Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: I Can't Think of a Witty Giant Pun

KDawg

Jonn Keim on the Junkies right now.  He thinks Howell can be legit.  But again doubling down that they didn't do enough to build this O line to help him.  Guys are getting pushed into Howell's lap even when he's not being hit-sacked.  

He talked about why all the 5 step drops, not moving Howell more in the pocket? Look at the adjustments the Giants made to help their O line. 

In short, the off season and playcalling didn't help.  Keim said there are people in that locker room (I presume players) who feel the same way.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Allen’s rant is frustration. He handled it relatively well. Didn’t crush the reporter, didn’t point fingers. 

I’m not sure it did much for anyone but it probably made him feel better so that is what it is.

I took it as an indirect hit at the coaches.  They are on this hamster wheel, same old, same old. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Keim was asked by the Junkies doesn't Ron come off checked out.

Keim's response is that he feels that Ron is very surprised, Ron thought he built a really good roster and so referenced that he might be a bit shell shocked.  He didn't use the word shell-shocked but that's the vibe he gave about what might be hitting Ron.

And Keim goes Ron knows his fate is sealed it the season doesn't go well

This part was Keim talking about his own take.  This schedule is favorable early, they had to get off to a good start, another bad start likely would doom the season.  He didn't say whether he thinks Ron feels that way.  So this clearly doesn't bode well.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's response is that he feels that Ron is very surprised, Ron thought he built a really good roster and so referenced that he might be a bit shell shocked.  He didn't use the word shell-shocked but that's the vibe he gave about what might be hitting Ron.

This part was Keim talking about his own take.  This schedule is favorable early, they had to get off to a good start, another bad start likely would doom the season.  He didn't say whether he thinks Ron feels that way.  So this clearly doesn't bode well.

I just want to know where the delusion comes from. The football donks knew every weakness of this team in January and again in July. Why didn’t Ron and Co?

• Like 6

7 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Even a mediocre O-line can play run football. Players love it.

Going against all reasonable logic here by passing almost 40 times per game.

Our interior O’Line could not block the Giants DTs. Gates in particular was being destroyed.

We kept trying to run inside zone. EB did try to run it but it was going at less than 3 yards a pop, hard to keep running when you are continually getting behind the chain when you do.

But the question is why no adjustment. Why not start running more outside zone or off tackle gap? Don’t just keep running into their defensive strength.  The lack of adjustment generally in that first half was unacceptable and that’s on the OC.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Stihl89 said:

I just want to know where the delusion comes from. The football donks knew every weakness of this team in January and again in July. Why didn’t Ron and Co?

Dont know.  Some here (granted a vocal minority) believed they did enough for the O line among other things and were feisty arguing that point.   Most of us felt they didn't do nearly enough and it will explode their season.  It's unfolding exactly like that.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Davis is certainly good, but we had a better player available at a position of great need.

There is almost always going to be somebody better then the guy you picked at every selection, that’s the benefit of hindsight.

The real problem is they completely blew the evaluation. They were looking for a stud starting MLB and they got a good OLB LB who took 3 years to develop.  

The evaluation was bad.  

The draft is a complete crap shoot. You have to do the work and then get lucky.  Most picks don’t work out.  But this one was fairly obvious pretty quickly.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Everyone in that front office and coaching staff has to know they are done. The players know it as well.

Its going to be a long season and an awful environment to develop young players, especially a QB.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jonn Keim on the Junkies right now.  He thinks Howell can be legit.

SIP your a far cooler head than I, while I don't think Howell is necessarily poor by any means, has he really shown enough through 7 to stop Washington drafting QB if they're picking in or around that top 5 this year?

Appreciate it's tough to get a read of a guy when the O line is so bad, but he also has to take a portion of the responsibility for the sack numbers.

Edited by BrentMeisterGeneral
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

D was alright.

D-line did their job, but its hard to look good when you gotta visually compete w/ whoever is playing our O-line

Sweat and Young both look like guys that want to get paid, and that is good.

Quan got back in the game after an injury scare and got some burn. Forbes got some reps late... Small steps for the young guys.

O was... Unspeakably bad.

Just terrible, nonfunctional and lead by pure incompetence and hubris.

At this point you might as well lock the O into the black jerseys. If they are gonna play like trash they might as well look like trash bags.

If the DL was up against the Giants starting 5 then I would have no issue with your comments. They however were up against a rag tag group thrown together with bubble gum yesterday. Based on the talent amassed on our line, they should have controlled the game. They did not. Now it's not all on them, as our DC should have sent in occasional added pressure like any normal DC would do, but they alone should have been able to handle lollipop guild.

The staff on both sides of the ball failed to have this team prepared for this game and failed to make any worthy adjustments on either side of the ball. Oh wait, they did run the ball a couple times in a row in the 3rd quarter, good job EB

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dont know.  Some here (granted a vocal minority) believed they did enough for the O line among other things and were feisty arguing that point.   Most of us felt they didn't do nearly enough and it will explode their season.  It's unfolding exactly like that.

It’s not just the O’Line though, it’s the lack of adjustment to play around the limitations of the O’Line. 

