Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Washington @ Atlanta

zCommander

Running to milk the clock because you have a lead.. doesn't always work as often as fans clamor for it. Short of dominance at the LOS its tough sledding out there especially when the offense stops doing the only thing that had been working.  The short WCO pass is like a run.

Edited by RandyHolt

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Running to milk the clock because you have a lead.. doesn't always work as often as fans clamor for it. Short of dominance at the LOS its tough sledding out there especially when the offense stops doing the only thing that had been working.  The short WCO pass is like a run.

Yeah I was ok with the passes we mixed in. We just couldn’t execute at all save for the Terry catch and run. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

🤭

Screenshot_20231015-211532_Facebook.thumb.jpg.32a85b33a14f1e75f99d89a03a1b1745.jpg

One guy eats steak and the other can play QB in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

The heat I’ve ever seen a clock kill drive run was mid 2000’s colts.  They stayed no-huddle, snapped the ball at less than 5 seconds and mixed run and short pass almost evenly.  Because they showed they were willing to do anything, everything was effective.

If you tell everybody you’re going to run, it’s actually harder to do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Detroit game today. Up by 14. They get the ball back from a punt at their own 16 with 10:37 left to play. What do they do? Pass, false start, pass, pass, rush, pass, pass, rush, pass, incomplete, rush, sack, punt. Tampa gets the ball back with 3:45 left at their 2. They didn’t get points, but they didn’t go into a shell and stayed in rhythm.

I want to get to there.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Only it isn't. Too risky. Eagles demonstrated that today.

Our version of the WCO is primitive and leaves the running game as an afterthought.

This is a mistake since we don't have the personell to pull it of. We ain't The Greatest Show on Turf by a nautical mile.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Only it isn't. Too risky. Eagles demonstrated that today.

Our version of the WCO is primitive and leaves the running game as an afterthought.

This is a mistake since we don't have the personell to pull it of. We ain't The Greatest Show on Turf by a nautical mile.

I mean it didn’t work today for them but I was at their game last week in LA and they churned that game out with plenty of passes late. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day a team usually needs a first down or 2 to finish off teams COMPLETELY. Many think the only way to do it is run into a brick wall hope for a soft D/first down otherwise are happy to punt and hope the defense holds up. Don't you dare run outside, either. Oh and don't shank that punt again or give up a big return. Blocked punts dont happen too often to worry about. I used to be a original member of the burn the clock club. After all, its what we witnessed our entire lives. John Madden taught us. It's old school thinking to trade a possession to burn 90 seconds of clock or timeouts, as the highest priority e.g. THAT is how you finish off opponents. Actually you are deferring to your defense to finish them. Is the defense undisputed the strength of the team, or is the DC as passive as Mister Rogers?  Possessions? Now coaches kill themselves to try to eek out an extra possession at the end of the first half. We used to never see that 20 years ago. Heck even 10. Possessions are valuable its why turnovers control games. You sure you want to give one up??

3 times outs, vs no timeouts, feeble offense vs Joe Montana led 9ers, 85 Bears D vs Commanders D, its not always cut and dried to milk-n-punt.

So we run because its guaranteed to milk the clock... unless you get one of those countless holding penalties that we have all witnessed hundreds of times. Thousands for some of us. Or fumblrooski aka Joe PIsarcik. Nothing is guaranteed. Mahomes wants you to run run run aka no chance of scoring punt so he gets the ball back, vs not getting the ball at all. He doesn't need but 30 seconds to get into FG range.

I still contend by prioritizing milking you run risk of running out the clock on yourself should YOU need to score after them. When milking guarantees one play 80 yards away, sure go for it.

Advanced stats may show a team that scores too fast often gets another chance to score again. Only its not advanced. It just happens through the normal course of the game being extremely unpredictable.

Edited by RandyHolt

12 hours ago, Redd said:

I’ve always like Fuller too.

Buffalo has a real issue in their secondary and needs a veteran corner. If we could get a third for Fuller would you deal him? 

These are the kinds of moves we should be considering given that Kendall is a free agent after this season and we are likely going to lose him anyway. He is playing well and could really help a contending team while we could use all of the draft capital we can get. 

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Buffalo has a real issue in their secondary and needs a veteran corner. If we could get a third for Fuller would you deal him? 

These are the kinds of moves we should be considering given that Kendall is a free agent after this season and we are likely going to lose him anyway. He is playing well and could really help a contending team while we could use all of the draft capital we can get. 

