Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Can't Think of a Witty Giant Pun

KDawg

Offense

Howell was rattled and erratic. He settled down and looked okay. Not much more to say on him. This game didn't do much for me either way on him.

The offensive line, however, confirmed that they are not very good. Shocker. I know. SIP has posted a tweet saying Howell's average time to pressure today was 2.25 seconds. The guy wasn't even at the top of his drop when the Giants were running at him. That is literally a QB killer. Can't have that. And they don't run block, either. So I'm not sure what they can do that doesn't show how bad they are. We currently have the top two OL in pressures allowed (Wylie and Charles) and Cosmi is in the top 10. I'd love to see where Gates ranks because today alone probably shot him up the list. Why isn't Lucas starting?

I'm not sure what the gameplan was. I thought I heard EB say he knew we were going to get blitzed. He was right. Didn't seem to help to know. 

I'm also not entirely sure what has happened to our receivers. I think the whole team is shell shocked. 

Here are some positives:

Terry McLaurin was 10th in Washington Football history in receiving yards at 4,623 yards. With 90 yards today he moved to 4,713 yards... That passes #9 Chris Cooley who had 4,711.

#8 is Hugh Taylor at 5,233 yards. 

As far as yards per game, only three Washington receivers had better careers than Terry: 

#1 Gary Clark (71.7)

#2 DeSean Jackson (69.3)

#3 Laveranues Coles (67.3)

#4 Terry McLaurin (67)

Defense

We got some sacks today. Still a toss up for which DE to keep... if either wants to come back. We've put ourselves in a position where they could both very easily decide to move on. That may not be the worst thing for us but it sure as heck isn't a good thing. Young was probably the defensive player of the game: 2 sacks, 3 TFL.

St Juste had 4 PDs but he also got torched a few times. They were certainly going after him today. 

Quan Martin had a nice series and a punt return play before his day ended.

I don't know. The defense wasn't great but it held a team to 14 points so it was good enough to win. So I can't be mad other than the way they started allowed us to fall in a hole. But who knew 14 points would be insurmountable. 

Specs

Crowder had some good returns today. Slye had a kick blocked. Way did better punting but then failed to coffin corner on a big play. Specs weren't great today.

Other

I'm miffed why we didn't decline the penalty to make it fourth down for the Giants.

And also why we kept throwing with about a minute and change left in the half and we were backed up in our own end. Run it. Get to the half. Yeesh. 

Studs and Duds:

I don't know. Did we have many of these today?

*** - Chase Young

** - Terry McLaurin

* - Kam Curl

:( - St Juste

:(  :( :(  - Gates, Wylie, Charles, 

Season Studs/Duds

10x* - Terry McLaurin

8x* - Kam Curl

5x* - Daron Payne

5x*- Montez Sweat

4x* - Chase Young

4x* - Brian Robinson

4x* - Sam Howell

4x* - Curtis Samuel

3x* - Casey Toohill

2x* - Kendall Fuller

2x* - Jamison Crowder

2x* - Jon Allen

1x* - Ben St Juste

1x* - Darrick Forrest

1x* - Logan Thomas

1x* - Antonio Gibson

1x* - Jamin Davis

3x :( - Nick Gates

4x :( - Saadhiq Charles

1x :( - Percy Butler

3x :( - Cody Barton

4x :( - Cheeseman 

8x :( - Andrew Wylie

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

How the heck is EB at 3x? Shoulda got three sad faces today with that play calling. Pathetic.

I stopped tracking the coaches weeks ago... per my response in another one of these.

I should remove them entirely. Editing now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Jon Allen. Not happy. NSFW language.

Hey Jon, I know you live it every day in the facility and it’s hard on you… but this sums up the last 30 years

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Would not surprise me in the least bit if he asked for a trade

Me either. And Young and Sweat walk without a second thought. Payne’s gonna be looking around like, “wtf?”

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the first half Howell's average time to throw was 2.23 seconds.  You barely even hit the top of your drop back in 2 seconds.  What are people expecting Howell to do working under those conditions?  Finally in the second half (more like 4th quarter) they had Howell rolling the pocket, buying more time and like magic he started dropping some dimes to Terry that got the team back into the game.  Going into the season with this O-line trying to protect a first year starter should be considered coaching malpractice.

