Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Can't Think of a Witty Giant Pun

KDawg

I feel bad for Jon Allen man. That guy is a baller and a pro's pro. He deserves to be playing deep into January every season and playing on primetime a couple times a month. On a better franchise he probably has a couple All Pros by now. Bad luck he had to waste most of his prime for this garbage franchise.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's podcast.

He didn't think the O line played well.  Howell didn't have time to throw.  He didn't like the play calling and flat out said some on the team felt the same way and they didn't get why the adjustments happened so late on offense.

He said the trade rumors about  some of the players here are dirven by other teams not this team.  Other teams have inquired about players here but Keim gave the vibe that this team isn't shopping said players.  But he wondered if that changes if they lost to Philly.

I was listening some to Mitchell-Finlay.  Mitchell is going off on Howell being the main problem not the coaches and Finlay seems to be agreeing with him -- however, Finlay just about always echoes any Mitchell's football takes.  I personally don't care what Mitchell thinks.   But I don't dislike him either.  I am sort of agnostic on Mitchelll.  But I am surprised how aggressive he is pinning this team's issues on Howell.  He's typically in the blame the coaches mode.  But maybe he's doing it now, I switched off to listen to Sheehan.

I must admit I am confused with the current team org chart.

If Rivera has a big hand in the decisions, at this point he doesn't give a crap about gaining future draft picks. He is about the here and now.

No one can argue there is some fault on Howell for sacks but come'on man, how can Michell-Finlay lay that much on the kid....that is BS. 

Edited by DWinzit
spelling edit-crap instead of cap...lol

3 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

SIP your a far cooler head than I, while I don't think Howell is necessarily poor by any means, has he really shown enough through 7 to stop Washington drafting QB if they're picking in or around that top 5 this year?

Appreciate it's tough to get a read of a guy when the O line is so bad, but he also has to take a portion of the responsibility for the sack numbers.

lol, not that much of a cool head, I've been posing much negativity during and post game. 

As far as Howell, whether he showed enough?  Don't know.  But I want to see the full sample size, all 16 games, I expected ups and downs.  I'll likely have a hard take then.  Right now, I still lean positive but I am far from 100% sold.  It's an audition still in my book. 

I haven't really watched this crop of QBs that closely to have a fav yet.  As bad as the season going, I still don't expect them to be in range for Drake-Caleb.  So it would be the next tier, Penix, McCarthy, Nix,, Daniels, etc.  I've watched all of them some but haven't studied them.  My gut for the moment is this in theory looks to be a good draft for tackles, I want to rebuild this O line.  But if Howell falters, I am open to QB.  

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

No one can argue there is some fault on Howell for sacks but come'on man, how can Michell-Finlay lay that much on the kid....that is BS. 

Agree.  Especially after yesterday.  Sam didn't play hot.  Some sacks are on Sam for sure.  But the O line and scheme hasn't helped -- and this was especially exposed yesterday.

But Brian is going on about Howell has had enough time and hasn't made progress -- handiling the blitz is on him on and on. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I was listening to the presser on a Galdi’s podcast, and something (well many things, but one in particular) bothered me: there was an exchange with a reporter, I THINK it was Sam Fortier, but I could be mistaken, who asked Ron directly what the plan was for the pressure, and the struggles on 3rd down, and what the difference was from one half to the next.  

And Ron said something like “it was the same plan we just executed better.” And indicated they did better on 3rd downs in the second half.

On the contrary, they finished 1-14 on third downs, it never got better.

Somebody in that room needed to ask the next question of “wait, you were 1-14 on 3rd downs for the game, how did it get better?”

I don’t like to see people squirm, but if you’re going to give a non-answer, and you screw it up, the media needs to pounce on that because it’s fake news.  

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

image.png.904d2e8dc43541a510a3349e4187e36a.png

The far left column is the 3rd down conversion rate for this season.  Far right is 3rd down conversion rate from 2022.  

