Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Bea

KDawg

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Because you listen to Sip too much.  :ols: 

lol, I don't mind owning mistakes. 😎. Not sure if Barton though is one.  I never pushed signing him on the FA thread.  I knew nothing about him in FA.

But once they signed him, I read that he came on towards the end of his last season.  So i watched a couple of those games, and agreed with that sentiment, PFF grades, etc.  He was all over the field in those 2 games.  So it gave me some optimism.

But apparently he was either a flash in the pan or as the beat guys have said (assume they heard it from the coaches) he's struggiling to pick up the scheme and is a beat behind.  So his PFF scores among other things now suck. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, I don't mind owning mistakes. 😎. Not sure if Barton though is one.  I never pushed signing him on the FA thread.  I knew nothing about him in FA.

I don't recall you doing so either, but it was a funny comment by kool!

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hate this comment.  It fluffs over saying, this dude sucks but we are stuck with him...boy did I mess up thinking he'd be better than Holcomb.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its William Jackson all over again. We sign a player who is dumb as rocks, OR the scheme is just overly complicated for no reason.

Yes, can the scheme really be that complicated?  Or is he dumb or does he not know how to properly prepare?

I think he has slow instincts and in general is slow to react getting him late to move towards the carrier or be able to slide through blockers. 

Study all you want, I think he processes too slow and is backup material only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Barton wasn't a bad player in Seattle, but they're known for running a very simple scheme.

I do feel like we begin most seasons with super complicated schemes but then we adjust after early struggles and end up stabilizing and playing well.

Our defensive scheme is somehow complex for our players, yet simple for opposing offenses to decipher. We have the worst of both worlds. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its William Jackson all over again. We sign a player who is dumb as rocks, OR the scheme is just overly complicated for no reason.

The scheme does ask more of backers - whether that is for no good reason is arguable.

They want to take advantage of the strength they have in the D'Line, so they ask them to play downhill and get up field. Kind of a 1 gap philosophy with a bit of 'tackle the back on the way to the QB' about it. Behind that the backers are not playing 1 gap - they have to read the D'line and adjust to what they do and where they go - kind of 2 gap but not even really that. Its more on the plate of the backers and probably explains why Barton is a tick late in reaction. He's still adjusting - its part of why its taken Davis longer to really play to a decent level.

It makes sense at one level. Unleash the best part of your D. But you are then asking more of (arguably) the worse part of the D - and that might not be wise ...

• Like 3

There was a run where we had both DTs lined up outside of each Guard and both DEs lined up wide 9 outside of the Tackles. The LBs were playing off. So the Bears smartly audible to a run up the middle and easily gash us because there's literally no one there. 

A more innovative Defensive Coordinator wouldn't telegraph like that unless it's a trap i.e. stunting back to the middle or blitzing the middle. Or when we telegraph man coverage with our rookie CB against a top 10 WR, a more innovative DC would use that as bait and role coverage that way. Instead when we telegraph weaknesses, it is exactly what it appears to be. A weakness. Easily exploitable and there for an offense to attack all game.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Hasn't this been the Patriots slogan since BB arrived there?

Maybe not since he arrived, but it definitely is a major catchphrase of their team the last decade plus or so. 

It was pretty ubiquitous here in NE for a long time. People quoted it in all kinds of different contexts.

Any other football team using it now is frankly pretty embarrassing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

We are once again reminded that we haven't had a competent defensive defensive caller since Loudon Flechter retired a decade ago.

Good point.  Remember how good they were defensively with Antonio Pierce.  He leaves to go to the Giants, and then their defense rises up.  Our defense falls off a cliff the next season but rebounds with London Fletcher who he arrives.

Fletcher was arguably the last good MLB here. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise