Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Can't Think of a Witty Giant Pun

KDawg

23 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

These posts are funny but I wholeheartedly disagree. The things people are calling for our offense to do, we have done. I understand the nature of our fans but film study doesn't back the EB attacks. Claiming Turner was better than EB confirms that this is typical extremism and shock jock ES banter for me. EB runs circles around Turner. 

Right. That's why every announcer, twitter talking head, board member couldn't understand why EB wouldn't put his hubris aside yesterday and change the play calling.

Or how you can be so unprepared to play a division rival and completely ignore his tendencies. 

Turner was bad, but he was prepared and made adjustments. This offense looks completely lost and the players look unprepared.

30 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Allen just said he still believes in Rivera & Del Rio.

Dude is from a military family, high paid and a team leader.  I didn’t expect him to say anything less, after a night to marinate on his locker room comments.  

I could tell by the way he was answering the questions that he acknowledges he’s not going anywhere and there’s too many weeks left of the season to publicly fold.

It’s easy for us to acknowledge the reality, not so much for guys who have to beat their bodies up 10 more times.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The key is that they have to think he’s a franchise QB that is better than Howell. I’m not sure yet, but I certainly see the possibility. He’s had an interesting season. Only game I’ve watched so far is Miami and he was extremely unimpressive. But I have watched games from last year and I really liked him so I don’t have a specific opinion yet. 

He has size over him, which would help tremendously with the sack issue. This is why my pov is that you have to look into it and figure it out one way or the other. 

Having said that, I’m fairly positive he’s going to be gone by our selection. So now we’re talking about forcing our hand on a lesser QB.

I’m fine with that… as long as we’re sure. But OL is still going to be a problem. 

I agree that it's extremely unlikely that we'll have a chance at drafting Maye. I am a big fan because I think he has all the potential in the world plus the size. I also agree that Howell is generally looking good and if we aren't in position to draft e.g. Maye, then we should not force the issue and roll with Howell. However, at the end of the day, I really only want to have a promising GM and have him make all the necessary calls. Whatever that guy choses to do is fine with me, as long as there is a concrete plan that they are following, which isn't based on the mood of the owner.

• Like 2

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dude is from a military family, high paid and a team leader.  I didn’t expect him to say anything less, after a night to marinate on his locker room comments.  

I could tell by the way he was answering the questions that he acknowledges he’s not going anywhere and there’s too many weeks left of the season to publicly fold.

It’s easy for us to acknowledge the reality, not so much for guys who have to beat their bodies up 10 more times.

I don't think the players on defense have an issue with Del Rio.  I've heard multiple times that they love him.  I'm not so sure with Rivera, however.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Right. That's why every announcer, twitter talking head, board member couldn't understand why EB wouldn't put his hubris aside yesterday and change the play calling.

Or how you can be so unprepared to play a division rival and completely ignore his tendencies. 

Turner was bad, but he was prepared and made adjustments. This offense looks completely lost and the players look unprepared.

I'll just post the film. I've re-watched every game multiple times. 

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't understand how a NFL coach with no prior history can just come out and run his O so rigidly.

Your not some vested veteran playcaller who can demand the O goes your way or nothing. You gotta be flexible.

Too many times EB comes out with his craptastic gameplan which is quickly identified as the path of most resistance that magnifies our most glaring issues. The Giants were blitzing us like crazy. I remember Buffalo getting pressure on like 80% of dropbacks. EB sees this and actively chooses to have long developing plays w/ big dropbacks because... because he wants to.

Its mind-numbingly stupid. Its the absolute worst possible thing that can be done.

Howell directly referenced the O sticking to the script even after a poor start. There was minimal attempt to right the ship. There was only a feeding of EBs ego and his infallible scheme. A system that saw our first 12 drives go:

-3 plays, 3 yards Punt

-3 plays, 4 yards Punt

-4 plays, 15 yards Punt

-3 plays, -5 yards Punt

-4 plays, 20 yards INT

-3 plays, 0 yards Punt

-3 plays, -10 yards Punt

-3 plays, -3 yards Punt

-3 plays 6 yards Punt

*miracle gift muff from the Gods*

-6 plays 21 yards TD

-5 plays 21 yards Punt

-3 plays 8 yards Punt

EB has been horrible so far this year and he is quickly morphing from an OC that has performed terribly to a OC that is terrible. It has all been at the general expense of Howell to boot.

We blame Rivera (rightfully so) for his negligence in addressing the O-Line this offseason, but EB also shares some blame in this too.  He saw Wylie up close in KC, and pushed for him to be signed to the team.  He also had input in the Nick Gates signing.  EB has responsibility in the creation of this horrific O-Line.  The more I think about it, EB is turning into one of our worst offseason signings.  I know that's early to say, 7 weeks in, but he's been a net negative more that a positive so far.