I do wonder what it was before yesterday.  Going 1-14 on third downs will ruin your stats for 7 games.  

I think they were kindof about the same as last year going into the game.  

But I could be wrong, doing that from memory.  

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was listening to the presser on a Galdi’s podcast, and something (well many things, but one in particular) bothered me: there was an exchange with a reporter, I THINK it was Sam Fortier, but I could be mistaken, who asked Ron directly what the plan was for the pressure, and the struggles on 3rd down, and what the difference was from one half to the next.  

And Ron said something like “it was the same plan we just executed better.” And indicated they did better on 3rd downs in the second half.

On the contrary, they finished 1-14 on third downs, it never got better.

Somebody in that room needed to ask the next question of “wait, you were 1-14 on 3rd downs for the game, how did it get better?”

I don’t like to see people squirm, but if you’re going to give a non-answer, and you screw it up, the media needs to pounce on that because it’s fake news.  

He also initially touted their adjustments a minute earler in that press conference.  Then defended their game plan a minute later by saying it was the same plan with better execution. 

My wife (sadly a Giants fan) watched that with me and I asked her if she noticed the same, and she did.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Especially after yesterday.  Sam didn't play hot.  Some sacks are on Sam for sure.  But the O line and scheme hasn't helped -- and this was especially exposed yesterday.

But Brian is going on about Howell has had enough time and hasn't made progress -- handling the blitz is on him on and on. 

It had been suggested earlier and I hated the idea. Now that I am hearing the amount of negative Howell talk, perhaps they were on to something. 

Let Brissett start next week. Lets see how he looks in comparison with this same OL

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I feel bad for Jon Allen man. That guy is a baller and a pro's pro. He deserves to be playing deep into January every season and playing on primetime a couple times a month. On a better franchise he probably has a couple All Pros by now. Bad luck he had to waste most of his prime for this garbage franchise.

He should never have signed that extension.  He should have made them franchise tag him and get the hell out of dodge as quickly as possible.  

Same with Daron.  

Im sure Young and Sweat are both hoping they’re not the guy we choose to keep. 

Terry HAD to make the deal because otherwise he gives up $20m of career earnings because he was a 3rd round pick.  But I’m sure he’s looking for the exit door as well.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He also initially touted their adjustments a minute earler in that press conference.  Then defended their game plan a minute later by saying it was the same plan with better execution. 

My wife (sadly a Giants fan) watched that with me and I asked her if she noticed the same, and she did.

You married a Giants fan?  On our first date I asked my now wife if she was a Dallas Cowboys fan because she was from Dallas.  She said no so we could have a second date.  If she had said yes, probably wouldn’t have had a second date…. :P  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

It had been suggested earlier and I hated the idea. Now that I am hearing the amount of negative Howell talk, perhaps they were on to something. 

Let Brissett start next week. Lets see how he looks in comparison with this same OL

I understand the feeling, part of me is tempted too for the same reason

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I do wonder what it was before yesterday.  Going 1-14 on third downs will ruin your stats for 7 games.  

I think they were kindof about the same as last year going into the game.  

But I could be wrong, doing that from memory.  

33.8% before yesterday's game.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

It's also clear that the players are not behind EB.

What is this in reference to?

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He should never have signed that extension.  He should have made them franchise tag him and get the hell out of dodge as quickly as possible.  

Same with Daron.  

Im sure Young and Sweat are both hoping they’re not the guy we choose to keep. 

Terry HAD to make the deal because otherwise he gives up $20m of career earnings because he was a 3rd round pick.  But I’m sure he’s looking for the exit door as well.  

Its tough to say. The D.C. area is an awesome place to live. Very few people actively want to leave. You can even look at the other sports teams. Brad Beal stayed with the loser Wizards forever. Juan Soto didn't actually want to be traded despite the Nats sucking his last year or so here. Bryce Harper was willing to stay but a legit contract offer wasn't there. Trea Turner and Max Scherzer felt very bittersweet about being traded having loved living here. These guys are humans and many of these guys are young, on the verge of starting families, etc. You get comfortable somewhere. You don't want to leave.

