Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Washington @ Atlanta

zCommander

5 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Howell can play in this league. However, he seems dead set on setting a new NFL record for sacks taken. 

Our line is crap, but he is holding onto the ball far too long and taking a ton of unnecessary sacks. 

Yup. Large flaw that he needs to work on, hopefully he can work on that internal clock and pocket awareness. And hopefully the next FO supplies him an OL that doesn’t exacerbate his largest obvious flaw. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

This is a win that pisses you off in April in the draft. I think they lose this game with really any other starter in the league. 

This was a battle between two teams just begging for new staffs. We may have won the battle today but it’s going to hurt us in the long run. I’m now out on Sam. His sack totals are just going to be super high. It’s not going to be considerably better. 

I agree with the rest of your post but I’m not willing to say that about Howell after 7 starts. It is right now his glaring flaw and is clearly part of his DNA as a player. I’m not willing to say he’ll never learn to mitigate it, though. I think it’s possible. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Don’t really see any optimism to take from this win, but I’m in “subsist until Black Monday” mode personally minus observing Howell’s development. 

It was rough, and there may have been more bad than good, but there were a couple bright spots to pull from for me.

-The D had an effective gameplan. They picked their poison. The only way we were gonna lose was if Ridder beat us, and he was bad today. That was a running team and we took their strength away for the vast majority of the game.

-The O committed to the run game. Nearly unheard of.

-We targeted WRs to an insane degree. 1 tgt to a TE. actually comical in the other direction.

The D executed what they wanted to do and the O showed a pathway that better focuses on its strengths.

The D has to be the backbone of this team. Its how it is constructed. The O cashed in on short fields.

Neither side was great, but baby steps.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So are the Falcons.

We're inconsistent, not the same as bad.

If we're over .500 after the Patriots game, j don't care which we are, we in the conversation at least

I disagree about the inconsistent thing. We’re bad. Allen, Payne, Davis, Fuller, Curl, St. Juste, Sweat, Young, and several depth guys have been here 3+ years and playing together in the same defense and they’re STILL inconsistent, not to mention undisciplined. The league moves too fast. That should’ve been enough time with that many players for at least a Solid defense to coalesce. Hasn’t happened.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So are the Falcons.

We're inconsistent, not the same as bad.

If we're over .500 after the Patriots game, j don't care which we are, we in the conversation at least

don’t you get sick of having this mindset 

It's a win, but it was about as satisfying as a tie.  Washington showed it still has problems to fix, and was lucky that Atlanta had major QB problems today.

One good thing, this gives Washington's defensive backfield more time to get used to the new players and coordinating better.

1 minute ago, Birdlives said:

I disagree about the inconsistent thing. We’re bad. Allen, Payne, Davis, Fuller, Curl, St. Juste, Sweat, Young, and several depth guys have been here 3+ years and playing together in the same defense and they’re STILL inconsistent, not to mention undisciplined. The league moves too fast. That should’ve been enough time with that many players for at least a Solid defense to coalesce. Hasn’t happened.

Were average.

Period.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its been line that every game.

I have no patience for receivers with bad hands.

He is supposed to have great hands and be precise in running routes

1 minute ago, BleedBNG said:

Last year we were 2-4 at this time. Hopefully next week our D won't make Jones look like Mahomes.

Perhaps Jones will still be out - i heard he was out today with his neck injury

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yup. Large flaw that he needs to work on, hopefully he can work on that internal clock and pocket awareness. And hopefully the next FO supplies him an OL that doesn’t exacerbate his largest obvious flaw. 

I don’t think anyone disagrees that he can play. But is it to an elite level that you need in this league to really be competing for SBs? Don’t see it. 

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

We needed every one of those 3 picks to win, this team is sketchy across the board.  We really don't do anything with consistency besides take sacks.

That's wholly untrue!

We also give up a lot of third and long conversions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

It was rough, and there may have been more bad than good, but there were a couple bright spots to pull from for me.

-The D had an effective gameplan. They picked their poison. The only way we were gonna lose was if Ridder beat us, and he was bad today. That was a running team and we took their strength away for the vast majority of the game.

-The O committed to the run game. Nearly unheard of.

-We targeted WRs to an insane degree. 1 tgt to a TE. actually comical in the other direction.

The D executed what they wanted to do and the O showed a pathway that better focuses on its strengths.

The D has to be the backbone of this team. Its how it is constructed. The O cashed in on short fields.

Neither side was great, but baby steps.

I see some of these things as purely variance, some as actually bad. Not strongly enough to argue too much about it but I don’t see anything EB did with the run game as really showing any sort of commitment to it or understanding of how to scheme and call it effectively. I actually saw a lot of the same flaws, the Falcons just weren’t good enough to punish us for them, so they likely continue rather than being learned from, which spells worse things in the future. 

Won’t even get into the defense, it’s bad. They dared Ridder to beat them with his arm and despite being awful, he almost did and had a chance. We only were able to make them pick that poison and “succeed” and win because Ridder is that bad. A slightly better QB would have beaten us despite a full commitment to stopping their run game.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1