I am not sure if EB knows something we don't about his job security, but the way he calls games (outside of how balanced things were in the Eagles game) it's as if he feels he is using this season to get the offense familiar for what's to come in the future versus looking for ways to win games now.

A lot of debates on what was worse the Bears loss or this loss. For me it is a no-brainer that it is this loss because the Bears game got away from them so fast that I wasn't expecting much once down 0-28, but today the team was never down more than 0-14 and tbh, The Giants didn't really stop looking terrible either, it was just that we looked worse.  The Giants offense only had 1 good drive in the second half and it resulted in zero points due to the Barkley fumble. The Giants are still a bad team that was simply waiting around to get beaten today and we couldn't get the job done.

On that last play of the game.....anyone blaming Howell, please stop. Dude had to once again escape pressure and make a throw on the run, the ball hits Dotson in both of his hands and was dropped.  This is the NFL, you were picked in the 1st round. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THAT CATCH.   Give me a break saying the pass wasn't good enough.

Can't really complain about the defense today since they only gave up 14 and the plays they did give up (mainly the big catches) still seemed to be scheme issues, once again leaving corners on the island. 

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

On that last play of the game.....anyone blaming Howell, please stop. Dude had to once again escape pressure and make a throw on the run, the ball hits Dotson in both of his hands and was dropped.  This is the NFL, you were picked in the 1st round. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THAT CATCH.   Give me a break saying the pass wasn't good enough

I missed this, but we should find whoever is saying that and have them admitted into the psych ward.

That was probably the best play Howell made all day to escape, buy time and put one on Dotson.  Dotson heard footsteps and failed to catch the ball like he’s done at multiple critical junctures this season.  He owes Sam and the entire team apology.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Wasn't everyone predicting a breakout year from Dotson this year?

The frustrating part about it is the kid is getting open but he suddenly can't catch the ball.  Last season the only big gimme catch I can remember him dropping was against the 49ers, that very well could have been a house call had he caught it (Watched it from my seats in Levi stadium).  

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I missed this, but we should find whoever is saying that and have them admitted into the psych ward.

That was probably the best play Howell made all day to escape, buy time and put one on Dotson.  Dotson heard footsteps and failed to catch the ball like he’s done at multiple critical junctures this season.  He owes Sam and the entire team apology.

I’m pretty sure either Tiki Barber or Matt Ryan said it. 😞

• Like 2

Good games were there:

Terry

Payne

Logan

Chase (one of his best games)

Tress Way

Crowder

Rodriguez

Stromberg

But the bad.....

They have to do something with the O-line. Only good players are Leno and Cosmi. Played better once Stromberg went in for Charles.

Leno - Wylie - Stromberg - Cosmi - Lucas

And run a ton more with Rodriguez, aka the back with good vision.

• Like 1

Not a lot of JDR talk. They were missing 3 starting OL and their starting QB yet the OL handled our DL most of the game...HOW?

And Wink blitzed at least one almost every play. He knew we had a weak OL and a young QB and took advantage.

We did we not take advantage to their weakness and pressure the ***t out of Tyrod?

Another loss on the staff...lack of preparedness....do you effing job!

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

In a game that had a lot of things to piss anyone off, the thing that pissed me off the most was Wylie getting a 15 yard penalty on the interception. It’s one thing to have your ass handed to you play in, play out. But then, as a veteran, make such a selfish play to put the defense in an even worse position. Then Ron and EB don’t do anything about it. You have Lucas on the bench (who is better by the way). 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Where does this unit rank on the worst offensive lines we have ever had here? Has to be at the top right? I don’t think I have ever seen a line as bad as this. Center gets abused on a play by play basis. Both tackles commit so many penalties that we can’t even start drives most times. And they are all the planned starters lol. It’s laughable. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

This team is a how-to not clinic on resource allocation and execution.  That’s leadership.  Period.  Stevie wonder can see this.  I’m absolutely for a fire sell at this point.  
time to stack chances at better resources…with a completely new, forward thinking, play to win approach 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1