And I think for some guys, its an ego thing(in a good way). Like, I know I can be part of the solution. I can see someone like Allen or McLaurin thinking along those lines. I wanna be part of the solution kind of thinking. Its admirable and part of the reason we love guys like that. Other guys like Payne and I think Sweat its all about the money. They'll go where they can get paid. Which is perfectly normal. Payne got paid and is still balling out so no issues there. I think Sweat will continue to be a good player too after being paid.

Young, however, I could see wanting out. You know the guy has superstar aspirations. He wants to play meaningful, primetime games late in the season. He wants to build a legacy and I'm not sure he can do that here(at least that's how he might feel). I could see him holding out if he's franchise tagged and not agreeing to any sort of new contract unless its just something crazy absurd.

Edited by Warhead36

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Harris needs to address the players and helm this sinking ship.

It's also clear that the players are not behind EB.

While yesterday was the nail in the coffin for Ron and this regime, I suspect behind the scenes they have one more week as to goodwill with this regime with Ron selling we almost beat the Eagles last time, this time we beat them and turnaround the season. 

• Haha 7

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's podcast.

He said the trade rumors about  some of the players here are dirven by other teams not this team.  Other teams have inquired about players here but Keim gave the vibe that this team isn't shopping said players.  But he wondered if that changes if they lost to Philly.

This will be very interesting to see how this plays out and if players are shopped. You would think that Harris would have to give some sort of approval. Even if he didn't say anything that would be a seen as a silent approval. Does he override the GM's at this point knowing they wont be here. Wouldn't imagine he would do that with his own appointed front office but in this instance? Going to be interesting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

While yesterday was the nail in the coffin for Ron and this regime, I suspect behind the scenes they have one more week as to goodwill with this regime with Ron selling we almost beat the Eagles last time, this time we beat them and turnaround the season. 

We always seem to play the Eagles tough going back to the 80's.

I seriously doubt it's a winnable game though. Watching them last night, they keyed in on the run game and shut that down, while playing their secondary deep. Then when they had a lead, they just pinned their ears back and went after Tua. They know they don't have to shut our run game down, because we don't have one. Also, Wink showed just how well blitzing the hell out of us will work and they have pass rushers in spades.

This is the game that breaks our backs I think. If Jon Allen is already coming out this pissed off, it's going to get worse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am tired of Jon Allen's annual profanity laced post-game loss tirade.  And I cuss like a sailor, but bro, you ain't making me think any more of you and your teammates when you start dropping f-bombs.

Who gives a **** about the language?  He's an adult, and we're all adults.  He conveyed his emotions, and the profanity drove home the point of how fed up he is with this bull****.  We aren't school aged kids that need to be shielded from the truth, because someone decided to use a few swear words.  I actually commend him for saying out loud what we're all thinking, even if he had to curse.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We always seem to play the Eagles tough going back to the 80's.

I seriously doubt it's a winnable game though. Watching them last night, they keyed in on the run game and shut that down, while playing their secondary deep. Then when they had a lead, they just pinned their ears back and went after Tua. They know they don't have to shut our run game down, because we don't have one. Also, Wink showed just how well blitzing the hell out of us will work and they have pass rushers in spades.

This is the game that breaks our backs I think. If Jon Allen is already coming out this pissed off, it's going to get worse.

Who the heck knows. There is so much variance week to week in the NFL. The Eagles looked awful against the Jets, then turn around and spank the Dolphins. The Browns had a historically good start to the season on defense, then gave up 30+ to a bad Colts offense with a backup QB. The Bills D which is supposed to be awesome let up 25+ to Mac freaking Jones in a loss.

I'm not saying we'll win. I fully expect us to get our arses kicked. But this team for what its worth has shown the ability to bounce back in the Rivera era and in all three seasons have had very unexpected victories against superior foes.

• Like 2