Jon Allen looking like Rasheed Wallace LMFAO

2 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We blame Rivera (rightfully so) for his negligence in addressing the O-Line this offseason, but EB also shares some blame in this too.  He saw Wylie up close in KC, and pushed for him to be signed to the team.  He also had input in the Nick Gates signing.  EB has responsibility in the creation of this horrific O-Line.  The more I think about it, EB is turning into one of our worst offseason signings.  I know that's early to say, 7 weeks in, but he's been a net negative more that a positive so far.

But who hired EB?

Don't blame middle management. Blame the CEO.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's obviously ridiculous. But if I could choose who our next coach should be (not just vs. Bieniemy), I also wouldn't chose Belichick. He would want roster control and his recent coaching hires and drafts have been atrocious. He is a great coach but I don't think that he is still ahead of the curve and is a bit caught in his own ways.

The NFL has changed so much in recent years. I want someone with fresh ideas, who is also a player's coach and can bring some heat and energy. But most of all, I want a GM with roster control to be hired first and then let that guy make the decisions. I don't think that would work with Belichick but chosing him over Bieniemy, who hasn't shown a wole lot since he came here, is not it.

4 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

I'll just post the film. I've re-watched every game multiple times. 

I'm sure you know better than the players, the opposing players, opposing coaches who come out saying they knew what we'd do, announcers, reporters and everyone else. I bet the 15 interviewers for head coach didn't know as much as you either.

Not surprising a captain would intentionally mention two of three coaches.

39 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Allen just said he still believes in Rivera & Del Rio.

Just now, IrepDC said:

When 4 out of 5 of your starting OL are in the bottom 10 in the entire league of win percentage, with 3 of 5 in the bottom 5, there isn't a magical offense that somehow completely hides that. 

You can run more quick passes. Slants, screens etc. You can run more plays under center instead of from shotgun. 

The OL is bad talent wise but it shouldn't be historically bad like they are right now. Its a combination of factors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

When 4 out of 5 of your starting OL are in the bottom 10 in the entire league of win percentage, with 3 of 5 in the bottom 5, there isn't a magical offense that somehow completely hides that. 

The Giants started 4 guys that were on other reams practice squads last week. Their coordinator called plays to help the line out.

Like, there has never been an example of how one team can coach and one team is incompetent. 

32 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

These posts are funny but I wholeheartedly disagree. The things people are calling for our offense to do, we have done. I understand the nature of our fans but film study doesn't back the EB attacks. Claiming Turner was better than EB confirms that this is typical extremism and shock jock ES banter for me. EB runs circles around Turner. 

I haven’t watched the All-22 each week but I scour Twitter, particularly after a loss for folks who do.  For an offense that’s been this inept for so many quarters, I’m not seeing a whole lot of ‘great play call but Sam…’ or ‘incredible play design by EB but Sam…’ material out there.  

There have been moments, I’m not denying that.  But there’s never been a complete game.  In fact, one would think a good OC should have more success early in games running the first 15.  That is not the case here at all.  Guy has all week to game plan and script against opposing defenses weaknesses and we end up 3 and out.  No quick throws to build confidence and back the D up.  Running right into the only part of the Giants D that doesn’t suck as opposed to hitting the edges that have proven to be poor.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

No, of course you’re right. But you can certainly scheme to hide it as best as you can. The amount of 5 and 6 man protections is alarming. The lack of quick hitters is alarming and the lack of establishing a running game is alarming. 

Rough for sure. But remember he was here for Wylie and Gates. He wanted these guys (or at least I’d hope so because why else did we sign them?)

And they are two of the biggest problems.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I'm sure you know better than the players, the opposing players, opposing coaches who come out saying they knew what we'd do, announcers, reporters and everyone else. I bet the 15 interviewers for head coach didn't know as much as you either.

Not surprising a captain would intentionally mention two of three coaches.

You can proclaim all of those people agreeing with you out of thin air all you want, but the film doesn't lie. Are you claiming we don't do rollouts, we don't scheme quick crosses, use motions and shifts, use slants, have hot routes, or use screens? EB has added every element you use to hide a bad OL. The film will either agree or disagree.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You can run more quick passes. Slants, screens etc. You can run more plays under center instead of from shotgun. 

The OL is bad talent wise but it shouldn't be historically bad like they are right now. Its a combination of factors.

This is what's silly to me. We are running these plays. I will just start posting the film because this is silly to see people keep saying this.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

The Giants started 4 guys that were on other reams practice squads last week. Their coordinator called plays to help the line out.

Like, there has never been an example of how one team can coach and one team is incompetent. 

Likewise, metrics have shown, as posted by others on here, that the Giants are strong up the middle with Williams and Lawrence, and weak on the edges. Where did we attack? Why did it take until the 2nd half of the 7th game to start moving the pocket? Where is the motion, misdirection?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

No, of course you’re right. But you can certainly scheme to hide it as best as you can. The amount of 5 and 6 man protections is alarming. The lack of quick hitters is alarming and the lack of establishing a running game is alarming. 

