us vs trying to pitch a shutout - far too passive as per usual.
  • Ron going for the FG down 7. Giving the Giants 3rd and 13 vs 4th and 3. Ignoring EBs and JDRs ****ting game plans.

Meh

• Howell - decent game all things equal. I certainly don't pin the loss on him. Hopefully he survives physically with all the DL pouncing on him. 20.4 QBR is better than a zero.
  • Tress Way setting punt yardage records in a half and dealing with cheeseballs snaps.
  • WR group did ok being in heavy press man more than anytime this year. Terrible routes were called IMO to be beat press/blitz. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Stihl89 said:

I def see us “overspending” on at least one offensive lineman this offseason

Well, I suppose if we're going to overpay for a position OL makes the most sense. The draft appears to be loaded for OL. I am hoping we move some pieces and acquire more draft picks personally. 

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Beyond the OL just appearing physically outmatched too often, the more I run this back - I see an OL that simply doesn’t know what it’s doing.  Guys are blocking air way too often while guys are coming free.

I’ve long been a talent over coaching guy as it pertains to the NFL, but there is clearly something missing between the ears for much of this line.  Ron’s fumbling at OL coach is front and center.

Another not discussed fact, we went virtually the entire off-season without an OL coach.  We dismissed Masko due to philosophical differences. Then we didn’t hire one for ages, I think until training camp.  And the guy we did hire was away from the team for whatever reason for months.  

Maybe that was a bit of a mistake?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah but in fairness I feel like a lot of our points have been gifted from super short fields. Even yesterday's only TD was from the muffed punt. But every other game except I think the Philly game we got a TD off a very short field from either a defensive takeaway or special teams play.

There is almost no discernible difference between EB and Turner except EB doesn't call the random gadget play that loses 5 yards when we get into the red zone. 

Turners offense always had guys running open, just no QB to get the ball to them on time.

That's a big difference. Turner also used motion and disguised plays better and was quicker to adjust than EB.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Turners offense always had guys running open, just no QB to get the ball to them on time.

That's a big difference. Turner also used motion and disguised plays better and was quicker to adjust than EB.

That’s not entirely true and revisionist history to make a point because you hate EB.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The odd thing is how Jeckle/Hyde the offense is:  Either it's scoring 24+ or <7.  

Bills/Giants, 3 and 7.  The others: 20, 35, 31, 20, 24.

The problem with Turner's offense is it NEVER touched 30.  But it was more consistently 17, with less <10's but no >24s.  

Yesterday the offense was God Awful and the plan was terrible. So I'm not defending anything.  But the one silver lining is at least we've seen some higher point totals than we've seen in years past.

Also, the offense (not the coordinator) is absolutely rock solid.  It's the Any Reid variant of the WCO.  That's one of the best offenses in the league over the last 25 years.  You can't complain about the offense.  You can complain about the execution of the offense.  Which, I will.  

I think the difference is the one area where they actually seem improved is red zone offense.  If they get down there, they're more effective.  They were 25th in red zone offense last year, but jumped all the way to 12th so far this year.  20 to 20, they're probably not a whole lot different.  Inside the 20, significantly different (last drive notwithstanding)

Another not discussed fact, we went virtually the entire off-season without an OL coach.  We dismissed Masko due to philosophical differences. Then we didn’t hire one for ages, I think until training camp.  And the guy we did hire was away from the team for whatever reason for months.  

Maybe that was a bit of a mistake?

@Conn has pointed out a few times, that it was because of the sale and contractual issues. 

Still, losing Matsko for Wharton is a decline. Need to shift Castilo back to OL today.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I disagree, I think the offenses are vastly different.  The Reid offense is a much better 2023 offense than the Turner offense.  (Norv that is which Scott tried to run.) 

Whether it’s been called/taught/coaches properly is a different matter.  The pass first/substitute short pass for run, and get the ball out quickly philosophy is different.  

EB has called some games that way, others he hasn’t.  

But the offenses are different