No one on the Giants OL yesterday would start for us. But their OC knew it was a problem so didn’t ask his QB to take constant 5 step drops or run slow developing play action. He threw some fades, moved his QB around, gave him quick easy throws. Knew it would be tough to run but stayed with it and showed some variety. He found a way to get production from a very average QB and an OL that was full of guys they signed off practice squads a week ago.

I still don’t know what our offensive game plan coming into the game was, the play calling was flat embarrassing and it took a whole half to make simple adjustments that bozos like us were screaming for after the first series.

Coaching and personnel decisions are killing us. And all of that ultimately is Riveras responsibility.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

SIP your a far cooler head than I, while I don't think Howell is necessarily poor by any means, has he really shown enough through 7 to stop Washington drafting QB if they're picking in or around that top 5 this year?

Appreciate it's tough to get a read of a guy when the O line is so bad, but he also has to take a portion of the responsibility for the sack numbers.

I think we as fans are mired in this QB over everything routine. And to some extent that is absolutely the truth… An elite QB makes you a contender for a decade plus. The problem is that it’s hard to find that elite QB. They are difficult to find and there are more than a few who were had beyond the first round that are currently NFL starters. And some who are starting just because of the investment. 

I’m not saying you don’t need a QB to be successful. You absolutely do. 

But our offensive line is so bad that throwing a QB back there isn’t going to change much. Right now we’ve allowed 40 sacks. If we had a QB other than Howell it would be what? 30? That is still near the worst amount of sacks in the NFL. And that’s with a young QB making great decisions on nearly every play.

Drafting a QB to draft one is a strategy that can pay off if you repeat it over and over, but no one wants to do that every year. So what winds up happening MOST of the time is they give the draftee a few years.

In our case, putting anyone behind this current line should be considered criminal.

I don’t see how, with a top pick, you don’t go for the best tackle available and continue to look to the IOL in the next rounds. As long as you have guys graded close to that range, pull the trigger. Don’t reach beyond a guy’s worth. Take the best players. 

Now, if we draft 5th and Drake Maye falls in our lap you HAVE to think about it. Maybe a trade is better for us, maybe drafting him is better…

But you have to consider it. 

I’d probably try a short trade back and go OT and roll with Howell another year. 

If he still takes a ton of sacks with a revamped OL then the eval is complete, the team will struggle and we’ll find ourselves in a place to take a QB. 

But before anyone is put behind center here we need to fix the OL. That needs to be the absolute highest priority, imo.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It is harder to watch Pace blow up the league than it is to watch Mayo. BTW, he actually looked good on that play compared to some of the ones I can recall. Same for Hudson, he looked awful on a few plays and I could not watch the LB's on a lot of plays. Just awful LB play all year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is almost always going to be somebody better then the guy you picked at every selection, that’s the benefit of hindsight.

The real problem is they completely blew the evaluation. They were looking for a stud starting MLB and they got a good OLB LB who took 3 years to develop.  

The evaluation was bad.  

The draft is a complete crap shoot. You have to do the work and then get lucky.  Most picks don’t work out.  But this one was fairly obvious pretty quickly.  

This is obviously true. But in that specific case it's not just that "somebody" was better. It's the player that most of the people here wanted and that was most frequently mocked to us. A local kid, born in Petersburgh, Viriginia and went to Virginia Tech. He also played at the greatest position of need, which is also an absolute premium position. The analytics guys liked him also. He might now be a top-5 player at his position, the position which is the greates need we have. These players basically never get on the market. You can get a decent linebacker every offseason if you are willing to spend some money. This is an absurd miss, that should not have happened for a variety of reasons.

I agree, the draft is a crap shoot. But you should still play the odds to some degree. If we had drafted Darrisaw and passed on Davis while Darrisaw busted and Davis became a top-5 player, it would have also hurt. But it would still have made sense from the process and it wouldn't have hurt us in the same way as missing this way round because the opportunity cost would not have been that high.

• Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, El Mexican said:

I have never seen a team less inclined to run the damn ball. Just 76 yards today.

This is supposed to be the easiest play in football and we just can't get any sort of running game going. It's pathetic.

Seems EB is one of those Xbox Madden fan boys that just insists on winning with 40+ passes every game

even if he knows his method is just wrong and completely unbalanced.

The problem is they can't run the ball not that they don't try.  

I'm not going to look it up to get he exact numbers, but through the first 20 plays, they were almost an even split.  The problem is they are running for about 2.2 yards per clip, with a bunch of 0 and 1 yard runs.  For this team, at least in the first half, a run = a wasted play and leads to a known passing situation which leads to a sack and a punt.

For whatever reason, it takes EB about a half to figure this out.  

If they started out with a more pass-first approach, and didn't try and run the ball at all, most likely, they'd be more productive and then could mix in the run when they had established the pass.

But what they are doing is not working.

The OL is not good enough to move DLs. So unless they can "trick" a defense with scheme, they can't run the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is on Bieniemy. The more I read about this stuff, the worse the game plan and adjustments look--and I am not one to complain about hypothetical adjustments without any substantiation. 

It’s not hindsight either. We had people in the game thread calling for the adjustments after the first series and pointing out what they should be.

Unacceptable.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Even a mediocre O-line can play run football. Players love it.

Going against all reasonable logic here by passing almost 40 times per game.

No they can't.  I can want to play power forward for the Knicks all I want.  I'm not good enough.  

They're not good enough.  They can want to do it and they'll still suck at it.