Rough for sure. But remember he was here for Wylie and Gates. He wanted these guys (or at least I’d hope so because why else did we sign them?)

He also named Charles a starter day one.

Another head scratcher IMO. O line got beat and Howell won't last the season at this rate.This begs the question of why EB is calling LDP almost the entire game. take some 3 step drops and get it out over the middle. Take the short stuff all day if you have to. D played well enough to keep the O in it. But 3rd and longs continue to haunt this team.

Worst spot for me was the lack of urgency in the 4th Q when we were driving. They let A LOT of time go while chasing a lead. Need to step it up there.

In closing, this game finally put me in the "fire Rivera" column.

Just an FUGLY day. So glad I skipped going to Met Life.

14 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

In the first half Howell's average time to throw was 2.23 seconds.  You barely even hit the top of your drop back in 2 seconds.  What are people expecting Howell to do working under those conditions?  Finally in the second half (more like 4th quarter) they had Howell rolling the pocket, buying more time and like magic he started dropping some dimes to Terry that got the team back into the game.  Going into the season with this O-line trying to protect a first year starter should be considered coaching malpractice.

I am not sure if EB knows something we don't about his job security, but the way he calls games (outside of how balanced things were in the Eagles game) it's as if he feels he is using this season to get the offense familiar for what's to come in the future versus looking for ways to win games now.

A lot of debates on what was worse the Bears loss or this loss. For me it is a no-brainer that it is this loss because the Bears game got away from them so fast that I wasn't expecting much once down 0-28, but today the team was never down more than 0-14 and tbh, The Giants didn't really stop looking terrible either, it was just that we looked worse.  The Giants offense only had 1 good drive in the second half and it resulted in zero points due to the Barkley fumble. The Giants are still a bad team that was simply waiting around to get beaten today and we couldn't get the job done.

On that last play of the game.....anyone blaming Howell, please stop. Dude had to once again escape pressure and make a throw on the run, the ball hits Dotson in both of his hands and was dropped.  This is the NFL, you were picked in the 1st round. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THAT CATCH.   Give me a break saying the pass wasn't good enough.

Can't really complain about the defense today since they only gave up 14 and the plays they did give up (mainly the big catches) still seemed to be scheme issues, once again leaving corners on the island. 

THIS.

I was predicting how the game would go because I know how Howell plays. I knew he would bring us back and he did. And I knew people would blame him for the sacks and for yesterday overall. That Interception I thought was a perfect pass but his hand was hit otherwise its perfection. But dude is a baller. 

Honestly, this season has escaped me so much by now. it was honestly gone before it started - when we named Howell the starter. I wanted to win 11 games, but I want Howell to have a good performance of a franchise QB over the course of a season. This game is one where he got little help. They scored 14 points. Specials got us a fumble, so we scored, then Sam and the offense drive the ball down the feild but cant punch it in, Ron doesn't go for it. and Slye misses the FG / has it blocked. Then the last drive of the game. Not to mention the Terry TD catch that was called back (I don't think he was touched). 

I'm going to complain about th defense today because Davis played like a turd. Young had another sack today called back because of Davis. Dude gave up both TDs. 

4 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

There most certainly is not.

But that does not mean you should use it to support your entire body weight.

We don't laugh in the face of death we spit at it.

Just now, IrepDC said:

You can proclaim all of those people agreeing with you out of thin air all you want, but the film doesn't lie. Are you claiming we don't do rollouts, we don't scheme quick crosses, use motions and shifts, use slants, have hot routes, or use screens? EB has added every element you use to hide a bad OL. The film will either agree or disagree.

What film are you talking about?  How does EB "run circles" around Scott Turner?  I want you to specifically list and explain to us how EB runs circles around Turner.  In your "tape watching sessions", what have you seen specifically that we're missing when it comes to EB's play-calling and handling of this offense?  Except for one game and a few decent quarters, he's done nothing much to establish himself as the solution to our offensive woes but he damn sure has established reasons why he's a liability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

We have quick hitters in the offense, though. We have been running #17 on quick slants the past 2 weeks. We even have a hot route for hitches when the defense is playing off coverage- something we begged for for years. We try to establish the run and our OL gets thrown into the RBs. I'm just not seeing what the group is seeing with EB. Maybe because I have been going back and watching games over.

13 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Good games were there:

Terry

Payne

Logan

Chase (one of his best games)

Tress Way

Crowder

Rodriguez

Stromberg

But the bad.....

They have to do something with the O-line. Only good players are Leno and Cosmi. Played better once Stromberg went in for Charles.

Leno - Wylie - Stromberg - Cosmi - Lucas

And run a ton more with Rodriguez, aka the back with good vision.

CRod is the starting back. I don't care about draft status and perspective and history and whatever. he's the better back. 

• Thumb up 1