Fuller is a captain on defense. You don't deal guys like him midseason unless you are giving up on the year, and this coaching staff can't afford to give up on the year.  They can't be sellers this season, doing that would be tantamount to resigning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Fuller is a captain on defense. You don't deal guys like him midseason unless you are giving up on the year, and this coaching staff can't afford to give up on the year.  They can't be sellers this season, doing that would be tantamount to resigning.

Kendall Fuller is only 28 years old and is clearly the best corner we have. If we aren't looking to deal him then we should be looking at extending him, especially if he's a captain. Hopefully something is being considered before the trade deadline on October 31st. Losing Fuller for nothing this offseason would be a tough pill to swallow the way things are looking thus far this season as he's been our top corner this season. 

Here's a report I found on him from this summer. The part about Forbes is obviously concerning.

Fuller is entering the final year of his contract, Luke Jackson of Press Box reports.

Fuller is about to become the rare free-agent signing to play out the entirety of a multi-year contract -- four years, $40 million -- and he's doing it with a team that drafted him but then traded him to the Chiefs after two seasons. He spent two years in Kansas City and now has started 47 of a possible 50 games in three years since his return to Washington, with 179 tackles (138 solo), 40 pass defenses and eight interceptions in that span. Fuller should continue in an every-down role this season, though he might soon be the team's No. 2 corner instead of No. 1, after the Commanders spent a first-round pick on Emmanuel Forbes this April. Fuller, Forbes and Benjamin St-Juste will be the team's top three cornerbacks to start the season.

• Like 1

On both sides of the ball we need to see if some of the backups should be starting.  Toohill for example looked good in limited playing time yesterday.

Cornelius Lucas who filled in for Leno played well too.  Or if you don't start them then at least substitute them into the game when the starters look either tired or unproductive.

• Like 2

Has anyone asked this question:

Trying to run out the clock at the end of the game, what is Gibson doing in there when ball security is paramount to anything else? I understand trying to show confidence in a guy but haven't we learned that Gibson isn't the strongest guy with the ball between the tackles? Who's making these types of decisions? 

11 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I mean it didn’t work today for them but I was at their game last week in LA and they churned that game out with plenty of passes late. 

And they'll win other games mainly bc of their really good passing game. Eagles are for real.

In no way shape or form are we close to them regarding the passing game.

Anyone catch the end of the glorious Jets game?

We talk about milking the clock etc. Philly let Breece Hall score so they could get the ball back after their RB threw yet another INT. Philly coach wouldn't say if they did or not which means they did.  Coaching has changed a ton including time management and doing anything you can to get an extra possession.

I think coaches now focus on not letting teams get that extra possession by passing for first downs to ice games late with a higher priority than milking the clock and punting.

Edited by RandyHolt

I'm not trading Fuller for anything less than a 1st and even then I'd think about it. Dude is as solid a CB as you're gonna find when you consider how volatile the position is. I'd work to resign him long term this off season.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Anyone catch the end of the glorious Jets game?

We talk about milking the clock etc. Philly let Breece Hall score so they could get the ball back after their RB threw yet another INT. Philly coach wouldn't say if they did or not which means they did.  Coaching has changed a ton including time management and doing anything you can to get an extra possession.

I think it was silly to let the Jets score. Eagles D had been real good all game. I'd stop em and hold em to a FG(which is never guaranteed from that distance in the outdoor cold NJ air). And then, all you need is a FG to win with a ton of explosive skill players. I like those chances better then letting them score and now needing a TD to win just to conserve some time outs.

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not trading Fuller for anything less than a 1st and even then I'd think about it. Dude is as solid a CB as you're gonna find when you consider how volatile the position is. I'd work to resign him long term this off season.

I think it was silly to let the Jets score. Eagles D had been real good all game. I'd stop em and hold em to a FG(which is never guaranteed from that distance in the outdoor cold NJ air). And then, all you need is a FG to win with a ton of explosive skill players. I like those chances better then letting them score and now needing a TD to win just to conserve some time outs.

The Eagles had 2 timeouts left, and that interception was thrown after the 2 minute warning.  If they hadn't let the Jets score and held them to a FG, they'd probably get the ball back with less than a minute left and no TO's.  With the way the Jets D was playing all game long, I kind of agree with letting the Jets score the TD there.  You have an extra 40 seconds and two timeouts.  It's risky, but I can see why the Eagles coach opted for that scenario.  If Hurts wasn't off all game long, it could've worked.  I don't know what they were doing on 4th down though.  You need 8 yards, and you have a TO, why are you throwing 40 YDS down the field?  The execution on that final Eagles drive there made no sense.